Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

AG2R wrote: »
    Because they were a ****ing traveller. It's no different than saying man or woman at my door instead of person.

He sort of does have a point though.
    The fact that they're travellers doesn't make a difference.
    The fact that they were in jewellery and were begging, that would make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

TheUsual wrote: »
    Hey lads. The mds are all drunk

After Hours staff party tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Alsations are mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Disagree with what? The issue being discussed in the thread? There isn't one to disagree with. It's just a load of people slagging off one section of society. Write this down in your book of definitions directly under the word "bigoted".

I have had positive and negative interactions with the travelling community.
    But just one point on you above post and in relation to the OP's original post.

How many other sections of society do this?
    And by this I mean knocking on strangers door and asking for money?

And it isn't usually one person but several which can be seen as intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Padraig Nally is the only AH mod on duty tonite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Are you being sarcastic because like I said only the last 2 sentences made me laugh if they do to my door I would laugh at it aswell prob because i am a kid or not i do not know but i am very sorry if i had hurt your feelings :(

Not been sarcastic, i actually do think its a funny story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

He sort of does have a point though.
    The fact that they're travellers doesn't make a difference.
    The fact that they were in jewellery and were begging, that would make a difference.
    They have form for it, not all travellers. I'm not saying that and it's not only travellers either that do it, but its a common tactic when youre stalking a house to check around the area and find the times people are home and aren't home. I know nothing is really clear apart from they knocked looking for money but my first thought would be this lot are up to something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

AG2R wrote: »
    Because they were a ****ing traveller. It's no different than saying man or woman at my door instead of person.

Man or woman doesn't have the same sterotypical overtones as traveller does. Putting traveller in there at the start and talking about them doing something scummy instantly gets people thinking traveller=scum, creating a thread of self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not discussion, it's pitchfork-inciting ranting playing to negative sterotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

eviltwin wrote: »
    What percentage of the population is made up of travellers?
    The total number of Irish Travellers enumerated in April 2011 was 29,573 - accounting for just over half of one per cent (0.6%) of the total population.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2012pressreleases/pressreleasecensus2011profile7religionethnicityandirishtravellers/

Department of Health and Irish Prison Service
    Travellers accounted for 8.7% of the prison population; according to Traveller families’ responses to the AITHS census, Travellers accounted for 4.6% of the prison population (Table 4). It is not possible to verify which source provides the true number of Travellers in prison, and subsequent analysis was carried out using both figures.

http://www.dohc.ie/publications/aiths2010/TR2/AITHS2010_TechnicalReport2_HR_PartC.pdf?direct=1

Issues with domestic violence :(
    49% of admissions to women’s refuges are Travellers (according to the 2002 census Travellers account for just 0.6% of the entire population)
    Of those turned away from refuges, 46% were for reasons other than
    the refuges being full.
    http://www.amen.ie/Papers/15270.htm

Problems aplenty

What are Pavee Points headlines today? :)
    History project
    History project
    History project
    Criminalizing prostitution
    Roma and education
    Warning about collections for Pavee Point
    Roma and children

orestes wrote: »
    Man or woman doesn't have the same sterotypical overtones as traveller does. Putting traveller in there at the start and talking about them doing something scummy instantly gets people thinking traveller=scum, creating a thread of self-fulfilling prophecy. It's not discussion, it's pitchfork-inciting ranting playing to negative sterotypes.

Who created these negative sterotypes and why are they constantly brought up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

OK. Genuine question. Replace the word travellers in the OP with the word people. Everything else the exact same and what would your opinion be? Would you ask their ethnicity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Funny thing is, is that all of the state funded Traveller groups focus on their rights & finding ways for them to extract even more money out of us.

They're not big on the 'responsibility issue' though.

No way siruuurreee.

Not in their culture Boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

mikemac1 wrote: »

Problems aplenty

History project
    History project
    History project
    Roma and education
    Roma and children

Thanks for that, given the numbers of travellers being tiny when compared to the overall population those figures are pretty telling even accounting for some discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ColeTrain wrote: »
    TV licence inspectors, travellers, Jehovas Witnesses, Tidy Towns, Chuggers, Local clubs.......

There isn't any advantages to opening your door to randomers these days. Get your friends to ring ahead or develop a special knock. Problem solved.

Not answering also leads anyone up to that lark to believe you are not in when you are also, that might seem like an advantage to some
    No it's not.
    Bull****

I know quite a number of travellers who don't go round threatening and stealing.
    I know very few travellers, those I know are being investigated by the gardai for thefts from elderly people, every other experience I have had with those I dont know (by my own misfortune) either on the road or otherwise from dangerous driving to assault, to catching them snooping around, to having a door kicked in on me, has all been bad.
    For me it has been a 100% record, complete fail. I find that suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'll be serious for a second,
    Have you had any dealings with travellers?

(awaits lies ;) )

Seems like a fairly self-defeating thing to do, to ask a question and then pre-empt the answer with accusations of lies. You're on your own with that one.

Seems like a fairly self-defeating thing to do, to ask a question and then pre-empt the answer with accusations of lies. You're on your own with that one.

Seems like a fairly self-defeating thing do. Ignoring the actual question to focus on the clearly joke orientated PS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Padraig Nally is the only AH mod on duty tonite

trespassers will be shot. and then shot again.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Problems aplenty

History project
    History project
    History project
    Roma and education
    Roma and children

Let's not pretend the official number of Travellers in Ireland is that small either. I bet a lot of Census officials didn't reach their places of abode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

seriously guys... what the actual ****!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day

it's celebrated in much of Ireland, it's kind of an old tradition, and folks would dress up and go around door to door like on halloween and sing a song in hope of a bit of coin.

but don't let that get in the way of traveller bashing! ;)

stay classy, AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Who created these negative sterotypes and why are they constantly brought up?

People who aren't travellers created them, for the same reason all sterotypes are invented, because they "aren't us". Stereotypes are for the most part mental frameworks that are constructed by individuals or groups in order to enable them to conceptualise groups on the basis of small numbers of interactions with members of a group (or they are just passed on within a group). Which pretty much means that they are for the most part bullshit.

Example:
    All travellers are dishonest.
    All garda are honest.
    Traveller who is a garda - cognitive dissonance.
    OK. Genuine question. Replace the word travellers in the OP with the word people. Everything else the exact same and what would your opinion be? Would you ask their ethnicity?

Why on Earth would I? What difference does it make unless you are looking to feed a stereotype?

• Advertisement

OP who was at your back door while you where at the front door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I've asked you a fairly simple question twice and you've ignored me.

I wonder why..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭LiffeyValleyB

Travellers are getting smarter definitely, yer man Blackie Connors is even pretending to be an actor on fair city these days (Tommy Dillons brother). Probably to steal things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Links234 wrote: »

it's celebrated in much of Ireland, it's kind of an old tradition, and folks would dress up and go around door to door like on halloween and sing a song in hope of a bit of coin.

stay classy, AH
    Bless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

stay classy, AH

That's St Stephens Day

Nothing to do with this thread

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Next time that crowd knocks on your door, and you want them to just **** off, toss a bar of soap and a job application form at them. That'll have 'em heading for the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

stay classy, AH

Do you know the song for that?

"The wren, the wren.
    The king of all birds.
    Saint Stephen's day got caught in the fords
    It's money we want,
    It's money we crave,
    And if you don't give it,
    We'll bury the wren and you'll go to your grave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

What does the fact that they were travellers have to do with anything? The OP could just have easily read "had beggers at my door", but by identifying them as travellers the course of the thread is already pre-determined as being a traveller-bashing fukkfest of bile.

I'm sorry but what you typed there is a load of nonsense. I like facts.

Why on Earth would I? What difference does it make unless you are looking to feed a stereotype?

Because in most people curiosity would lead you to looking for more information about why a group of people would be going around a housing estate asking for money on a friday evening clearly organised with transport. Could be a multitude of reasons but with some cultures more known for it then others its natural to want to narrow it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Do you think Ireland is a better place for having travellers? If yes, why?

Countries aren't the same as businesses. We have to manage the people that are here already, rather than deal with people on some kind of job interview "what can you offer us?" basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement