Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€4 million to Uganda?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

zenno wrote: »
    And again the Irish citizen/taxpayer gets screwed. How many times can you screw the taxpayer ? just waiting for some other bomb-shell news report soon on the squandering of taxpayers money.

In 24 hours it will all be forgotten again by the Irish people and government and this is why we need to get fluoride out of the water supply...it's making the Irish people stupid and forgettable. :D

That is the other infuriating thing, given the level of corruption in countries in Africa, how did he have access to transfer the money to begin with? Should he not have had to have been given authorisation from an Irish official each time he accessed this account?

If such a transaction was authorised by the banks involved then surely there are a lot more questions to ask, like what actually happened to the money we have been given to Uganda in the past 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

lightspeed wrote: »
    That is the other infuriating thing, given the level of corruption in countries in Africa, how did he have access to transfer the money to begin with? Should he not have had to have been given authorisation from an Irish official each time he accessed this account?

If such a transaction was authorised by the banks involved then surely there are a lot more questions to ask, like what actually happened to the money we have been given to Uganda in the past 20 years?

That's why a lot more questions need to be asked in relation to this fraud.

Some very good points made here in boards politics http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056774318

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Nodin wrote: »
    They're taken in so they can have something resembling a normal life. We do so as we signed an addition to the Geneva convention way back in the 1950's and its part of our international obligation.

Bollax, if they are not able to have a normal life back home then what is the point in given all the money that we give?

And if they are, then why are we in a position where we are taking in refugees to provide refuge from said countries?

Its not a racial issue for me its a logical one. We have not fixed the source of the problem, so until we do, its a waste of money, time and resources in takng in refugees from corrupt countries while at the same time fuelling and facilitating said corruption.

Would you agree with bailing out our banks again even if you could be certain all the same corruption. would remain?

If not then, how can you support given foreign aid to corrupt countries like Uganda.

Under the current system ,
    We give large amounts of money to help people in African countries live a normal life.
    We also spend large amounts of money accomadating refugees as they cant have a normal life in their own country

Do you see any holes to this logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bollax, if they are not able to have a normal life back home then what is the point in given all the money that we give?

You'll find that handing over money to fix complex problems will not result in an instant fix.

Its not a racial issue for me its a logical one. We have not fixed the source of the problem so until we do, its a waste of money, time and resources in takng in refugees from corrupt countries while at the same time fuelng and facilitating said corruption.

Generally speaking, money goes to projects in those countries, not the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Hootanany wrote: »
    How much do we give the the rest of Africa Country by Country I'd like to know.
    Back in the old days kids use to have to bring a penny into school for the black babies and now they are all over here and still we are sending money out to them.

Fcuking jokeshop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Generally speaking, money goes to projects in those countries, not the state.

Generally speaking I pay my taxes to benefit the country my family and I live in.........

Show Time wrote: »
    Back in the old days kids use to have to bring a penny into school for the black babies and now they are all over here and still we are sending money out to them.

Fcuking jokeshop.

No, I've no idea how accusations of racism always creep into these threads. It's a complete fucking mystery to me.

mikom wrote: »
    Generally speaking I pay my taxes to benefit the country my family and I live in.........

Then start a campaign to end donations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Keyzer wrote: »
    Considering we, as a nation, don't have a pot to piss in:

Why are we giving any other country aid?

Maybe I'll be lambasted for saying this but we need to get our own backyard in order before even contemplating helping any other nation.

€32 million yet they are cutting anything and everything?

Sense? I don't think so...

Well said dude.................. the oul nigerians are getting enough as it is, a second kfc open in the oul blanchardstown centre and everything :eek:

shakes fist at Uganda on his globe that sits on his ikea table

No, I've no idea how accusations of racism always creep into these threads. It's a complete fucking mystery to me.
    Where in my post was there a racist comment???

To the best of my knowledge most of the babies born in Africa are black.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'm starting up a campaign to end that.

Where in my post was there a racist comment???

At least be honest about your views. It's quite clear where you're coming from.

At least be honest about your views. It's quite clear where you're coming from.
    Yes they are over here now did i say if that was a good or a bad thing???

Yes they are over here now

"all" of them apparently, which came as a shock.
    did i say if that was a good or a bad thing???

Adding "fucking jokeshop" underlined the tone. Be honest, if nothing else.

"all" of them apparently, which came as a shock.

Adding "fucking jokeshop" underlined the tone. Be honest, if nothing else.
    I was referring to the Irish government sending out money that is the joke shop.:rolleyes:

I was referring to the Irish government sending out money that is the joke shop.:rolleyes:

Yeah, lets have a look at the full statement again....

Fcuking jokeshop.

...pull the other one.

...pull the other one.
    So are you accusing me of being a racist???

Be careful now where you go with this one.

...pull the other one.

nodin stop would ya........................everyone is sick of the racist statement being banded around...........people are at breaking point in this country, we all dont want to save the whales and build huts like your goodself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

You'd think after billions in aid, welfare and food programs, the recipients would at least have copped on how to grow spuds and move within a reasonable distance of a water well. "Jolani has to walk 9 miles each ...." Yeah we get it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

It's really sickening when i hear about these large sums of money being given out when things like home care and other services for the disabled and elderly are being cut :mad: That 4 mil alone would mean the home help services would not have had to been cut so severely (people getting 44 hours a month cut etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any country which has little or no civil rights for its people and believes in witchcraft and other bo11ixoligy shouldn't get one cent of our money, same goes for any country that has the money to blow on nuclear weapons. Most of the countries of Africa are the same now or even worse than they were 20 years ago, they just don't learn with our current system of handouts to muppet governments and dictatorships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I only skimmed through the posts so forgive me if I am repeating anything that's already been said.

The government of Uganda is very corrupt, that much is true, so that 4 million euro may very well have been channelled into the private coffers of a select elite but we don't have all the facts.

What bothers me about the OP is that it paints Ireland as a victim. Please take the time to research Ireland's foreign policy with regards to the African countries (the recent Ireland-Africa strategy would be a good place to start) with which it has bilateral relations. The Irish government may have originally been in this for 'altruistic' reasons but I doubt very much that that is the case anymore. It's not as simple as the Irish government being oh-so-benevolent at the expense of the Irish tax payer. And while you're there, you may as well look into what some of the Irish companies like Tullow oil are doing in those countries and how Ireland benefits from maintaining the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The reality is that a there are a lot of people a lot worse off than us.

A friend is an auditor. A few years ago he spent about a month in 3(?) African countries doing audits - pick random projects and see if they have been completed. All Irish Aid funding is dependent on previously funded projects being completed.

This AID money is not going to the poorest in these countries, looks like the they are trying to fix this mess.

Justine Greening has called for a major shake-up in the EU aid budget – as it emerged more than half the cash is squandered on relatively rich countries.

The International Development Secretary challenged the basis of the £10billion-a-year budget, which channels cash to countries such as Turkey, Iceland and Brazil.

She is pressing for a major shift in policy to target resources at the poorest countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218107/Stop-sending-aid-money-rich-countries-Cabinet-minister-Justine-Greening-tells-European-Union.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Victor wrote: »

A friend is an auditor. A few years ago he spent about a month in 3(?) African countries doing audits - pick random projects and see if they have been completed. All Irish Aid funding is dependent on previously funded projects being completed.

So what
    It's time for these places to start looking after themselves.
    Give them nothing - we have our own problems here.
    Just pull the plug on them.
    Try begging elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much do we pay in foreign aid and why?

Victor wrote: »

did he bang the hole off any Ugandan broads????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Haven't we just been begging for the last, 2, 5, 10, 20, 500 years?

Chinasea wrote: »
    Haven't we just been begging for the last, 2, 5, 10, 20, 500 years?

But we are paying it back with high interest. It wasn't begging, it was a loan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Population of Ethiopia in the mid 80s, when Bob Geldof was collecting for them...30 million

Their present population ...90 million.

Their having a laugh
    Give them nothing

Advertisement