Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

nuxxx wrote: »
    Why so? Most of these reregs are just trolls who've been previously banned from boards

:facepalm:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Am I missing something? Guy joined a few weeks ago and is saying travellers are a positive entity to Ireland. Well whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Am I missing something?

Either the fullness of your shilling or the last can in your six pack I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

orestes wrote: »
    I haven't at any point in this thread given my personal opinion on travellers, I have just said that the way the thread was posted was going to lead to sterotypical vitriol rather than discussion.

I see your point that there will be people on this thread who have maybe just met a few travellers and their experiences will be skewed.

Still, given the amount of people who hold a negative viewpoint ( that I know ) well you know everyones not wrong on this.

Personally I consider myself a decent person. I really don't care about anyones creed, skin colour or nationality. But when I see ( imo ) a big share of one group out committing crime and not contributing like everyone else in the state then I don't see why I should shut up because it's not seen as being politically correct.

Am I missing something? Guy joined a few weeks ago and is saying travellers are a positive entity to Ireland. Well whatever

Have you given any thought to the irony of making such a generalised post in the context of this thread?

• Advertisement

Either the fullness of your shilling or the last can in your six pack I reckon.

If you think travellers have a positive impact on this little island your taking something alot stronger than drink or out of touch with reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I joined the same time and disagree with him/her. What's your point exactly?

Boards was created in 1998, does that mean you were banned between 98 and 2007 at some stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Have you given any thought to the irony of making such a generalised post in the context of this thread?

It's backed up by experience in both cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why so? Most of these reregs are just trolls who've been previously banned from boards

So it couldn't just be that he joined as a new member in October of this year? People have different views and just because his views are different to yours doesn't mean he's a troll.

No, I've just been using message boards/teh internetz for a long long time and it's a bit strange for someone like yourself to be a "new" user with so many posts while subscribing. Maybe you closed a previous account or you were previously banned. I don't know. Anyhow bailing out of this thread now.

• Advertisement

No, I've just been using message boards/teh internetz for a long long time and it's a bit strange for someone like yourself to be a "new" user with so many posts while subscribing. Maybe you closed a previous account or you were previously banned. I don't know. Anyhow bailing out of this thread now.

None of it is any of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I remember a time when I was a kid & the traveller women would come into our house to get clothes that myself & my siblings had grown out of.

Mam would have Tea and cake with them afterward, have a chat, etc..

That kinda thing was normal back then in the '70s.

20 years later I was running a market stall & came across them quite a lot.

More wary of them then, but still made a few friends with them.

These days, they seem to have an arrogance about them that outweighs their importance to our society.

It's steadily getting worse & well they only have themselves to blame...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Hope you told the dirty gypos to Fuck Off outta it.
    My family and I barely have a pot to piss in nor a place to throw it out at this stage and we still get dirty gypsies calling here once a quarter telling us they're getting married and have we a few bob to give them. Me auld lad told em to clear off last time around October and the tossers threw a ****ing lighted firework in through the letterbox. a right proper shootey one it was too. a super sonic boom. lucky no one was injured. have absolutely no time for those dirty shower after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

None of it is any of your business.

Well thats were you are wrong. It's everybody's business.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I see your point that there will be people on this thread who have maybe just met a few travellers and their experiences will be skewed.

Still, given the amount of people who hold a negative viewpoint ( that I know ) well you know everyones not wrong on this.

Personally I consider myself a decent person. I really don't care about anyones creed, skin colour or nationality. But when I see ( imo ) a big share of one group out committing crime and not contributing like everyone else in the state then I don't see why I should shut up because it's not seen as being politically correct.

I have no problem with that, I just think that the way this thread was set up was just going to lead to people ranting rather than a discussion. That the subject happens to be travellers is kinda irrelevant to me, it's the pitchfork raising, shit-stirring mentality that I have issue with. It's just an excuse to throw shit at stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Hope you told the dirty gypos to Fuck Off outta it.
    My family and I barely have a pot to piss in nor a place to throw it out at this stage and we still get dirty gypsies calling here once a quarter telling us they're getting married and have we a few bob to give them. Me auld lad told em to clear off last time around October and the tossers threw a ****ing lighted firework in through the letterbox. a right proper shootey one it was too. a super sonic boom. lucky no one was injured. have absolutely no time for those dirty shower after that.
    I'm sorry but I lol'd hard. Especially the bolded part. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,039 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Op is from Limerick where their travellers get free housing in tipp town and they made the town even worse (thought it wasn't possible) . I actually saw the travellers that stabbed that American tourist (not the actual incident) on St Patricks day

I've been threatened by travellers and numerous houses near me being broken into by travellers. I have not one good word you say about travellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I'm sorry but I lol'd hard. Especially the bolded part. :D

Me too, 'shootey one' is what set me off

tdv123 wrote: »
    Well thats were you are wrong. It's everybody's business.

My join date? Well I'm flattered :o

I have no problem with that, I just think that the way this thread was set up was just going to lead to people ranting rather than a discussion. That the subject happens to be travellers is kinda irrelevant to me, it's the pitchfork raising, shit-stirring mentality that I have issue with. It's just an excuse to throw shit at stereotypes.

I can see why these threads get locked, put it that way but I think the average opinion on this thread is reflected in Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Travellers in Ireland are not comparable to black people in America. The blacks there have integrated into society while Travellers here remain on the fringes, in most cases willingly. They want all the benefits of society without any of the responsibilities.

For their small number they have a disproportionate amount of troublemakers. The stereotype didn't come out of thin air.

Or perhaps the majority are just calling it as they see it and the minority are living in a bubble or in a tree.

Did you know that at one point in history the Irish government actually classed travellers as "retarded" (as an official educational policy) complete with putting all traveller children, regardless of ability, into special classes? Or that they performed lice checks on those children in front of others?

The State also forced assimilation policies on the community-- a "be like us or f.uck off" sort of thinking that still prevails.

Even now you have people who are quick to call travellers stupid, lawless, savage, ignorant, thieves, etc. etc.

Why the f.uck, given all that and much, much more, would travellers want to integrate into a society that largely views them as scum?

My join date? Well I'm flattered :o

Your welcome.

I might be a kid but let me say this
    My dad or mom(depends who is going to open the door) When anyone comes knocking on the door we simply and my parents thought me that aswell just look out the window
    For exampe 1 week ago a man came knocking middle age around 40 not a traveller we could see he wanted to sell something as he had a van so we just did not bother opening the door
    Now say if we did open the door and they come asking for money we just simply as what they want and say ''Have you got any money''
    (If the people are those like who want to waste your time or by your looks of it are travellers,messers what ever you want to call them
    We just simply shut the door on their face straight away after they say Do you have money ?We simply say No and shut the door right across their face. That would ought to shut them up sure they would say a few bad words but what more can they do steal my house pull a gun I say they might aswel pull out a tommy 20 for all we care the time they would take to either ruin the car or break in the house would be enough time to call the police and to arrest them now if they come over night So what go and fight its your car you paid for it and if you die you would know you died trying
    (Now if they were not messer or by looks it travellers,knacker what ever you want to call them)

Now if it was serious people we would somethimes hand over a few coins or just explain lol we need some money our self :)!!! and justsay we cannot give any and shut the door even if they keep persuaing(I know it might seem rude but like what other option you got you know they never stop so...)
    I learned from my experience in this little life be scared from no one sure they might be bad and all the news killing and guns and stealing so let them do it and let them try see how well it goes

Do you smoke lots & lots of crack by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Millicent wrote: »
    Did you know that at one point in history the Irish government actually classed travellers as "retarded" (as an official educational policy) complete with putting all traveller children, regardless of ability, into special classes? Or that they performed lice checks on those children in front of others?

I remember a traveller kid in school with me, he was put into a class with people his own age (5th/6th class I think it was). He couldn't read and eventually left. Felt terrible for him years later when I understood what it was all about properly. He never stood a chance. There's also a bias against education in the travelling community that doesn't help.

The State also forced assimilation policies on the community-- a "be like us or f.uck off" sort of thinking that still prevails.

Even now you have people who are quick to call travellers stupid, lawless, savage, ignorant, thieves, etc. etc.

Why the f.uck, given all that and much, much more, would travellers want to integrate into a society that largely views them as scum?

I don't see why I should answer for a governments decision decades ago. They may have been treated poorly in the past but from what I can see, they're not doing anything to rise above it.

Do I think Travellers are born equal? Yes
    Do I think Travellers need to change how they bring up their kids? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Wasnt the state active or complicit in a lot of dealings with people in particular children that were not positive too in the past and in many ways presently also??

It wasnt only travellers that got screwed over or a raw deal,or continue to do so for that matter.

I dont consider them to be stupid, they have played the system and they are quite astute at it, however a large number of them are lawless, and most of the other things you have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The only people who have a good word to say about travellers are the doo-gooders PC brigade/professional apologists who dont have anything better to do but get involved about something they know nothing about, ive had several meetings with travellers none of them positive and thus have no respect for them or those who defend them.

Everyone else gets branded a certain way due to a minority in their own group/culture/demographic why not travellers?

I can see why these threads get locked, put it that way but I think the average opinion on this thread is reflected in Irish society.

I agree that the average opinion here is about accurate for Irish society, but it's the way they are expressed that is the problem. That's what I meant about the difference between discussion and rabble. Pitchforks just go around in circles, discussion leads to progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

If they hate this society so much why do they take its handouts?

No one is saying the Travellers should be assimilated. Others cultures on this island co-exist here just fine. People on this thread are angry at their behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

It's an invalid question because travellers are here and they always will be.

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having disabled people?

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having gay people?

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having black people?

1) Yes. Plenty of disabled people contribute to society here.
    2) Yes. Plenty of gay people contribute to society here.
    3) Yes. Plenty of black people contribute to society here.
    Travellers do not. They are leeches, taking everything they can possibly get off the state without giving anything in return. Maybe they wouldn't be hated so much if they wern't consistently involved in fighting and a broad range of criminality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement