Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Or what about I Can by Nas

I'd love to be able to include some Nas but there are a few dodge lines in there. The last thing I want is children going home and telling their parents they heard HIV mentioned in a song in school :pac:.

Sad reflection on the world when patents would get pissed off with a teacher for letting their kids know what HIV is!

Fresh Prince of Bel Air would be a good one to play them. You could show them the opening credits on YouTube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

floggg wrote: »
    Sad reflection on the world when patents would get pissed off with a teacher for letting their kids know what HIV is!

Fresh Prince of Bel Air would be a good one to play them. You could show them the opening credits on YouTube as well.

Well it's more because I want to avoid any controversy than the parent's fault to be honest. For the year that I'm in college and being assessed, if I can avoid anything that is even a little out there then I'll be doing well.

Obviously there's a time and place for learning about HIV and other things like that but a music/English lesson from a trainee teacher isn't one of them I don't think :P. I'll let their class teacher deal with that for now.

The Fresh Prince is a very good one. The credits are very good as well. Thanks.

Keep them coming :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah, I recall a few people in the music class when I was in school coming up with a rap to the tune of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. It's a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Good shout. I'll have to have a look through his albums and find something suitable.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. How did you manage to find that?

You may know him as Wax's brother Herbal T

He has a kid now so put a group together for kids called Little Scrubs. ALbum out next month ;)

These are the only others released so far

He actually kills it with his verse in this one lol

Not really a rap tune but hey

Andy_rse wrote: »
    You may know him as Wax's brother Herbal T

No way. I'd never have thought it was Herbal T. Wax is one of my favourite rappers. This is unreal. I haven't listened to Herbal as much as Wax. Definitely will now though.

Just listened to the songs there. They are pretty class.

Wouldn't be able to play that Christmas one in the class though :P. Have to avoid all mention of it or else I'd completely lose them for the rest of the day.

Definitely going to have to keep an eye out for the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Most stuff from the 80's. I Need Love, it's like that, Hey Young World and The Message etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Any of the Native Tongues stuff, like Tribe or De La, or even Queen Latifah is normally happy stuff with accessible beats and simple rhyme schemes to mimic.

On another note, anyone pick up Fifa 13 (PS3) here? I just got it today and will be looking for some online play. I'm pretty wack so far, I'm an old Pro Evo type and get the shoot and long pass buttons mixed up all the time :)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm an old Pro Evo type and get the shoot and long pass buttons mixed up all the time :)

I still think Pro Evo is a better game, despite its worse graphics and stadiums etc

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

Well it's more because I want to avoid any controversy than the parent's fault to be honest. For the year that I'm in college and being assessed, if I can avoid anything that is even a little out there then I'll be doing well.

Obviously there's a time and place for learning about HIV and other things like that but a music/English lesson from a trainee teacher isn't one of them I don't think :P. I'll let their class teacher deal with that for now.

The Fresh Prince is a very good one. The credits are very good as well. Thanks.

Keep them coming :).

The Regiment of Detroit are unfailingly wholesome

strange fruit project

Ohmega Watts

or this classic - can partner with modern languages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Try this. Cube's kicking it for the kids.

No, probably not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I still think Pro Evo is a better game, despite its worse graphics and stadiums etc

i've always been a fan of Pro Evo, but I think that Fifa has just edged it now. Fifa has basically copied the great stuff from PE and sprinkled it with smother graphics and better control. The one thing that is annoying so far in Fifa is that you have to use the analogue stick instead of the D-Pad....i believe the same is happening in the latest Pro Evo as well.

Heading to a friend's BBQ/birthday party tonight. I've been banned from going near the laptop. Mainly cause everyone there will despise the music that I put on. I will find my way in there though.

He doesn't have all that much rap on it. I'd say "Trouble On My Mind" and "Next Episode" is the extent of it to be honest.

Heading to a friend's BBQ/birthday party tonight. I've been banned from going near the laptop. Mainly cause everyone there will despise the music that I put on. I will find my way in there though.

He doesn't have all that much rap on it. I'd say "Trouble On My Mind" and "Next Episode" is the extent of it to be honest.

As long as you're not a song skipper. Those people are the devil. Anyone who plays the first minute and a half or so of a song and then changes it are among my least favourite people.

As long as you're not a song skipper. Those people are the devil. Anyone who plays the first minute and a half or so of a song and then changes it are among my least favourite people.

Yea I'm one of those. Sorry.

I managed to get hold of the laptop and put on "Shutterbugg". Everyone was well on at that stage and they didn't realise.

The DJ in the nightclub played "Next Episode". It was going perfectly up until he decided to cut out the "smoke weed errday" part. I mean that's what you listen to the song for. It's terrible to cut that part out.

Heard a terrible song tonight. "Fly By II" by Blue. The very first few notes that are played are taken from "Hypnotize" by Biggie. I doubt he'd have been happy to find out that Blue used that sample, even though it wasn't his in the first place.

Yea I'm one of those. Sorry.

I would have to turn you away at the door of my house party.

I would have to turn you away at the door of my house party.

Ah I'm not that bad to be honest. At least I'd put on music that you'd like. Some of the stuff that was played last night was truly horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Anyone download Macklemore's debut album yet? It's been #1 on iTunes USA for most of the week.

Absolutely brilliant album. So many great songs.. Listen out for A Wake, Jimmy Iovine and Make The Money ;)

The guy's gonna be huge!

Ah I'm not that bad to be honest. At least I'd put on music that you'd like. Some of the stuff that was played last night was truly horrific.

This is true. Usually when I'm at a house party, I just let people play whatever they want, which is usually Rihanna and the likes, and just put up with it. Majority rules and all that!

So I'm sitting here watching RTE JR with the young lad, a TV show called Yo Gabba Gabba, and f*cking Biz Markie appears teaching kids how to beat box. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Walked in on the oul one watching x factor last night only to see some fat bird absolutely butchering Gold Digger by Kanye with an acoustic guitar, worst thing i've seen and heard in about 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

What happened three years ago? :p

This is true. Usually when I'm at a house party, I just let people play whatever they want, which is usually Rihanna and the likes, and just put up with it. Majority rules and all that!

Yea I can't realy do that. I generally just wait until everyone gets drunk and then snoop in and throw on a few songs of my choice.

At least "Shutterbugg" is a quality tune and it's not as gangster a song as I could have put on. I really wish I had my iPod with me to put on some Freddie Gibbs :P.

Big Ghost (the Ghostface parody account on Twitter) has spoken on last nights presidential debate between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama.

To say it's funny would be an understatement. Whoever is behind it all has a serious talent for humour.
    Ayo whattup you now in the presence of the majestic divine ovary injector n panty melter…the grand imperial Cocaine Biceps aka Phantom Raviolis aka the illustrious Hands of Zeus…otherwise known as the one n only Big Ghost namsayin. Now normally I aint the type to be dabblin in no politics n ****…that aint really ya boys area of expertise like that nahmean. I aint really up on that governmental ****. Or lets jus say that was the case at one time nahmean. I been tryin to wet my feet in that pool for a minute yo. Bein that as I continue to grow as both a mutha****in man first n foremost n as a what niggas been referrin to as one of the greatest writers n thinkers of our times n whatever…I started to feel as tho it was my obligation as also jussa member of this society in various forms n fashions n whatever whatever to seek the light of knowledge n righteousness for not only myself…but for mutha****as ey’where namsayin. So the first step for me was I was gon stop allowin decisions to be made on my own behalfs n ****. So I was peepin the debate from last night…and yo word is bond…that **** started to make a lot a sense to the god all a sudden b. What I did right…was I got the actual transcripts n I studied that **** to allow me to manifest my purpose n **** yo. Then I took the **** that I felt that niggas needed a better comprehension of n I flipped that into some words n **** that regular mutha****as could actually understand namsayin. More important than that…I wanted to trim the fat n give you the straight talk behind what these niggas is sayin b. Cuz its almost like they speakin another language sometimes nahmean. I mean like…how regular folk really really pose to understand what em dudes is sayin b? Lemme give you a example yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Anyone know of any French hip-hop I can listen to as an excuse for studying for my LC? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Big Ghost (the Ghostface parody account on Twitter) has spoken on last nights presidential debate between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama.

To say it's funny would be an understatement. Whoever is behind it all has a serious talent for humour.

283520_10151271327725856_2046412070_n.jpg

i saw that big ghost one earler, that lad is hilarious, that pic above is a spoof of snoop doggs reasons to vote for obama

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Anyone know of any French hip-hop I can listen to as an excuse for studying for my LC? :D

There is loads. I was in Virgin Megastore in Rennes a couple of weeks ago, the French Hip Hop section was bigger than the rest of the world section :eek:

Try this blog out to see if you can find anything
    http://www.squidoo.com/french-hip-hop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Try some Suprême NTM, they're decent, only french stuff i've heard before, french is a great language for hip hop, very lyrical

Psy 4 de la Rime.

And then Soprano from the above group.

About 8 years ago I heard an album by them in a shop over in France. I used to go in every day to listen to it. I regret never buying it. It was brilliant.

This song is great. Haven't a clue of the lyrics but the beat is very good and they sound great over it.

They broke up a few years ago but Soprano is still going. He was on the BET Cypher last year. He killed it.

Rhyming 'dirty bastard' and DSK (as in the former head of the IMF) takes some serious talent.

Check some of his songs out.

You could use this as a practice for translating. The lyrics are on the screen. Great song.

YOUTUBE]v6Q6QAWnXdQ[/YOUTUBE]

On a side note, some girls that I went to school with just put up a picture of themselves in their Halloween costumes on Facebook. They have painted themselves completely black, are wearing basketball costumes and berets and holding baguettes and the tagline is 'Niggas in Paris'. :eek: When did blackface become OK for Halloween??

• Advertisement

Mc Solaar, I did this exact thing 6 years ago.

Advertisement