Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just punched a child

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

EEm wrote: »
    10 year old kid. 10 years old. 10.

so let the op tell us what situation the kid was left in. broken jaw? broken nose?

i dont condone violence in any way, i would always avoid physical confrontation when possible but if someone pulls a knife on you, they need to be knocked out, man, woman or child. they could do serious damage and you really dont know how they are going to react. the only way to end the situation is to make sure they cant do anything. OP did the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Castor Oil

dukedalton wrote: »
    How many of you coming out with this holier than thou nonsense would be spouting same if you were attacked by a knife-wielding lunatic? Easy to have an enlightened outlook on humanity when your safe at home typing on your laptop; if you were confronted by this scenario on the street I suspect your attitudes might be different.

My problem is not with the OP's action which I honestly believe he did not intend to do (although assaulting a child is clearly wrong), but rather your reaction to it: applause. Wouldn't expect your rodent brain to grasp the finer nuances.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Im surprised this thread hasn't been locked.

Have any of you so called Mod's given it any thought ?

You have locked threads for a lot less !

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Castor Oil wrote: »
    My problem is not with the OP's action which I honestly believe he did not intend to do (although assaulting a child is clearly wrong), but rather your reaction to it: applause. Wouldn't expect your rodent brain to grasp the finer nuances.

I'm not applauding someone being assaulted; I'm defending someone's right to defend themselves.

Oh and thanks for your cheap personal insult- it does a lot to advance your argument :)

I'm not applauding someone being assaulted; I'm defending someone's right to defend themselves.

Oh and thanks for your cheap personal insult- it does a lot to advance your argument :)

Not cheap: appropriate. The responses are base and animalistic.

You are applauding a child being assaulted by an adult.

Wait, it's not a child, it's a miniature scumbag who should have been kicked too, and had his balls smashed, and spine broken etc etc.

Grow the fúck up, all of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Yes, children who get punched in the face by adults often grow up to be very wise.

I'd be surprised if a child who is robbing at knifepoint at 10 hasn't died by violence or suicide by 16. (Cue the "good riddance" comments.)

We're talking about a child that probably knows the kind of suffering and abuse at home that we can't even imagine.

Violent children don't just fall out of the sky; they're created by the adults in their lives.

The OP contributed to a cycle of violence. I get that he didn't intend to do it, was in a scary situation and felt really upset at having done it. Bring upset is the correct response for doing something that is clearly wrong.

The responses here are revolting. The idea that this wasn't a child? Fúcking denial. This was a child. All of you who've thanked the OP's post lack a basic human trait: compassion.

decisions have consequences, the mugger may have just learned one that maybe saved his life, thats as likely as the tale you have just spun above

Real Life wrote: »
    i dont condone violence in any way, i would always avoid physical confrontation when possible but if someone pulls a knife on you, they need to be knocked out, man, woman or child. they could do serious damage and you really dont know how they are going to react. the only way to end the situation is to make sure they cant do anything. OP did the right thing.

Utter nonsense !

I said it before, there are other ways to restrain a child that age without resorting to such a violent act.

A punch to a child that age could result in serious brain damage.

Although, some posters would probably applaud that also.

Sick.

BBDBB wrote: »
    decisions have consequences, the mugger may have just learned one that maybe saved his life, thats as likely as the tale you have just spun above

You're right, clearly. Violent children get taught lessons by having violence inflicted on them, seriously, that actually makes me laugh! The OP saved the child's life now? Wtf.

This child will be worse than ever after this. Well done one and all.

Not cheap: appropriate. The responses are base and animalistic.

You are applauding a child being assaulted by an adult.

Wait, it's not a child, it's a miniature scumbag who should have been kicked too, and had his balls smashed, and spine broken etc etc.

Grow the fúck up, all of you.

Not applauding anything, just supporting the right of someone to stand up for themselves.

By the way, had the OP just handed over their hard earned cash, what sort of message do you think that would have sent out to the mugger?

This child will be worse than ever after this..

Whereas if the OP just handed over his wallet, the child see the error of his ways and be inspired to retire from his life of crime :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

By the way, had the OP just handed over their hard earned cash, what sort of message do you think that would have sent out to the mugger?

I couldn't give a crap tbh. Handing over money was not a solution to this problem. The whole scenario is sad and upsetting. I don't know what the right thing to do is and I don't blame the OP for a knee-jerk reaction. Unfortunate, violent, yes. But not his intention.

How many times must I say this: my problem is with YOU and YOUR ATTITUDE of thanks and applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

This thread has brought a serious amount of dickheads out of the woodwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

You're right, clearly. Violent children get taught lessons by having violence inflicted on them, seriously, that actually makes me laugh! The OP saved the child's life now? Wtf.

This child will be worse than ever after this. Well done one and all.

where he was dead at 16 due to suicide/violence, (a scenario painted by the person I quoted) I trust you found that scenario equally as humourous.

Im "not right" btw, decisions have consequences, thats a fact of life, its not mine to own or be right about, neither is it yours and your conclusion that the child will be worse than ever is just as speculative as anyone elses

I couldn't give a crap tbh. Handing over money was not a solution to this problem. The whole scenario is sad and upsetting. I don't know what the right thing to do is and I don't blame the OP for a knee-jerk reaction. Unfortunate, violent, yes. But not his intention.

How many times must I say this: my problem is with YOU and YOUR ATTITUDE of thanks and applause.

Thanks for what? Where did I applaud anything?

You should really read what I say before throwing personal abuse at me. And typing in capital letters doesn't make your point of view any more valid :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

FearDark wrote: »
    I once kicked a sleeping dog.
    Is this a confession thread?

Ill kick you when your sleeping see how you like it cnut

Thanks for what? Where did I applaud anything?

You should really read what I say before throwing personal abuse at me. And typing in capital letters doesn't make your point of view any more valid :)

Once more, I couldn't give a fúck about appearing more valid. Just had to express my disgust with the mob mentality on this thread. I don't care what you think, clearly.

I am disgusted by all who have thanked the OP and praised his actions. That appears to include you - perhaps not? I didn't read all of the circa 700 thanks.

If you're feeling abused by me, feel free to report my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

tempura wrote: »

The only post on this thread that makes any sense.

I have an 11 year old boy, how an adult could punch one in the face is beyond me ! There are other way of restraining a child who is out of control or dangerous ! I could hold my son back with one hand if I had too !

Poor kid, what kind of family has he come from to make him attack someone with a knife ?

Wonder how many posters on this thread actually bothered their arses voting yesterday to try and help kids like this !

Punching him in the face will achieve nothing at all, just reinforce his need for violence to get through life !

Some of the comments on here are sickening ! Stamp on his balls, break his spine, you seriously should have a think about what your actually saying.

I think it's worse that you think it'd be grand for the man to be stabbed.

And poor kid? Don't make me laugh! Little prick of a child, and don't start with all this tripe about parents, some children these days are pure ****. Was walking on a pedestrian path in carlow and a child around the age of 10 cycling right towards me, shouted at me to move, I, having right of way told him to move himself to which he replied; "go **** yourself". I couldn't believe it, and it was even funnier when his sister gave out to him for being so rude!

Children....I'd deck a heap of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

cringey thread.

John.Icy wrote: »
    I think it's worse that you think it'd be grand for the man to be stabbed.

Yeah, that's what was said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

I would have smashed him one in the face too and then got him to empty his pockets..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Op reacted by striking the child to protect himself!! How is what he did wrong? Op do you have family?

As a father I would do the same thing to prevent my kids growing up with a memory of their murdered father rather than dad who spends time with them and shows them the love they deserve..

Op don't mind negativity here. You were defending yourself and we'll done you...

And that kid got what he deserved IMO pulling a knife on anyone is a cowards act little ****er!!!

Op don't mind negativity here

Yeah, whatever you do don't listen to that voice inside you that tells you what happened was sad and tragic and violent. Listen to the wisdom of Boards who say it's great! Pity the kid didn't die!

Op reacted by striking the child to protect himself!! How is what he did wrong? Op do you have family?

As a father I would do the same thing to prevent my kids growing up with a memory of their murdered father rather than dad who spends time with them and shows them the love they deserve..

Op don't mind negativity here. You were defending yourself and we'll done you...

And that kid got what he deserved IMO pulling a knife on anyone is a cowards act little ****er!!!

As a Father you would be happy for your children to see you punch a ten year old child ? Nice.

Its highly unlikely that a ten year old child could have murdered the op, assuming the op is a full grown male !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The kid needs help.

At that particular moment he needed a box, wait til he stabs first? Wait til he does it to an old woman? F*ck off, get back in yer armchair.

These are the same scumbags throwing rocks off bridges and passing cars ."Highly unlikely" my hole! Imagine he jumped out or the OP didn't pay attention because of his headphones.

Giblet wrote: »
    The kid needs help.

At that particular moment he needed a box, wait til he stabs first? Wait til he does it to an old woman? F*ck off.

Who are you talking to? If it's me, I've stated repeatedly I don't blame the OP.

Yes, the kid needs help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

he deserved it.

I mean, what idiot brings a knife to a fist fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Who are you talking to? If it's me, I've stated repeatedly I don't blame the OP.

Yes, the kid needs help.

I'm giving my opinion man! Not talking to anyone (although I amended my post to refer to thee post directly above mine)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

As a Father you would be happy for your children to see you punch a ten year old child ? Nice.

Its highly unlikely that a ten year old child could have murdered the op, assuming the op is a full grown male !

It is possible, the little scumbag had a knife. If a person had a kitchen knife I'd like to see you try and restrain them without getting stabbed with them flashing it in front of you. It doesn't matter if there 10 or 30. The only thing you want is to get out of the situation safely.

If the OP decided to tell the scumbag to **** off and walk away he could have getting stabbed in the back. If he tried to restrain him he could have been stabbed. The OP did the correct thing. Your own safety is always first regardless of what age the person is. If the the little scumbag had a shotgun or handgun what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Have you ever seen the damage rubbing off a sharp knife can do? Wrist slit throat slit etc etc it doesn't take a stab wound to kill you.. Grown man or not op could have easily bled to death if struck!!

Did I say I would want my kids to see me hit a kid? No I didn't!!!

But if my life was threatened I would protect myself it's anyone's god given right to protect your life, your kids etc!!

Let that child's parents chase prosecution which I doubt they will if he is carrying a knife mugging people!!

I love the way one or two are arguing for that knackers right to mug or possibly kill a man with a family because ah well he is only a child!!! Absolute ****e being talked here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

The choice between being stabbed by some kid who pulls a knife on me to potentially end my life by a random act of violence or decking the kid in question and retaining my life ain't no choice at all .

Violence does not sort things in general but sometimes it's necessary to get yourself out of a tricky situation . what do the do-gooders suggest ? Forcing a moral debate with the kid as his knife enters your stomach . Maybe the kid comes from a bad background but I for one am sick of reading legal pages that criminal x has 96 convictions because of drugs and bad parenting . Got to take responsibility at some stage for ones actions .

Advertisement