Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

After 10 years labouring and producing the best show (of any format?) on radio, I think they can afford to flex the muscle a bit. We all have to make bold moves in our careers from time to time - tehy've just done it en-masse.

I notice (although I stand to be corrected) that RTE1 have replaced their 7 o'clock sports show with a culture/arts show in the last while.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Jesus this is crazy. Something very serious must have happened to cause them all to resign like that. It was a terrific show - more often than not the best of recent times. Hopefully they'll bring the format to another station but, for now, it's a bad day for Irish radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No fan of this programme or the people on it but on the face of it a huge loss for NT who are not overburdened with what many consider "must listen" radio.

If they have gone en masse does that that they have been poached as a team to RTE or
    is it something quite different in nature (a sacking?) and everyone has walked in solidarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

across ireland, and in some other parts of the world, grown men everywhere are thinking what to do in the evenings now. i may start watching more tv, or talk to people.

Ah you'll probably just listen to the new Off the Ball show. You'll complain at first but you'll still listen and before you know it, you'll love it again

Then they'll leave and the whole filthy cycle will repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What about their loyal listeners over the last 10 years.

Are the not worth some sort of explanation, afterall its us who got them to where they are currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

mike65 wrote: »
    No fan of this programme or the people on it but on the face of it a huge loss for NT who are not overburdened with what many consider "must listen" radio.

If they have gone en masse does that that they have been poached as a team to RTE or
    is it something quite different in nature (a sacking?) and everyone has walked in solidarity?

The nature of the leaving would suggest (guessing here) that they maybe had an offer that NT refused to match....pure speculation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Facts! We need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dodge wrote: »
    Ah you'll probably just listen to the new Off the Ball show. You'll complain at first but you'll still listen and before you know it, you'll love it again

Then they'll leave and the whole filthy cycle will repeat!
    I like Ger Gilroy, but it won't be the same without Ken, Murph and Eoin.

Wonder what's happening? Nothing on twitter from any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just hope they don't resurface on a Dublin only station a la Ray Foley. Although Foley was no loss to the national airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Dodge wrote: »

Unlikely. I've all but stopped listening to the sports shows at the weekend. It's just not as enjoyable with Ger in charge. And as for his new sidekicks? Not even close to the same entertainment of the regular team.

• Advertisement

Gilroy is a scab, I'll refuse to listen to his show :mad:

I notice (although I stand to be corrected) that RTE1 have replaced their 7 o'clock sports show with a culture/arts show in the last while.......

Think RTE just recently started their own evening sports show to go into direct competition with Off the Ball. Game on it's called. Hosted by Damien O'Meara.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ahhhhhhh no! That's a complete balls!

The new 2FM sports show (on at the same time) must be fricking delighted, their main rivals gone! Unless that is, Eoin and Ken are moving to 2FM... hmmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

I'd expect to see them take over that RTE Sports show that tried to go head to head with them, RTE were never going to win that battle so why not just headhunt them instead. Be interesting to see how it goes if that's the case, working for RTE is a different animal to an independent radio station from all accounts....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

2FM are the only possible destination I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

gimmick wrote: »
    Are they really prized assets? I would imagine Tom Dunne, Moncrief and a few others are more prized.

It is widely regarded as the best sports show on radio, not just within Ireland but also abroad. Just look at the reaction on twitter from British and European football writers and commentators.

Therefore, yes, I do consider them to be prized assets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

gutted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Aidric wrote: »

It is widely regarded as the best sports show on radio, not just within Ireland but also abroad. Just look at the reaction on twitter from British and European football writers and commentators.

That's a bit excessive.

2FM are the only possible destination I can think of.

Denis O'Brien owns Today FM as well so not there.

Leaves only RTE or gulp 98FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

That's a bit excessive.

Listen to TalkSport for a few days and you might feel differently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

The decision came after the crew requested to take an hour off the George Hook show and go on the air at 6.00pm but that was turned down by the station.

It’s thought station chiefs felt this did not make sense commercially and would also affect audience figures.

Insiders said the Off the Ball team also turned down the opportunity of an extra Saturday morning slot.

It’s thought the sports crew wanted to work out an eight week notice period but Newstalk decided it was better to terminate the relationship immediately.

from the Indo

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ultimate Ultan

This is major blow for NT. I wonder if there is any link to former CEO Frank Cronin leaving at the start of February? There's a huge listenership for OTB, and NT will certainly feel the loss in advertising revenue.

I can't see them being short of offers from else where in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's massive. 2FM badly need them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Who owns 4FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Canned in favour of the windbag that is George Hook,unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

According to the Independent, they wanted to start at 6pm thereby taking an hour off The Right Hook. They weren't given it so they resigned but wanted to work out an 8 week notice period.

NT told them to leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

This is appalling news. I'm not a sports fan at all but I love this show - listening to the banter while I make dinner is how I unwind after work.
    [Dammit. How the hell am I supposed to block out the sheer hell of being old and alone now??]
    But I think they overplayed their hand: 7pm is the perfect start time for the show. It's well into 'evening' territory, away from the fraught atmosphere of Current Affairs, and helped keep come-day,go-day radio fans like myself tuned in long past the point where I usually switch off the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hmm. Seems a bit odd that five of them would resign because they weren't allowed dictate the stations schedule, which is what that report in the indo seems to be saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

That's massive. 2FM badly need them IMO.

I don't believe 2fm is the kind of station for them. I also don't believe 2fm will dedicate 3 hours every evening from 7pm to 10pm to sport.

I can't see it happening. Also are 2fm going to offer all 5 lads contracts when RTE already have multiples of lads working in the sports department on big money as it is for doing very little.

It will never be the same.

• Advertisement

I now have no reason to own a radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement