Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1 to all the above. No doubt the fast miles in the middle reared their head in the end, but also you have gone well over 30 miles this week by my calculations? That is probably your biggest week for a while (one of your biggest ever?) so no wonder you are feeling it at the end of your long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Runs like these make you appreciate the good ones! ;)

You may be fighting off something, take it easy over the next few days just in case.
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Very true on both counts. You had a tough run, you finished it out - well done!
    ncmc wrote: »
    That's so weird CM, I had a similar run today also. And I can't even use the excuse that I threw in a couple of fast miles, cos I kept a pretty constant 8:45-9:00 pace for the first 6 or 7 miles. Libby had a grooming app in Watergrasshill, so I dropped her off there and ran along the old road towards Glanmire and Cork. If anyone knows this road, they'll know it's seriously hilly. The first 6.5 miles were fine, I didn't have any water with me and I was really feeling it as it was quite mild and the sun was shining right in my eyes. At around 6.5 miles there was a mega hill and I just felt so fatigued, I ended up walking part ways up. The whole route back felt like a continuos uphill. I was roasting and sweating and gasping for water. I ended up stopping a couple of times and walking a couple of times. My stomach felt sick. I've never been so happy to finish a run and I'm including the marathon.

12 miles done and felt totally wrecked. Knee hurts, hamstring hurts, feel like I've done closer to 20 miles than 12. Not sure if its the lack of water or what, but just a crap run all in all.

As Mr Slow says, it's the bad runs that make you appreciate the good runs and tomorrow is another day!
    menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 to all the above. No doubt the fast miles in the middle reared their head in the end, but also you have gone well over 30 miles this week by my calculations? That is probably your biggest week for a while (one of your biggest ever?) so no wonder you are feeling it at the end of your long run.
    Thanks guys :D Ya I guess its just one of those things. Sometimes the horses run like that and there's no explanation for it. I'm not too bothered about it. In fact I feel like a fraud cause I have loads of energy now:o I did 6 weeks over 34 miles for DCM and 3 of those were over 40 miles so don't think its fatigue unless I'm feeling the sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Much the same as Blockic, you were due a bad one. Runs at 7.30am, tending to horses most of the day, playing computer games on the Wii, planning shopping trips to the Big Smoke. In all fairness i've said it before, fair play to you. Now dont get a nosebleed driving up to Dublin next week, we all know what culchies are like travelling to the city!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Much the same as Blockic, you were due a bad one. Runs at 7.30am, tending to horses most of the day, playing computer games on the Wii, planning shopping trips to the Big Smoke. In all fairness i've said it before, fair play to you. Now dont get a nosebleed driving up to Dublin next week, we all know what culchies are like travelling to the city!!!
    Hahaha that made me laugh :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

tang1 wrote: »
    we all know what culchies are like travelling to the city!!!

Ha, she'll be up there on O'Connell Bridge staring bemused at the traffic lights! :P:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

13 mi @ 8.45/mi

This was a strange run. I was feeling great for the first couple of miles. It was a lovely morning and the ring I ran today is my favourite. The road into Templetuohy is dead straight through the bog with forestry on either side of the road. Its really quiet and pretty. I did 4 9ish min miles and then 4 a bit faster 8:21, 8:25, 7:57, 7:52. So far so good. The next mile was grand as well. I felt like I was going a lot slower than I was. Then suddenly I just wanted to stop. I felt like I was at the end of a marathon. My back was hurting, my knees started to hurt. I felt like I was moving in a really funny way. Please let me walk. I've two and a half more miles before I get home. There's no point in walking. I look at my watch and the pace hasn't dropped much. I keep telling myself to slow down. Myself just wants to walk. I get back to my house and I've done 11.8 miles. I keep going. Just get to 12. The watch beeps for 12. I keep going. Just to the top of the hill then you can turn around. My stomach feels like I haven't eaten for a week and in my head I feel like I'm wrecked but my slowest miles were mile 1 and mile 12. Both 9:13. emo46.gif
    ncmc wrote: »
    That's so weird CM, I had a similar run today also. And I can't even use the excuse that I threw in a couple of fast miles, cos I kept a pretty constant 8:45-9:00 pace for the first 6 or 7 miles. Libby had a grooming app in Watergrasshill, so I dropped her off there and ran along the old road towards Glanmire and Cork. If anyone knows this road, they'll know it's seriously hilly. The first 6.5 miles were fine, I didn't have any water with me and I was really feeling it as it was quite mild and the sun was shining right in my eyes. At around 6.5 miles there was a mega hill and I just felt so fatigued, I ended up walking part ways up. The whole route back felt like a continuos uphill. I was roasting and sweating and gasping for water. I ended up stopping a couple of times and walking a couple of times. My stomach felt sick. I've never been so happy to finish a run and I'm including the marathon.

12 miles done and felt totally wrecked. Knee hurts, hamstring hurts, feel like I've done closer to 20 miles than 12. Not sure if its the lack of water or what, but just a crap run all in all.

As Mr Slow says, it's the bad runs that make you appreciate the good runs and tomorrow is another day!

Must have been the day to have a bit of a struggle. Will appreciate those runs that you pretty much forget as soon as your finished because they were easy that bit much more now.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Must have been the day to have a bit of a struggle. Will appreciate those runs that you pretty much forget as soon as your finished because they were easy that bit much more now.
    I meant to write something similar on your log earlier and I forgot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Ha, she'll be up there on O'Connell Bridge staring bemused at the traffic lights! :P:pac:

Is it Leitrim that still does not have a set of traffic lights in the whole county?:pac:

Think I heard that somewhere. Electricity is being installed up there as we speak. :D

2m @ 9:32/mi

I still can't upload my runs to garmin connect :(

P.M 30 min core + 30 min yoga

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |3m easy|session*|3 miles recovery|5m easy|rest/cross|LSR (10-13 miles)|5 mile easy

10 Mile Session:

1 mile easy warmup
    7:20/mi
    5 minute recovery jog
    - 2 mile @ 7:10/mi
    4 minute recovery jog
    - 2 mile @ 6:55/mi (maybe :))
    1 mile easy cool down. (~ 10 mi )

I'm going to do this on my way home from work. There's a hill (175ft climb) going to be right in the middle of the first 2 mile pace bit....

view_route_elevation?get_profile=2c2cdbf5f02ee70ce85c54b7ea60e424&consumer_key=b513571b80685c74fa95b7755d916c24048889df4

Hmmm.......what to do :confused: Just do it cause there's going to be hills in races or go steady up the hill but then its kind of downhill for the pace bit so its going to be easier emo37.gif

• Advertisement

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |3m easy|session*|3 miles recovery|5m easy|rest/cross|LSR (10-13 miles)|5 mile easy
    10 Mile Session:

1 mile easy warmup
    6:55/mi
    5 minute recovery jog
    - 2 mile @ 6:55/mi
    4 minute recovery jog
    - 2 mile @ 6:55/mi
    1 mile easy cool down. (~ 10 mi )

I'm going to do this on my way home from work. There's a hill (175ft climb) going to be right in the middle of the first 2 mile pace bit....

view_route_elevation?get_profile=2c2cdbf5f02ee70ce85c54b7ea60e424&consumer_key=b513571b80685c74fa95b7755d916c24048889df4

Hmmm.......what to do :confused: Just do it cause there's going to be hills in races or go steady up the hill but then its kind of downhill for the pace bit so its going to be easier emo37.gif

A tempo session is supposed to be done on a flat course, reason being you want to build up to just under your lactate threshold and stay there, if your hr goes above and below because of the terrain you defeat the purpose. That said running up a hill at half marathon pace won't hurt, it just won't gve you the training result you're after.:)

Would it be possible to tweak the route so that you get to to the uphill part during one of the slower sections?

If not as Mr Slow says, just try to keep the effort the same and allow yourself to go a bit slower on the uphill...

P.S. 6:55/mile is a very aggressive pace :eek: what was your average in waterford?

Would it be possible to tweak the route so that you get to to the uphill part during one of the slower sections?

If not as Mr Slow says, just try to keep the effort the same and allow yourself to go a bit slower on the uphill...

P.S. 6:55/mile is a very aggressive pace :eek: what was your average in waterford?
    7:35 :o

7:35 :o

That's a massive jump.
    It is good to be aggressive with your goals, but speed is built up over a lot of sessions. If you find 6:55 too hard to hold, don't be afraid to run it a bit slower. Run by feel. Tempo runs like this one should feel 'comfortably hard'.

That's a massive jump.
    It is good to be aggressive with your goals, but speed is built up over a lot of sessions. If you find 6:55 too hard to hold, don't be afraid to run it a bit slower. Run by feel. Tempo runs like this one should feel 'comfortably hard'.
    Ok thanks. Thats my goal 10 mile pace. 10 mile pace from the HM time would be 7.25. Should I go with this. I'm happy to go slower :D

Ok thanks. Thats my goal 10 mile pace. 10 mile pace from the HM time would be 7.25. Should I go with this. I'm happy to go slower :D

As I say it is certainly an aggressive goal ;) Maybe try something in between. If you can do that last 2 mile stint at 6:55 then go for it.

Your lactate threshold is between your current 10 mile and half marathon pace, not your goal pace. If you run these too hard and recover you'll get faster (but not as much as if you do them right :P), if you don't get the recovery right you'll go the other way. I made lots of gains on Tempo runs + easy mileage last year, as Meno says they should be comfortably hard, you should finish feeling like there's more in the tank.

Your lactate threshold is between your current 10 mile and half marathon pace, not your goal pace. If you run these too hard and recover you'll get faster (but not as much as if you do them right :P), if you don't get the recovery right you'll go the other way. I made lots of gains on Tempo runs + easy mileage last year, as Meno says they should be comfortably hard, you should finish feeling like there's more in the tank.
    Cool thanks. Put your head on the block there will ya and give me a time please :D

BTW I'm going to run either before or after work to avoid the hills :)

Cool thanks. Put your head on the block there will ya and give me a time please :D

BTW I'm going to run either before or after work to avoid the hills :)

Run 7:10/20, if it feels too easy go a little harder next time ;)

3.2 mi @ 9:12/mi

30 min yoga

One of the sheep has been looking like she's going to lamb for the last few weeks so herself and her buddy were moved into one of the stables. They go out during the day and come in at night. For the last few days she can only waddle but she kindly decided to lamb this evening. She had twins :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

3.2 mi @ 9:12/mi

30 min yoga

One of the sheep has been looking like she's going to lamb for the last few weeks so herself and her buddy were moved into one of the stables. They go out during the day and come in at night. For the last few days she can only waddle but she kindly decided to lamb this evening. She had twins :D:D:D

Ahh sounds sweet. I thought you were a horse trainer, never knew you were a Vet! Rewarding job I'd say.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Ahh sounds sweet. I thought you were a horse trainer, never knew you were a Vet! Rewarding job I'd say.
    Hmmm it has its ups and downs ;)

10.5 mi in 1:25:29

*New 5k time = 22.17 :D

Splits for session:

1) 7:14, 7:16, 6,54

2) 7:20, 6:57

3) 7:11, 7:07

In between cursing Meno for this horrible session I was blessing him and Mr Slow for not letting me go off at 6:55 pace. I don't think I could have finished it at that pace. It was a bit of a struggle as it was :eek: I don't think I'll be ready for a sub 21 min 5k next wed either. The first two splits were comfortable enough so I quickened a tiny bit for the third one. It wasn't really my intention but the watch beeped to tell me I was ahead of 7:20 pace so I said I'd try and keep it up. The fourth one was horrible. I was running into a head wind (well more of a breeze than a wind :rolleyes:) and it was slightly uphill. I didn't hear the watch beeping for the mile split and I ended up stopping and taking a breather. The 5th one was grand. I'm not too sure why its way faster than the 4th one. Had to stop again after the second last one and the last one was grand. I thought it was better to stop and take a minute than to just run slower but I don't know if thats right or not. I wouldn't say it was my best session but my excuses are 1) I hadn't eaten since 8a.m and 2) I'm lazy and I wasn't mentally very focused today :o But I got it done anyway emo49.gif

P.M 30 min yoga

Great session. Considering 10 mile pace is not much faster than HM pace, you have come on another good chunk since Waterford.

Sub 21 will be no bother next week (well it won't be easy but you will get it done ;)).

Great session. Considering 10 mile pace is not much faster than HM pace, you have come on another good chunk since Waterford.

Sub 21 will be no bother next week (well it won't be easy but you will get it done ;)).

Agreed, you'll have to change your goal for Limerick though ;)

Agreed, you'll have to change your goal for Limerick though ;)
    Nah I dont think so (unless you mean slower than 8:30)..... its a training run for Portumna :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

CM, fair play to you, that was a great session, you're really flying and i can see huge PBs for you right throughout next year. Keep up the good work:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

13 mi @ 8.45/mi

This was a strange run. I was feeling great for the first couple of miles. It was a lovely morning and the ring I ran today is my favourite. The road into Templetuohy is dead straight through the bog with forestry on either side of the road. Its really quiet and pretty. I did 4 9ish min miles and then 4 a bit faster 8:21, 8:25, 7:57, 7:52. So far so good. The next mile was grand as well. I felt like I was going a lot slower than I was. Then suddenly I just wanted to stop. I felt like I was at the end of a marathon. My back was hurting, my knees started to hurt. I felt like I was moving in a really funny way. Please let me walk. I've two and a half more miles before I get home. There's no point in walking. I look at my watch and the pace hasn't dropped much. I keep telling myself to slow down. Myself just wants to walk. I get back to my house and I've done 11.8 miles. I keep going. Just get to 12. The watch beeps for 12. I keep going. Just to the top of the hill then you can turn around. My stomach feels like I haven't eaten for a week and in my head I feel like I'm wrecked but my slowest miles were mile 1 and mile 12. Both 9:13. emo46.gif

P.M 30 min yoga + 30 min core

See it was just a blip, great session today well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Great session cm. you've made some excellent progress of late. The miles will be well up this week too. Keep it going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Hmmm it has its ups and downs ;)

A vet, does that mean you can provide medical advice without sanctions?

I think there's another running vet on boards!

Seriously CM am impressed with your determined training - there will be no stopping you in 2013

Advertisement