Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Profiler wrote: »
    It's not even an original approach and Ken is far to obvious for it to be a good copy of that approach.

There are a lot of people on here who appear to think

Ken criticising Rodgers or any other manager = OK
    People criticising Ken = Not acceptable

This is an off the ball thread not a Ken love in.

I also couldn't care less if you dislike Ken or not, it's your interpretation of his reaction to that Brendan Rodgers interview that I was disagreeing with. Whether you like a particular presenters style or not is just a matter of taste. There is no right or wrong answer, but your attitude is I don't like him...I'm right and everyone who does like him is wrong or as you put it - a "Ken fan boy". As with all these things, it's just a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Anybody find Kenny Cunningham annoying on commentary during the weekend soccer coverage? I don't get his persistent use of the word 'fuhball', for eg, Liverpool fuhball club, the fuhball pitch, good fuhball player etc. It makes him come across as a total knob.

Very dogmatic, but he's good at taking the piss out of Early, so he can't be all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Criticizing Ken because he's not saying enough positive stuff about your team just makes you look like a biased "my team can do no wrong" fan.
    Point out what ken said that's wrong and you have a point. But not being positive enough? :D
    Especially about a team thats having a disaster of a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

The Sadlier bit was hilarious tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Well I guess we know Murph reads Boards.ie now.

Also whoever texted in about the Tom Dunne-Mass interference well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

did the signal fade out and get real jumpy on any one else bout 7:45 tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Well I guess we know Murph reads Boards.ie now.

What did the sexy b*stard say?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nice and fiesty between Ken and Hunter tonight over Ramos!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sick of Hunter at this stage,just comes across like an arse licking,pretentious gobshíte!

More Sid Lowe,less Graham Hunter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Gerry Kiernan is a fair man for the controversial remarks.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

worth listening to jerry kiernan tonight ..slating gaa players..idiot of a man. newstalk site, off the ball part 2 , about 8 minutes in..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Sick of Hunter at this stage,just comes across like an arse licking,pretentious gobshíte!

Hunter is a spoofer.

Jerry Kiernan's some man! Didn't expect him to be that forthright with his comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

that kiernan fellas a bit of an odd ball with his views on sport. thinks athletics is superior to every other sport and wasnt the 1st time last night that he was giving out that off the ball didnt cover enough athletics. he seems like one of those x sports people who thinks life owes them somthing or they were done over in the past and are still bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

anyone who has to suffer kiernan on the RTE athletics coverage (roughly every two years) would have excpected nothing less than last night.

He is compairing apples and oranges though, GAA players - no matter what the GAA media like to build it up - are not professionals and they do not "train like professionals". they do high intensity training and nutrtition in the same manner as professionals but only in a part time way. There is no comparing GAA training (Even at inter county level) to Provincial Rugby or AFL because you simply cant as the GAA is not a full time professional sport.

What Kiernan is aiming at is those full time professional athletes (and yes his bag is running) who survive on Gov Sports grants and sponsership and who we slag off for not regularly beating the best in the world every Olympics. They dont get massive amounts, and his point would be that the €900,000 would be of better use to them than GAA players is one which has some merit. For the athletic participant it may be the difference between going on and giving up, but that isnt the case for the GAA player who will always have the support of the county board.

first thing Hunter said last night "I was having dinner with one of Alex Fergusons top scouts .... and he agreed with everything I said, thought, expressed" (ok the Bit in bold is paraphrasing, but it isnt far off :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

anyone who has to suffer kiernan on the RTE athletics coverage (roughly every two years) would have excpected nothing less than last night.

He is compairing apples and oranges though, GAA players - no matter what the GAA media like to build it up - are not professionals and they do not "train like professionals". they do high intensity training and nutrtition in the same manner as professionals but only in a part time way. There is no comparing GAA training (Even at inter county level) to Provincial Rugby or AFL because you simply cant as the GAA is not a full time professional sport.

What Kiernan is aiming at is those full time professional athletes (and yes his bag is running) who survive on Gov Sports grants and sponsership and who we slag off for not regularly beating the best in the world every Olympics. They dont get massive amounts, and his point would be that the €900,000 would be of better use to them than GAA players is one which has some merit. For the athletic participant it may be the difference between going on and giving up, but that isnt the case for the GAA player who will always have the support of the county board.

I would probably take issue with you on the provincial rugby training against inter county GAA, have you seen what training inter county players do? A huge number of inter county players are in college which lends itself to professional training.Oisin McConville famously gave up work to concentrate on his football career. I would argue that top Inter county players would be as fit if not fitter than a lot of their rugby counterparts.

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I would probably take issue with you on the provincial rugby training against inter county GAA, have you seen what training inter county players do? A huge number of inter county players are in college which lends itself to professional training.Oisin McConville famously gave up work to concentrate on his football career. I would argue that top Inter county players would be as fit if not fitter than a lot of their rugby counterparts.

yes i have, and whilst it is very intense it is not full time, in that professional rubgy players do morning and afternoon sessions every day, as well as team planning and preperation and skills training. Their food is prepaired by team dietitians and given to them. Eveything they consume and everything that they do is constantly monitored and continually assessed. They ahve several physio and massage sessions during the week, they have access to team doctors 24/7.

there is a difference between "almost" and "lends itself to" and actual "professional full time" - which inter county lad cannot do by the simple virtue that that he is not full time. He has, usually a job ot do between 9-5 and those who done maybe able to do as much gym as they like, but the other supports done exist.

this isnt a slur on GAA players, in fact as things stand their committment in fitting around their lives their training and dedication to their sport is immense, but it is apples and oranges to compaire them to professional full time sports.

And as I said, the ultimate test seems to be the vast step up that all GAA intercounty players have mentioned when they DO get into professsional full time training in the AFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

yes i have, and whilst it is very intense it is not full time, in that professional rubgy players do morning and afternoon sessions every day, as well as team planning and preperation and skills training. Their food is prepaired by team dietitians and given to them. Eveything they consume and everything that they do is constantly monitored and continually assessed. They ahve several physio and massage sessions during the week, they have access to team doctors 24/7.

there is a difference between "almost" and "lends itself to" and actual "professional full time" - which inter county lad cannot do by the simple virtue that that he is not full time. He has, usually a job ot do between 9-5 and those who done maybe able to do as much gym as they like, but the other supports done exist.

this isnt a slur on GAA players, in fact as things stand their committment in fitting around their lives their training and dedication to their sport is immense, but it is apples and oranges to compaire them to professional full time sports.

And as I said, the ultimate test seems to be the vast step up that all GAA intercounty players have mentioned when they DO get into professsional full time training in the AFL.

I agree with you re: AFL however In the highlight above you have basically described the Dublin Inter county Football team setup at present

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jerry kiernan is some tool. Giving out that gaa players aren't as fit as some guy who runs a 30km race! Well, can that guy run up the field with a ball with an opposing team tackling him and kick a point from 30m? :D
    There're different sports, there's not much point in gaa players spending their entire time on fitness training, there's a whole load of other training that needs to be done too.
    JM Skipton wrote: »
    That's apples and oranges too. I'd say the top GAA player would definitely be fitter than most rugby players, but the nature of rugby, fitness isn't as important, especially for certain positions.

I do agree with jerry kiernan when he says that gaa players shouldn't get a grant, the organisation makes enough money. There's other sports that need more money put into them, not gaa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kiernan wouldn't last 5 minutes in a gladiator's arena that is Junior C hurling.

neris wrote: »
    that kiernan fellas a bit of an odd ball with his views on sport. thinks athletics is superior to every other sport and wasnt the 1st time

To be fair to Kiernan, I've heard him being just as forthright about athletes as well.. He had a right go at David Gillick (I think) a few years back.. A lot of the time he is very mild mannered but he just seems to go off on one now and again..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To be fair to Kiernan, I've heard him being just as forthright about athletes as well.. He had a right go at David Gillick (I think) a few years back.. A lot of the time he is very mild mannered but he just seems to go off on one now and again..

I remember James Nolan attacked him on air during the 2004 Olympics, he called him a failed marathon runner or something like that. :pac:
    Gerry of course had criticised him and word got out to Nolan in Athens.
    Kiernan in fairness to him isn't afraid to speak his mind, I think the criticism he sometimes levels at Irish athletes is only meant for their own good. He doesn't sugarcoat anything or praise disappointing or mediocre performances.

That takes guts because you only do a disservice to an athlete if you don't highlight their faults and advise them on how to improve. He only wants to see people achieve their potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

i was sure the mystery voice was the late Sid:confused:

I remember James Nolan attacked him on air during the 2004 Olympics, he called him a failed marathon runner or something like that. :pac:

Yeah, I think that may be the one I'm thinking of.. It made for great TV :D
    Always good to have a "colour" presenter like George Hook or Eamonn Dunphy, who puts being controversial ahead of actually being right.. :D

I nearly crashed the car listening to them playing Haddaway's "What Is Love" with the soundbyte from Richie Sadlier... Love the way they put those things together.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I remember James Nolan attacked him on air during the 2004 Olympics, he called him a failed marathon runner or something like that.

I am pretty sure the term 'long distance slogger' was used too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the term 'long distance slogger' was used too.

Cross-country slogger I thought it was. And he quoted it again when talking about sprints or something later in the Games: "But what what I know Bill, I'm only a..."

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Mark and Murph looking like fools with their analysis of the O'Gara situation. I can't fathom a viable reason for him being involved this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Mark and Murph looking like fools with their analysis of the O'Gara situation. I can't fathom a viable reason for him being involved this weekend.

experience perhaps

• Advertisement

Gift Grub does Off The Ball :D

http://t.co/JcMH4n2k

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement