Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Is it that they wanted to do the same length of show, just starting an hour earlier, or that they wanted to do the same show with an hour more at the start? Seems odd that they'd want to do the latter. The show can feel a bit sparse at times depending on what's going on in the sporting world, so it might have been a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hook tweeted this earlier.
    George Hook ‏@ghook
    After years of innovative sport, the Off the Ball team have decided to seek fame and fortune elsewhere. The founder Ger Gilroy returns

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't believe 2fm is the kind of station for them. I also don't believe 2fm will dedicate 3 hours every evening from 7pm to 10pm to sport.

I can't see it happening. Also are 2fm going to offer all 5 lads contracts when RTE already have multiples of lads working in the sports department on big money as it is for doing very little.

It will never be the same.

True. They had a certain amount of freedom on Newstalk that they would never get in RTE. It would be like a diet version of Off the Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

That's a bit excessive.

Its not really i have cousins in England who listen all the time and through their listenership all of there friends listen too.big following in England

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Listen to TalkSport for a few days and you might feel differently.

TalkSport aren't great. 5live have some good stuff though. World Football Phone-In is probably my favourite show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That extra hour of atrocious Hook banter about American politics is going to cost NT bigtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Hmm. Seems a bit odd that five of them would resign because they weren't allowed dictate the stations schedule, which is what that report in the indo seems to be saying.

And who owns the Indo, conspiracy theories ahoy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I don't believe that from the Indo,they want to go on air at 18:00...!!Sure one of the main reasons for the Friday night show been cut was they felt they were running thin on content for so many hours of live radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Aidric wrote: »
    Hook tweeted this earlier.
    I hate Hook even more now.

His show is like giving your mates grandad who has early stages of alzheimers a 2.5 hours primetime national radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Dub13 wrote: »
    I don't believe that from the Indo,they want to go on air at 18:00...!!Sure one of the main reasons for the Friday night show been cut was they felt they were running thin on content for so many hours of live radio.

Maybe a 6-9 show instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Unless they wanted to go 6 to 9 rather than 7 to 10. 6 to 10 seems like a real stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This extra hour malarky smells, first they wouldn't ask for an hour and expect to get it unless they were dopes, they might have managed to wangle 30 mins and Hooky start at 4 pm.

Second - the idea that the NT boss would bin them immediately strikes me as very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I'm assuming it was start at 18:00 and finish at 21:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Shame this has happened, as others have said, it will be interesting to find out what caused it?

Maybe a 6-9 show instead?

A possibility,but the show would feel strange any night there is live football on they would essentially be finished when the games are at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

cant imagine they wanted 6-9, more like 6-10 if reports are true.
    would they end mid-week shows when football games still had 30mins left in then. best thing about 10pm endingd was they'd give you results

6-9 would not make ANY sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

I think 6-10 makes sense, they were getting rushed as it was in my opinion.

more OTB the better, ill listen tonight purely because I wanted to see how its addressed but after that i'm done.

more OTB the better, ill listen tonight purely because I wanted to see how its addressed but after that i'm done.

4 hours is very long for a sports show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

ill listen in, 7-7.15. thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ya that Indo story doesn't wash. Why would they finish at 9 when all the live football would be ending closer to 10?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

P_1 wrote: »
    4 hours is very long for a sports show though.

I thought they were starting to get pushed with the increased Rugby they were doing, the GAA getting back into overdrive and the other interviews they were trying to cover. I'd have gladly listened to 4 hours - minus breaks and news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That extra hour of atrocious Hook banter spoofing about American politics is going to cost NT bigtime.
    FYP.

I very much doubt they resingned en masse without an alternative gig being in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It's funny that the presenters and the producers of the show resigned.

I thought they were starting to get pushed with the increased Rugby they were doing, the GAA getting back into overdrive and the other interviews they were trying to cover. I'd have gladly listened to 4 hours - minus breaks and news.

If they were getting pushed the first move would be to bring back a full Friday show.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

If you ask me its all bout ger gilroy.Couple years back when he stepped down as presenter he was set to take on the television world but didnt work out for him.

So i reckon he started to throw his dummy out of his pram and this is what we get now a soulless non - personality. That will be 1 less listener in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Sounds like the sort of request you'd make knowing full well it wouldn't be granted, 6-7 wouldn't have worked for them, would be more head to head with drive time current affairs on RTE and The Last Word.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's been unofficial contact about expanding Game On on RTE to a couple of hours and slotting in there.

As would I but I couldn't see it working, unless they were angling to get some live comms/documentaries into the show.

4 hours is a very long time for a live talk broadcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I'd be very surprised if this is all down to that scheduling issue.

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if they were thinking about getting Champions League radio rights? Could have swore I heard something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement