Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Better to bring to a scary film than to one of those soppy 'Notebook'-esque films. Your night would be ruined if ya did that.

College is great. Enjoy every second of it. I'm on placement in a school 35 miles away from my house at the moment. Have to get up at 6 every morning to get there on time. Don't get home until 6 in the evening. Then I've to more work after that.

Friday is my favourite day. Got straight out of school after the bell and got the first train home. Arrived back at 4.30 and hit the pints as quick as I could.

Postgrad college life is ****. Undergrad is where it's at.

I actually like some chick flicks as long as there's a bit of comedy and a babe starring in it is only better..

Yeah it's so much better than school already after less than two months :)...ah stop jees that's something. I'm going to school tomorrow just for observing the children/teacher/classroom but I'll be teaching in January for 6 mondays...looking forward to it eventhough I know the lesson plans are really enduring and all that. I've got a school that's about a 15min away drive which is sound like eventhough I don't drive. I'm there for 6 weeks now and 6 in Jan and then next year it's up to me where I go.

Yeah postgrad doesn't seem that attractive but it'll pay off eventually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

My head, wow does it hurt. Feel like shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I actually like some chick flicks as long as there's a bit of comedy and a babe starring in it is only better..

Yeah it's so much better than school already after less than two months :)...ah stop jees that's something. I'm going to school tomorrow just for observing the children/teacher/classroom but I'll be teaching in January for 6 mondays...looking forward to it eventhough I know the lesson plans are really enduring and all that. I've got a school that's about a 15min away drive which is sound like eventhough I don't drive. I'm there for 6 weeks now and 6 in Jan and then next year it's up to me where I go.

Yeah postgrad doesn't seem that attractive but it'll pay off eventually :D

Not gonna lie, Mean Girls is one of my favourite films. It's ridiculous. Helps that Rachel McAdams is in it. She's unreal.

What course are you doing?

Yea everyone says that the PGCE (primary teaching postgrad) is the probably the toughest course around.

I'm only observing at the moment but after the break I've to teach 10 lessons a week. Need to write up lesson plans for all of those. Then I've to do an evaluation for each of those lessons. I've also to observe two children in the class, without them knowing, of course.

After Christmas I have two 4,000 word assignments to do, one of which is due on the 11th of January. Won't be doing much drinking over the holidays, I'd say :(. Then I've to do my thesis which is 8,000 words. After that's finished I've to go into the school for another 2 months or so. It's the same as before only I've to teach 70% of the lessons in the week, as opposed to 50% this semester.

I'm glad I'm getting the train and not driving. Gives me a few minutes in the morning to put on the iPod and listen to some Freddie Gibbs or Xzibit and get a bit of work done at the same time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Not gonna lie, Mean Girls is one of my favourite films. It's ridiculous. Helps that Rachel McAdams is in it. She's unreal.

+1

Always have a bit of time for '10 Things I Hate About You' aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Woke up with the ugliest fcuking bruise of all time. Don't know where it came from.

• Advertisement

What course are you doing?

Yea everyone says that the PGCE (primary teaching postgrad) is the probably the toughest course around.

I'm only observing at the moment but after the break I've to teach 10 lessons a week. Need to write up lesson plans for all of those. Then I've to do an evaluation for each of those lessons. I've also to observe two children in the class, without them knowing, of course.

After Christmas I have two 4,000 word assignments to do, one of which is due on the 11th of January. Won't be doing much drinking over the holidays, I'd say :(. Then I've to do my thesis which is 8,000 words. After that's finished I've to go into the school for another 2 months or so. It's the same as before only I've to teach 70% of the lessons in the week, as opposed to 50% this semester.

I'm glad I'm getting the train and not driving. Gives me a few minutes in the morning to put on the iPod and listen to some Freddie Gibbs or Xzibit and get a bit of work done at the same time as well.

Aww man it's a serious film eventhough I always adored the one who played Gretchen!

I'm doing the B.Ed (Primary Teaching) in Mary I :)

I see a few of them around the place and they look miserable as hell and are rarely seen mixing with the undergrads or even found in the same buildings...

Wow thug life...Yeah atm, well starting tomorrow I've to watch the class and teacher and take notes and write up reflections and logs on them plus carry out various tasks to do with English, Irish and then onto Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy....It's funny you mention having to watch 2 kids, we must do the same but it's only for one day...and it's focused on their language they use so not too bad hopefully.

Mother of Jesus that's insane....I suppose if you keep chipping away though it shouldn't be to much of a dose :D

Yeah the train is grand...I get the bus up and down every weekend and takes about two hours but work is outta the question friday evening because I'm so tired and still hungover and sunday night has all the girls chatting really loud plus it's probably my best time to listen to music...must start using my time better though...so many assingnments piling up and I can't even tackle starting them....still cooling down after LC like :P

Woke up with the ugliest fcuking bruise of all time. Don't know where it came from.

It's a hickey!!!

It's a hickey!!!

Yeah, arm hickeys are always the best!

Yeah, arm hickeys are always the best!

Lonely night huh? :P

Lonely night huh? :P

As always!

• Advertisement

Aww man it's a serious film eventhough I always adored the one who played Gretchen!

I'm doing the B.Ed (Primary Teaching) in Mary I :)

I see a few of them around the place and they look miserable as hell and are rarely seen mixing with the undergrads or even found in the same buildings...

Wow thug life...Yeah atm, well starting tomorrow I've to watch the class and teacher and take notes and write up reflections and logs on them plus carry out various tasks to do with English, Irish and then onto Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy....It's funny you mention having to watch 2 kids, we must do the same but it's only for one day...and it's focused on their language they use so not too bad hopefully.

Mother of Jesus that's insane....I suppose if you keep chipping away though it shouldn't be to much of a dose :D

Yeah the train is grand...I get the bus up and down every weekend and takes about two hours but work is outta the question friday evening because I'm so tired and still hungover and sunday night has all the girls chatting really loud plus it's probably my best time to listen to music...must start using my time better though...so many assingnments piling up and I can't even tackle starting them....still cooling down after LC like :P

Very good. It's a great occupation. I did a bit of teaching last year and I found that I ended up liking it even more after being in the class for a sustained period. Of course I didn't have to do any lesson plans or anything back then which helped but the children are great and every day something new happens.

Is that observation a new part of the 4 year course? My brother is in his second year in Pats and I've never heard him mentioning something like before.

Yea, the assignments are tied into the lessons that we'll be teaching so a large chunk of the work can be done before I finish up in the school. It'll then just be a case of researching other material and writing it all up.

I'm more focused than I've been for years. I used to always float by and get on alright but I really want to push myself this year. Results aren't everything but if you can get a high mark in your teaching practice then it does look good in an interview. Hopefully this time next year I'll have a job in either London or Manchester.

Don't let your assignments build up. I did that the whole time during my undergrad. In my final year, just before Christmas, I had my lit. review for my thesis (1,500 words), a qualitative analysis paper (around 2,000 words in total) and a weekly journal for Sociology all due in the same week. I had none of them started. I handed in the lit. review on the Wednesday, the qual. paper on the Friday and we were given an extension on the journal, thankfully. That nearly killed me.

I researched books/sites, looked back through 14 lecture notes and wrote 35 A4 pages over the course of the Saturday and Sunday. We were supposed to do it as we went along but I never bothered. It was on the topic of gender as well. I think I wrote something about rap in it. Can't remember fully.

Ended up with 65% in the lit. review, 65% (and I was top of the class) in the qualitative analysis and I managed to snake a 50% in the journal.

The moral is you can get by in college by doing little work. You'll pay for it though with an awful lot of sleepless nights. Don't be silly, do your work on time.

Oh yea and I still went out twice that week. I've no idea how I managed to get all the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

dont see myself making it into school tomorrow, I am a mess at the moment, why do i do this?!

Very good. It's a great occupation. I did a bit of teaching last year and I found that I ended up liking it even more after being in the class for a sustained period. Of course I didn't have to do any lesson plans or anything back then which helped but the children are great and every day something new happens.

Is that observation a new part of the 4 year course? My brother is in his second year in Pats and I've never heard him mentioning something like before.

Yea, the assignments are tied into the lessons that we'll be teaching so a large chunk of the work can be done before I finish up in the school. It'll then just be a case of researching other material and writing it all up.

I'm more focused than I've been for years. I used to always float by and get on alright but I really want to push myself this year. Results aren't everything but if you can get a high mark in your teaching practice then it does look good in an interview. Hopefully this time next year I'll have a job in either London or Manchester.

Don't let your assignments build up. I did that the whole time during my undergrad. In my final year, just before Christmas, I had my lit. review for my thesis (1,500 words), a qualitative analysis paper (around 2,000 words in total) and a weekly journal for Sociology all due in the same week. I had none of them started. I handed in the lit. review on the Wednesday, the qual. paper on the Friday and we were given an extension on the journal, thankfully. That nearly killed me.

I researched books/sites, looked back through 14 lecture notes and wrote 35 A4 pages over the course of the Saturday and Sunday. We were supposed to do it as we went along but I never bothered. It was on the topic of gender as well. I think I wrote something about rap in it. Can't remember fully.

Ended up with 65% in the lit. review, 65% (and I was top of the class) in the qualitative analysis and I managed to snake a 50% in the journal.

The moral is you can get by in college by doing little work. You'll pay for it though with an awful lot of sleepless nights. Don't be silly, do your work on time.

Oh yea and I still went out twice that week. I've no idea how I managed to get all the work done.

Yeah i still have doubts whether this is for me but I think once I get into the classroom it'll hopefully all make sense...it's always been the one occupation in my head ever since I left Primary School.

Yep, brand new for the 4 year degree...Yeah my cousin is in her final year (3rd year) and she's always slagging me saying we've it so soft and all that...I can only imagine the work load in a 3 year degree....

Good to see you've got into a groove :) All the best with everything! I always found that once I got focused and started I could achieve everything I wanted and I'm just waiting to cop myself on...I've a handful of 300-500 reflections to do for next month, two 1000 essays for the same time, a 1600 one due for nov 6th which I haven't even researched for and two 300 one's which i have one done....I think I'm gonna stay in this week and really knuckle down.It's frightening what I can achieve in a small amount of time. I got 370 in the mocks with no study, and with only one month of pure hard studying I ended up with 510 in the real thing...

That is bloody crazy!!!! Holy god that is some story to tell. I hope to God I'll never have to do that. I could probably get one assignment done in 4-7 hours of hard work...definitely must start motoring.

I've decided I'm going to stay up later each night to do work regardless of fatigue...I normally finish my work at 10 and that's with "breaks"...if I could get 3-4 hours each night of solid work after dinner I'd be sailing....

The going out thing really is killing me...I'm such a lunatic for it. Thank god I've calmed down a lil but jeees it's taking over so much...

Yeah i still have doubts whether this is for me but I think once I get into the classroom it'll hopefully all make sense...it's always been the one occupation in my head ever since I left Primary School.

Yep, brand new for the 4 year degree...Yeah my cousin is in her final year (3rd year) and she's always slagging me saying we've it so soft and all that...I can only imagine the work load in a 3 year degree....

Good to see you've got into a groove :) All the best with everything! I always found that once I got focused and started I could achieve everything I wanted and I'm just waiting to cop myself on...I've a handful of 300-500 reflections to do for next month, two 1000 essays for the same time, a 1600 one due for nov 6th which I haven't even researched for and two 300 one's which i have one done....I think I'm gonna stay in this week and really knuckle down.It's frightening what I can achieve in a small amount of time. I got 370 in the mocks with no study, and with only one month of pure hard studying I ended up with 510 in the real thing...

That is bloody crazy!!!! Holy god that is some story to tell. I hope to God I'll never have to do that. I could probably get one assignment done in 4-7 hours of hard work...definitely must start motoring.

I've decided I'm going to stay up later each night to do work regardless of fatigue...I normally finish my work at 10 and that's with "breaks"...if I could get 3-4 hours each night of solid work after dinner I'd be sailing....

The going out thing really is killing me...I'm such a lunatic for it. Thank god I've calmed down a lil but jeees it's taking over so much...

Yea, you have it handy. We have to cram everything into 9 months. It's a bit mad.

Ah ya'll be grand with them. The 300-500 word assignments are always handy. Even the 2,000 word essays. I knocked one out in a day once. Again, I would strongly recommend not doing that.

Work should be high up on your priorities but don't stop going out either. In a couple of years time, if everything works out, you'll have a job and you can say good bye to the days of going out on a Wednesday and not waking up on the Thursday morning until 12 or 1 and only having to stumble in and take a note or two at a lecture.

I usually don't start working until late in the evening. I'd be only getting into my stride at 10. I'll have to change that now that I've to get up at 6 but the late nights don't worry me all that much. Can always sleep at the weekend :pac:. I have a 24 hour computer room beside my house so I can go in there to do a bit of printing any time I want.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just my bit of advise, do as much work in school and college as you can, but have a good balance of having a great time.
    I got it wrong the first 2 years of college and just had a good time. Ended up failing my second year and being an idiot, not repeating my exams, ended up repeating the whole 2nd year again. I pretty much had to start from scratch my second time in second year to catch up.
    My final year was also pretty intense with all night studying and dissertations for pretty much the entire year.....with a bit of partying thrown in.

But it's all payed off for me now. In my working day I would easily bang out a couple of documents that would be the equivilent of an assignment from college....although now it's just second nature to me and I dont have to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Any reggae fans? one of the lads whacked this on when we were playing fifa yesterday, nice to see top notch reggae is still being made in recent years, sounds like something straight out of the 70s if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just my bit of advise, do as much work in school and college as you can, but have a good balance of having a great time.
    I got it wrong the first 2 years of college and just had a good time. Ended up failing my second year and being an idiot, not repeating my exams, ended up repeating the whole 2nd year again. I pretty much had to start from scratch my second time in second year to catch up.
    My final year was also pretty intense with all night studying and dissertations for pretty much the entire year.....with a bit of partying thrown in.

But it's all payed off for me now. In my working day I would easily bang out a couple of documents that would be the equivilent of an assignment from college....although now it's just second nature to me and I dont have to think about it.

Aye, I was notorious for leaving everything until the last minute, all nighters were killer. Loaded up on red bull, coffee, water, boards of canada music to get me through. I really would not recommend them to anyone, they can be fun but your work suffers,and the next day you are dead.

I ended up when doing my dissertation leaving it until the night before as well, my laptop died and I hadn't backed up anything. Quite regretful about that because the first half of it when done in proper time was great. :(:mad:

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Aye, I was notorious for leaving everything until the last minute, all nighters were killer. Loaded up on red bull, coffee, water, boards of canada music to get me through. I really would not recommend them to anyone, they can be fun but your work suffers,and the next day you are dead.

I ended up when doing my dissertation leaving it until the night before as well, my laptop died and I hadn't backed up anything. Quite regretful about that because the first half of it when done in proper time was great. :(:mad:

There is nothing worse than that feeling when you feel like you've done something really good and then the laptop crashes or dies or whatever and you lose it all. That happened to me last year, and I just sat there and cried for five minutes before attempting to start again. Worst night ever.

There is nothing worse than that feeling when you feel like you've done something really good and then the laptop crashes or dies or whatever and you lose it all. That happened to me last year, and I just sat there and cried for five minutes before attempting to start again. Worst night ever.

been their and bought the t shirt, most annoying is people asking did you save the work:mad:

Also props to the referee in the chelsea game, Man utd probably could have got more decisions but he called it fair and square.:p

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    been their and bought the t shirt, most annoying is people asking did you save the work:mad:

Ugh, yeah. I wouldn't be sitting here, crying and stressed and tired if I'd saved the bloody work.

Ugh, yeah. I wouldn't be sitting here, crying and stressed and tired if I'd saved the bloody work.

No offence but I can never understand why people don't save their work as they go along. I have an obsession with pressing ctrl + s when I'm doing an assignment or a lesson plan.

Usually save it to a USB key, then after that save it to my computer and upload it to Dropbox as well. It takes about 1 minute but it's invaluable in the long run.

The USB key is a dodgy one though. I went into the computer room in college a few weeks back and printed off something at 8.30 in the morning. At 4 I realised that I couldn't find the key. Went back to the computer I was at and found it still there.

I also nearly lost my friends folder that day as well. I'd have never lived that down. Very lucky with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Usually save it to a USB key, then after that save it to my computer and upload it to Dropbox as well. It takes about 1 minute but it's invaluable in the long run.

Invaluable and free. Dropbox (2GB which is plenty, you can get up to 10GB I think with referrals) is free and colleges hand out usb all the time. You also likely getting free online storage in the college too.

Ah dropbox...must make one of those. The ICT fella told me to get up on that cloud storage thing but we had those lectures on friday morning at 9 and I was out every thursday night so yeah :L

Cheers lads!!

You get 500MB more if you get someone to sign up and they have a college email. You both get 500MB more free. I have 8.8GB storage for free from doing that, still get random people from an email I sent out ages ago signing up.

No offence but I can never understand why people don't save their work as they go along. I have an obsession with pressing ctrl + s when I'm doing an assignment or a lesson plan.

Because I don't have an obsession with pressing ctrl+s and I'm usually just in the work at that moment and don't think to save it, just keep writing as that's all I'm thinking about at that moment.

Invaluable and free. Dropbox (2GB which is plenty, you can get up to 10GB I think with referrals) is free and colleges hand out usb all the time. You also likely getting free online storage in the college too.

Yea my uncle told me about it. I've found it to be brilliant. I should use it more than I do. Being able to access your documents anywhere in the world is one of the greatest advantages of the internet, in my opinion.

Well that and porn.
    Because I don't have an obsession with pressing ctrl+s and I'm usually just in the work at that moment and don't think to save it, just keep writing as that's all I'm thinking about at that moment.

Well it's not really an obsession. It's more of a tic that I have when writing. If I write a sentence or two I'll usually just save it. I'd very rarely go past 5/6 sentences without doing so, unless I'm totally focused on what I was writing.

It's also probably a natural reaction that I have to the fear of losing a couple of thousands words worth of material. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Well it's not really an obsession. It's more of a tic that I have when writing. If I write a sentence or two I'll usually just save it. I'd very rarely go past 5/6 sentences without doing so, unless I'm totally focused on what I was writing.

It's also probably a natural reaction that I have to the fear of losing a couple of thousands words worth of material. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Yeah, when I get into I just don't think about it, I'm just completely into whatever I'm doing.

Yeah, when I get into I just don't think about it, I'm just completely into whatever I'm doing.

You can set word or LO/OO or whatever you are using to auto-save every x seconds or minutes if you want. You can always undo/edit but you can't make it re-appear as easily.

ctrl-s is muscle memory to me at this stage, which is annoying sometimes when using google docs or gmail...

• Advertisement

So what are people doing for Halloween? Dressing up/partying?

Advertisement