Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker & Emergency Medical Dispatcher

Options
  • 09-10-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,
    So the HSE opened up applications for the above named positions, closing date is the 15th Oct, see publicjobs.ie for more info.

Has anybody applied for these or is there anybody currently working in these areas, whats the job like ??

<CB>
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Im considering apply for the job but am wondering where are they going to be based? Im from Waterford so would there be any jobs going there(around that area) or are all the jobs going to be in Donegal or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Would be 100% sure that these positions would be for the new call taking & dispatch center in Tallaght when it becomes fully operational, see quote from the application:

Applicants who are successful in this campaign may be initially assigned to one of the 3 NAS Divisions as
    outlined above, however, please note it is strongly anticipated in line with ongoing changes within the
    Ambulance Structure that there will be a requirement that all post holders arising from this recruitment
    campaign will eventually be based in the National Ambulance Service Control Centres in either
    Ballyshannon, Co Donegal or Tallaght, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

medic112 wrote: »
    Would be 100% sure that these positions would be for the new call taking & dispatch center in Tallaght when it becomes fully operational, see quote from the application:

Applicants who are successful in this campaign may be initially assigned to one of the 3 NAS Divisions as
    outlined above, however, please note it is strongly anticipated in line with ongoing changes within the
    Ambulance Structure that there will be a requirement that all post holders arising from this recruitment
    campaign will eventually be based in the National Ambulance Service Control Centres in either
    Ballyshannon, Co Donegal or Tallaght, Dublin.

Thanks for the reply,

Pity I really would of been interested if the job had been a bit closer, just dont fancy relocating!! oh well:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hi lads, just wondering what the major differences are between Emergency Call Taker and Emergency Medical Dispatcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

djor88 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just wondering what the major differences are between Emergency Call Taker and Emergency Medical Dispatcher?

Call Takers take the call rang in by the Public, Doctors, Fire Control etc and you process it etc.
    The Dispatcher takes the address the Call Taker has put in and mobilizes the nearest Ambulance/First Responder and communicates with the crews etc.

Then at times the job is mixed up and you could be doing one one day and the other the next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

sounds like a tough job!

Medic475, thanks, that's what I thought it was alright, cheers! I've sent my initial application! It would be a very interesting and demanding job!

Medic475, thanks, that's what I thought it was alright, cheers! I've sent my initial application! It would be a very interesting and demanding job!

Well that and a bit more, ha! Think thats the jist of it though! Best of luck! :)

Fair play, thanks! Have you gone for it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

sounds like a tough job!

Mentally though I'd say, it'll be easy enough except trying to get addresses of foreigners, listening to some crazy bint saying she overdosed, listening to some stupid townie who wants an ambulance to st James Hospital while they're in the car park etc.

• Advertisement

Fair play, thanks! Have you gone for it yourself?

Pm'd!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Medic475 wrote: »
    Pm'd!

What's the PM about wouldnt mind getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

Just applied seems like a great opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Applied myself too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have to say though starting wage is rubbish, that said i can carry over service if i got it so not too bad for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Call Takers take the call rang in by the Public, Doctors, Fire Control etc and you process it etc.
    The Dispatcher takes the address the Call Taker has put in and mobilizes the nearest Ambulance/First Responder and communicates with the crews etc.

Then at times the job is mixed up and you could be doing one one day and the other the next.

Why do you need C! and D1 licence for the dispatcher position?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Why do you need C! and D1 licence for the dispatcher position?
    This is because you need to drive the mobile control units I would say

I wonder how many applicants will go for this, and how many positions are available? Anybody have any idea of how many the HSE are looking to take on?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

E-Mails in..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nikkyf

Hi

Anyone know where you cam practice the online typing assessment ? Or has anyone any tips ??

NikkyF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 drill

I wonder how many applicants will go for this, and how many positions are available? Anybody have any idea of how many the HSE are looking to take on?

AFAIK They are looking for 60+staff for Tallaght and 20+ for Ballyshannon, both in call taker and Dispatcher with relief etc

nikkyf wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone know where you cam practice the online typing assessment ? Or has anyone any tips ??

NikkyF

There are loads of websites that do online typing tests if you want to try that. You could try writing down what they're getting you to type and getting someone to read it so you have the 'audio'

Thanks , But im not sure what they want us to type yet . Hopefully getting the email today .

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EMTFlynn

Nobody will know what they want us to type :rolleyes:

Once you log in, you can't log back out and do it later.

If you get the job, you're not going to know what the public are going to call
    In with, cardaic, stroke etc.

nikkyf wrote: »
    Thanks , But im not sure what they want us to type yet . Hopefully getting the email today .

What I'm saying is - you want to practise what will come up so go onto a typing test website and get someone to read out what you've to type for the typing test it's the only way you can really simulate what you'd be doing in this situation. The test is audio and typing - you're getting info and they want to test your speed and accuracy.

You can only do the test once, so other than that you won't get to practice.

Sorry i misunderstood ,Thanks will try that .

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

still havent recieved the email yet for stage 2 today. anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

still havent recieved the email yet for stage 2 today. anyone else?
    just got it at 14.00 maybe check now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I got it, about 12 times. Doubt it means I have 12 goes at it though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Got it and done it got as far as "Women who...." anyone better that?

Kinda annoying it doesnt give you your score or typing speed at the end though :(

Advertisement