Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options
1328329330331332334»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Most of us have lives and aren’t in a position to listen? :):):)

Most of us have been in a position to do nothing other than listen for the last 18 months and we have been bombarded with nothing other than top quality sport for the last few months, yet this this thread is dead for for some reason.

You brought up the politicisation of the show, nobody else, the thread and show is dead and unpopular for a reason…you’ve just given one good reason why “E”

I don't think this thread has ever served as a genuine discussion platform for topics introduced on the show with the only one that generated any meaningful interaction on here being the Mayo Ladies footballers which was mostly outrage by many here that the show entertained their complaints as to how they were being treated.

Check out the posts between 9970 and 9990. At least ten of them are solely and directly aimed at denigrating the hosts or contributors to the show. And many of the rest of them are responses to this. That's a microcosm for the thread. Meanwhile the show continues to be popular on all its platforms it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

I don't think this thread has ever served as a genuine discussion platform for topics introduced on the show with the only one that generated any meaningful interaction on here being the Mayo Ladies footballers which was mostly outrage by many here that the show entertained their complaints as to how they were being treated.

Check out the posts between 9970 and 9990. At least ten of them are solely and directly aimed at denigrating the hosts or contributors to the show. And many of the rest of them are responses to this. That's a microcosm for the thread. Meanwhile the show continues to be popular on all its platforms it seems.

Point totally missed, the criticism and adulation is and was null until the same heads like yourself pop up all of sudden defending it.

The show was excellent….it’s absolutely shīte now.

Point totally missed, the criticism and adulation is and was null until the same heads like yourself pop up all of sudden defending it.

The show was excellent….it’s absolutely shīte now.

Yeah, yeah, sure it is.

By what metric?

We've been down this road before, but I don't think this thread is ever going to be what you want it to be - i.e. a place for meaningful discussion on general topics being discussed or introduced on the show. I think there are other threads in the main sports sections that cover this well.

The thread is about the show and inevitably much of the discussion will be about the presenters and contributors, good and bad. Unfortunately, most people like to focus on the negative so that's what we get most of here.

I made a criticism of one of the guests in the the bunch of posts you have named there. I think the criticism is entirely justified if you listened to it, and I don't see how or why there is anything wrong with pointing that out. I used to love the Sunday Paper Review but the quality has dimmed a lot in the last year and have said a few times that it's probably run its course.

I've also pointed out that I enjoyed the Dunphy slots, which were very good.

The thread will always be about the show itself and the contributors and presenters, as most of the others in this section are, but it would be good if the new thread were a bit more balanced as the 'it's gone to ****e' stuff is tiresome and is probably the reason why this one died on its feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Yeah, yeah, sure it is.

By what metric?

By the same metric that causes you to think it can do no wrong. It swings both ways. For every person who thinks Joe is the best radio presenter in the country, there is one or more who want to vomit when Maire Treasa ni Cheallaigh tells us we haven’t had enough lockdown and we should be happy to accept more of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    By the same metric that causes you to think it can do no wrong. It swings both ways. For every person who thinks Joe is the best radio presenter in the country, there is one or more who want to vomit when Maire Treasa ni Cheallaigh tells us we haven’t had enough lockdown and we should be happy to accept more of it.

…on here.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've caught none of the show recently, because I've been watching football and listening to Second Captains, Football Weekly & Totally Football Show - the daily podcasts.

Although I have listened (as with any other week) to Giles on Thursday (on podcast).

Has Eamonn been on often? Can anyone tell me when?

I also listen to The Stand.

Jaysus, there is a lot of sport coverage these days.

Jayesdiem wrote: »

This is a perfect example of the hypocrisy that goes on.

People (who still continue to listen to the show) talk all the time about them being SJW's or having an agenda or some other nonsense and yet at the same time, when they hear an opinion from someone they disagree with (who is nearly a qualified Dr) they apparently want to vomit. Talk about being perpetually outraged.

And btw the way, that isn't a metric for saying that the show is sh*te now. My metric for saying it is still good is that it still continues to be listened to widely, they haven't made any drastic changes to the schedule which would indicate it wasn't doing so and the morning version of the show online is still going strong almost 3 years later. Your opinion is not even a metric, no matter how much you think it is and is the one and only one that counts.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've caught none of the show recently, because I've been watching football and listening to Second Captains, Football Weekly & Totally Football Show - the daily podcasts.

Although I have listened (as with any other week) to Giles on Thursday (on podcast).

Has Eamonn been on often? Can anyone tell me when?

I also listen to The Stand.

Jaysus, there is a lot of sport coverage these days.

He has been on the Euro2020 podcast. You'll find some videos of the podcast on YouTube with him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

This is a perfect example of the hypocrisy that goes on.

People (who still continue to listen to the show) talk all the time about them being SJW's or having an agenda or some other nonsense and yet at the same time, when they hear an opinion from someone they disagree with (who is nearly a qualified Dr) they apparently want to vomit. Talk about being perpetually outraged.

And btw the way, that isn't a metric for saying that the show is sh*te now. My metric for saying it is still good is that it still continues to be listened to widely, they haven't made any drastic changes to the schedule which would indicate it wasn't doing so and the morning version of the show online is still going strong almost 3 years later. Your opinion is not even a metric, no matter how much you think it is and is the one and only one that counts.

What’s being a doctor got to do with telling us how we should feel and think? You are assuming the country has adopted the right approach and her support of that approach makes her right because she’s had some medical training. It doesn’t. And inexperienced nearly-doctors are far from infallible or authoritative. She is neither. And you are as predictable as ever.

• Advertisement

I think this thread will go out as it has existed for much of the last year, which is a pity, as it's not exactly a pleasant place to spend any time.

I think this thread will go out as it has existed for much of the last year, which is a pity, as it's not exactly a pleasant place to spend any time.

Agreed. And I know no one gets any joy from reading much, if any of my content here but I don't see why it should be left to those who only want to be negative. all. the. time.

You made a point yesterday that it will never be what I want it to be and I'd clarify my position slightly in that I don't think it will always be just about discussions raised on the show, and I do agree the focus of the thread is the show itself and as such people are going to be judged, but it all being a constant flow in one direction for what is a successful show riles me.

Agreed. And I know no one gets any joy from reading much, if any of my content here but I don't see why it should be left to those who only want to be negative. all. the. time.

You made a point yesterday that it will never be what I want it to be and I'd clarify my position slightly in that I don't think it will always be just about discussions raised on the show, and I do agree the focus of the thread is the show itself and as such people are going to be judged, but it all being a constant flow in one direction for what is a successful show riles me.

The thread just seems to have become a battle ground for those at opposite ends of a divide and it's the same argument ad nauseam.

I'd agree broadly with your sentiment, but at the risk of repeating myself, I don't believe an individual can redress an actual or perceived imbalance like this as they will just end up falling into the same trap as those they are riled by.

Anyway, hopefully the next thread is less of a cess pit and it has a little more balance.

New thread here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058195604

Down she goes, like Jack when Kate Winslet pushed him off the life-raft.

Goodbye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement