Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Bit of a cringe moment there on Radio One.. Brian Mullins talking about Paidí began "If you measure the man by heart, and I dont mean physical heart"... Very unfortunate choice of words... Hard to believe that Paidí is gone, he's was a great character...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bit of a cringe moment there on Radio One.. Brian Mullins talking about Paidí began "If you measure the man by heart, and I dont mean physical heart"... Very unfortunate choice of words... Hard to believe that Paidí is gone, he's was a great character...

I wouldn't be too harsh it was an unintentional faux pas. I echo your words on Paidi, it was shocking to hear of his sudden passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

'ya know'

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Great interview with the 3 Kerry lads talking about Paidi tonight and excerpts from the Paidi interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Does anybody know what the real story with ken and his supposed trial at marseille. Was it just made up or what

• Advertisement

Does anybody know what the real story with ken and his supposed trial at marseille. Was it just made up or what

I always wondered that too, I think it's just a spoof though.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

Mark Horgan interviewing his brother on the rugby.I wonder where Eoin Is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

sleepyman wrote: »
    Mark Horgan interviewing his brother on the rugby.I wonder where Eoin Is?

On a day off, presumably.

Shane sounded genuinely pissed off at whatever Jerry Flannery said about him. I hope they come on air to sort out their grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

Skid wrote: »

On a day off, presumably.

Shane sounded genuinely pissed off at whatever Jerry Flannery said about him. I hope they come on air to sort out their grievances.
    I missed that Skid.What did he say?I think Shane is being honest in his criticism of Munster at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I missed that Skid.What did he say?I think Shane is being honest in his criticism of Munster at the moment

To be honest, I was only half listening, but It was something to do with Jerry Flannery criticising Shane Horgan's choice of Man of The Match recently (possibly Saturday's Munster game which was on RTÉ). It was brought up in a light hearted manner, but Shaggy sounded genuinely annoyed and said he would expect better from a former team-mate and it should have been said to his face. Mark Horgan then said they would clear the schedules if the two of them wanted to come on air to sort it out (half jokingly).

I will try to catch it again on playback when I get a chance to check the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I wonder where Eoin Is?

I vaguely remember him saying that he was going on holidays to Argentina. I think Horgan is standing in for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Apologies but I have completely missed the point you are trying to make,you have quoted my post so I presume there is something in it that you agree/disagree with??

late apologies to your apologies, due to formatting error i was replying to the person you were replying to.

odd stuff on the football show last night. a sepp blatter apologist getting full reign and ken declaring that addiction is not an illness.

despite tony adams and george best, for example, saying it is.

we need eoin back and pronto.

odd stuff on the football show last night. a sepp blatter apologist getting full reign and ken declaring that addiction is not an illness.

despite tony adams and george best, for example, saying it is.

we need eoin back and pronto.

Ken obviously has no experience with addiction problems. Tbh he came across as ignorant and narrow minded last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Ken obviously has no experience with addiction problems. Tbh he came across as ignorant and narrow minded last night.

It was poor alright, and then Mark sort of agreed with him.

I would have though that a gambling addiction could be classed as a mental illness. Ken got this one wrong I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

addictions and illnesses is a grey area. they only became classified as illnesses when medical insurance companies in the US pressurised to get that so they could offer cover for it. up until that, the medical profession didn't regard them as illnesses.
    that was in the 60s afaik so times have changed!

just sayin!

addictions and illnesses is a grey area. they only became classified as illnesses when medical insurance companies in the US pressurised to get that so they could offer cover for it. up until that, the medical profession didn't regard them as illnesses.
    that was in the 60s afaik so times have changed!

just sayin!

A chemical reaction occurs in the brain of a gambling addict when they gamble. Dopamine floods part of the brain, this can be seen using MRI scans. The same reaction doesn't occur for non-addicts, so it's a brain disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

A chemical reaction occurs in the brain of a gambling addict when they gamble. Dopamine floods part of the brain, this can be seen using MRI scans. The same reaction doesn't occur for non-addicts, so it's a brain disorder.

i know there's a physiological change going on, which is why i poorly qualified what i said by saying that it was in the 60s and times have changed along with research etc.
    i was just giving the point of view that still exists in some places.

i was just giving the point of view that still exists in some places.

Yeah, it's a view shared by the current tory Minister for Work and Pensions, Ian Duncan-Smith. Apparently addiction is a moral defect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Mark Horgan's not a bad replacement for Eoin at all,they should get him in whenever Ken's away.Eoin and Murph are a bit dull when it's just them two on their own,no harm in having Horgan there as a third voice.

Mark Horgan's not a bad replacement for Eoin at all,they should get him in whenever Ken's away.Eoin and Murph are a bit dull when it's just them two on their own,no harm in having Horgan there as a third voice.

this is true, but he needs to impose himself a bit more. without eoin in there the show tends to become very student radio and self indulgent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Good to hear McDevitt back tonight. The show is never the same when either he or Ken Early is missing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Can't stand the show, stacactic delivery, total rubbish in my opinion.

Currently parsing the Brian O'Driscoll demotion.

My take, dead right ,move on , O'Driscoll despite being a great player and leader

is gone over the top.

Early is off the wall, athletic sports needs young blood , harsh but true.

Kidney is making the right decision.

How annoying does Graham Hunter have to get for them to dump him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Good to hear McDevitt back tonight. The show is never the same when either he or Ken Early is missing.

I like it when Ger Gilroy does the show, he's really good. When Ken is gone the show misses something.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I like it when Ger Gilroy does the show, he's really good. When Ken is gone the show misses something.

There's something nice about Eoin, he's excellent at what he does. To me Gilroy comes across as a smug arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's something nice about Eoin, he's excellent at what he does. To me Gilroy comes across as a smug arsehole.

Smug doesn't mean bad. Ken is one of the smuggest people in the world, but I still think he's quality!

cannot stand gilroy. the only time i enjoyed listening to him was when kildare crashed out of the championship last year. apart form that he is so smug he actually makes michael mcmullen on live after five seem like a nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Cienciano wrote: »
    Smug doesn't mean bad. Ken is one of the smuggest people in the world, but I still think he's quality!

I had to tune out due to know it all Ken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement