Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^ I like that :D...cyclists think they own the promenade around where I live !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

3.5 mi @ 9:23/mi

Yay no frost today but the road was completely flooded in one place :(

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |rest/cross|5 mile easy|5m easy |session*|3 miles recovery|rest/cross|LSR (10-13 miles)

This weeks session is based on time rather than distance, so it is probably best to take the lap alerts off your Garmin and manually lap each section. It's a progression run and should be all done continuously.

10 minutes easy
    10 minutes @ MP = 7.55
    10 minutes @ HMP = 7.30
    10 minutes @ 10k Pace = 7.05
    10 minutes easy (50 minutes total).

I'm not liking the new Mcmillan webpage :mad:

I've read this 5 times so I should actually do it right this week :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I'd take those McMillan training pace zones with a pinch of salt. It's all about how the body is feeling and how it determines easy. Even the upper end of the pace zones for me are pretty agressive. For others the pace zones might be perfect though. Some paces I have will be at the upper end of the recommended pace while others will even be slower than the pace zone he recommmends.

blockic wrote: »
    I'd take those McMillan training pace zones with a pinch of salt. It's all about how the body is feeling and how it determines easy. Even the upper end of the pace zones for me are pretty agressive. For others the pace zones might be perfect though. Some paces I have will be at the upper end of the recommended pace while others will even be slower than the pace zone he recommmends.
    Its the new web page I don't like :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Its the new web page I don't like :D

Jasis, i just checked it there. It's mank!

+++++++++1 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I do not like that new page!!! :mad:

Monday:
    30 min yoga
    30 min core

Tuesday:
    5.5 miles @ 8.56/mi ........ emo62.gif

Career Move (the original) had colic out in the field this evening so got another half mile in, running in with her from the field. I think she's ok.....could be just a sneaky ploy to get into a warm comfortable stable for the night ;) One of the other horses had to move in with the hens to make way for her :D She's due to foal next April I think so maybe the foal is moving around or something :confused:

30 min yoga

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Never quite know what to expect when I visit your log. Suffice to say, I definitely wasn't expecting that little story. Hope the OG career_move is ok!

• Advertisement

6.5 mi in 54:33

Decided to do the session today. I thought it wasn't as cold and the windscreen of my car wasn't frozen so I figured the roads would be grand. They were a bit slippy in places though. Session was bleugh as usual. I stopped halfway through the 10k bit. I thought I was going to throw up :eek:

Splits:

|Plan|Easy|MP 7:55|HMP 7:30|10k 6:55|Easy|
    |Pace|9:24|7:49|7:31|7:02|10:13|
    |Dist (mi)|1.07|1.28|1.33|1.41|1.42|

Career Move (original) is grand this morning. She's gone back down to the field and her mates :D

P.M 30 min yoga + 30 min core

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

career_move did you see the article on the farming indo yesterday about riders using training zones to keep fit. didn't realise eventing was so instense.

6.5 mi in 54:33

Decided to do the session today. I thought it wasn't as cold and the windscreen of my car wasn't frozen so I figured the roads would be grand. They were a bit slippy in places though. Session was bleugh as usual. I stopped halfway through the 10k bit. I thought I was going to throw up :eek:

Splits:

|Plan|Easy|MP 7:55|HMP 7:30|10k 6:55|Easy|
    |Pace|9:24|7:49|7:31|7:02|10:13|
    |Dist (mi)|1.07|1.28|1.33|1.41|1.42|

Career Move (original) is grand this morning. She's gone back down to the field and her mates :D

Are those times projected paces?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Are those times projected paces?
    The ones on the top line of the table are ya

jfh wrote: »
    career_move did you see the article on the farming indo yesterday about riders using training zones to keep fit. didn't realise eventing was so instense.
    I didn't get the indo yesterday and its not online either :( I never did eventing.....they kicked me out of the Pony Club for being a disruptive influence* Is it the horses that they are using the training zones for? Because the people I know who do eventing would not be featuring in fit magazine............ever!!! I know they did trials using a heart rate monitor on racehorses but its difficult for the jockey and/or trainer to analyse the data and change the workout accordingly. Also its expensive so there wasn't a big uptake on it

*not strictly true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

The ones on the top line of the table are ya

Was the projected 10k pace not a bit hot? Fair play for getting it that close to 7 mins.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Was the projected 10k pace not a bit hot? Fair play for getting it that close to 7 mins.
    Well seeing as I had to stop half way through to dry retch..........possibly it was!!!!!

I have learnt my lesson though - do not take hallucinogenic drugs when deciding your goal paces :D

Well seeing as I had to stop half way through to dry retch..........possibly it was!!!!!

Nah you probably had it just right then! :D Think the 10k part was meant to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

no it was for the riders, the different level of fitness needed for the diferent disciplines, i'd agree with you on the riders that i know too. altough there's a jockey that does a local 10km & runs it regularly under 39 min ! impressive

*not strictly true :D[/QUOTE]

jfh wrote: »
    no it was for the riders, the different level of fitness needed for the diferent disciplines, i'd agree with you on the riders that i know too. altough there's a jockey that does a local 10km & runs it regularly under 39 min ! impressive
    Jockeys are a different league ;) One of the flat lads did Kildare HM in 1hr 19 this year :D

• Advertisement

3.2 mi @ 9:23/mi

30 min yoga
    30 min core

I can't seem to upload my runs to garmin connect today :confused:

222328_10151204623943800_1375853140_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^^Class! :D

5.6 mi @ 9:06/mi

Very dark this morning and I forgot about the road being flooded so my runners got a good soaking :(

Still can't upload my runs to garmin connect.....not happy!

Do you use a head torch? Great for those dark mornings, nothing worse than squelchy feet.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Do you use a head torch? Great for those dark mornings, nothing worse than squelchy feet.
    Ya I had a head torch and a flashlight but the water is right across the road in one place. If I'd remembered I could have gone a different way :rolleyes:

13 mi @ 8.45/mi

This was a strange run. I was feeling great for the first couple of miles. It was a lovely morning and the ring I ran today is my favourite. The road into Templetuohy is dead straight through the bog with forestry on either side of the road. Its really quiet and pretty. I did 4 9ish min miles and then 4 a bit faster 8:21, 8:25, 7:57, 7:52. So far so good. The next mile was grand as well. I felt like I was going a lot slower than I was. Then suddenly I just wanted to stop. I felt like I was at the end of a marathon. My back was hurting, my knees started to hurt. I felt like I was moving in a really funny way. Please let me walk. I've two and a half more miles before I get home. There's no point in walking. I look at my watch and the pace hasn't dropped much. I keep telling myself to slow down. Myself just wants to walk. I get back to my house and I've done 11.8 miles. I keep going. Just get to 12. The watch beeps for 12. I keep going. Just to the top of the hill then you can turn around. My stomach feels like I haven't eaten for a week and in my head I feel like I'm wrecked but my slowest miles were mile 1 and mile 12. Both 9:13. emo46.gif

P.M 30 min yoga + 30 min core

13 mi @ 8.45/mi

This was a strange run. I was feeling great for the first couple of miles. It was a lovely morning and the ring I ran today is my favourite. The road into Templetuohy is dead straight through the bog with forestry on either side of the road. Its really quiet and pretty. I did 4 9ish min miles and then 4 a bit faster 8:21, 8:25, 7:57, 7:52. So far so good. The next mile was grand as well. I felt like I was going a lot slower than I was. Then suddenly I just wanted to stop. I felt like I was at the end of a marathon. My back was hurting, my knees started to hurt. I felt like I was moving in a really funny way. Please let me walk. I've two and a half more miles before I get home. There's no point in walking. I look at my watch and the pace hasn't dropped much. I keep telling myself to slow down. Myself just wants to walk. I get back to my house and I've done 11.8 miles. I keep going. Just get to 12. The watch beeps for 12. I keep going. Just to the top of the hill then you can turn around. My stomach feels like I haven't eaten for a week and in my head I feel like I'm wrecked but my slowest miles were mile 1 and mile 12. Both 9:13. emo46.gif

Runs like these make you appreciate the good ones! ;)

You may be fighting off something, take it easy over the next few days just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Mr Slow wrote: »

Runs like these make you appreciate the good ones! ;)

You may be fighting off something, take it easy over the next few days just in case.

Very true on both counts. You had a tough run, you finished it out - well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's so weird CM, I had a similar run today also. And I can't even use the excuse that I threw in a couple of fast miles, cos I kept a pretty constant 8:45-9:00 pace for the first 6 or 7 miles. Libby had a grooming app in Watergrasshill, so I dropped her off there and ran along the old road towards Glanmire and Cork. If anyone knows this road, they'll know it's seriously hilly. The first 6.5 miles were fine, I didn't have any water with me and I was really feeling it as it was quite mild and the sun was shining right in my eyes. At around 6.5 miles there was a mega hill and I just felt so fatigued, I ended up walking part ways up. The whole route back felt like a continuos uphill. I was roasting and sweating and gasping for water. I ended up stopping a couple of times and walking a couple of times. My stomach felt sick. I've never been so happy to finish a run and I'm including the marathon.

12 miles done and felt totally wrecked. Knee hurts, hamstring hurts, feel like I've done closer to 20 miles than 12. Not sure if its the lack of water or what, but just a crap run all in all.

As Mr Slow says, it's the bad runs that make you appreciate the good runs and tomorrow is another day!

Advertisement