Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah,Hunter does sound a bit pathetic when he's going on about various Barca/Madrid players like he's actually mates with them.You can tell Ken loves winding him up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Temaz wrote: »
    I had to tune out due to know it all Ken.

Ken is a legend. How dare you. HOW DARE YOU!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Betsy Andreu on at the mo.

Very impressive lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Betsy Andreu on at the mo.

Very impressive lady.

that was a quality interview by mcdevitt all right, they delayed the news and all to allow her finish. when they are on song its a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I echo the Gilroy sentiments. Can't really listen to his Saturday stuff. Prefer Shaggy's bro to Ger. Eoin is superb at what he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When did they bring back 'Good Clean Fun With Pat Kenny'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I can't say that I would ever describe Gilroy as smug, or a prick. It is description, however, that I think more aptly could be given to OTB's self-appointed "Chief Sports Anchor". The presenter always has the advantage in any exchange because he can always have the last word, Mcdevitt does have a tendency to abuse this bit of power i.e. cutting remark to Murph or Ken...immediately cuts to ads. Mostly it's harmless, sometimes it can be funny but quite often he does come across as a bit of a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I don't think any of them are pricks. I think they're all very likeable and good at their jobs.

I'd agree that they are both good at their jobs, there's just a side to McDevitt that I don't particularly like. Whereas, to me, Gilroy is a fairly affable kind of bloke who wouldn't cause offense to anybody.

I'd agree that they are both good at their jobs, there's just a side to McDevitt that I don't particularly like. Whereas, to me, Gilroy is a fairly affable kind of bloke who wouldn't cause offense to anybody.
    I like Eoin, but I think Gilroy is a much better interviewer. More professional, and askes better questions. He does seem to be good crack on OTB, more highbrow than Eoin.
    Gilroy is Frazier and Eoin is Benny Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Myself and my mates met Gilroy a couple of times over in Poland for the euros. Seemed a very affable easy going fella. Even saw the funny side of people shouting "hey, there's Eoin mcDevitt!" at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Timmy Mac was on tonight. RTE should differt all available funds and get this man commentating on the NBA next season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

omerin wrote: »
    Timmy Mac was on tonight. RTE should differt all available funds and get this man commentating on the NBA next season

Any idea what time he was on at so I can catch it on the listen back part of the newstalk website

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Any idea what time he was on at so I can catch it on the listen back part of the newstalk website

He was on after 8, 8:30 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Biggest problem I have with Eoin is he is a kilmacud crokes man;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

I think both McDevitt and Gilroy are very good, not a fan of Ken Early at all. Probably down to the fact that he holds a different opinion to me 99% of the time though :p He constantly seeks to find an angle on things that hasn't been explored and it gets a bit tiresome, sometimes it just is what it is Ken :cool:

His exchanges with Graham Hunter are quite funny, Hunter polarizes opinion, I like him as a journalist when he doesn't go over the top trying to show how many players he personally knows.

Ken Early doesn't like him and its obvious. They had an argument the other night about Guardiola going to Bayern. Ken seemed to think Pep couldn't lose at Bayern and it was a case of him just showing up and using the resources at his disposal and Hunter took a completely opposite stance saying finances are not the be all and end all, citing Mancini's fortunes in Europe as an example.

Early then claimed the Bundesliga is easy to win compared to La Liga, which is a foolish statement to make and Hunter told him so. Was quite funny seeing Ken have his ass handed to him on air, by someone he doesn't like at all :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

What I don't like about Ken is the way he has to disagree with every text sent into the show and on the rare occasion he does agree he feels the need to put the icing on the cake.

Jayob10 wrote: »

Early then claimed the Bundesliga is easy to win compared to La Liga, which is a foolish statement to make and Hunter told him so. Was quite funny seeing Ken have his ass handed to him on air, by someone he doesn't like at all :p

I didn't see it that way at all, I thought Hunter made a complete tit of himself last week. There was no sign of him in his usual slot last night, I'm kind of hoping that he has flounce of in a huff - for good. Sid Lowe was just infinitely better. No pretending to best mates with every member of the Spanish squad, no tortuous overly analytical answers that go on forever and no tantrums because someone dares to have a different opinion than him.

Temaz wrote: »
    What I don't like about Ken is the way he has to disagree with every text sent into the show and on the rare occasion he does agree he feels the need to put the icing on the cake.

thats true, he often looks for an angle thats not even there just for the sake of being different.

Wouldn't ever say he was a pr*ck or the likes ive seen on this thread, but I do think he is not all that hectic given the central role he has. I reckon there are many out there who could do his job, he is not a class apart.

Some of the interviews done by McDevitt/Gilroy are excellent though.

Its a really good show, the contributions with Hunter/Honingstein/Wilson et al is really good.

Tim Vickery is also excellent as always when he is on, he is very well informed without even a hint of smugness

I didn't see it that way at all, I thought Hunter made a complete tit of himself last week. There was no sign of him in his usual slot last night, I'm kind of hoping that he has flounce of in a huff - for good. Sid Lowe was just infinitely better. No pretending to best mates with every member of the Spanish squad, no tortuous overly analytical answers that go on forever and no tantrums because someone dares to have a different opinion than him.

Hunter is a bit over the top, his love for Real Madrid is nauseating. But definately think he got the better of Ken there, Ken inferred there was zero risk in Pep going to Bayern when in reality theres alot of risk to his rep.

He made it seem like Pep will stroll to a league title at a canter, when in reality Dortmund will provide a stern challenge, regardless of funds.

Hunter would also be the first one to put the boot into anyone Barca too when you scratch below the surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ken is a legend although I found it funny one night one somebody texted in to say he sounded like Eric Cartman when quoting footballers and managers on Off The Ball :D

going to say something controversial now, and I disagreed vehemently with the guy who said it at the time.

Ken Earley is loved by those who know damn all about football :P

He gives them the ultimate bluffers guide to the weeks football

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hunter is a bit over the top, his love for Real Madrid is nauseating

Is he not into barca? I can't stand hunter or Sid lowe and the way they only make it sound like there's two teams in the whole Spanish league

neris wrote: »
    Is he not into barca? I can't stand hunter or Sid lowe and the way they only make it sound like there's two teams in the whole Spanish league

Actually you are right, is it Sid Lowe thats predominantly Real?

I know Hunter and himself champion opposing sides to the British and Irish media

Both really should be correspondents for those individual clubs seeing as its all they talk about.

neris wrote: »
    I can't stand hunter or Sid lowe and the way they only make it sound like there's two teams in the whole Spanish league

I don't think that's true of Sid Lowe, just recently he was on OTB to highlight the plight of Real Oviedo and personally got behind the bid to save the club.

I know Hunter and himself champion opposing sides to the British and Irish media

Sid is based in Madrid but doesn't champion Real, he has often been critical of the club on the show. Hunter is based in Barcelona and is utterly biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Ken Early is brilliant,doesn't take anything too seriously and has a great dry sense of humour.I generally don't bother listening when he's away unless there's a decent interview lined up.

Sid Lowe is in a different league to Graham Hunter IMO,informative and gives his own view without coming across as being a lick up to players/clubs.

That's the problem with Ken, he'll have his ass handed to him in an argument, all his points answered and proved wrong, but when whatever journalist is gone it won't have changed kens mind. He'll still think the German league is easy to win!
    It reminds me of his Bayern Munich rants. He always goes on about all the blue chip companies in Bavaria that want to be associated with the club so it's easy for them to be up on their high horse and say clubs should only spend the money they earn blah blah. But he put all his points to Raphael Honigstein who did the usual, prove all kens points wrong but and make a bit of a fool of him, but doesn't matter, the very next day Ken is back to his mantra and he might as well have never even talked to Honigstein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

To qualify (if needed).
    I don't support Liverpool, I don't even have access to post in the Soccer forum.

But what is the deal with Ken and his naked hate for all things Liverpool FC?
    If Ken didn't like the colour of their coaches socks I'd say he could stretch his contempt into 20 mins.

The odd time he comes out with nonsense (eg: when he dismissed addiction from being a form of mental illness) to strength having nothing to do with ones mind.
    His smugness towards the unfortunates texting in (@ 30c) to point out his error is really starting to annoy.

I have always been a fan of Ken, but the first 20 mins of the football show are starting to become unlistenable.
    Tonights example is case in point.

The following 20 mins (the rest being ads) are a bit better as they then move onto contributors who know the game.

He's actually a Liverpool fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

He's actually a Liverpool fan.

Like, in an ironic way?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement