Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Women) 10 Round Numbers- how many of these can you run in 2012?

Options
  • 28-04-2012 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

a||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||

These are all "10 Round Numbers" that a common-or-garden female club runner should be able to hit at some stage in their career. Rather than go with ranking, or points, or multiple tables, or whatever, this thread is primarily about hitting these targets, and a bit of comment on what it took for you to hit them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RayCun wrote: »
    Name|400m<70 secs|800m<3min|1 mile<6 min|3k<12min|5k<20min|5mile<35min|10k<40m|10miles<70min|Half Marathon<100mins|Marathon<200min

a||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||

These are all "10 Round Numbers" that a common-or-garden female club runner should be able to hit at some stage in their career. Rather than go with ranking, or points, or multiple tables, or whatever, this thread is primarily about hitting these targets, and a bit of comment on what it took for you to hit them.

Yeh probably a good idea if it gets more women trying the shorter distances.

The marathon target here is certainly far far softer for women than the respective target is for men. The 400 target would also be softer, with a 59 for a man roughly equivalent to a 66 for a woman.

The 800m, 5k and 10k are obviously harder for women though so that balances it out. Still though, that 800 target is easy and most people should pick off that at least.

EDIT: I misread the marathon target here to be 3hrs40. Scratch what I said above so about that.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Serious question - why are the 3k, 5k and 10k goals at the same pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

12 minutes is rounder than 11 :)

Same as in the men's list - 5k and 10k are the same pace, 1/2 and full marathons, 5 mile and 10 mile. It just means the 3k target is easier than the 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Hmmm, it's a tough one, I think a 20 minute 5k is very achievable for most decent women runners, not as sure about the 10k, what do you think?

The real restriction with all of this is the criteria of "round numbers". D'Pop got the original targets fairly close together, with the exception of the 5K and the 800m (which would be a recovery jog to most people reaching the other targets). But on these tables it seems to be done just by guess work, and no real knowledge has gone into it.

In an ideal world, these would be my targets:

Men:

400m: 60 secs
    800m: 2:15
    Mile : 5 mins
    3000m : 10 mins
    5000m : 18 mins
    5 Mile : 30 mins
    10000m : 40 mins
    10 Mile : 60 mins
    Half : 1:20
    Full : 3 hours

Women:

400m: 70 secs
    800m: 2:30
    Mile : 6 mins
    3000m : 12 mins
    5000m : 21 mins
    5 Mile : 35 mins
    10000m : 45 mins
    10 Mile : 70 mins
    Half : 1:40
    Full : 3:30

Obviously some are stronger targets than others, but they are much more in line with each other.

However, the Round Number thing really restricts us here a bit.

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    However, the Round Number thing really restricts us here a bit.

Round numbers are milestones. A 19 minute 5k is a better performance than a 20, but I don't think I'll care about it as much as I did about breaking 20 minutes. Same with you and a 60 second 400m - you're not going to name your log "aiming for a sub-59 400m" because it's not such a big deal. Same with all the marathon runners who set themselves the challenge of going sub-3 or sub-4.

RayCun wrote: »
    Round numbers are milestones. A 19 minute 5k is a better performance than a 20, but I don't think I'll care about it as much as I did about breaking 20 minutes. Same with you and a 60 second 400m - you're not going to name your log "aiming for a sub-59 400m" because it's not such a big deal. Same with all the marathon runners who set themselves the challenge of going sub-3 or sub-4.

Funny you should say that, I was thinking of getting it changed from "Sub 60 400m" to "From 58 to 55" or something like that. :)

A milestone is a target somebody sets in their head. Sub 59 was a bigger deal for me in the end than Sub 60, and it became very important to me after getting the sub 60, and indeed it took a few failed attempts to get it right.

What ever way you look at it though, 3 minutes is not a milestone for 800m, men or women.

^^^^

I think some of your targets are still flawed though, 45 mins for a 10k, 7.15 pace and then 70 minutes for 10 mile? To be honest I think the round numbers are fine, if some of them are a bit soft it doesn't really matter, there is nothing to stop you running well under the targets.

* In relation to 0407xxxx post.

pconn062 wrote: »
    ^^^^

I think some of your targets are still flawed though, 45 mins for a 10k, 7.15 pace and then 70 minutes for 10 mile? To be honest I think the round numbers are fine, if some of them are a bit soft it doesn't really matter, there is nothing to stop you running well under the targets.

* In relation to 0407xxxx post.

Yeh as I said some are easier than the others, but they'd be a lot more in line with each other. As it stands we currently have some big outliers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

04072511 wrote: »
    As it stands we currently have some big outliers.
    But that is good, in both tables of targets.

If none of them appear even vaguely achievable why would you bother. No point in having them all at the same level as that defeats the whole purpose, these threads are not about figuring out equivalent performances, it's about running round number target times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    b||| |||| |||

OK, since I sort of requested this (and thanks very much) I'm putting my name in. I actually don't think I'll hit any this year, but they're something to aim for!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    OK, since I sort of requested this (and thanks very much) I'm putting my name in. I actually don't think I'll hit any this year, but they're something to aim for!

Where do you think you'll go closest? What races are you targeting, and what kind of training are you doing?

I don't do much targeted training at all, but I race 1-3 miles pretty regularly, so that's sort of like speed training!

Last spring mile race time was 7.23 (my first mile race), this year my best time so far is 6.29, so I MIGHT get that down to 6 within another 12 months ... (maybe). In the 5k, i did the St Patrick's MBS one in 2011 in 26.30 and this year I did 22.41, so I'm a long way from 20 mins, but my times are coming down gradually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't do much targeted training at all, but I race 1-3 miles pretty regularly, so that's sort of like speed training!

Last spring mile race time was 7.23 (my first mile race), this year my best time so far is 6.29, so I MIGHT get that down to 6 within another 12 months ... (maybe). In the 5k, i did the St Patrick's MBS one in 2011 in 26.30 and this year I did 22.41, so I'm a long way from 20 mins, but my times are coming down gradually!

Are you based near dublin?
    There are a lot of flat, fast 5 mile races coming up (BHAA races in RTE and Duboyne, and the terenure 5 miler). Your 5k times indicates that you are at a level to target a sub 35 min 5 miler. IMO that is the easiest of the targets in the ladies list. You should give it a go!!

Hmm, I was over 38 minutes in the Raheny 5 this year, so don't know if I'll do sub 35 any time soon! But will aim for it. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hmm, I was over 38 minutes in the Raheny 5 this year, so don't know if I'll do sub 35 any time soon! But will aim for it. Thanks!

well it's defnitely the softest of the 'womens' times ;). Your 5k time is not far off 7 min/mile so with a little training/practise it should be the easiest for you to achieve.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are you based near dublin?
    There are a lot of flat, fast 5 mile races coming up (BHAA races in RTE and Duboyne, and the terenure 5 miler). Your 5k times indicates that you are at a level to target a sub 35 min 5 miler. IMO that is the easiest of the targets in the ladies list. You should give it a go!!

No way. The 800m time is the softest.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

I'd like to join in for this. What do I need to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Run!

Yeah just as Krusty says, try and hit the targets over the different distances in the table and slot them in when you do! Some of them should be quite easy for you.

• Advertisement

I never stop fecking running! :D What I meant was how do I edit the table :o

I'm aiming for sub 35 in the BHAA 5 mile race next weekend so I'll come back on after that.

I never stop fecking running! :D What I meant was how do I edit the table :o

Ah I see, just click quote on the opening post and you will be able to stick your name and you time into the table, and click post. Just remember to remove the quote tags and all of Ray's text before you post as well.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ah I see, just click quote on the opening post and you will be able to stick your name and you time into the table, and click post. Just remember to remove the quote tags and all of Ray's text before you post as well.

I should have said above 'all going well' I'll be back on next week, talk about getting ahead of yourself lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||

Too late. You're committed now. :)

Just quote the latest version of the table, add your info, and delete the opening [ quote ] and [ / quote] tags. Good luck next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Good luck with the targets ladies! I'll be watching this with envy interest!

Thanks for that! (I think)
    We've a track opening in town here in a couple of weeks, so can't wait to try some of the shorter ones down there. Love a bit of healthy competition I do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew

I'm delighted to discover that I have run one of these but I'm table-challenged and I can't figure out how to write in my result in the correct column as the table looks jumbled when I quote it (sorry:o, I know this is very bascic stuff). Can somebody (sorry Ray:)) tell me how to put in 1.38.37 in the Half marathon, or should that be 98.37?

My last three 5 mile races have all been 35.XX so this will also help give me the push I need to get under 35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Marthastew wrote: »

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew
    I'm delighted to discover that I have run one of these but I'm table-challenged and I can't figure out how to write in my result in the correct column as the table looks jumbled when I quote it (sorry:o, I know this is very bascic stuff). Can somebody (sorry Ray:)) tell me how to put in 1.38.37 in the Half marathon, or should that be 98.37?

My last three 5 mile races have all been 35.XX so this will also help give me the push I need to get under 35

I just rechecked my results from the Irish Runner 5 Mile last year and joy of joys my chip time was..... 34.59:D,
    at this rate I should have that table full before I cook the dinner this evening....

(Note to self, learn what my PBs are)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

HelenAnne||||| |||||
    caseyjones1||| |||| |||
    Marthastew||||||34:59|||98:37|

Advertisement