Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Defence must be feeling desperate

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Bristolian wrote: »
    The process for introducing abortion is the same here as in every other country that has introduced abortion through the back door 1. Find an emotional case 2. Hype it up to the last 3. Introduce limited abortion 4. Open the floodgates.

The following quote is from Norma Mc Corvey the famous "Jane Roe" who brought a case which eventually legalised abortion in the U.S.A.:
    "I had to face up to the awful reality. Abortion wasn't about 'products of conception'. It wasn't about 'missed periods'. It was about children being killed in their mother's wombs. All those years I was wrong. Signing that affidavit, I was wrong. Working in an abortion clinic, I was wrong. No more of this first trimester, second trimester, third trimester stuff. Abortion — at any point — was wrong. It was so clear. Painfully clear"

So it was painfully clear after a while to the woman who opened the floodgates. She regretted her actions and eventually became a Roman Catholic. In 2005 she petitioned the high court to overturn the 1973 ruling in the light of all the evidence that has come to light about the harm the procedure does to women. But of course the petition was denied.

We were a shining light to the world in our care for life. Today we have regressed and stepped back into the dark ages of barbarism and cruelty were killing people is put forward as a solution to our problems.

By the way I don't agree with many Youth Defence tactics such as displaying pictures of mangled babies. That shows a lack of respect for life too.

Claptrap. Care for life includes caring for the wishes of living, feeling sentient women. What's painfully clear is that Norma's experience is her own, and she does not speak for every woman who might wish to terminate a pregnancy. She regrets her abortion, that's sad, but there are thousands, nay, millions of women who do not. Should women be denied basic reproductive healthcare because some women regret the CHOICE they made?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Morag wrote: »
    The sooner there is a move to repeal the 8th the better.

Maybe in another 20 years :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Sarky wrote: »
    Is there anything duct tape can't do?
    Sarky wrote: »
    Hey, some people like feeling dirty...

Bloody Mary, I gotta draw the line somewhere..........

Desperate much???!

http://www.krank.ie/category/snippet/the-great-youth-defence-edit-war/

"Truthbeo has also received a number of warnings and bans for their activity:

“Please do not add commentary or your own personal analysis to Wikipedia articles, as you did to Youth Defence. Doing so violates Wikipedia’s neutral point of view policy and breaches the formal tone expected in an encyclopedia. Thank you.”

“You appear to be engaged in an edit war with one or more editors according to your reverts at Youth Defence…on Wikipedia this is usually seen as obstructing the normal editing process”

“Please stop your disruptive editing. If you continue to blank out or remove portions of page content, templates or other materials from Wikipedia, as you did at Youth Defence, you may be blocked from editing. Thank you.”

“You may be blocked again, perhaps permanently, if you persist in your behaviour.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"Truthbeo"
    The irony of that name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

and so it begins.....

That will be my voice they hear, shouting "Wooohooooo!"
    Life Institute: 'We will make sure every Irish person understands that Fine Gael is now the abortion party'
    The Life Institute has warned Fine Gael that if it moves to legalise abortion it will pay a price in the court of public opinion for breaking the pro-life promise it made in Election 2011.

Spokeswoman Niamh Ui Bhriain said that Enda Kenny had no mandate to legalise abortion, as evidenced by the findings of a recent opinion poll which showed that two thirds of people wanted the risk of suicide excluded as grounds for an abortion.

"The people understand that if the threat of suicide is included in any legislation it will introduce, for the first time, the direct and intentional killing of unborn children into Irish law."

"Fine Gael know that the tragic death of Savita Halappanavar had nothing to do with Ireland's ban on abortion. Yet they are seizing this opportunity caused by public confusion to stream-roller the country into accepting abortion legislation," she said

She warned Enda Kenny that if he imagined that he could push ahead with abortion legislation and that the controversy would all 'blow over', he was sorely mistaken.

"Fine Gael gave a commitment not to legalise abortion in Election 2011. If they break that promise then the pro-life movement will make every person in Ireland aware of what every Fine Gael TD did in relation to abortion."

"In that case, we would make sure that every Irish person knows that a vote for Fine Gael is now a vote for abortion," said Ms Uí Bhriain.

The Life Institute spokeswoman said that pro-life voters had other options, and that there would be a massive undertaking to inform and mobilise public opinion against Fine Gael if the party broke its pro-life promise.

"This will not blow over, despite what Enda Kenny might think. This issue is the human rights issue of our time, and the lives of mothers and babies cannot be sacrificed to political opportunism," she said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Jesus, what a miserable old bag.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I tried to look - but the tone of many of the comments was making me feel ill and vomiting just after eating chowder is...not pleasant.

Oh, the first dozen comments were grand, sensible, well-written and the like. Then a bunch of loonies came along and spammed a load of emotional ill-informed and badly-spelled claptrap.

There's a small window on these things for good comments. As soon as the pro-lifers get wind of it though it just goes downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's pretty hilarious that they think Fine Gael, of all parties, could be considered the "abortion party".

I don't understand their anger about this though. Fair enough, if they think this will lead to abortion on demand but how could they not want this legislation? Do they just want women to die if something goes wrong? It really doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

"recent opinion poll which showed that two thirds of people wanted the risk of suicide excluded as grounds for an abortion"

What opinion poll? No-one asked me what my opinion was. Was this, by any chance, the kind of opinion poll that is asked, say, at YD meetings, or on the YD website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

kylith wrote: »
    "recent opinion poll which showed that two thirds of people wanted the risk of suicide excluded as grounds for an abortion"

What opinion poll? No-one asked me what my opinion was. Was this, by any chance, the kind of opinion poll that is asked, say, at YD meetings, or on the YD website?

You'd also think that referendums would be more accurate on what the electorate supports. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You'd also think that referendums would be more accurate on what the electorate supports. :confused:
    They will be as soon as the electorate understands what referendums are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

robindch wrote: »
    They will be as soon as the electorate understands what referendums are.

The government aren't great at understanding them either.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

They reckon that leaflet campaign has reached 1.4 million homes and apparently the response is "HUGE!". No actual figures though. Then again I dont trust the skewed figures they qoute.

I love how their facebook page is full of angry Americans. Obviously cant find enough support on home soil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

They reckon that leaflet campaign has reached 1.4 million homes and apparently the response is "HUGE!". No actual figures though. Then again I dont trust the skewed figures they qoute.

I love how their facebook page is full of angry Americans. Obviously cant find enough support on home soil.

1.4 million homes eh - don't tell Phil Hogan or he will be looking for their mailing list to chase up the HHC non-payers.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No leaflet for me. First the Jehovahs leave town, now this. I feel so shunned :(

It's funny how the fiercely Catholic Life Institute can call Ireland's stance on abortion "the human rights issue of our time" while the Pope is busy blessing the 'Kill The Gays' bill in Uganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My brain read that as 'Catholic Lowlife Institute'

Bad brain.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    My brain read that as 'Catholic Lowlife Institute'

Bad brain.

Not your fault -Satan put those evil thoughts in your brain. Nothing to do with you - you are the victim here.

:pac:

Looks like YD are breaking more rules. It's litter laws this time.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/snippet/those-foetuses-in-santa-hats/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My mother said that earlier today, the phone rang and she picked it up to hear a recorded message saying that Savita didn't die due to not having an abortion, but instead died due to septicaemia, and the Government were trying to cover it up (my mother was pretty scarce on details as she didn't initially realise it was recorded and kept trying to interrupt them.

She tried to call the number back but it wouldn't ring (presumably due to it being automated.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

• Advertisement

Oh crap. No, not heard of that one yet. Has she still got the number?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And they aren't exploiting the case...right?

Obliq wrote: »
    Oh crap. No, not heard of that one yet. Has she still got the number?

It's a dead line. Did a google search after posting the above and found this:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/automated-calls-regarding-abortion-resume-reports-685828-Nov2012/
    Image: spinetta via Creative Commons/Flickr
    EARLIER TODAY THE Data Protection Commissioner identified the service provider for a number which has been used to make automated calls to Irish households about the country’s laws on abortion in the past 48 hours – and the number was subsequently shut down.
    However, this evening, further reports of the pre-recorded message being circulated via unsolicited phonecalls have resumed.
    Readers of TheJournal.ie and users of social media have reported receiving the message, which says that Irish doctors do not put mothers’ lives at risk and are always obliged to intervene to save the woman’s life even if that results in the unfortunate death of an unborn child.
    The watchdog confirmed that it had received 30 complaints about the automated calls, and followed up the matter “as a matter of priority”.
    The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner has not been able to be reached for comment this evening.
    TheJournal.ie called the number quoted by those reporting the the cold-calls but reached only a dead line.

That was from a month ago, so presumably they restarted it given Enda's speeches on the subject over the past few days

Actually, I probably should have posted this in the general Abortion thread. No evidence that it's Youth Defence / Life Institute / any other organisation based at 60a Capel Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Looks like YD are breaking more rules. It's litter laws this time.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/snippet/those-foetuses-in-santa-hats/

...that really is a bizarre poster.

Penn wrote: »
    Actually, I probably should have posted this in the general Abortion thread. No evidence that it's Youth Defence / Life Institute / any other organisation based at 60a Capel Street

If from a month ago, that was the call that mention Eamon O'Dwyer by name and quoted him as saying "abortion is never necessary to save a mother's life" and other bollix, so you were quite right since he was in PLAC (very much the same family as YD).

That's why I'm wondering if the content of this call was different. The one the journal article (http://www.thejournal.ie/unsolicited-abortion-calls-684052-Nov2012/) was about is against the law, but I wonder have they got more clever (doubtful!).

http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2012/11/21/how-and-why-to-complain-about-an-unwanted-political-automatic-phone-call/

Comreg are taking it very seriously. Just follow their complaint section and phone them, if you have the time of call and phone number (they are shutting them down, and appreciate our help in getting the numbers - also, information on who answered the phone -could be a young child, woman who recently miscarried, etc)

Nodin wrote: »
    ...that really is a bizarre poster.

It's them conferring personhood on embryos again.....this one popped out to write his Santy letter and grab a Santy hat. "Deeerr Satna, I woods lik a rite too life adn a xbox game plss"

Obliq wrote: »
    It's them conferring personhood on embryos again.....this one popped out to write his Santy letter and grab a Santy hat. "Deeerr Satna, I woods lik a rite too life adn a xbox game plss"

What the F use would a newborn have for an xbox game?
    Everybody know babies are only interested in the Wii Wii.

YD apparently think 'babies' emerge from the womb able to write (but not spell) , talk, walk, feed themselves and play with consoles :...in which case the lazy sods should get a job and buy their own damn xbox game.

YD apparently think 'babies' emerge from the womb able to write (but not spell) , talk, walk, feed themselves and play with consoles :...in which case the lazy sods should get a job and buy their own damn xbox game.

:D:D:D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Especially the boys!

Advertisement