Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

He's actually a Liverpool fan.

He's not. No idea where you are getting that one from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Like, in an ironic way?

No, it's something I always suspected and it was confirmed on twitter by the guy that does the wine on Moncrieff's movies and booze when he was defending Ken from someone accusing him of being anti-LFC.

As a Liverpool fan myself I had no problem with anything he said tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

To qualify (if needed).
    I don't support Liverpool, I don't even have access to post in the Soccer forum.

But what is the deal with Ken and his naked hate for all things Liverpool FC?
    If Ken didn't like the colour of their coaches socks I'd say he could stretch his contempt into 20 mins.

The odd time he comes out with nonsense (eg: when he dismissed addiction from being a form of mental illness) to strength having nothing to do with ones mind.
    His smugness towards the unfortunates texting in (@ 30c) to point out his error is really starting to annoy.

I have always been a fan of Ken, but the first 20 mins of the football show are starting to become unlistenable.
    Tonights example is case in point.

The following 20 mins (the rest being ads) are a bit better as they then move onto contributors who know the game.
    Specificly, what did he say that was anti liverpool?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Specificly, what did he say that was anti liverpool?

He was critiquing what Brendan Rodgers was doing to try and build a team.

However everything was spoken about in negative terms, like talking down to all the young players and being patronising were plan A and plan B and that was it from Rodgers.

There wasn't a single positive thing said, but that is Ken's modus operanti, be a gutter tabliod radio presenter and enrage people into listening/texting/tweeting.

Lowest common denominator hack style broadcasting.

I won't use the word Journalist as a journalist has an obligation to be truthful and present facts along with an opinion. Which is something Ken and the whole Off the Boil show fail to do.

To be honest their attitude appears to be:

Facts are things other people need to worry about, here's Murph's condescendingcountry pages.

Oh and remember that really unfunny joke we cracked six weeks ago, and how it got no funnier despite us using it 12 times a show every show since then, well, strap yourself in and set your faces to bored factor 10, because he comes that tediously un-amusing joke again.... and again and again and again and again..... (ps flamboyance)

Profiler wrote: »

However everything was spoken about in negative terms, like talking down to all the young players and being patronising were plan A and plan B and that was it from Rodgers.

There wasn't a single positive thing said, but that is Ken's modus operanti, be a gutter tabliod radio presenter and enrage people into listening/texting/tweeting.

I won't use the word Journalist as a journalist has an obligation to be truthful and present facts along with an opinion. Which is something Ken and the whole Off the Boil show fail to do.

Facts are things other people need to worry about, here's Murph's condescendingcountry pages.

Oh and remember that really unfunny joke we cracked six weeks ago, and how it got no funnier despite us using it 12 times a show every show since then, well, strap yourself in and set your faces to bored factor 10, because he comes that tediously un-amusing joke again.... and again and again and again and again..... (ps flamboyance)

It begs a question...then why were you listening to it?

• Advertisement

It begs a question...then why where you listening to it.

Traveling in mates car, he's the driver he gets to pick what's on the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Best of luck with the new show Damien :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I remember a few people texting the show a few years back who were convinced that Ken was an Arsenal fan.

Best of luck with the new show Damien :pac:

Damien :confused: what's this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

• Advertisement

Cheers, I hadn't heard of that. Has it failed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Anyone know how long until the football show podcast is up?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Richie Sadlier was just as, if not more, critical the other night and he's one of the best around at the moment in terms of football punditry.

Maybe, just maybe, they're right and you're not.

Do you realise that I asked for specific points on Ken being "anti liverpool" and almost your entire post is just a rant on why you hate Ken?
    And you think Ken was wrong to have a go at Rogers for criticising the young players in public? I don't think many people will disagree with Ken there.
    I don't see where Ken was critiquing Rogers for building a team, that's because it didn't happen. Ken was picking out lines from Rogers latest press conference, then basically laughing at them for being rubbish. I agree with pretty much all of it. "Strenght is in the mind" (lol!), "borini is famous for his strenght and power, so he needs to work on that", and the whole rogers "motivating" players that are on 100k a week by taking them out for a meal!
    As Xavi6 said, Richard Sadlier was pretty much laughing at that method of motivation too. I agree with Ken and Eoin, when you're finished training with the team, you probably want to go home, play golf, relax with your family. Last thing you'd want to do is go out for dinner with your manager.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Richie Sadlier was just as, if not more, critical the other night and he's one of the best around at the moment in terms of football punditry.

John Giles said more or less the same last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Football pundits and journalists grasp at straws more often than not. They place a vast amount of importance on comments in pre/post match interviews etc.. when in reality its all pure guff, you can be praising/criticising your players in public and saying something completely different to their faces. Theirs a fourth wall the media cannot see through and they base all of their nonsense on hearsay largely.

Worse are the punters who shape their opinions on what the likes of Ken Early has to say. Its entertainment of course, but I really have no idea if the guy does actually no anything about football. I'm not one of these guys to advocate that you need to be an ex player to have an understanding of the game, far from it. But Ken strikes me as a bloke who bluffs alot of them time, and tries to sound intellectual doing it. Folk who know damn all about football are provided with the ideal bluffers guide to football, he really should go around all of the businesses in the country giving a crash course in "sounding like I know what i'm talking about" in relation to football.

He leaves himself open to being ripped to shreds on occasion, and is a poor man's version of far better football writers/journo's across the water.

Having said all of that its a very enjoyable show on the whole, I think both Gilroy and McDevitt and excellent presenters and McDevitt particularly winds Early up something shocking when he is talking rubbish.

I know some hardcore football fans who just cannot listen to Early and on the flip side I know some fly by night fans (who when push comes to shove couldn't give a toss about football) who think he is a legend. I don't get it myself, he is neither funny nor informative.

Sadlier is entertainment, he is not rational or balanced enough to be a good pundit.

Irish fans seem to like him as he would be the ideal man to have a good whinge with. He is clearly eyeing Dunphy's spot as the colour commentator.

I suppose its all about what you look for in terms of punditry. Sadlier is your man if you enjoy passionate whinging without any real insight, so he is perfect for RTE who pride themselves as being the polar opposite of BBC. But being "honest" and "passionate" doesn't hide the fact that theres very little tactical insight. And Richie never talks about patterns of play, or formations or any of the relevant stuff. Good man for an "ex pro story" though which blokes seem to lap up in the pub over a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've spent the last I would think nearly ten years listening to Off the Ball at least a few times a week.

Its a super show. They put a lot of thought into it.....epitomises all thats good about Newstalk, researchers are hungry for good interviews, presenters are thoughtful (as in they think carefully about what items they are doing), only bit I switch off for is the horse racing, other than that its all good.

Liverpool are there to be criticised, however running down everything that goes at the club is not criticism.

Oh and if you want to strengthen your point, don't use Sad-liar. He has zero creditability.

Irish Independent Sunday 24th April 2011

This bit always makes me laugh

"I would never have worn a Rangers shirt anywhere else. Even I was never that stupid. Midway through the season in which I picked up the injury which eventually finished my career, I was aware Rangers were one of the clubs interested in signing me."

There is not a snowballs chance in hell "his team" the now dead Rangers would ever have signed him, they were never interested in him or any Dublin Born Catholic for that matter before their long overdue death.

It's such an obvious lie, it's up there with saying that right now Barcelona want to sign Sad-liar and use him to replace Messi.

however running down everything that goes at the club is not criticism.

And you're trying to strenghten your point by making out something happened that didn't. He was commenting on a interview the manager made, not running down everything that goes on at the club.

• Advertisement

And you're trying to strenghten your point by making out something happened that didn't. He was commenting on a interview the manager made, not running down everything that goes on at the club.

In that interview I didn't hear one positive thing from him about Rodgers. It was all negative.

I'd be interested to know what positive or even neutral things you heard him say.

He did fairly bury him in fairness.

He commented on the interview but then proceeded to bury everything Rodgers apparently does in order to motivate his squad.

Was pretty petty stuff in all honesty and as I highlighted above in a post, its symptomatic of media trying to create their own news and pouring over comments that well and trully don't actually mean anything.

He spent about half an hour talking about the merits of bringing you players out for lunch ffs

In that interview I didn't hear one positive thing from him about Rodgers. It was all negative.

I'd be interested to know what positive or even neutral things you heard him say.

Liverpool had just lost to a team 2 leagues below it for the first time in nearly 20 years, wtf was there was there to be positive about? First you objection was that he was "running down everything that goes at the club"...which he wasn't...now you're upset because he didn't anything positive about Brendan Rodgers. I have to agree with the other poster who said this is all about your dislike for Ken and not a lot to do with what happened on the show the other night.

Liverpool had just lost to a team 2 leagues below it for the first time in nearly 20 years, wtf was there was there to be positive about?

Yeah, you are right, sure they have nothing at all to be positive about,

Should they just shut the club down?

I have to agree with the other poster who said this is all about your dislike for Ken and not a lot to do with what happened on the show the other night.
    Agree with him all you like, it wont be the first or last time you or him will be wrong.

Seems to be that the Ken fan boys think its OK for Ken to be critical about anything and everything but nobody is allowed be critical about him?

Should they just shut the club down?

No. I never said that, you're exaggerating again.

Agree with him all you like, it wont be the first or last time you or him will be wrong.

I get the feeling that you're never wrong yourself Profiler
    Seems to be that the Ken fan boys think its OK for Ken to be critical about anything and everything but nobody is allowed be critical about him?

I've already been critical of him in this thread.

Profiler, you seriously think KEn Early is "anti liverpool" because he didn't say anything positive about a particularly bad Brendan Rogers press conference? Come off it! I could say you're anti Ken Early judging by your posts! It makes no sense, Rogers was talking shíte and Ken just pointed it out, quite humorous and entertainingly too imho. He's "anti" almost every club in the world too, he can go a long time without being positive about them.
    Actually, the irony is that Rogers was the one talking negatively about Liverpool players by saying the young players weren't good enough, and Ken was the person saying that was wrong!
    Jayob10 wrote: »
    He did fairly bury him in fairness.

He commented on the interview but then proceeded to bury everything Rodgers apparently does in order to motivate his squad.

Was pretty petty stuff in all honesty and as I highlighted above in a post, its symptomatic of media trying to create their own news and pouring over comments that well and trully don't actually mean anything.

He spent about half an hour talking about the merits of bringing you players out for lunch ffs
    Ken goes through the days news, and sort of like football365's mediawatch, players and managers deserve to be pulled up on the bóllocks they say in press conferences. If the comments don't mean anything, don't say them to a room full of journalists in a press conference!

Liverpool are there to be criticised, however running down everything that goes at the club is not criticism.

Oh and if you want to strengthen your point, don't use Sad-liar. He has zero creditability.

Irish Independent Sunday 24th April 2011

This bit always makes me laugh

"I would never have worn a Rangers shirt anywhere else. Even I was never that stupid. Midway through the season in which I picked up the injury which eventually finished my career, I was aware Rangers were one of the clubs interested in signing me."

There is not a snowballs chance in hell "his team" the now dead Rangers would ever have signed him, they were never interested in him or any Dublin Born Catholic for that matter before their long overdue death.

It's such an obvious lie, it's up there with saying that right now Barcelona want to sign Sad-liar and use him to replace Messi.

"Sad-liar"? Really? How wonderfully creative and mature of you :rolleyes:

And not everything was run down, Ken defended the young players following their criticism by Rodgers. As far as I'm concerned you're just trying to create an agenda that isn't there.

Liverpool fan by any chance?

"Sad-liar"? Really? How wonderfully creative and mature of you :rolleyes:

And not everything was run down, Ken defended the young players following their criticism by Rodgers. As far as I'm concerned you're just trying to create an agenda that isn't there.

Liverpool fan by any chance?

Trying to create an agenda? that's a good one, or should I say "wonderfully creative" of you [insert smile]yawn [/insert smile]

I don't think Ken represents responsible and balanced punditry, with him it appears to be all about negative, negative, negative, say something controversial and obviously contrived and provoke people into emailing, tweeting and texting (@ €.030 per text) into the show.

It's not even an original approach and Ken is far to obvious for it to be a good copy of that approach.

There are a lot of people on here who appear to think

Ken criticising Rodgers or any other manager = OK
    People criticising Ken = Not acceptable

This is an off the ball thread not a Ken love in.

(ps - I'm not even a fan of an English Premiership team)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anybody find Kenny Cunningham annoying on commentary during the weekend soccer coverage? I don't get his persistent use of the word 'fuhball', for eg, Liverpool fuhball club, the fuhball pitch, good fuhball player etc. It makes him come across as a total knob.

• Advertisement

Trying to create an agenda? that's a good one, or should I say "wonderfully creative" of you [insert smile]yawn [/insert smile]

I don't think Ken represents responsible and balanced punditry, with him it appears to be all about negative, negative, negative, say something controversial and obviously contrived and provoke people into emailing, tweeting and texting (@ €.030 per text) into the show.

It's not even an original approach and Ken is far to obvious for it to be a good copy of that approach.

There are a lot of people on here who appear to think

Ken criticising Rodgers or any other manager = OK
    People criticising Ken = Not acceptable

This is an off the ball thread not a Ken love in.

(ps - I'm not even a fan of an English Premiership team)

I've no problem with people criticising Ken, he's very much an acquired taste and for the first few years I couldn't stand him. I'll go back and find the posts on the this site that say exactly that if you like.

The point I challenged was regarding his comments on Liverpool and that was OTT with his criticism. I don't think he was, and neither do plenty of others. Here's another article from today which says a lot of the same things -

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/no-escaping-grim-reality-3375702.html

They can't *all* be wrong in the what's being said about Rodgers.

As for Ken in general, he is there to play the role of the shock jock but what's the problem with that? It sparks debate and surely you're ok with that, otherwise you wouldn't be posting on a discussion forum.

And come on, surely you can admit that 'Sad-liar' is just a tad pathetic on reflection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement