Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€4 million to Uganda?

Options
  • 25-10-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Just seen on Rte that Eamon Gilmore will not tolerate any misappropriation of revenue from the Irish payer ( Like we never heard that before :(),

We give €32 million to Uganda alone and according to Rte theres a lot of speculation that a lot of goes on military equipment ( AK47s and Izuzu trucks and the like).

Apparently, we have been given them aid for the past 20 years.

Why?

After 20 years and things are just as corrupt as ever. I dont understand it, we take in refugees to this country from places like Uganda, foot the bill for housing and welfare, and then we also give millions of euro to the Ugandan government as well?

If the environment is still the same and corruption is still widespread,why are we still committing Irish tax payers money to countries like Uganda.

If anybody wants to make the argument that there are poor hungry children struggling in a country with poor healthcare, please bear in mind we have that here in Ireland right now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

No it's ok!!.

It was put into the Prince of Ugandas account. He'll clear this up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Why the feck do we bother? It's just going to go to the wrong people and help fvck all people but dictators and warmongers

I'd sooner volunteer out there. At lest then I'd see with my own eyes that something positive actually got done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

heroin production and the world economy questions
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I was shocked to hear we gave so much to Uganda alone myself. Seems like an extortionate amount alright, especially if it's not known what they're doing with these funds.

This country is almost bankrupt, yet we can still afford to send €33 million to another country for aid? Seems crazy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

How much did idi get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

So the starving mother and baby are responsible for what their governments do.
    Like or loath it, our bail out is a handout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

The goverment has wasted billions over the years, i don't think another 32 million is anything to worry to much about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    The goverment has wasted billions over the years, i don't think another 32 million is anything to worry to much about.

Uganda regret saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

It the waffly ones last ditch scheme to save the economy. The Ugandans promised to send 92 billion US dollars that are currently resting in a dormant account - they just needed another 4 million for lawyers fees to get the dosh released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Chinasea wrote: »

But that 33 million should be going to feed the starving mother and child, not into private bank accounts or to fund arms. The aid should be appropriated correctly or stopped altogether.

Also, our bailout is not a handout. We have to pay back that money with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lightspeed wrote: »
    After 20 years and things are just as corrupt as ever. I dont understand it, we take in refugees to this country from places like Uganda, foot the bill for housing and welfare, and then we also give millions of euro to the Ugandan government as well?

Is there a chart of places that are judged to be "like" each other, so I can see how this horrendous abuse takes place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just seen on Rte that Eamon Gilmore will not tolerate any misappropriation of revenue from the Irish payer ( Like we never heard that before :(),

We give €32 million to Uganda alone and according to Rte theres a lot of speculation that a lot of goes on military equipment ( AK47s and Izuzu trucks and the like).

Apparently, we have been given them aid for the past 20 years.

Why?

Labour's way or Uganda's way............ yeah I heard that one before.

Charity begins at home.
    Ps. thanks for the AK47's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Has GOAL's John O'Shea not been raising this issue for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Hopefully the exposing of this con will wake the rest of the nation up and stop people giving money to these third world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Most of the money donated to foreign countries is spent within the host country. I can't speak for the money in this case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

€32m.... What a waste, sure we could have bought around 15 e-voting machines for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Considering we, as a nation, don't have a pot to piss in:

Why are we giving any other country aid?

Maybe I'll be lambasted for saying this but we need to get our own backyard in order before even contemplating helping any other nation.

€32 million yet they are cutting anything and everything?

Sense? I don't think so...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Chinasea wrote: »

That we have to pay back, while also borrowing (and paying interest on) any overseas aid we send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Callan57 wrote: »
    Has GOAL's John O'Shea not been raising this issue for years?
    He has but Fergie got sick of hearing it and sold him to Sunderland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

That we have to pay back, while also borrowing (and paying interest on) any overseas aid we send.

we know that. BUT, but if they didn't where'd we get the money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The move comes after a draft report by the Auditor General of Uganda found that €12m worth of aid from Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark had been transferred to unauthorised accounts in the office of Ugandan Prime Minister Patrick Amama Mbabazi.

And again the Irish citizen/taxpayer gets screwed. How many times can you screw the taxpayer ? just waiting for some other bomb-shell news report soon on the squandering of taxpayers money.

In 24 hours it will all be forgotten again by the Irish people and government and this is why we need to get fluoride out of the water supply...it's making the Irish people stupid and forgettable. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Complete madness - what are we doing giving money to a country with a military spend of hundreds of millions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Uganda should be sending us aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

How much do we give the the rest of Africa Country by Country I'd like to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

the anglican church has the place ****ed

If I thought for a second that aid helped I'd be fine with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dan dan

I remember reading somewhere that we donate 700 Millions to others. It was 900 millions but we cut it. we are bold boys. This money is begged from the world banks at enormous interest.
    We are doing this for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Nodin wrote: »
    Is there a chart of places that are judged to be "like" each other, so I can see how this horrendous abuse takes place?

Well ill try and find what research i can to see the total annual aid budget but just a quick google on the issue, i came across this article in which it mentions that we have given €30 million to Somalia over the past 5 years.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-to-provide-e3-million-in-vital-aid-to-somalia-537025-Jul2012/

Is there a possibility that Eamonn got scammed by the same Nigerian prime minister that emails me needing a bank account to rest his lottery winnings?

All joking aside, why are these corrupt governments being entertained for so long?

20 years of irish money along with plenty of other countries what actual difference has been made?
    The refugees are refigees due to famine, war and corruption. I always questioned what the benefit is in taking in small amounts of the population in countries like Uganda and Nigeria and importing them here but i assumed it was because there had been war and such in the past in these countries and they are now working to improve things, but this is just bollax and nonsense.

There is no end in sight, so we just have to go with the assumption that until all developed countries are like third world countries, we will keep donating Irish money as irish citizens continue to struggle.

The corrupt people and the dictators in these countries were just replaced with more dictators. I recall reading that according to the BBC, most of the money raised in the last live aid was spent on guns and munitions. I remember Bob Geldof disputed it but the BBC said they stood by their findings. Ill try and find that article if anybody is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

dan dan wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that we donate 700 Millions to others. It was 900 millions but we cut it. we are bold boys. This money is begged from the world banks at enormous interest.
    We are doing this for generations.

It's time it all stopped. When this country is financially stable once again, if ever, then donate some monies but donating money now with situations like this happening is just insane. This country is in a real mess and we send hundreds of millions out of this country, crazy. Some things just don't make sense.

They say the auditor is trying to get the money back from the prime minister of Uganda LOL yeah right, they will never get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The refugees are refigees due to famine, war and corruption. I always questioned what the benefit is in taking in small amounts of the population in countries like Uganda and Nigeria and importing them here but i assumed it was because there had been war and such in the past in these countries and they are now working to improve things, but this is just bollax and nonsense.

They're taken in so they can have something resembling a normal life. We do so as we signed an addition to the Geneva convention way back in the 1950's and its part of our international obligation.

Advertisement