Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

deelite wrote: »
    That's a pity - could you not have another think about it - I thought the salary shown was basic and didnt show shift allowance, night work allowance (I may have this totally wrong).

The salary is the basic salary without shift allowance or sat/sun allowances. At the minute the ICV are not working shift patterns as there is not enough, with the new intake, hopefully this will change

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

antichrist wrote: »
    Just a note, send off your vetting form ASAP, there's usually a backlog of about 10-15 weeks. Make sure spelling of addresses is spot on or they'll be returned and you'll have another 10 week wait on yer hands.

All depends on the company that request Garda vetting forms. It's never taken 10-15 weeks to get one done in my experience. Had one cleared in 3 days. That included them checkin my Aus addresses too

All depends on the company that request Garda vetting forms. It's never taken 10-15 weeks to get one done in my experience. Had one cleared in 3 days. That included them checkin my Aus addresses too

Very good, but not with the NAS which is the employer in question. The average wait time advised by the vetting bureau is 8 weeks, but that has been delayed even more in the past year. Lads on the last 2 AP courses have had delays with their forms for 10-12 weeks. Currently there are staff that submitted forms for vetting in September and are still waiting for them to return.

So as advised, get them in quick and be meticulous with spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mad for road

Very good, but not with the NAS which is the employer in question. The average wait time advised by the vetting bureau is 8 weeks, but that has been delayed even more in the past year. Lads on the last 2 AP courses have had delays with their forms for 10-12 weeks. Currently there are staff that submitted forms for vetting in September and are still waiting for them to return.

So as advised, get them in quick and be meticulous with spelling

Oh I don't doubt it for a second. As I said, I can depend on the company looking for the vetting forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My experience with the Vetting dept down in thurles varies, Due to the work I did in a previous life we needed gardai vetting done which normally took about 4 weeks depending if there was a backlog.
    Last year an application was sent off on my behalf while training as an EMT it took over 5 months to get the clearance back along with a load of phone calls&letters to the vetting unit.
    A few months later I needed to get the vetting done again for a job and it was back within 4 weeks, Now a part from were I live at present I've only ever lived at two other places in Ireland them being the parents place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

Just a note, send off your vetting form ASAP, there's usually a backlog of about 10-15 weeks. Make sure spelling of addresses is spot on or they'll be returned and you'll have another 10 week wait on yer hands.

The info booklet states to bring the completed garda vetting form with you along with photo ID on the day of your interview and nothing about sending it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Yeah guys the interview pack states that we fill it out, give the completed form to them and they are responsible for checking it BEFORE sending it to An Garda Siochana...

djor88 wrote: »
    Yeah guys the interview pack states that we fill it out, give the completed form to them and they are responsible for checking it BEFORE sending it to An Garda Siochana...

Well if we're posting it in then no worries for ye. Just make sure spelling of addresses is correct. NAS won't be checking that aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My pack arrived unannounced this morning. Sigh of relief could probably be heard for miles. Now come the nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Buddy of mine got the position through CPL...starts 14 week ECT training in phoenix park the end of this month! Also has the panel interview later this month as well.

• Advertisement

Anyone have any notion of when the HSE will fill the positions from the panel? Just wondering with all the cuts to the HSE budget etc, when they will use the panel... Also I wonder how many they'll take on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Ive heard from a reliable source within control that it will take about 3 months to train us and that the tender for the fit out of the control centre in Tallaght is about to be finished. Meaning that they are about to start fitting the building out within the next few weeks. I was also told that there is roughly 100 Call Taker jobs in Tallaght but that is not a definate number, it could be higher. Seen the building in question recently and its easy to commute to :-)

Cheers for the info Tripp! That'd be alot to take on alright, hopefully they'll take on a good number of us! Where in Tallaght is it? I'm only living down the road

Cheers for the info Tripp! That'd be alot to take on alright, hopefully they'll take on a good number of us! Where in Tallaght is it? I'm only living down the road

Belgard square

Einstein wrote: »
    Buddy of mine got the position through CPL...starts 14 week ECT training in phoenix park the end of this month! Also has the panel interview later this month as well.

He got the job through an agency. .......hasn't sat interview yet but knows when he's starting his training? you sure about that?

Random Question, are the call takers uniformed?

Currently NAS control room staff are. Agency staff are not. I know dispatchers will be uniformed so im guessing call takers may be too.

Wouldn't be worried about that at thid stage though. Only staff that need uniforms are front line staff

Ah yeah I was just wondering, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

He got the job through an agency. .......hasn't sat interview yet but knows when he's starting his training? you sure about that?
    Yep. Interviewed by member of NAS. Will be in as contractor. If he makes the panel, will simply be transferred apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Currently NAS control room staff are. Agency staff are not. I know dispatchers will be uniformed so im guessing call takers may be too.

Wouldn't be worried about that at thid stage though. Only staff that need uniforms are front line staff

Current agency call takers in Dublin are all wearing NAS uniforms.

• Advertisement

Only staff that need uniforms are front line staff

I don't want to go off topic but can I ask you antichrist?

Why do you feel that only frontline staff require uniforms? and do you consider Ambulance Control staff as frontline?

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I don't want to go off topic but can I ask you antichrist?

Why do you feel that only frontline staff require uniforms? and do you consider Ambulance Control staff as frontline?

The term frontline is probably incorrect. When I mentioned it i was referring to frontline as staff actually dealing with the public in a physical capacity.
    Control room staff play a vital role within the ambulance service and are the first point of contact between the public and the emergency service, but, they are in a control room that may be miles away from the incident. They are not 'on the front-line' at the RTA or dealing with the generally unwell patient in the nursing home.

Yes....give them uniforms they are in the job and are our friends/colleagues...but, in days when budgets are being slashed I would rather see a uniform budget being kept for staff that may have bodily fluids etc splashed on their clothing or have items torn while attending a scene. I did say they only frontline staff 'needed' uniforms.

I was more taken back by the poster wondering if he/she will have a nice uniform to wear as opposed to getting through the interview, maybe i took them up wrong.

Current agency call takers in Dublin are all wearing NAS uniforms.

In the West they are agency and do not

The term frontline is probably incorrect. When I mentioned it i was referring to frontline as staff actually dealing with the public in a physical capacity.
    Control room staff play a vital role within the ambulance service and are the first point of contact between the public and the emergency service, but, they are in a control room that may be miles away from the incident. They are not 'on the front-line' at the RTA or dealing with the generally unwell patient in the nursing home.

Yes....give them uniforms they are in the job and are our friends/colleagues...but, in days when budgets are being slashed I would rather see a uniform budget being kept for staff that may have bodily fluids etc splashed on their clothing or have items torn while attending a scene. I did say they only frontline staff 'needed' uniforms.

I was more taken back by the poster wondering if he/she will have a nice uniform to wear as opposed to getting through the interview, maybe i took them up wrong.

Fair point on the patient contact, but remember MIMMS allows for Ambulance Control staff to respond to Major Incidents so it is important that firstly they are recognised when they arrive at scene and secondly they are recognised as to their specific role/title.

I do take your point on the budget constraints and quality of uniform/PPE being allocated to those who will have direct contact with patients.
    The gardening gloves and 'safety' glasses are a joke, and as for the fleece hi-vis that has replaced the light hi-vis jacket, I can't wait to see how they fair out come the Summer:rolleyes:

But they're for another thread, sorry for going off topic.

Thanks for your reply antichrist.

Cheers, no as I said I was just wondering if they wore uniforms in HSE Control Centres, I've only experience of Fire Brigade where everyone is uniformed. Just a random question, not wondering if i'll have a nice uniform to wear

Fair point on the patient contact, but remember MIMMS allows for Ambulance Control staff to respond to Major Incidents so it is important that firstly they are recognised when they arrive at scene and secondly they are recognised as to their specific role/title.

A cheaper alternative for a MIMMS scenario

Incident-Controller.jpg

Anyway........glad i could answer your query!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rigmedic

Just received a call from a friend that did an interview with CPL last Thursday. He was told today that he had not been successful.

Strange thing is, last Friday CPL sent him a form from the HSE asking him to complete a Ambulance uniform size.

Maybe he jumped the gun but he guessed that must be a good sign.

A cheaper alternative for a MIMMS scenario

Incident-Controller.jpg

Anyway........glad i could answer your query!

Bibs are used anyway, for certain roles only.
    So we'll dress the Controllers up in track suits and bibs?:D

Bibs are used anyway, for certain roles only.
    So we'll dress the Controllers up in track suits and bibs?:D

Well yer based in the east so I assume ye all wear PJ's when yer out

• Advertisement

Well yer based in the east so I assume ye all wear PJ's when yer out

Only the City Centre and Finglas crews :D

Advertisement