Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

I made a call to the local (to where it happened) Garda station & before giving my name explained the situation. The Garda asked me to describe the kid & then told me not to worry about it, he's known to them & they'll probably go looking for him tomorrow "to see if he's carrying".

I'm horrified that I reacted the way I did, but it was just that, a reaction. My first instinct would normally be to either run or hand over the goods. I have no idea where that punch came from. It's just not me & I wouldn't be the quickest in terms of reaction or thinking to do it.

Having said that, I've been thinking of finding a self defence course for my eldest to do, I might look for one for me at the same time.

Thank you all for your responses & thanks, I mean, WOW, look at that !

I think I've sufficiently recovered from the shock & earned myself a beer, so I'm going to take my sore hand & wrap it round a cold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

Big Bottom wrote: »
    But if he ran away without punching him it would of had the same effect.

Maybe it was just a reaction and hes not usually so violent but it is the congratulations that surprised me more.

Well possibly but in a situation whereby one person is holding a knife to another, the person holding the knife has the advantage and is more likely to be pretty unpredictable in their behaviour. That word "possibly" I used earlier, "possibly" doesn't factor into it. In a situation like this there is no room for making assumptions. You run on pure instinct. You can state that it would have had the same effect but I don't believe that's so. If he makes a run for it, he's got a chase on his hands. Can he outrun the kid? Kids can be surprisingly pacy when they want to be. If he tries to make a run, will the kid react and possibly stab him? By running, he does stand a chance of getting away but he always puts himself in a situation whereby one false move sees him getting stabbed. Like I said in the previous post, putting the kid on his arse gives him vital seconds to get out of trouble. He did and no more harm was done.

Let's face it, no-one likes to be victimised. No one likes to be on the blade end of a knife or the barrel end of a gun. So when one person takes a stand and refuses to become a victim or even a statistic, it's not unusual for others to commend them for standing their ground. We may be a civilised race, but when put in a corner, we can still revert to our base emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

It must has been a fierce punch to damage a grown mans hand.

Glad you werent injured as well I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Maybe it was just a reaction and hes not usually so violent but it is the congratulations that surprised me more.
    Except the kid probably would have stabbed him. And he'd be missing his phone and wallet now.

But besides that, yeah same effect.

It must has been a fierce punch to damage a grown mans hand.

Glad you werent injured as well I suppose.

In the end, that's all that really matters.

OP, I'm glad to hear that you reported the matter to the authorities and that it's being sufficiently dealt with. More importantly, I'm glad to hear that you got out of this situation safely and were able to keep yourself from harm (apart from your hand of course). You certainly earned yourself a beer or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Simply put

"YOU SIR, ARE A LEGEND"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Fair play for reporting it, you can have a clear conscience now, and knowing that the kid is known to them is good also. At least now, if you hear of any incident along there you know you reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

OP, do you want to join my vigilante group...

Is that you a re-reg of The_Citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

When you knocked him out , you should have robbed the mini scumbag !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OU812 wrote: »
    The Garda asked me to describe the kid & then told me not to worry about it, he's known to them & they'll probably go looking for him tomorrow "to see if he's carrying".

Translation: We don't know who you're talking about and we don't care about you almost being mugged. Let us get back to watching TV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

OU812 wrote: »
    Heading into work, headphones on, head down. A kid about 10 or 12 stepped in front of me @ said something. Took off the headphones & he pulled a knife out & said "gimme yet f**ken' money & phone or F**ken' I'll stick ya".

I've never hit anyone before, don't know where it came from but I just lashed out, punched him straight in the face & he ended up on his back. I legged it & am sitting here, feeling like I'm gonna puke with a very sore hand & legs like jelly.

That's it, I'm voting NO. Little fuckers like this don't deserve any referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'd say the little bugger deserved it. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Thomasmartin

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

gurramok wrote: »

Nah dude that guy was intense. Besides, I suspect he would only work as part of a team if there was some sort of super mutant scumbag who was about to end civilization as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

You're my hero OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Normally I'd object to violence but fair play OP! Better he gets it from you now than the business end of a gun ten years down the road in some gang feud.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

Is this you OP?

gurramok wrote: »

Given the fact that I have only recently made my appearance on this delightful board, I had to do a little digging on this guy to find out what the deal was. I'm only really at the beginning of his posts but sufficed to say, this guy is a certified angry, hate-filled and bafflingly vengeful nutjob with a strange and obsessive hatred for "scumbags". I genuinely think that this guy will commit terrible acts of violent vigilantism donning a pitch-black one-piece, screaming at the moon and vowing to personally eliminate every scumbag from the face of this planet.

I would love to create a whole thread where we can all discuss the psychotic vengence-filled fury that is the_citizen but I'm not really sure if it's appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Bang! And the scumbag's gone!
    Nice!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Decent folk 1-0 Scumbags.

Ah, you've obviously come in late to the match.

The score is Decent folk 3 Scumbags 15,577,248

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

9 out of 10, OP. One point docked for not roaring "FALCAWWWWWN PUNCHHHHHHH!" as you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You obviously didnt see the Late Late show with the girl who was slashed on O'Connell Street. She tried to avoid a serious incident where she felt threatened and walked away.

She was followed and horribly assaulted and is quite obviously traumatised for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Only last week, I was a jurer in a case where someone pulled a knife and was convisted of possesion of a dangerous weapon with intent to harm or intimidate under the firearms and lethal weapons legislation of 1990.
    It's a really serious crime.
    In the case, the vistim used an iron bar and knocked the guy unsoncious and nobody even questiones wether or not that was an issue, even the defending barrister didn't argue that point.

what you did OP was completely acceptable in the eyes of normal civilisation and the law, so don't fear reporting it. The next potential victim might not have as nice a story to tell as you do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roo21

excuses excuse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Glad you're feeling a bit better OP.

Totally on your side.

From bitter personal experience am posting.
    So the local gaurds know this is going on.
    They say they know the knife carfying knacker.
    Yet they havnt done anything about him yet - and now you've been threatened with a knife .

From your post they havnt taken a statement so there is no record of this to protect you in case of future problems, or anyone else he might attack.

And the knife wielding knacker walks free
    And you being the victim of a knife attack is unrecorded + shows nowhete on Gaurd unsolved crime stats or violent attsck stats.

Just as well you protected yourself because the paid state authorites are clearly doing foi.g nothing.

No need to worry about a Yes or No vote. Noones going to come + take this child from his parents.

And the gaurds are snoozing at their desks playing I dont care - as usual.

No wonder so many people agree totally with what you did to defenf yourself.

Get well soon : )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

100% correct. Run away from scumbag with knife.

Scumbag will realise error of ways and change his habits forever.

Or....scumbag will attempt to rob the next person he sees.

You did the right thing OP...child or no child....filthy little fcuker could have cut you to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Once he landed on his back you should have gone down a punched him square in the face a few more times...just to be sure the little fu cker wouldn't forget it in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CJC999 wrote: »
    Once he landed on his back you should have gone down a punched him square in the face a few more times...just to be sure the little fu cker wouldn't forget it in a hurry.

But then the title of the thread would probably be "I've just murdered a child".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

CJC999 wrote: »
    Could a person be taken to court for assaulting a mugger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Wow. Talk about an inspirational thread.

Advertisement