Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I'm working on it....give me 2 minutes :p

Boo!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think its safe to say that Waterford was a real success for team Meno. My goal was sub 1:40 and finished in 1:38:55. I am just bubbling over with happiness. I think I ran a good race and I'm really happy with myself for digging in when the pressure came on. I was uber early as usual. Went into lidl and got myself some running socks smile.png When I came back I saw Blockic, Fifii and docjewel. Was chatting to them and I spotted a likely Boardsie who turned out to be Coalshed. Got my warmup in running to the start with Blockic. I had to cue for ages for the toilets. Kept asking the girl next to me what time it was. She had her own problems cause she forgot her chip and her number and her sister was coming from Dunmore with them. I hope she got sorted!

So everyone was lined up when I came out. I saw the 1:40 balloons and slotted in behind them. Met Coalshed there as well but I wanted to be right behind the pacers so I didn't see him much for the first few miles. The pacers were sound out. They said they were going to build up a bit of a cushion over the first couple of miles and then run even enough splits. My plan was simple.....stay with them biggrin.png The first couple of miles were easier than I expected they would be. I was still having to work hard but it was manageable. The pacers were great with loads of chat and encouragement. The first hill was around mile 6 and I was happy enough going up it but I love hills. I was still feeling strong enough anyway.

I think it was around mile 7 that I met up with Dilbert and Upthe19th. That was cool. It makes it so much easier having people you know around you. Things were starting to get tough around then. My breathing on the uphills was catching me a bit and the legs were getting tired. The next few miles are a bit of a blur. I know I took a gel around 7 and a half miles when there was no sign of any water coming. Cheers Blockic for recommending I bring the isogel with me. It was bloody hard to get the gel into me. I'd say it must have taken me about half a mile to finish it cause it was so hard to swallow and breathe at the same time eek.png

Dilbert became my personal pacer around mile 10. The three of us kind of went on from the pacers around then. I was having to work as hard as I could to stay with the lads. Reading Meno's race tips post helped me out a lot though cause I was able to deal with the pain way better than I did in Athlone. Also having Dilbert and Upthe19th in front of me was a blessing - I mean I couldn't possible bring shame on Career Move by walking when they were there, could I. Coalshed had burned us off by this stage on his way to a mighty 1:36 I think. The second last mile was the toughest for me but Dilbert was a star with the encouragement like looking back to see where I was etc. Thanks dude. Owe you bigtime! I had to really dig deep especially when you can see the runners ahead of you passing back the other way. I tried to push for the last 100m but I started hyperventilating which is not ideal frown.png I used to do that when I was a kid and I was in a temper biggrin.png Blockic was at the finish to encourage us all. Fresh as a daisy after running 1:28 eek.png Such a relief to cross the finish line and stop. The sandwiches and stuff they had were much appreciated as was the sit down. Then upthe19th and I hobbled ran slowly back to the cars. Have to say it was a brilliant day. Will definitely be doing it againbiggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I think its safe to say that Waterford was a real success for team Meno. My goal was sub 1:40 and finished in 1:38:55. I am just bubbling over with happiness. I think I ran a good race and I'm really happy with myself for digging in when the pressure came on. I was uber early as usual. Went into lidl and got myself some running socks smile.png When I came back I saw Blockic, Fifii and docjewel. Was chatting to them and I spotted a liklely Boardsie who turned out to be Coalshed. Got my warmup in running to the start with Blockic I had to cue for ages for the toilets. Kept asking the girl next to me what time it was. She had her own problems cause she forgot her chip and her number and her sister was coming from Dunmore with them. I hope she got sorted!

So everyone was lined up when I came out. I saw the 1:40 balloons and slotted in behind them. Met Coalshed there as well but I wanted to be right behind the pacers so I didn't see him much for the first few miles. The pacers were sound out. They said they were going to build up a bit of a cushion over the first couple of miles and then run even enough splits. My plan was simple.....stay with them biggrin.png The first couple of miles were easier than I expected they would be. I was still having to work hard but it was manageable. The pacers were great with loads of chat and encouragement. The first hill was around mile 6 and I was happy enough going up it but I love hills. I was still feeling strong enough anyway.

I think it was around mile 7 that I met up with Dilbert and Upthe19th. That was cool. It makes it so much easier having people you know around you. Things were starting to get tough around then. My breathing on the uphills was catching me a bit and the legs were getting tired. The next few miles are a bit of a blur. I know I took a gel around 7 and a half miles when there was no sign of any water coming. Cheers Blockic for recommending I bring the isogel with me. It was bloody hard to get the gel into me. I say it must have taken me about half a mile to finish it cause it was so hard to swallow and breathe at the same time eek.png

Dilbert became my personal pacer around mile 10. The three of us kind of went on from the pacers around then. I was having to work as hard as I could to stay with the lads. Reading Meno's race tips post helped me out a lot though cause I was able to deal with the pain way better than I did in Athlone. Also having Dilbert and Upthe19th in front of me was a blessing - I mean I couldn't possible bring shame on Career Move by walking when they were there, could I. Coalshed had burned us off by this stage on his way to a mighty 1:36 I think. The second last mile was the toughest for me but Dilbert was a star with the encouragement like looking back to see where I was etc. Thanks dude. Owe you bigtime! I had to really dig deep especially when you can see the runners ahead of you passing back the other way. I tried to push for the last 100m but I started hyperventilating which is not ideal frown.png I used to do that when I was a kid and I was in a temper biggrin.png Blockic was at the finish to encourage us all. Fresh as a daisy after running 1:28 eek.png Such a relief to cross the finish line and stop. The sandwiches and stuff they had were much appreciated as was the sit down. Then upthe19th and I hobbled ran slowly back to the cars. Have to say it was a brilliant day. Will definitely be doing it biggrin.png

Great stuff today CM. You really smashed it. I can vouch that you definitely left it all out there today. Well done on a tremendous PB

upthe19th wrote: »
    Great stuff today CM. You really smashed it. I can vouch that you definitely left it all out there today. Well done on a tremendous PB
    Thanks. Yourself and Dilbert get some of the credit though.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done, great running, stay there now and don't go improving too much, my pb is in danger.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Thanks. Yourself and Dilbert get some of the credit though.....;)

Well Dilbert for definite...I got my classic "can't even talk anymore" phase...I was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

upthe19th wrote: »

Well Dilbert for definite...I got my classic "can't even talk anymore" phase...I was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

Ye each ran every step of that race yourselves and ye each deserve every bit of credit for the results ye achieved. So don't be so bloody modest about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fantastic result career_move, you totally got what your running & training deserves today. Next taget, sub 1.30, easy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done CM! I'm so happy for you (and just a teeny weeny bit jealous!) I knew you'd do great today, but that is seriously impressive just a month after DCM. I think you're well on for a 3:30 in limerick after a performance like that. I can confirm that Dilbert is a super pacer, he got me across the line in Clonmel!

Well done again, to everyone who ran today. You've thrown the gauntlet down now, so I intend to up my game so I'm not the slowest in the bunch for the next race!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    I can confirm that Dilbert is a super pacer, he got me across the line in Clonmel!
    !

Ah stop now! When my legs are busy my mouth gets bored, that's all - and it's gonna get me in trouble sooner or later.

What I do see is an emerging pattern of me getting chatting during races to women I've met on the internet. Sooner or later THAT is going to get me in trouble :)

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ah stop now! When my legs are busy my mouth gets bored, that's all - and it's gonna get me in trouble sooner or later.

What I do see is an emerging pattern of me getting chatting during races to women I've met on the internet. Sooner or later THAT is going to get me in trouble :)

You're one smooth operator Dilbert, it's gotta be said! It's all your talk of pace and feet ahead of target that has us all charmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congratulations, that is fantastic! Delighted for you, you're absolutely flying :)

tang1 wrote: »
    Fantastic result career_move, you totally got what your running & training deserves today. Next taget, sub 1.30, easy for you.
    :eek: The goalposts keep moving :eek:
    Well done CM! I'm so happy for you (and just a teeny weeny bit jealous!) I knew you'd do great today, but that is seriously impressive just a month after DCM. I think you're well on for a 3:30 in limerick after a performance like that. I can confirm that Dilbert is a super pacer, he got me across the line in Clonmel!

Well done again, to everyone who ran today. You've thrown the gauntlet down now, so I intend to up my game so I'm not the slowest in the bunch for the next race!
    Thanks. You'll have no bother with sub 1:40 when you're right. No doubt about it :D
    Dilbert75 wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Fantastic news CM. Delighted for you that all your hard work has paid off. A true role model!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

:eek: The goalposts keep moving :eek:

They never stop with that tang1 fella!;)

Don't worry, it will be payback for him in the Novice thread in 2013!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just Like Blockic,
    There's a new thread for you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056621274
    Next year we need you mixing it with the 'big girls'
    In the meantime can you find a 5 mile race before the new year to tick off the sub 35 goal on that list? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

Look forward to learning from you both(mean that).

blockic wrote: »

Haha.....i like it but Tang is staying on our thread. We're not losing him to the novices :eek:
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Just Like Blockic,
    There's a new thread for you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056621274
    Next year we need you mixing it with the 'big girls'
    In the meantime can you find a 5 mile race before the new year to tick off the sub 35 goal on that list? :D
    Wow thats an honour :o I don't think there's a 5 mile that I fancy driving to anyway :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    Look forward to learning from you both(mean that).
    If I can see further than you run faster than you it is because I am standing on the shoulders of giants drafting off faster runners :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Wow thats an honour :o I don't think there's a 5 mile that I fancy driving to anyway :)

Your half time gets you in anyway, so put your name up in lights and make those other times your future targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

To be honest CM i'm a bit disappointed, not one picture!:D

That was great running, well done. Blocky better not rest on his laurels otherwise he will need wing mirrors to keep an eye on you!

• Advertisement

dazza21ie wrote: »
    To be honest CM i'm a bit disappointed, not one picture!:D

That was great running, well done. Blocky better not rest on his laurels otherwise he will need wing mirrors to keep an eye on you!
    I didn't think today's race report needed any embellishment => no pictures :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on a super fantastic run today..so well deserved!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Ah great news C_M, you sounded ecstatic in your report....I'm delighted for you. I think some of the longer members of boards will have to to look over their shoulders soon. You're really coming on quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Fantastic result CM - really really well done.

I'm dying to get stuck into a half after reading your report.

Brilliant.

Thanks for all the kind words guys :D

2m in 24:10min this morning. I did it on the treadmill cause its so wet and the first ten minutes were a struggle to say the least!!! The legs seemed to loosen out then and are feeling pretty good now.

30 min core + 30 min yoga:D

So did you reward yourself with a tin of Minature Heroes last night, or have you kicked the choccies for good?

Did you used to do yoga classes or are you self taught? I'd love to learn to do some of the core exercises you were doing during the week, but I have such terrible rhythm/balance, I think I'd be too shy to do a class! Also don't think I'd have the time once the mileage starts to sneak up in the new year.

So did you reward yourself with a tin of Minature Heroes last night, or have you kicked the choccies for good?

Did you used to do yoga classes or are you self taught? I'd love to learn to do some of the core exercises you were doing during the week, but I have such terrible rhythm/balance, I think I'd be too shy to do a class! Also don't think I'd have the time once the mileage starts to sneak up in the new year.
    I had a giant chocolate chip cookie after the race :D Didn't really feel like anymore chocolate after that so I think I have kicked my addiction :D

I do all the core and yoga on the nintendo wii (wii fit plus). I've had it for about 4 years but even though I know the poses I still use it to make sure I'm doing it properly. I would deffo recommend it. It shows you how to do the exercises and the yoga and then you get a score so you can really see yourself improving :D

I never thought of the Wii, that's a great idea, might see if I can borrow one for a couple of weeks and try before I buy.

I really need to kick the chocolate too, I have a serious sweet tooth. Realistically not gonna happen until after Christmas, but come January, I am definitely kicking all the bad stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Thanks for all the kind words guys :D

2m in 24:10min this morning. I did it on the treadmill cause its so wet and the first ten minutes were a struggle to say the least!!! The legs seemed to loosen out then and are feeling pretty good now.

30 min core + 30 min yoga:D

Ah come on now,all GENUINE EARLY MORNING runners go out no matter what way the weather is:p

• Advertisement

docjewel wrote: »
    Ah come on now,all GENUINE EARLY MORNING runners go out no matter what way the weather is:p
    What can I say.....hanging my head in shame here :p:D

Advertisement