Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Options
  • 21-09-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Thought it would be handy to have a thread for people to talk about hip-hop in general, like for discussion which doesn't suit the Everything Else Hip-Hop, Hip-Hop 2012 etc threads. Maybe some off-topic chat also.

First thing is first, has anyone ever met a girl with a good taste in music? I find it almost impossible, whenever I bring up rap it seems they all just talk about Nicki Minaj and how they know all the lyrics to Love The Way You Lie :pac:

I think a good taste of music is a huge plus but I'm finding it impossible to meet any women with one. I think my dream girl is one who has Section 80, MBDTF, GRODT, Ready to Die, All Eyez On Me, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx etc on their iPod!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mr. Rager wrote: »

First thing is first, has anyone ever met a girl with a good taste in music? I find it almost impossible, whenever I bring up rap it seems they all just talk about Nicki Minaj and how they know all the lyrics to Love The Way You Lie :pac:

Not only have i met one girl with a good taste in hip hop but 3 in fact, one of them who i had a bit of a thing with for a while is a wu tang fanatic, she loves 36 chambers, it's always on repeat on her iPod. always talks to me about hip hop when we're out, i had never heard temperatures rising by mobb deep until she showed it to me one night :o. my kinda gal nonetheless.
    The other is my mates girlfriend who has a better taste in hip hop than he has, she listens to Pun and biggie and cube and tech and all sorts
    and the 3rd one is my mates little brothers girlfriend who is a massive nas biggie and tupac fan.

All these girls are teenagers as well, you'd be surprised with the taste of some of us youngsters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Good idea for a thread, been thinking about an off-topic one for a while, thought it would be good to have.

To answer your question, no. That goes for my mates too. They all either fall into 2 categories in terms of their music taste, really bad dance or metal. Any hip hop that ever gets brought up is as you say he really bad commercial nonsense. I seem to be on my own when it comes to music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I think a good taste of music is a huge plus but I'm finding it impossible to meet any women with one. I think my dream girl is one who has Section 80, MBDTF, GRODT, Ready to Die, All Eyez On Me, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx etc on their iPod!

I'm a girl....

I'm a girl....

tumblr_m3n2tsysQt1r5jm97.gif

Aye, it's true though. I know very few girls who are into hip hop. One of my closest friends is really into gangsta rap and loves Dr. Dre and NWA and all that side of things. I know another girl who is really into Mos Def and some newer people like Kendrick Lamar. That's kinda it though. I know a couple of lads who like old school stuff, but in general I know few people who are seriously into hip hop beyond what they hear on the radio and on the music channels, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've come accross a few females who know thier way around hip hop.
    My missus now is slowly starting to get into in, her latest facination is Q-Tip. She is more of a rock fan (she's a drummer as well) and listens to the likes of Radiohead, Jack White and Black Keys, but I like all that as well. I get amazed sometimes when I get back to the house ans her and the kids are dancing around the house litening to Atmosphere :)

I also met an interesting girl one time because of me listening to RJD2, it doesnt end up as being a PG 13 friendly story so wont be discussed here :)

Actually, come to think of it, all my close male friends are into hip hop, and their ladies all are slowly getting into it, or have liked it befire they got together.

Following on from something on the Macklemore thread...going to gigs alone. Anyone else gone to gigs by themselves? I've done it loads of times, either it being down to being a last minute thing or that no-one else is around or interested.
    But the funny thing is, when I go alone, I always end up meeting people at gigs I know and hanging with them.

I've gone to one gig alone and it was great! I just ended up meeting new people and having a great time with them. I think it's good to branch out and do things alone sometimes. People get way too attached to their friends to the point where they're unable to do anything without them.

It used to be I'd miss out on gigs due to not having anyone to go with but finally thought f*ck it, why should I miss out. Some people I know can't believe I go on my own but it's no big deal, like I said in the other post you usually end up chatting away to people and there are always others in the same position. As far as I'm concerned I go for the music not to hang out by the bar with mates, I can do that any time.

Might as well have gone to WTT alone, lost me mate 2 songs in and got caught up in mauling some bird, wouldnt mind going to gigs on my own tbh, it takes a lot less organising seeing as im always the one that's left to plan transport and book tickets and all that bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

I've gone to one gig alone and it was great! I just ended up meeting new people and having a great time with them. I think it's good to branch out and do things alone sometimes. People get way too attached to their friends to the point where they're unable to do anything without them.

Rocked up to the Pharaohe Monch gig after work on my own after mate bailed on. Was wearing a suit and everything going nuts to Simon Says at end of gig right up at the stage. All good :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Good idea for a thread.

To answer your question, NO!

I know a few guys who are into proper rap but the majority of people I know haven't a clue really. Two of my best friends think the world of Kid Cudi and Wiz Khalifa. They are constantly posting videos of their new songs to each other on Facebook. I've tried introducing them to Curren$y (who I think is head and shoulders above either of the other two) but they just keep on saying that he's garbage.

A girl I was with a few months back was into Frank Ocean. That's about it.

Another girl I went out with for a while was obsessed with The Script. She was very good looking though so I couldn't really hold it against her :P.

I introduced my sister to DJ Shadow last year. Then a couple of months later I was giving her a lift in the car and I had "Organ Donor" on repeat and she remembered the name of it. There's hope for her yet.

I'm not really sure if a girl who knew more about hip hop than me would be my "ideal girl". It's the same with Man United. I suppose I haven't really met/been with too many that would know a lot about United or hip hop so I can't be too certain.

As long as she was sensible enough to realise that hip hop is not all about bitches and hoes and that soccer is the greatest game in the world then I'd be happy with that. Oh and she'd have to have a nice rack and be a brunette as well :D.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Following on from something on the Macklemore thread...going to gigs alone. Anyone else gone to gigs by themselves? I've done it loads of times, either it being down to being a last minute thing or that no-one else is around or interested.
    But the funny thing is, when I go alone, I always end up meeting people at gigs I know and hanging with them.

I've gone to a few gigs on my own. I went to the recent Wu Tang concert on my own. No one else was around to go and I was definitely not missing out on it because I had no one to go with. Met up with some lads at it and then lost them when the concert started.

Very few of my friends are interested in rap so it makes going to gigs with them very difficult. I did go to WTT with one of my friends from back home. He really hasn't a clue about rap and just knows Kanye and Jay's hits really. He admitted during the summer that Lil Wayne is his favourite rapper.

I actually lost him when I got in there. Well, it was more like I said I was going to the front and he said he wasn't :P.

I prefer the freedom of going to things on your own to be honest. I'd never have gotten to the front row of WTT, the Wu concert or the RHCP concert in the o2 had I gone with someone (or stayed with them at it).

Being at the front mightn't mean much to most people but I have to be there when I go to things. Got to the front when Obama came to Dublin. Again, I went to that on my own. My housemate went to it as well (she never told me she was going) and she got caught up with friends. They ended up having to go into a pub halfway down Dame Street.

Obviously it'd be better going with your friends and having a laugh or whatever but I really don't care. If I did care then I'd have missed out on seeing a lot of great musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    All these girls are teenagers as well, you'd be surprised with the taste of some of us youngsters!
    All my friends are around the 17-18 mark and I literally only have around three or four that I can talk about hip-hop to, and needless to say none of those are girls :o count yourself lucky!
    I know a few guys who are into proper rap but the majority of people I know haven't a clue really. Two of my best friends think the world of Kid Cudi and Wiz Khalifa. They are constantly posting videos of their new songs to each other on Facebook. I've tried introducing them to Curren$y (who I think is head and shoulders above either of the other two) but they just keep on saying that he's garbage.

Hey! Cudi is fúcking amazing and I shan't have a bad word spoken about him! Can't say the same about Khalifa however. Are your friends fond of dat chronic? :P

Hey! Cudi is fúcking amazing and I shan't have a bad word spoken about him! Can't say the same about Khalifa however. Are your friends fond of dat chronic? :P

They like to think that they are. Their **** rolling skills restrict them from pursuing it with any depth.

It is a laugh hearing them trying to explain why Wiz is better than Curren$y. Apparently it's because "the chap smokes so much weed". They just completely ignore the fact that he puts out poor music.

Personally, I think that Curren$y is a "Black and Yellow" away from making the big time. Such a pity that Wiz released that anthem instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

On the point of friends liking rap, of my group of friends, only one can respect rap properly. I have a few who loves the commercial shite etc, but one of them who doesnt have internet etc and can find new rappers loves the shit i play him etc, he is in love with black hippy for example, he is the reason i find hope in playing my buddys songs ha, ps Im drunk, enjoy the gangsta musik fools :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I never know why people are scared to go to gigs or even cinema by themselves, they should know that nobody else is going to care that you are their alone, you won't be ostracised from soceity! Obviously company is preferred but so many people miss out on stuff they would love to see because they are to scared to see stuff by themselves.

Many football fans in here? Should be a good day of football ahead, Liverpool vs United and City vs Arsenal.

As a Liverpool fan I hope we beat United! Here's hoping that both sets of fans behave themselves too, I have a new found respect for Fergie after his comments this week.

There will be a mosaic covering 3 sides of Anfield for the first minute of the game which should be a sight to behold.

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Many football fans in here? Should be a good day of football ahead, Liverpool vs United and City vs Arsenal.

As a Liverpool fan I hope we beat United! Here's hoping that both sets of fans behave themselves too, I have a new found respect for Fergie after his comments this week.

There will be a mosaic covering 3 sides of Anfield for the first minute of the game which should be a sight to behold.

Yea. As you can probably tell I'm a United fan.

Just getting ready to head down to the pub for a bit of dinner and pints. Then it's straight up to the Irish pub for the Gaelic.

Really hope that today goes off without a hitch. Both sets of fans can chant whatever they want during any other match in the season, but not this one. A lot is at stake. A bit of cop on from the United fans is needed. Hopefully they have taken in what Fergie said in the letter and they respect the day that's in it.

A hat-trick from RVP and all of them set up by Rafael would be my perfect result. I'm in dire need of a good day in Fantasy Football.

Nevermind the soccer - UP MAYO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Many football fans in here?

Yes, Mayo vs Donegal should be great ;) (and the minors)

Yes, Mayo vs Donegal should be great ;) (and the minors)

Shouting for Mayo, I hope! ;)

• Advertisement

Shouting for Mayo, I hope! ;)

Considering Dublin are out, yes - unless I want to annoy several of my Ma's side of the family. You from Mayo?

Considering Dublin are out, yes - unless I want to annoy several of my Ma's side of the family. You from Mayo?

Was actually born and lived in Dublin until the age of about 11, and then my parents moved to Mayo, so yeah I guess I am! Would love to see them win it.

Was actually born and lived in Dublin until the age of about 11, and then my parents moved to Mayo, so yeah I guess I am! Would love to see them win it.

Alri, odd mix. Yeah either way it is good for the GAA. I would not bet on either side tbh.

Looking forward to the hurling more though.

Alri, odd mix. Yeah either way it is good for the GAA. I would not bet on either side tbh.

Looking forward to the hurling more though.

I go to college in Galway, so I'm shouting for them in the hurling.

Better for Hurling for them to win but my Da is from Kilkenny so.

I know very very few people who like hip-hop except the usual suspects and one or two odd random artists.

I know very very few people who like hip-hop except the usual suspects and one or two odd random artists.

Same as. I've gotten my older brother into hip hop recently (strange cos usually it would be the older sibling influencing the younger one, not the other way round), and he's been doing a lot of his own exploring in the genre and discovering which artists he likes. Among my friends, I know very few who like it in any serious way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I have only met one guy who was in anyway into hip-hop. He knew all the old school and mid-90's hip-hop. I told him about Kendrick Lamar and he became obsessed.

Only problem he was from Brooklyn and was just over here for a few weeks.

Just my luck that I'd meet the one gay guy with decent taste in music and he has to live a few thousand miles away!

Apart from that (ignoring the Nicki Minaj fans), the nearest I got was a guy who knew who the roots are!

Not looking good for Mayo :(

Speaking of Nicki Minaj, I only just realised that Starships song is her. I've heard it tonnes in clubs all summer but never realised who it was. I can't lie, I actually like it as a club/dance song.

floggg wrote: »
    Not looking good for Mayo :(

Well, it is not bad considering the wind and defending into the packed donegal hill.

All my close mates are into hip hop, their tastes are influenced by me, i'd arrive at the man cave, whack on an album and see what they thought, i introduced them to Nas and Jigga's older stuff, wu tang clan, rakim and ice cubes first 2 albums. They listen to all them people regularly, the only music they listen to that i dont like is The Game and any commercial dance music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    All my close mates are into hip hop, their tastes are influenced by me, i'd arrive at the man cave, whack on an album and see what they thought, i introduced them to Nas and Jigga's older stuff, wu tang clan, rakim and ice cubes first 2 albums. They listen to all them people regularly, the only music they listen to that i dont like is The Game and any commercial dance music.

My closest friends and me have a good backstory. I moved houses when I was 11, not as dramatic coast to coast move as Da Shins Kelly, still within the Northside of Dublin. The first people I met in primary school were the lads, sat beside 2 of them on my first day. But when we finished primary school, we went to different secondary's. One day I was coming home from football and met one of the lads again (The Expert), the reason he talked to me again is because I was wearing a Snoop t-shirt. We started shooting the breeze and turns out in the couple of years we'd been apart, we'd both fell in love with Hip Hop. Then we exchanged CDs and ound out that some of the other lads were into hip hop as well.
    So it was all about exchanging what we had and trying to find the next greatest album.
    We just got really into it from then on....even had our own little hip hop group for a while. So unlike others, I dont have to convince my mates to like it :) But other friends have gotten into it purely off listening while we are around, and probbaly because of how passionate we are when talking about it.

And I'm a LFC fan, not a happy camper, no way was that a Peno or a red card....well it was but Evans shoulda been sent marching as well. And the ref didnt give us a blantent peno.

I thought that I'd drop in a little tale from my night last night. Me and the missus went out to a Japanese restaraunt last night. When walking back to the car, we seen loads of squad cars in the general area where we parked. As we got closer we realised there was a Guard rooting around in our car and the 3 squad cars were there for our car! The guard jumped out and told us the car was broken in to, then we noticed all the broken glass. The Guard gave us some of the stuff he retrieved, when asked how he got it, they said they caught the guy, and pointed him out in the back of one of the cars. Excellent news. Of course, I started asking how they caught him, did they have to chase him down, follow up on leads etc. The answer was no. It was the easiest arrest they ever made. The crook fell asleep in the car.Dublins Dumbest Criminal.

Advertisement