Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€4 million to Uganda?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

spambot is gone. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Population of Ethiopia in the mid 80s, when Bob Geldof was collecting for them...30 million

Their present population ...90 million.

Their having a laugh
    Give them nothing

I agree......................... and oul bob needs to keep an eye on what his oul daughter is up to....................... oul both chambers are in action i believe....................wait until liam neeson unleashes the 12 incher on her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Show Time wrote: »
    So are you accusing me of being a racist???

Be careful now where you go with this one.

Ooooo, threats.

Your statement is certainly xenophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Could this money not have been shared among SVDP or other such home charities

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I wonder if boards.de has similar threads where irate Germans complain that a basket case island on the arse end of Europe keeps getting funded by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

zenno wrote: »
    This AID money is not going to the poorest in these countries, looks like the they are trying to fix this mess.

Justine Greening has called for a major shake-up in the EU aid budget – as it emerged more than half the cash is squandered on relatively rich countries.

The International Development Secretary challenged the basis of the £10billion-a-year budget, which channels cash to countries such as Turkey, Iceland and Brazil.

She is pressing for a major shift in policy to target resources at the poorest countries.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2218107/Stop-sending-aid-money-rich-countries-Cabinet-minister-Justine-Greening-tells-European-Union.html

Is Ireland not one of the poorer countries now?? with the rogues and scoundrels we have in lienster house no wonder

telecaster wrote: »
    I wonder if boards.de has similar threads where irate Germans complain that a basket case island on the arse end of Europe keeps getting funded by them.

'they come over here, drink our beer, eat strange battered foods and puke on our streets...and we're still paying for them and their spud fueled lifestyle over there'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Our money shouldn't be going to any country that treats gays in the manner Uganda does..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Member of the Commonweath, lets the members sort them out

If they are looking for aid from Europe the old colonial powers can look into it

Did Ireland take their resources, sell them weapons or install leaders. :confused:

All they ever got was missionaries, we owe them nothing but the Brits might

charlemont wrote: »
    Our money shouldn't be going to any country that treats gays in the manner Uganda does..

Maybe the money is being spent on campaigns to destigmatize homosexuality and to educate on how sexuality can be manifested in many healthy ways?

Funding a developing country is not an endorsement of its current situation, political ethos, society, media or religion.

• Advertisement

Population of Ethiopia in the mid 80s, when Bob Geldof was collecting for them...30 million

Their present population ...90 million.

Their having a laugh
    Give them nothing

Maybe less of them are starving to death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

telecaster wrote: »
    Maybe the money is being spent on campaigns to destigmatize homosexuality and to educate on how sexuality can be manifested in many healthy ways?

Funding a developing country is not an endorsement of its current situation, political ethos, society, media or religion.

Like the aid Uganda received from Evangelical nut jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

barney4001 wrote: »
    Is Ireland not one of the poorer countries now?? with the rogues and scoundrels we have in lienster house no wonder

Wrong. Ireland is in the top 20 richest countries in the world, by income.

Estimates of Irish GDP per capita is Intl.$ 38,532-41,543 (2010-2011)

For Uganda it is Intl.$ 1,300-1,385 (2010-2011).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No it's ok!!.

It was put into the Prince of Ugandas account. He'll clear this up!

I got an e-mail off him last week looking for my bank account details saying he need to transfer €4,000,000.00 to my account as a temporary measure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Itwasntme. wrote: »
    I only skimmed through the posts so forgive me if I am repeating anything that's already been said.

The government of Uganda is very corrupt, that much is true, so that 4 million euro may very well have been channelled into the private coffers of a select elite but we don't have all the facts.

What bothers me about the OP is that it paints Ireland as a victim. Please take the time to research Ireland's foreign policy with regards to the African countries (the recent Ireland-Africa strategy would be a good place to start) with which it has bilateral relations. The Irish government may have originally been in this for 'altruistic' reasons but I doubt very much that that is the case anymore. It's not as simple as the Irish government being oh-so-benevolent at the expense of the Irish tax payer. And while you're there, you may as well look into what some of the Irish companies like Tullow oil are doing in those countries and how Ireland benefits from maintaining the status quo.

By all means please educate me as to how irish companies investing in Africa, is benefiting the irish tax payer when we are spending millions housing refugees and then donating millions at the same time.

What has the return on investment been like for the irish taxpayer under the current system?

For some odd and illogical reason you seem to doubt the stupidity of our government?

The new crowd seem exactly the same as the last so i feel your faith may well be misplaced.

All i see is business as usual. Corruption by the corrupt elite at the cost of the irish taxpayer.

I cant imagine why anybody in Ireland would take issue with bailing out our banks and yet take no issue that we bail out and facilitate corrupt dictatorships across the developing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

vicwatson wrote: »

I got an e-mail off him last week looking for my bank account details saying he need to transfer €4,000,000.00 to my account as a temporary measure.....
    Take it
    What's the worst that can happen :P

Nodin wrote: »
    You'll find that handing over money to fix complex problems will not result in an instant fix.

Generally speaking, money goes to projects in those countries, not the state.

Sorry, Instant fix me hole
    We have been giving money to Uganda alone for the past 20 years. It really is quite funny that when people look at the Austerity programme in Ireland and Greece for example,the idea is well they have to just balance the books and pay the money they owe back. If they don't, no one is going to loan them anymore money. I accept that this is a logical argument to make. However, in the case of Africa, these countries are simply just given money with the country footing the bill fully aware that not only is it a donation and not a loan but that the corruption within these countries is widespread.

On that note, does anybody know how much money Germany gives in charitable donations (Not loans like we got).

So after 20 years, educate me as to the difference it has made?
    Do they now require less aid than 20 years ago? Are they more sustainable?
    Is their less conflict and more tolerance towards each others religions and beliefs?
    Is there a better education system with less corrupt police, politicians and officials?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

charlemont wrote: »

I'm not really sure if I agree with that. Scott Long has made a very good argument against it

http://paper-bird.net/2012/06/26/resources-for-the-unbelievers-on-aid-conditionality-and-lgbt-rights/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

lightspeed wrote: »
    Sorry, Instant fix me hole
    We have been giving money to Uganda alone for the past 20 years. It really is quite funny that when people look at the Austerity programme in Ireland and Greece for example,the idea is well they have to just balance the books and pay the money they owe back. If they don't, no one is going to loan them anymore money. I accept that this is a logical argument to make. However, in the case of Africa, these countries are simply just given money with the country footing the bill fully aware that not only is it a donation and not a loan but that the corruption within these countries is widespread.

Sweeping generalisations, oversimplifications.....How long did it take to sort out the land problem alone here?
    On that note, does anybody know how much money Germany gives in charitable donations (Not loans like we got)..

Has your google broke?

By all means please educate me as to how irish companies investing in Africa, is benefiting the irish tax payer when we are spending millions housing refugees and then donating millions at the same time.

It's not an either/or equation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hootanany wrote: »
    How much do we pay in foreign aid and why?

Bump

http://www.thelocal.de/politics/20120625-43361.html

Anybody interested in how much is actually been given by Eu countries to Africa should realy have a read of the above.

If you scroll to the end you will see the following
    "The report praises countries like Ireland, which despite serious economic woes, is committed to meeting its foreign aid pledges.".

Its interesting that Germany although they are given a sizable amount, have only actually donated around havlf of what they were supposed to donate in foreign aid.

If the german tax payer is sick of giving loans of money to Ireland and Spain,I wonder how they feel about our generous nature when it comes to foreign aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Stop it right now

Nodin wrote: »
    Sweeping generalisations, oversimplifications.....How long did it take to sort out the land problem alone

So i take it that means that the correct answer is too inconvenient for you to acknowledge.

Are things better or worse?
    If you are going to make the argument that the biilions that has already been pumped into many of these African countries has made things better, please provide examples and evidence to back up your claim.
    How long does it take to sort out the corruption problem?

We have been giving money to Uganda and other corrupt governments for over 20 years and things are still corrupt. I reckon most Irish tax payers would be of the opinion that the deadline has passed.

Do you think we should continue to give millions of euro for another 20 years or more to African countries and cross our fingers that it will actually go to poor people while the irish people continue to suffer and struggle?

What makes you think that the above is the democratic will of the peopleof Ireland?

Why do we have a mickey mouse referndum supposedly for childrens rights in this country and yet the irish people have never been given the oppurtunity by referendum to decide if Irish tax payers money should be donated overseas?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

So after 20 years, educate me as to the difference it has made?
    Do they now require less aid than 20 years ago? Are they more sustainable?
    Is their less conflict and more tolerance towards each others religions and beliefs?
    Is there a better education system with less corrupt police, politicians and officials?

I'd like to know this too. In real terms, how has the aid given to these countries actually helped it's (poorest) people and what changes have these countries made in terms of social progression, inclusion, law and order, corruption and equality.

Also, who oversees how this aid is utilised?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Take it
    What's the worst that can happen :P

Oh of course I gave him my bank account details ;)

So i take it that means that the correct answer is too inconvenient for you to acknowledge.

No, it means that your short term thinking is beset with oversimplications and generalisations......
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/0719/Africa-s-compelling-progress-toward-peace-and-prosperity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

If the german tax payer is sick of giving loans of money to Ireland and Spain,I wonder how they feel about our generous nature when it comes to foreign aid?
    They expect us to pay them back interest on the money we fritt away on overseas dictators each year.
    For every year we give €600 million to fund corruption and arms programmes in the third world, this second world country will be paying back €1200 or 1500 million by our children / grandchildren in years to come.

I agree with the poster who wrote wondering why
    "do we have a mickey mouse referndum supposedly for childrens rights in this country and yet the irish people have never been given the oppurtunity by referendum to decide if Irish tax payers money should be donated overseas? "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The entire Continent of Africa is a money black hole to the rest of the world.

Best to let them all either learn how to farm or mine the land and if the natives are to lazy or stupid to even manage that than let them all die off and repopulate the lands with folks who are willing to do some work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

our population cannot support the worlds poor anyway. We have a population of 4 million odd ( the majority of whom are old / young / unemployed /struggling with negative equity or students ) and the population of the country of Indonesia alone is over 100 million.

Advertisement