Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Not a great comeback. Why is it then that the majority of people have set ideas against them, can you answer that?

Because this "majority" have bigoted ignorant views

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Because stereotypes.
    I can say "all blacks are criminals" based on the stereotype of black gangs from America.

Sorry if i seen correct are you saying all black are criminals
    ????
    One of my best friend is black you calling him a criminal because by the looks of me he has not do any criminal activity
    And why would you bring America up Do you know there are more white people in America that do killing then black in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Then they said "I'm gonna need about tree fiddy".
    Well it was about this time I noticed that this traveller was about 8 stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If we were in a car - are we all not travellers at some point technically? ;)

Previous poster has the right idea.
    Best to inform the Gardi that persons of suspicion are in the area.
    Even better if a car number could be supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

????
    One of my best friend is black you calling him a criminal because by the looks of me he has not do any criminal activity
    And why would you bring America up Do you know there are more white people in America that do killing then black in total

I think you might have slightly missed the point here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

????

You're missing the entire point I made.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

I remember my earliest encounter with members of the travelling community, a few kids called to out door begging when i was a kid, it was snowing outside and some of them didn't even have socks on. My mother been the kind heart she is brought them in, sat them at the table next to me and made them a hot dinner. She than when through our wardrobes and gave them any old clothes and made sure each of them had a pair of socks. When they were leaving she gave them sandwichs for later. I came from a poor family and this generosity by my mam has always stuck with me.

How did they repay this kindness? One of them took a **** on our doorstep and the next day when we were walking into town we found all the clothes that my mother gave them dumped in the ditch. Ungrateful little bast*rds .

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

people are busy enough . With out having all these muppits, be it travellers or chuggers or sky so on. Knocking on ur door all hours of the day and night.
    I work hard and like to be able to relax at home. I just leave them off. But some sit there finger on the door bell. So u have to go out. Just walk out with a large knife . Pull the door open. Shouting what fing pick fking with me door. :-) they dont hang around for long. My wife all nice to these people. I tel them make an apointment. That wl be 50 euro admin fee. Payable now. We may fit u in next march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

Had Travellers at my Door Tonight Looking for a Hand-Out

ffs dresses liked celebs bloody so many gold chain and diamonds :mad:

looking for money

the cheek of it

oh and at the end of the road a load of them got into some guys car of to the next area i amuse

Funny you should start a thread on that. Last night around 7 pm I had a traveller guy at my door, asked me for €50 saying he had to buy diesel to go to northern Ireland and he'd drop it back into me next week. LOL.
    I told him where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Not the case on this issue.

The worst part of it is that we, as a society actually pay for their upkeep.

Dole payments, Pavee Point et all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Because stereotypes.
    I can say "all blacks are criminals" based on the stereotype of black gangs from America.

Travellers in Ireland are not comparable to black people in America. The blacks there have integrated into society while Travellers here remain on the fringes, in most cases willingly. They want all the benefits of society without any of the responsibilities.

For their small number they have a disproportionate amount of troublemakers. The stereotype didn't come out of thin air.

Or perhaps the majority are just calling it as they see it and the minority are living in a bubble or in a tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

????

He isn't saying that at all. It's "stereotypes".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I might be a kid but let me say this
    My dad or mom(depends who is going to open the door) When anyone comes knocking on the door we simply and my parents thought me that aswell just look out the window
    For exampe 1 week ago a man came knocking middle age around 40 not a traveller we could see he wanted to sell something as he had a van so we just did not bother opening the door
    Now say if we did open the door and they come asking for money we just simply as what they want and say ''Have you got any money''
    (If the people are those like who want to waste your time or by your looks of it are travellers,messers what ever you want to call them
    We just simply shut the door on their face straight away after they say Do you have money ?We simply say No and shut the door right across their face. That would ought to shut them up sure they would say a few bad words but what more can they do steal my house pull a gun I say they might aswel pull out a tommy 20 for all we care the time they would take to either ruin the car or break in the house would be enough time to call the police and to arrest them now if they come over night So what go and fight its your car you paid for it and if you die you would know you died trying
    (Now if they were not messer or by looks it travellers,knacker what ever you want to call them)

Now if it was serious people we would somethimes hand over a few coins or just explain lol we need some money our self :)!!! and justsay we cannot give any and shut the door even if they keep persuaing(I know it might seem rude but like what other option you got you know they never stop so...)
    I learned from my experience in this little life be scared from no one sure they might be bad and all the news killing and guns and stealing so let them do it and let them try see how well it goes

What the fcuk are you trying to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

1210m5g wrote: »
    I remember my earliest encounter with members of the travelling community, a few kids called to out door begging when i was a kid, it was snowing outside and some of them didn't even have socks on. My mother been the kind heart she is brought them in, sat them at the table next to me and made them a hot dinner. She than when through our wardrobes and gave them any old clothes and made sure each of them had a pair of socks. When they were leaving she gave them sandwichs for later. I came from a poor family and this generosity by my mam has always stuck with me.

How did they repay this kindness? One of them took a **** on our doorstep and the next day when we were walking into town we found all the clothes that my mother gave them dumped in the ditch. Ungrateful little bast*rds .

I'd say in fairness that it wasn't the kids themselves that dumped the clothes but the adults who sent them out to beg.
    Your mother did the right thing and fed these poor kids but unfortunately for them they came back without money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Offy wrote: »
    Prob checking out your house to rob it.
    oh yes definitely , what else could they be doing sure. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

We all know what needs to be done, it won't be pretty and it won't be legal, but Christ almighty, it's our time...... Be strong!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Very sweet of what your mother :) You should be lucky to have a mother like that
    But the last 2 sentences make me laugh and i am sorry if it means serious to you and i will tell you why it made me laugh call me imature but hey ;)
    So 2 years ago i used to live in a street 4 houses away from a family who were travellers I somethimes used hang around with their son and daughter a
    One day lolololollooll the girl who was 11 took a **** in the middle of the road and wiped it from the grass out in public of the street while people walked past and here is where the funny part comes her brother came along to see what she was doing and gave out to her calling her a ****ty pants and all that words and the next minute out of no where (She had **** over her hands) slapped her brother across the face
    loololololololoololol the amount of **** that was all over his face
    It seems to me lot of travellers do not have bathrooms or do not know how to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

Had one approach my wife and i and ask for
    Money for petrol, we were at a bus station going for a weekend away! When i said no he said ah you look like a fella with a few Bob? When i replied well the garda are not really paid that well there was smoke coming from his wheels he took off that fast! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They're not real travellers, they're blinged up aggressive interns who have been sent out to collect the household charge.

Funny you should start a thread on that. Last night around 7 pm I had a traveller guy at my door, asked me for €50 saying he had to buy diesel to go to northern Ireland and he'd drop it back into me next week. LOL.
    I told him where to go.

What part of the country did this happen in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭spikethedog

Smidge wrote: »
    What part of the country did this happen in??

North county Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I've never met one who contributes anything to society whatsoever. Might be controversial but surely it can't be denied that Ireland would be a better place without Travellers? I'm sure they're not all thieving and such, but a huge proportion definitely are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Biggins wrote: »
    If we were in a car - are we all not travellers at some point technically? ;)

Previous poster has the right idea.
    Best to inform the Gardi that persons of suspicion are in the area.
    Even better if a car number could be supplied.

I had a look through the thread and the only information I've seen that the OP has given is "travellers are looking for money". My guess is they were trying to sell him something. I get a lot of people to my door trying to sell me things, travellers and non-travellers. I don't think the OP should waste our thinly-spread Gardai's time with such pissy nonsense tbh.

Op I'm sure if your door is able to open then it is also able to close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I've had my fill of travellers having spent a full day in A&E and seen the disgraceful carryon and fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Really should have read the whole thread before posting... :o

I agree with coletrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

How did they repay this kindness? One of them took a **** on our doorstep .

They tend to do that a lot even on their own doorsteps. I used to work on a halting site and have seen them do it outside their own trailers even though they have toilets. They've even done it in a playground purposely built for their own children.

I've had my fill of travellers having spent a full day in A&E and seen the disgraceful carryon and fights.

Hope nothing too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    oh yes definitely , what else could they be doing sure. ...

They probably want to sell his kidneys on Ebay as well.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

This thread will probably get locked because you're not allowed make threads about travelers here I notice unless you say they're great and multicultural

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Hippies! wrote: »
    This thread will probably get locked because you're not allowed make threads about travelers here I notice unless you say they're great and mulch-cultrual

they're great and mulch-cultural. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement