Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options
1125126127128129131»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That's why I log often. Weekly would be pure waffle and I'd need long than my long run to type it!

Fair play still going with PE with Joe. You have so many squats done now surely you could dunk a basketball!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That's why I log often. Weekly would be pure waffle and I'd need long than my long run to type it!

Fair play still going with PE with Joe. You have so many squats done now surely you could dunk a basketball!

I'm on week 11. Today was pure torture. I actually threw up afterwards :o

Monday:

Core (PE with Joe) 45:00

As mentioned above I found this really tough. I was a bit fatigued anyway (usual story on a Monday). On the third week of PE with Joe we did a baseline fitness test consisting of one minute of squats followed by one minute of press ups followed by one minute of burpees with 30 seconds rest in between. The idea is to count how many you can do in a minute and we repeat every 4 weeks. My tally is as follows:

Week no| 3| 7|11
    No of squats| 34|42|41
    No of press ups|10 full, 9 on knees|25.5 full|31 full
    No of burpees|16|15|19

We started our usual workout then but today was spin the wheel. So whatever the wheel lands on is the exercise we do. This is always a tough day because invariably you end up doing a load of leg work. And then there's the mystery prize. Usually the mystery prize isn't too bad. It might be one minute of squats or burpees and it doesn't always land on the mystery prize anyway. Today it landed on the mystery prize towards the end of the first set of 10 minutes and the mystery prize was:

2 press ups, 2 squats, 2 burpees, 2 lunges
    4 press ups, 4 squats, 4 burpees, 4 lunges
    6 press ups, 6 squats, 6 burpees, 6 lunges
    8 press ups, 8 squats, 8 burpees, 8 lunges
    10 press ups, 10 squats, 10 burpees, 10 lunges

as fast as possible. When the wheel landed on the mystery prize a second time I thought I might cry but thankfully Joe switched it to 1 minute of lunges. It was after the 'bonus' 5 min abs workout that I threw up :o

Tuesday:

Run intervals 45:49 7.97 km (5:45 / km)

6 intervals with 90 sec recovery between each interval

Distance|Planned pace|Actual pace
    1k | 4:30| 4:19
    500m | 4:10| 4:04
    500m|4:10| 4:07
    200m |3:50| 3:26
    400m |4:10|3:59
    200m |3:50| 3:22

Core (PE with Joe) 30:00
    Core (Abs workout ) 5:00

Dragged myself out of bed at 8a.m. to do the run. I don't know what that's about. I used to be great to get up in the mornings. I didn't find this session too bad although my pacing still needs a bit of work and I did walk the recoveries. I'm actually really enjoying this plan. I debated doing PE or not and decided I would. I'm glad I did as it was easier than usual and I felt much looser afterwards.

Wednesday:

Run 51:43 8.35 km (6:12 / km)
    6:37 - 5:32

Legs felt surprisingly good this morning so I did a bit more than planned. PE was fun - exercises from around the world. Kick boxing from Thailand, sumo squats from Japan, sprints from Jamaica etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

31 full press ups in a minute :eek: Fair play!
    19 burpees nearly as impressive but I'd guess most posters on here would struggle to do 31 full press ups. Do you feel any noticeable strength uplift in your quads/glutes? How does running feel with all this PE? Is crossfit the next venture? :D

31 full press ups in a minute :eek: Fair play!
    19 burpees nearly as impressive but I'd guess most posters on here would struggle to do 31 full press ups. Do you feel any noticeable strength uplift in your quads/glutes? How does running feel with all this PE? Is crossfit the next venture? :D

Ya my press ups have really improved. Mind you my arms were sore yesterday and a bit today. My quads and glutes have got stronger. I've noticed in the last couple of weeks my quads look different, more toned. I think my running form has improved and my aerobic fitness. I don't think I'll be venturing into the crossfit world. I'd quite like to start doing karate again but I don't think it will be possible just now :)

• Advertisement

Thursday:

Run intervals 43:00 7.66 mi (5:37 / mi)

3 x 1k with 90 sec rec

Distance|1km|1km|1km
    Planned pace|4:30|4:10|4:30
    Actual pace|4:25|4:05|4:24

Core (Abs workout ) 7:00

Today's workout looked pretty easy on paper. I thought I'd fly through it. When I started my warm up and realised how heavy and tired my legs were, it was evident that would not be the case. Every rep was hard and it was the recoveries that were flying. I got it done though and that's the main thing. I was able to sneak in a little power nap in the afternoon before tackling the PE session :D

Friday:

Run 50:55 8.43 km (6:02 / km)
    6:24 - 5:36

Did the S&C before my run today since it was only a recovery jobby and also it was raining first thing :) I was looking through my logs the other day and I did do a mile TT on the track. It was September 2015 and I did it in 6:12.

Saturday:

Run 1:31:36 15.02 km (6:06 / km)

I was really tired and it was windy. I wasn't going to do as much but I stopped in at the house after about 7k to get a drink and then the second loop was 8k so I just kept going.

Sunday:

Run 40:00 6.5 km (6:09 / km)

I felt much better today. I was doing a new loop and I wasn't sure how far it was. I was going to continue on but I thought it might be too far so I did a u turn.

Weekly totals:

activity| # | time |miles |km
    Run| 6 | 5:23:03 | 36.41 | 58.6
    Core |5| 3:07:00|
    Total|7 | 8:30:03 | 36.41 | 58.6

Monday:

I strained my right quad again doing lunge jumps. I felt a sharp pain as if some of the muscle fibres were tearing when I dropped into the lunge. I finished the workout ok and then I put ice on it. There was no swelling and it's not sore to touch but there was kind of a dull ache in my quad Monday evening. When I got up this morning it still felt a bit achy and it's a bit tight when my right leg is fully extended. I was thinking I should take a step back week before this happened (there's none in the plan I'm following) so it's not the end of the world but I am annoyed with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Saturday:

I strained my right quad again doing lunge jumps. I felt a sharp pain as if some of the muscle fibres were tearing when I dropped into the lunge. I finished the workout ok and then I put ice on it. There was no swelling and it's not sore to touch but there was kind of a dull ache in my quad Monday evening. When I got up this morning it still felt a bit achy and it's a bit tight when my right leg is fully extended. I was thinking I should take a step back week before this happened (there's none in the plan I'm following) so it's not the end of the world but I am annoyed with myself.

Ouch! I've been noticing a twinge in my right quad anytime I do lunges, never feel a thing on a run or any other time - I guess the moral of that story is lunges are bad for us :D. Joking aside, you've been flying along with all the (many) activities so hopefully a mini rest will see a big improvement!

Ouch! I've been noticing a twinge in my right quad anytime I do lunges, never feel a thing on a run or any other time - I guess the moral of that story is lunges are bad for us :D. Joking aside, you've been flying along with all the (many) activities so hopefully a mini rest will see a big improvement!

Haha I thought you were going to say the moral of the story is that we're just getting old :D:D

• Advertisement

Tuesday:

Nothing. Quad still sore

Wednesday:

Run 16:15 2.5 km (6:30 / km)

Quad was still a bit sore but I was suffering from exercise withdrawal. I debated doing a PE session or going for a run. I thought the run would put less pressure on my quad so I headed out for a lap of the bog. Sadly I was mistaken. My quad started to get a bit niggly after a few minutes and it never improved. It was a bit chilly though so I kept a slow jog going and just walked the last bit.

Thursday:

Yoga (Neck pain ) 15:00

Core (100 squats) 5:00

So no running today. Quad was sore but the jog yesterday hadn't made it any worse so I thought I'd try a PE session. I did some lunges but very carefully with no explosive movements. I did a 5 minute abs finisher and then later my neck was sore from sleeping in a funny position so I did a bit of yoga. I also got this email from World Athletics with a link to sign up to a Fitter with Friends challenge. This weeks challenge is to do 100 squats a day for seven days. I signed my sister up as well but she didn't seem to keen on the squat challenge :pac:

Friday:

Core (Cooldown stretches) 10:00

Yoga 30:00

Quad was improved a bit but I thought it would be better not to run so more core and yoga

Saturday:

Run 31:17 5.0 km (6:15 / km)

Yoga 20:00

Chanced a run this morning. Pace was slow but no pain whatsoever in my quad when I was running. I did some squats before I ran and some after. The yoga was a flow sequence with Adriene. I haven't done that one before but I really enjoyed it. Quad was a little niggly in the evening.

Sunday:

Run 30:00 5.12 km (5:52 / km)

Went for a flatter route this morning. No pain when I ran again today. I was tempted to go a little further but I didn't want to push my luck. I'll just have to be patient. I think I'll need to do a few weeks just easy running and then start back into sessions. I'm going to go back to the mile plan but I think I'll only do one session a week instead of two. I don't seem to be able to recover enough when I do the two.

activity| # | time| miles| km
    Core| 5 | 2:10:00 |
    Run |3| 1:17:32 | 7.84| 12.62 |
    Yoga |3| 1:05:00 |
    Total |6| 4:32:32 | 7.84 | 12.62

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

How is your quad doing now?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    How is your quad doing now?

Hi ReeReeG. Quad is perfect thanks. I haven't been running for the last couple of weeks because my young horse bucked me off and then walked over me and I hurt my back/ass. I tried to run a couple of times but I was struggling to do 7min/km and it was very uncomfortable. I'm still doing PE with Joe but I'm only doing 3 days/week. He's not recording any more sessions since last Wednesday but I'm four weeks behind so I'm still good for my hiit fix for the next while 😁 I saw on your log that you're doing mile training. That's excellent. When I get going again maybe we can swop notes or something. I'm going to try a 5k jog tomorrow and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ouch, that sounds painful!! Good luck with the jog tomorrow, hope there's no pain :) Will happily take any tips for mile training !

Hey K, hope all is ok?

Hey K, hope all is ok?

Hi AM. All good thanks. I've been injured since my last post. Overuse injury involving the glute, hamstring and quad muscles on right side. I've been doing hours and hours of rehab. It's a bit tedious and the recovery is not linear. I did 4 x 5min running with 2 min walk last wed and felt good. Then I tried 6 x 5min run with 2 min walk on Fri and I've been sore since. My physio is happy that I'm doing all the right things so I just have to be patient. Lucky I can do bike sessions on the turbo pretty much pain free. I'm trying to prioritise the rehab though so I usually only do 1 or 2 bike sessions. Hope all is good with you to and that the rebel County is treating you well :D

Ah damn! Sorry to hear that, fingers crossed you get it sorted and at least you have the turbo :D. When you're back up and running we might organise a trip to Ballyhoura country for a jog. I managed to get to Canon Sheehan loop before lockdown but lots more to explore no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I managed to get to Cannon Sheehan loop before lockdown but lots more to explore no doubt!

https://visitballyhoura.com/explore/canon-sheehan-loop

Like I said on Strava, a cannon is a large gun, c’mon you’re an educated lady!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://visitballyhoura.com/explore/canon-sheehan-loop

Like I said on Strava, a cannon is a large gun, c’mon you’re an educated lady woman!!!!

Let's not go there....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Let's not go there....:rolleyes:

When I say lady it’s not meant in a condescending or derogatory way, it was a term of good manners when I was being brought up so it’s i term I’ll continue to use.

And Chris De Burgh wouldn’t have sold many records with a song called “Woman in Red”!!!!!

• Advertisement

Ah damn! Sorry to hear that, fingers crossed you get it sorted and at least you have the turbo :D. When you're back up and running we might organise a trip to Ballyhoura country for a jog. I managed to get to Canon Sheehan loop before lockdown but lots more to explore no doubt!
    OOnegative wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that the bridge on that loop is where Dad used to pretend he was a troll and we had try and run across the bridge without him catching us.

We were kids obviously :D:D

That sounds like a great idea AM. By the time we're out of this lock down I should be able to jog 7k all going well!

Advertisement