Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Ugh. If there's one profession I could never excel in, it's teaching. No patience for that at all.

I love it. I hate the paperwork, but I love everything else about it.

The children are great. It's fantastic to see children who are struggling with some area of their school work finally get it right. The smile on their face makes up for all of the torment that they might give you.

Did I mention I hate the paperwork? There is so much of it. It'll get easier when/if I get a job but at the moment it's pretty horrific. I've done 5 hours after I got home from school, and I'm still not finished. I'm just on a break atm.

I nearly wish I was back doing the Leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I love it. I hate the paperwork, but I love everything else about it.

The children are great. It's fantastic to see children who are struggling with some area of their school work finally get it right. The smile on their face makes up for all of the torment that they might give you.

Did I mention I hate the paperwork? There is so much of it. It'll get easier when/if I get a job but at the moment it's pretty horrific. I've done 5 hours after I got home from school, and I'm still not finished. I'm just on a break atm.

I nearly wish I was back doing the Leaving.

I actually have a lot of admiration for people in that profession because I could never do it. Children are amazing, but I'm just not very good with them. Some people are just brilliant at interacting and engaging with children.

I actually have a lot of admiration for people in that profession because I could never do it. Children are amazing, but I'm just not very good with them. Some people are just brilliant at interacting and engaging with children.

Yea my brother is a bit like that. He is fantastic at talking to younger children. He's great with our cousins when we go visiting.

I think you just have to lose yourself in their world really. Leave all your inhibitions at the door in the morning. If you don't then you'll look and feel uncomfortable up in front of the class and then the children will pick up on it straight away.

I could do the whole office job thing, but I really wouldn't if I had a choice.

I wanted to be a solicitor when I was nearing the end of my time in secondary school. There's almost as many jobs in that as there are in teaching, none!

Yea my brother is a bit like that. He is fantastic at talking to younger children. He's great with our cousins when we go visiting.

I think you just have to lose yourself in their world really. Leave all your inhibitions at the door in the morning. If you don't then you'll look and feel uncomfortable up in front of the class and then the children will pick up on it straight away.

I wanted to be a solicitor when I was nearing the end of my time in secondary school. There's almost as many jobs in that as there are in teaching, none!

I should really be better than I am given I have five nieces and nephews. I've gotten better with them as they're getting older. My oldest nephew just turned 15, and if I may say so myself, I actually think he thinks I'm pretty cool. :D Small children though, forget it. I have no idea. If I ever decide to have my own children, hopefully I'll be better, but I couldn't work with children.

I think I'm more suited to jobs that require isolation and working alone and being my own boss.

What made you drift away from law?

What made you drift away from law?

The effort you having to do some study for the Leaving to get the points :pac:.

My dad always said that I'd make a good solicitor. I reckon I would have as well. What area I'd have gone into, I'm not sure. My cousin is a conveyancy solicitor. I don't think I'd like that. I always had dreams of being in court representing people and arguing the **** out of cases :P.

I switched about half way through 6th year I think. Back then I wasn't all that into the whole working side of the academic life. I was very good but lazy as sin. I've had to change.

Who knows, I may end up going down that path later on in life. I'm 22 now. I may not still be a teacher in 20/30 years time. I suppose if I really wanted I could do a Masters course that is linked to teaching and law, if one like that exists.

I think it's about time that I give up my dream of becoming a professional footballer and try to get a real job.

• Advertisement

The effort you having to do some study for the Leaving to get the points :pac:.

My dad always said that I'd make a good solicitor. I reckon I would have as well. What area I'd have gone into, I'm not sure. My cousin is a conveyancy solicitor. I don't think I'd like that. I always had dreams of being in court representing people and arguing the **** out of cases :P.

I switched about half way through 6th year I think. Back then I wasn't all that into the whole working side of the academic life. I was very good but lazy as sin. I've had to change.

Who knows, I may end up going down that path later on in life. I'm 22 now. I may not still be a teacher in 20/30 years time. I suppose if I really wanted I could do a Masters course that is linked to teaching and law, if one like that exists.

I think it's about time that I give up my dream of becoming a professional footballer and try to get a real job.

I think people have ideas about law that don't have much basis in reality - I think people think it's like a movie, when it's not really.

I still have no idea where I'm going. It's going to be something literature/writing related, but I'm still so undecided. I want to try my hand at everything! Makes it difficult to focus, as well as having other problems that affect my concentration anyway. I'm glad I'm learning a new language anyway. I'd hate to go through my life knowing nothing other than English.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm glad I'm learning a new language anyway. I'd hate to go through my life knowing nothing other than English.

When I was younger, i found learning new languages quite easy. When I started off in school, I went to an English speaking school, after a few years, I moved to an Irish speaking school and the transition was easy enough although my classmates where way ahead of me in the language. I studied Italian for my Junior and Leaving Certs and found it easy as well and got good marks.
    I kind of regret not going any further with languages.

Since then I've been picking up small bits of Arabic and Swahili just from conversation. I'm quite comfortable with greetings and pleasantries now......but not at the stage where I can haggle with Taxi drivers!

I've also been learning German, my wifepiece is German and the 2 kids are being brought up as bi-lingual, so I'm learning lots at home.

And besides that, I've been a Software Support Engineer for the past 7 years now in the same company. It's a pretty challenging job, any day can bring any type of new problem to look at, and sometimes it gets quite political. When I left college I wanted to be a developer, but I'm glad I fell into this side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ive been working with kids for the guts of 10 years now and I used to think like that with them. But a couple of years ago I changed my mindset for kids of 9/10 upwards.

Now I chat to them as i would my mates(barring the swearing and yore ma jokes of course). of course they will talk some nonsense like we all did but i find i can get them to concentrate more if im having normal conversations with them.

With the younger ones (3 yrs and up) though i completely agree and i find it an absolute blast. Everyday they will get upset but its forgotten about so quickly and they are back smiling again. absolutely love it

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Ive been working with kids for the guts of 10 years now and I used to think like that with them. But a couple of years ago I changed my mindset for kids of 9/10 upwards.

Now I chat to them as i would my mates(barring the swearing and yore ma jokes of course). of course they will talk some nonsense like we all did but i find i can get them to concentrate more if im having normal conversations with them.

With the younger ones (3 yrs and up) though i completely agree and i find it an absolute blast. Everyday they will get upset but its forgotten about so quickly and they are back smiling again. absolutely love it

Yea of course. I'm working with 7 year olds at the moment. They're in the transition period between infants and 'big school'. Some of them are still really innocent.

I've taught in 5th class for a while last year and I loved it. The children were responding to my questions and you were able to have a conversation with them.

If I was in 5th now I'd ask them about the election last night. Chances are a few of them might have heard about it at home and they'd be able to tell me something.

With the younger children you'd be just wasting your time. In a class of 30 maybe 1/2 might have a vague idea. The rest mightn't even know where or what America is.

Just completed my first week of teaching practice. Managed not to get any fail marks in my assessment. Got top marks for my planning so happy enough with that.

It's also my birthday today so I'll heading for about 65 pints tonight. Anyone who's around Bangor tonight is welcome to come along for a few ha.

• Advertisement

Just completed my first week of teaching practice. Managed not to get any fail marks in my assessment. Got top marks for my planning so happy enough with that.

It's also my birthday today so I'll heading for about 65 pints tonight. Anyone who's around Bangor tonight is welcome to come along for a few ha.

Happy birthday!

Is anyone thinking of going to Kendrick Lamar in January? I'm thinking of postponing my flight back to Spain after Christmas to go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Happy Birthday Jimmy, have a good one ye ould b*llix :D

Not sure about going to K.Dot yet. I'd love to but have to make sure i'm not travelling with work first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Happy birthday Jimmy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Good thread this lads, bita community goin on in here. Happy birthday Jimmay!

On a rap film buzz atm, watched CB4, Art of Rap, Bigge and Tupac & Beats Rhymes and life (ATCQ Doc) in the last month or so. Will be watching RZA's film very soon in the cinema.
    Any more suggestions?

Wu The Story Of The Wu-Tang Clan-2008 is downloading as we speak :cool:

ps. anyone know much about the Big L documentary that was supposed to be in the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

weemcd wrote: »
    Good thread this lads, bita community goin on in here. Happy birthday Jimmay!

On a rap film buzz atm, watched CB4, Art of Rap, Bigge and Tupac & Beats Rhymes and life (ATCQ Doc) in the last month or so. Will be watching RZA's film very soon in the cinema.
    Any more suggestions?

Wu The Story Of The Wu-Tang Clan-2008 is downloading as we speak :cool:

ps. anyone know much about the Big L documentary that was supposed to be in the works?

That wu tang documentary is on youtube in full afaik, well it was last time i checked :)
    There was a good documentary on channel 4 or bbc a while back, "how hip hop changed the world" worth a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Akala was hosting a great documentary on channel 4 Life of Rhyme is well worth a watch.

Happy birthday Jimmy, a bit late and you probably wouldn't even be likely able to read at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Happy birthday Jimmy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Happy birthday Jimmy :P

Good to see TP went well for you....keep up the good worK!

I'm a first year B.Ed student (Primary Teaching)

I was in school for the second time on Monday...teacher was missing so the head master took the class (1st class)...was a little worried to be in a class with the top guy but naaaa he's sound out and pretty relaxed...he's very enthusiastic for his age...he's not too old but you know most older teachers tend to be more blunt but this guy made learning real fun...you could tell he was a class full time teacher in his day...learned a lot from him and his methods...

but yeah almost forgot, he got me and my TP partner to do one lesson each on our own...mine was a basic reading lesson and asking the children q's but it was on the spot. like he asked me about an hour in advance would i do it and i was hardly gonna say no...but yeah loved it...after settling the kids down after break and telling a few hyper kids to sshhhh and focus it was clean sailing...it felt great being in command...I got some buzz from just getting them to shout the words of the story out with me...the head master said I did very well too...looking fwd to anymore lessons I can do :D

My god it was tiring though and I naturally have a loud voice and I could feel my voice going all raspy and dry a few hours later :P

Good stuff though, can't wait for monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Lots of teachers into their hip-hop, best type of teachers.

I am a Programmer.

Merci for the birthday wishes. It was a good one. Straight back to doing work now though.
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    Happy birthday Jimmy :P

Good to see TP went well for you....keep up the good worK!

I'm a first year B.Ed student (Primary Teaching)

I was in school for the second time on Monday...teacher was missing so the head master took the class (1st class)...was a little worried to be in a class with the top guy but naaaa he's sound out and pretty relaxed...he's very enthusiastic for his age...he's not too old but you know most older teachers tend to be more blunt but this guy made learning real fun...you could tell he was a class full time teacher in his day...learned a lot from him and his methods...

but yeah almost forgot, he got me and my TP partner to do one lesson each on our own...mine was a basic reading lesson and asking the children q's but it was on the spot. like he asked me about an hour in advance would i do it and i was hardly gonna say no...but yeah loved it...after settling the kids down after break and telling a few hyper kids to sshhhh and focus it was clean sailing...it felt great being in command...I got some buzz from just getting them to shout the words of the story out with me...the head master said I did very well too...looking fwd to anymore lessons I can do :D

My god it was tiring though and I naturally have a loud voice and I could feel my voice going all raspy and dry a few hours later :P

Good stuff though, can't wait for monday.

Good to hear that you like the teaching.

One tip. I had PE on Friday and had no control of the class. I was trying to talk over them. The teacher took me aside and told me to wait for them to stop talking. It might seem like it takes forever but it'll work. I did it anyway. Praised the children who were being quiet and waited for the others. Eventually they all copped on and I was able to talk again.

If you use that you'll be onto a winner and your voice will be fine after.

Don't try and talk over them. It's a recipe for disaster. It doesn't matter if you have a loud voice or not, you'll still strain it trying to talk over children.

Also if the teacher has any lollypop sticks in the class you should write the names of the children on them. Then use them as a questioning technique. You pick out a random stick and the child whose name is on it has to answer. It gets rid of the nightmare situation where you ask who knows the answer and the same three hands go up every time.

That transformed my lessons during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Anybody started using spotify? I signed up for a trial of the premium - looks like it could be pretty cool.

The collection seems pretty vast and up to date (unlike Netflix).

Can see myself using this a lot, especially to try out new music. I listen to most of my music on the phone so the premium app could be really good value.

I'm still not entirely sure what Spotify is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I'm still not entirely sure what Spotify is all about.

Free streaming of music, with a seemingly huge collection of music. Available free though premium version needed to listen via phones and sync music offline. €9.99 for premium I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I started using it 4/5 weeks ago. Massive database of music. Only thing annoying is the ads you get every 3/4 songs if your a cheapstake like me and havent paid the sub:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 280 ✭✭Yousef

Ah, Hip Hop....

Christ, I used to love it back when I was 17.

How times change. Enjoy it guys, because one day you'll wake up when you're older and think "god, that song is all about murder or theft" etc etc...

Not something I would ever want to condone or be associated with. And here's a heads up, lads...don't blast that stuff in your cars when you're driving around. You might think it makes you look cool or whatever, but the rest of us just think you're a flaming eejit and perhaps a sign of low intellect which, depending on ones taste in clothing, can only reinforce that assumption.

Don't say Yousef didn't help you out. Okay, have a good one.

Yousef wrote: »
    Ah, Hip Hop....

Christ, I used to love it back when I was 17.

How times change. Enjoy it guys, because one day you'll wake up when you're older and think "god, that song is all about murder or theft" etc etc...

Not something I would ever want to condone or be associated with. And here's a heads up, lads...don't blast that stuff in your cars when you're driving around. You might think it makes you look cool or whatever, but the rest of us just think you're a flaming eejit and perhaps a sign of low intellect which, depending on ones taste in clothing, can only reinforce that assumption.

Don't say Yousef didn't help you out. Okay, have a good one.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Reading the first two lines of his post, I thought he was gonna do his own version of I Used To Love H.E.R. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Yousef, fúck up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Yousef wrote: »
    Enjoy it guys, because one day you'll wake up when you're older and think "god, that song is all about murder or theft" etc etc...

Not something I would ever want to condone or be associated with.

Cool, Judging by your other posts at least you found COD and Grand Theft Auto and were able to leave behind your murdering and thieving associations, good for you lad.

Have a good one!

Advertisement