Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude Festival 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Looking forward to seeing Jake Bugg, Modest Mouse (both on the same night!) and Hot Chip. Times like these I like living 1 minute walk from Marlay Park :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I dont think you understand what they are trying to do. they are moving away from the oxegen model to a more tailored model like the uk, a tried and tested approach that might make the festival culture over here a little more fun. Go to Glasto if you want diversity, its been tried here and failed

Who cares about Oxegen? I certainly don't. And it doesn't have to be on the scale of Glastonbury to have some diversity. I think something like this festival in Poland would be great over here. http://www.wikifestivals.com/wiki/festival-2012-line

But I understand that the promoters only want to make some money, and when the sheep all flock, who can blame them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Alien vs. Predator

Is there anyway to buy the early bird tickets knowing who is on which day for example I only want to see Hot Chip ... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Keep an eye on Hot Chips website and check out their tour dates. It's not up there yet but I'd day it will be up there before the early birds stop selling. Im hoping they are going to be on Friday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nocoverart wrote: »
    Who cares about Oxegen? I certainly don't. And it doesn't have to be on the scale of Glastonbury to have some diversity. I think something like this festival in Poland would be great over here. http://www.wikifestivals.com/wiki/festival-2012-line

But I understand that the promoters only want to make some money, and when the sheep all flock, who can blame them

I think we can all agree they run these things for profit not out of musical taste. So flock takes precedence over diversity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mr.S wrote: »
    I know it wasn't a proper festival, but how well did Download sell when it was over here in the RDS?

The "boutique" or mini festival model with a smaller specific genre is a safe bet for promoters here I guess, low overheads, know it will sell well etc etc.

A Rock / Metal festival is needed though, Oxegen got some decent bands over the years but that will be gone from this year.

If they held it around the time of Download or Reading/Leeds they could book a good chunk of decent acts to play.

MCD / Aiken are probably not bothered taking the risk~

they are running a mini Slam Dunk tour in the Academy, which is pretty big in the uk, could be a water tester for something bigger, tbh its mostly 14yr old ages group type stuff, the bands i wanted to see aint coming over (Streetlight Manifesto and MC lars) so i'll be giving it a wide berth but if the demand is there they might expand on it. Apart from Posion event nights I cant see many metal or Rock nights in dublin which could be a gauge they use when deciding profitabilty for these things

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

Mr.S wrote: »
    How is it unoriginal and lacks variety?! (no really, I'm interested to see what you mean)

Keep in mind MCD are doing this to make money, not to impress obscure music snobs :pac:

whats a music snob?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Are they going to release the lineups per day before selling the tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭part time punk

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Are they going to release the lineups per day before selling the tickets?

If you read the thread or look at the website it's pretty clear that early bird tickets are on sale for a while, then they end (April 8th I think) and some time after that the full line ups are announed. At the moment only the headliners are known for each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

For anyone who is interested (not sure if this was posted already), according to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' website, they are playing 21st July, which is the Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

For anyone who is interested (not sure if this was posted already), according to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' website, they are playing 21st July, which is the Sunday.

Hopefully they don't clash with Kraftwerk. It'd be nice if they were a one-two punch on the main stage to finish up the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Might be a nice idea to create a "boards lineup". If anybody sees any of their favourite bands announcing that they are playing a certain night, add it to the list.

Friday 19th July
    Phoenix

Saturday 20th July
    Vampire Weekend

Sun 21st July
    Kraftwerk
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

*obviously not a definitive list. Don't complain if they change dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Are Vampire Weekend confirmed for the Saturday? I checked their website and couldn't see mention of the date? I presume this has been deduced from their other commitments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

The skangers are likely to hit this bigtime on saturday - just saying.
    Might destroy the VW gig, cause it'll be late in the day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The skangers are likely to hit this bigtime on saturday - just saying.
    Might destroy the VW gig, cause it'll be late in the day etc.
    why are they likely to go on the Saturday? :confused:

its usually the day when the daytrippers flock in isnt it??

(excluding EP, when sunday was the only day open for day passes)

Oxegen was taken over by a wave of daytrippers on saturdays if i remember correctly. you'll have the same here, mark my words

Could be really messy.
    Some of the skangers will try to fit a whole weekends destruction into one evening.

if i were joe duffy, i'd be getting a good nights sleep on that sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

I can't see skangers flocking in to see Vampire Weekend in all fairness...it's hardly Swedish House Mafia, Avicii, Tiesto etc

No doubt there'll be the odd scaldy about but can't see hoards of skangers going into this

i remember being dragged to a snow patrol gig a few years ago in marlay
    it was packed with skangers
    the music is secondary, usually

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Oxegen was taken over by a wave of daytrippers on saturdays if i remember correctly. you'll have the same here, mark my words
    well the Saturday at Forbidden Fruit with Leftfield, Bloody Beetroots, and Booka Shade, amongst others, was scum-free, so I doubt they're going to venture even further afield for Vampire Weekend and acts like Villagers and Modest Mouse.....

people seem to love complaining about how the scum will ruin everything. IIRC, Electric Picnic last year was supposed to be a trail of destruction, fighting and rapes without Oxegen on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here. Oxegen and EP are rural camping festivals that target a wider variety of music fans while this is an urban, no-camping festival that appeals to a more narrow selection of music fans. If Forbidden Fruit is anything to go by, this festival should be mostly skanger free.

marlay park is very open to ticketless attendees
    i hope they do a better job on this compared to previous events

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Do not feed

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Yeah, everyone knows Saturday gigs are full of "scum" :rolleyes:

You're talking out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Guardian - Did you get bored of talking shíte in the rugby forum and decide to come over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Anyone know which day Jake Bugg is playing? Might get a day ticket myself if I'm around

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJwKkmK30-ugd9xLpCtM2P_k2Ni1xd_UbjxNwpDPWeso1fF5uE

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Might be a nice idea to create a "boards lineup". If anybody sees any of their favourite bands announcing that they are playing a certain night, add it to the list.

Friday 19th July
    Phoenix
    Mmoths

Saturday 20th July
    Vampire Weekend

Sun 21st July
    Kraftwerk
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs

*obviously not a definitive list. Don't complain if they change dates

Good idea.. added Mmoths for friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Off the Longitude facebook;
    Sorry guys, day line ups will not be available until the 8th April, hope you have a lovely weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Off the Longitude facebook;

Won't be releasing any details of that lovely weekend though.

Advertisement