Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Defence must be feeling desperate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Penn wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much money they pay to be sponsored on Facebook? It seems like every time I go on Facebook it's a toss-up whether there's an ad for them or Heineken on the side

They sending a huge amount atm, did you hear about the ads on the back of toilet doors in pubs in cork?

Most of the money is coming from the USA to keep Ireland abortion free.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sarky wrote: »

Would it not be easier for them to take a photo of one of their members so this kind of stuff doesn't come back and bite them in the ass?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Galvasean wrote: »
    Would it not be easier for them to take a photo of one of their members so this kind of stuff doesn't come back and bite them in the ass?

Probably afraid we'd point out that the member in question actually lives in Biblebash, Missouri. :p

Shatter blasts 'obscene' and 'cowardly' anti-abortion posters:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-abortion-posters-dublin-south-712382-Dec2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Shatter blasts 'obscene' and 'cowardly' anti-abortion posters:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/alan-shatter-abortion-posters-dublin-south-712382-Dec2012/

How is this relevant to Youth Defence? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Probably because the posters have no identifying organisation on them but it wouldn't be the biggest league to suggest YD may be responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Because they can't get anyone under 60, thus turning off undecided voters? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Probably because the posters have no identifying organisation on them but it wouldn't be the biggest league to suggest YD may be responsible.

Or another entirely separate organisation... operating out of the same address :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    *checked what FB thinks I'm interested in* = clinical waste management, Michael Buble and nursing in Bagdad...:confused:

It's all down to big business. That clinical waste managment can cost you an arm and a leg these days.

I'll get me coat...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Regina Filange

Has anyone else got the leaflet in the door yet? Apparently Enda Kenny is "opening the door" to abortion on demand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not yet (the joys of a semi-gated lane, and living on a big hill), but if I've the time this weekend I'll be making a few spoofs of my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Has anyone else got the leaflet in the door yet? Apparently Enda Kenny is "opening the door" to abortion on demand!

I haven't, but I want to find one of the billboards and spraypaint "GOOD!" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I got one yesterday. I was gonna take a pic but OH had already ripped it up! Do YD people actually deliver them?
    I only wish I had been there when it came through the door! I would have been straight out to whoever it was telling them to keep their lie filled propaganda to themselves.
    Then I would have torn it up infront of their face for added malice :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got one yesterday. I was gonna take a pic but OH had already ripped it up! Do YD people actually deliver them?
    I only wish I had been there when it came through the door! I would have been straight out to whoever it was telling them to keep their lie filled propaganda to themselves.

Better off to invite them in for tea and keep them chatting so they can't deliver the full quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My house got one this morning, I was glad to see that my mother threw it onto the paper recycling pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

They get sent out to parish teams who deliver them in person.
    Mostly out this way it's the legion of Mary that do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1218/1224327960405.html

Watchdog: Anti-abortion organisation the Life Institute is being investigated by the State’s ethics watchdog over a potential breach of regulations regarding lobby groups.

The Life Institute, along with its affiliated organisation Youth Defence, is distributing anti-abortion leaflets to 1.4 million homes. It is also taking out advertisements in 25 newspapers targeting Fine Gael TDs.

The leaflets have the numbers of local Fine Gael TDs on them and supporters have been urged to call Fine Gael TDs and then notify the institute so an accurate log of calls can be made.

However, the institute is not registered as a third party with the Standards in Public Office Commission (Sipo), which regulates organisations that are raising funds for political lobbying.

Last week on its website, the Life Institute sought out donations to fund a political campaign against abortion, as did Youth Defence.

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ That's got to take some serious level of funding. Almost obviously, the cash is coming from the USA, but how much? And what oversight is there?

Good to see the ethics watchdog taking an interest.

Obliq wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1218/1224327960405.html

Watchdog: Anti-abortion organisation the Life Institute is being investigated by the State’s ethics watchdog over a potential breach of regulations regarding lobby groups.

The Life Institute, along with its affiliated organisation Youth Defence, is distributing anti-abortion leaflets to 1.4 million homes. It is also taking out advertisements in 25 newspapers targeting Fine Gael TDs.

The leaflets have the numbers of local Fine Gael TDs on them and supporters have been urged to call Fine Gael TDs and then notify the institute so an accurate log of calls can be made.

However, the institute is not registered as a third party with the Standards in Public Office Commission (Sipo), which regulates organisations that are raising funds for political lobbying.

Last week on its website, the Life Institute sought out donations to fund a political campaign against abortion, as did Youth Defence.

:D:D:D

This is tremendous news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

The ironing is delicious. They proclaim an ethical and moral high ground yet use unethical methods to promote said high ground.

• Advertisement

Bobby42 wrote: »
    The ironing is delicious. They proclaim an ethical and moral high ground yet use unethical methods to promote said high ground.

Yes but they are in favour of LIFE and TINY BAAAAAAABIEEEEEES so pesky things like man made laws don't apply to them. They answer to, to use Breda O'Brien's phrase, a HIGHER COURT.

Who needs ethics when you have stone cold cash?

ctually re: their funding, are they under any obligation to publish figures as to where their funding comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

For crying out loud the emotional clap trap on their facebook site is just vomit inducing. How do they get away with being so over the top? A scan photo with a christmas hat on the fetus?

When any organisation spews such overly emotional nonsense they immediately lose all credibility. How are people still supporting them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

When any organisation spews such overly emotional nonsense they immediately lose all credibility. How are people still supporting them?
    Perhaps they're paid to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Perhaps they're paid to.

Oh you ol skeptic you. ;)

robindch wrote: »
    Perhaps they're paid to.

They probably have some money saved after they used that artist's fetus photographs without his permission/paying him.
    I remember reading here a while back that someone mailed him about it and he said he would contact his legal representives. I wonder how it all panned out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Because some people just aren't very bright. The facebook friends I have who are fans of Youth Defence are not exactly deep thinking academic types, to say the least.

Because some people just aren't very bright. The facebook friends I have who are fans of Youth Defence are not exactly deep thinking academic types, to say the least.

I'd say it is also the way the ads are portrayed. A thing saying, "Click like if you think everyone has the right to life" appears in the corner of the news feed. The careless/unthinking (serial likers) would no doubt click without a moment's hesitation.

Newsfeed:
    "Friend X likes Youth Defense, Cheese on Toast, Father Ted and 36 other things."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For crying out loud the emotional clap trap on their facebook site is just vomit inducing. How do they get away with being so over the top? A scan photo with a christmas hat on the fetus?

You get more meat off a turkey although a fetus side-plate can add a nice complement of taste and succulence to the turkey meat which can be quite dry and bland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Stark wrote: »
    You get more meat off a turkey although a fetus side-plate can add a nice complement of taste and succulence to the turkey meat which can be quite dry and bland.

Is there a particular sauce you do to accompany that?
    I'm all about the sauces me.

Advertisement