Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

floggg wrote: »
    Not looking good for Mayo :(

Poor ol' Mayo. :( I was planning on getting so drunk if they won. I got a little drunk anyways, but still. Donegal were the better team, fair play to them. Just hoping now that Galway will bring the Liam McCarthy to Connaught!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I thought that I'd drop in a little tale from my night last night. Me and the missus went out to a Japanese restaraunt last night. When walking back to the car, we seen loads of squad cars in the general area where we parked. As we got closer we realised there was a Guard rooting around in our car and the 3 squad cars were there for our car! The guard jumped out and told us the car was broken in to, then we noticed all the broken glass. The Guard gave us some of the stuff he retrieved, when asked how he got it, they said they caught the guy, and pointed him out in the back of one of the cars. Excellent news. Of course, I started asking how they caught him, did they have to chase him down, follow up on leads etc. The answer was no. It was the easiest arrest they ever made. The crook fell asleep in the car.Dublins Dumbest Criminal.

Haha, I can't decide if that guy is a tool or an absolute legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Few mates i've started hanging out with more recently are well into their hip hop. I suss people out many ways, but music is always the first, they were talkin to me bout OutKast, Big L, GZA you name it so I knew they had taste.

Wasn't prepared for when I met one of the lads da's tho, carryout and few smokes at his gaff, I just had him down as any old middle aged man trying to hang around with the young lads to be cool. He quotes me "Escargot, my car go, one sixty, swiftly" when I asked him if he knew about Biggie Smalls. He had rappers delight, was quoting the streets lyrics to me, you name it. Surprised and impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Was over with a few friends last night. Got into the house before everyone else so I positioned myself right beside the laptop.

The tunes your boy has are dodgy enough so I had a difficult enough time trying to find some decent rap songs. To be fair to him he had Shutterbugg, Stankonia, a good bit of Kanye's earlier stuff but that was it really.

I would bring over my own iPod the next time but I know I will have no friends left after the night's over :P.

Back in college once I threw on my iPod at the very end just before we were leaving. Threw on some Curren$y or Gangsta Gibbs or something just to see how long it'd take before everyone left the kitchen. They were gone by the end of the song :D.

Out of interest, what other music do people listen to? Any particular favourite musicans outside of the hip hop genre?

For me, I absolutely love The Smiths and there's a lot of soul music like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Dusty Springfield, etc. that I love and groups like The Temptations and the Ronettes and the Shangri-Las. Also love Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra. Don't mind a bit of the Beatles from time to time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Out of interest, what other music do people listen to? Any particular favourite musicans outside of the hip hop genre?

For me, I absolutely love The Smiths and there's a lot of soul music like Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Dusty Springfield, etc. that I love and groups like The Temptations and the Ronettes and the Shangri-Las. Also love Billie Holiday and Frank Sinatra. Don't mind a bit of the Beatles from time to time too.

apart from hiphop, listen to alot of older stuff, the eagles, neil young, the doors, bobdylan, jimi hendrix and when im hammered drnk a bit of bat out of hell:)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Apart from hip hop i mainly listen to deep house, funky house, minimal techno.
    But i listen to a bit of everything really, like bruce springsteen, neil young, stone roses, roy orbison, some soul and jazz.
    A good bit of reggae aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Apart from hip hop, a bit of reggae like toots and the maytals, bob marley, peter tosh, recently inherited a Bob Marley vinyl, quite nice. I'm a big stone roses fan, was devastated i didnt get to see them live back in july, i'm into classic rock, Zeppelin, Neil Young, Peter Frampton, Jimi, Pink Floyd. Listen to the odd bit of 90s dance, people like future sound of london and orbital and chicanes earlier stuff.

At the moment the band i'm listening to the most is The xx, best band to come out of the past 10 or so years if you ask me, their first album is just excellent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I listen to a mish mash of everything really. The Ramones, Radiohead, Led Zep, The Zombies, Jack White (and his assortment of music), Black Keys, Parliment, funkadelic, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye.....the list goes on and on. My favorite album outside of Hip Hop is defintely Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies.
    Also have a huge soft spot for Pheonix and The Arcade Fire.
    Cold War Kids are also excellent.

So it can be anything from Rock, to Soul, Funk RnB, Jazz, Blues that I'd listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Hip Hop is the wife, everything else is the mistress.

Johnny Cash, Queens of the Stone Age, Fleetwood Mac, Aphex twin, The Offspring. Loads more, everything else in between but those are a few of the main ones.

• Advertisement

Chilli Peppers are my favourites.

Like a bit of classical. Did some Mozart and Berlioz back in school. They were geniuses.

My dad introduced me to Little Richard a while back. Must say I liked his songs.

Have to include Bruce. Don't know too many who don't like him.

Lonnie Donegan is another favourite. He was my dad's favourite artist when he was growing up as well. Also, John Lennon and Paul McCartney were influenced by him. Lennon's first band, the Quarrymen, was a skiffle band. Skiffle was the style of music made popular by Lonnie in the '50s. Ringo also joined a skiffle band around that time as well.

Out of The Quarrymen grew The Beatles. As well as them, Brian May (Queen), Roger Daltray (The Who) and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) all list him as one of their main influences.

He is a criminally under-rated part of the British music scene. I know it's a big statement to make but I think British music may not have reached the heights that it did in the 60s, 70s and 80s without Lonnie Donegan. He lead the way in the UK (with all of his charting hits) and in the US (he was the first UK male artist to record two US Top 10 hits) and, in the words of Roger Daltray, he helped to make the aspiring musicians of the day "feel like (they) could actually go out and do it".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Absolutely everything, although not that into dance/trance/techno.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I listen to a mish mash of everything really. The Ramones, Radiohead, Led Zep, The Zombies, Jack White (and his assortment of music), Black Keys, Parliment, funkadelic, Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye.....the list goes on and on. My favorite album outside of Hip Hop is defintely Odessey and Oracle by The Zombies.
    Also have a huge soft spot for Pheonix and The Arcade Fire.
    Cold War Kids are also excellent.

So it can be anything from Rock, to Soul, Funk RnB, Jazz, Blues that I'd listen to.

Have you ever seen Arcade Fire live? They are incredible.

My favourite album outside of hip hop is probably The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths or Odelay by Beck (although that's pretty hip hop influenced).

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have you ever seen Arcade Fire live? They are incredible.

My favourite album outside of hip hop is probably The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths or Odelay by Beck (although that's pretty hip hop influenced).

Havent seen them live, only video's of live performances which look incredible.
    I was supposed to see them once upon a time at a festival, cant remember which one, and cant remember why I never got to the stage. Probably because of drink, most likely.
    I missed James Brown for the same reason at another festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I would say I listen to 80 - 90% hip-hop.

Anything else I do listen to tends to be within the same musical family - a lot of reggae, some soul and a maybe some chart dance type music.

I just kind of get bored listening to most other stuff. Without the drums and rapping, I kinda find it to keep an interest.

I listen to mainly rock and soul music aside from hip hop.

Been getting into the blues recently. Highly recommend an album by Eric Bibb called Bookers Guitar, one of my favourite albums from the last few years.

I'm a bit of an Oasis/Noel Gallagher Stan.

And this is from probably my favourite band of the last couple of years

I'm on a major Kanye buzz at the moment and i just remembered that lad Grav that somebody here was talking about a while back, listened through Down To Earth, his first album, and i have to say it's about as good as kanye's production gets, every track he contributed to is just brilliant. Went looking for a copy of the album on Amazon and Play.com, found like 2 on amazon and they were asking ridiculous prices and nothing came up on play.com, anywho, what a fúcking album!! and what a rapper too, he reminds me of Keith Murray and Busta somehow?! Anybody else (apart from boom_bap who knows every rapper under the sun :p) ever listen to this lad? if not, stop what you're doing and listen through this album on youtube.

Yea I was the one that found him in the first place, before Boom Bap waded in and imparted his wisdom on the situation :P. Some great songs on it.

Track number 8, "Line by Line", features the first verse that Kanye every laid on a proper song. He was only 19. It's like seeing a video of Messi or Rooney playing soccer when they were 4.

That Grav dude is seriously interesting.

At about 5 minutes in in the video below Grav talks about meeting Kanye for the first time and introducing him to No I.D. Makes for a great story. He essentially launched Kanye's career. I hope that Kanye has found some way to pay him back :PAC:.

RZA filling in for Ray William Johnson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Gutted with the hurling :( still the craic was had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I like lots like everyone here, stuff like Arcade Fire, Interpol, some Dance music like Boards of Canada, The Field, Gui Boratto and also I like really good pop music. Stuff from Robyn, Kimbra to name a few.

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Gutted with the hurling :( still the craic was had!

It wasn't the greatest match but I'll take any win. Can't be too picky, especially after the classic from three weeks ago.

I celebrated the win by playing a pretty wild game of pictionary with a few friends. Some game so it is. I also finished off a few crosswords too. I became very competitive after all the hurling I think :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

It wasn't the greatest match but I'll take any win. Can't be too picky, especially after the classic from three weeks ago.

I celebrated the win by playing a pretty wild game of pictionary with a few friends. Some game so it is. I also finished off a few crosswords too. I became very competitive after all the hurling I think :P.

Ye must be used to it now, we'd die for just one win! Next year I guess, who knows?

Part in bold reminds me of this:

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Ye must be used to it now, we'd die for just one win! Next year I guess, who knows?

Part in bold reminds me of this:

We are and we aren't. The build up to the matches is pretty much over-looked now. I remember back in '98 we had a march through KK city in support of the team. You'd barely find a few flags around the place now.

Once the match starts then it's just like being in the first final all over again. Nervous as anything and just wanting to win.

Haha we actually sang the proper Countdown music to annoy the girls on the other team :P.

Felt sorry for Galway. I think the draw was their best chance though, couldn't see them getting another chance like that to beat Kilkenny. Wish it could have been at least a closer match.

I'd join in on your discussion but i know fúck all about GAA, more of a boxing fan, speaking of boxing this lad always has the finest hip hop in his highlight videos.

This is a personal favourite of his videos, Riddick Bowe who just happens to be one of the greatest heavyweights of all time, Cuttin headz by ODB and Dirty Rotten scoundrels by Jeru, animal video!

I had a pretty mad idea the other day about teaching a class to write a rap song. It all depends on what class I have on my teaching practice. I'll either have year 4 (3rd class) or year 6 (5th class). It'll also depend on what they are doing in the class and if there is enough room to manoeuvre within the set themes for the year.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it. If I did then it'd be brilliant. It covers English and music in one and then brings in other requirements of the Welsh curriculum that you need to have in every lesson.

If I do it I'd probably have them write their own poems that would be turned into raps. Then a few of the children will get to perform their masterpieces. The rest of the class will provide some backing tracks for them. Hopefully I'll then be able to record all of it and we'll have one big long song with about 5/6 'verses' on it.

My question for everyone on here is does anyone know of any child friendly rap songs?

I'd be using these as an example at the start of the lesson. Almost all of the kids would know about rap songs from hearing the likes of Eminem (:)), Nicki Minge (:() or Drake (:() on the radio. Obviously I couldn't use any of their songs. Can't use any of the songs on my iPod either.

I only know of one song that is aimed at children, "Rat Rapping" by Roland Rat. It's actually pretty good. Very ahead of it's time as well. It was released way back in 1983.

So is anyone able to help me out?

And no mentions of the Wu Tang Clan please. I know Wu Tang is for the children but they're not quite what I'm looking for :P.

Will Smith

It might be a bit too aimed at children, but something like this?

Or what about I Can by Nas

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Will Smith

Good shout. I'll have to have a look through his albums and find something suitable.
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    It might be a bit too aimed at children, but something like this?

That's exactly what I'm looking for. How did you manage to find that?

Basically, I'm just looking for a few simple songs that have topics that children might be able to relate to. A rapping giraffe is funny and the song rhymes.
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    Or what about I Can by Nas

I'd love to be able to include some Nas but there are a few dodge lines in there. The last thing I want is children going home and telling their parents they heard HIV mentioned in a song in school :pac:.

I think I might have found the perfect 'classic' song to play for them. "I Know You Got Soul" by Eric B. and Rakim. There isn't a single curse in it and he's talking about something simple enough, soul.

"I Ain't No Joke" is the exact same. If I get a chance to do this then these kids will know more about rap than almost everyone that I know :pac:.

Just remembered there that I could play them some music by my man Emcee Jermaine.

There is some unbelievable word play and rhymes in all of those songs. We could spend ages dissecting them.

Advertisement