Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Hip-Hop/Off-Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been meaning to get around to The West Wing, but there is always something else that comes along that holds my interest more.
    I was on the verge of starting it once, but started to watch The Shield instead. I was hooked on The Shield, quality TV. And now I'm catching up on all the Shawn Ryan shows now as well. Just recently finished The Unit which is fairly entertaining.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    On Stephen Graham, absolutely brilliant actor, first saw him in This is England, clearly outshined ever other actor, then i started following him through This is England 86 and 88, he only got better despite his small appearance in 88.

First time I seen him was Human Traffic i think. His main problem is that he was always pigeon-holed as a british thug type actor, much like Danny Dyer is the brittish geezer type character.
    But the creators of Boardwalk have been able to translate that into a young Al Capone which is an excellent transition.
    I can only see his career taking off from here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

On Stephen Graham, absolutely brilliant actor, first saw him in This is England, clearly outshined ever other actor, then i started following him through This is England 86 and 88, he only got better despite his small appearance in 88.

The first time I saw him was in Snatch as Tommy. He's sensational in that. If you haven't seen it then it's well worth a watch.

One of my many favourite scenes with him as Al is this one. He does something I don't think anyone ever thought possible - makes the viewer feel sympathetic towards the most feared gangster of all-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The first time I saw him was in Snatch as Tommy. He's sensational in that. If you haven't seen it then it's well worth a watch.

Seems that'd be where i first saw him then as well, saw that a long time ago, before this is england was made anyway, just slipped my mind. Great film! :)

Seems that'd be where i first saw him then as well, saw that a long time ago, before this is england was made anyway, just slipped my mind. Great film! :)

I have This Is England on my hard drive. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Is it good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Sooo I just lost my job. Cue a load of great hip hop gigs being announced that I wont be able to afford to go to :D Was about to buy some Eminem tickets too after being convinced by a mate to go.

All hmvs in the north to close except the main one in Belfast. I assume all the stores on the south will close for good too as they havent even mentioned them since we went into administration. They really sold Ireland out!

I have This Is England on my hard drive. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Is it good?

It's a good movie, fairly hardcore if i remember correctly, maybe graphic is a better word than hardcore.
    Andy_rse wrote: »
    Sooo I just lost my job. Cue a load of great hip hop gigs being announced that I wont be able to afford to go to :D Was about to buy some Eminem tickets too after being convinced by a mate to go.

All hmvs in the north to close except the main one in Belfast. I assume all the stores on the south will close for good too as they havent even mentioned them since we went into administration. They really sold Ireland out!

Sorry to hear that man, I think all the HMVs down here are closed already. I hope that on your last day you brought in a big bag with SWAG written on it and took your redundancy in goods and merch? :D

This Is England is a great movie and very emotional! Wasn't a huge fan of the tv series though.

Boom Bap - The ones down south were "temporarily closed" due to laws that dont allow you to trade during administration. We have 4-6 weeks left, plenty of time to get the loot. Ipods and consoles to f*ck!

Sorry to hear. Hopefully something comes your way soon. If not, you can always apply for a job at Rap Genius. The 'bennies' (the cool peoples word for benefits it seems) are pretty sweet:
    • SICK salary & equity. You won’t be taking a pay cut to work here (unless you work for a hedge fund..)
    • Free bomb health insurance
    • Gym in the building
    • Free bike parking in the building

We have 4-6 weeks left, plenty of time to get the loot. Ipods and consoles to f*ck!

If you stock the Head-band replacements for Monster Inspiration headphones, think of me during your looting spree. :D

• Advertisement

Great film, set in early 80s england, a young lad who's dad died in the falklands war falls in with a group of skinheads, Stephen Graham plays Combo, the leader of the group, absolutely terrifying character, whatever you're doing right now, fùck it, watch this is england!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I've tried getting into Boardwalk Empire, but always end up giving up for some reason. I like Steve Buscemi usually but for some reason I'm not totally convinced by him on that show. I thought his appearance in The Sopranos was great though. Also tried to get into Sons of Anarchy, but that was another one I gave up on. Just didn't really think it was as good as everyone was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

+1 on this is England , excellent film. The series didn't really do it for me but Ye the film Is a must watch.

I have my mate and the father nagging in my ear about broadwalk and how good it is but I just havnt got around too watching it and I'd have to start from the beginning.

ATM I'm hooked on sons of anarchy season 5, excellent program and also looking forward to the new and last ever series of Spartacus on Monday night at 10 on sky 1. Also looking forward for game of thrones which should be rolling around fairly soon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm so pee'd off with Cougar Town now, it's just rehased stuff now. I was watching the most recent episode last night and I didnt find any laughs except for the stand-up comedy routine.

Well, first off thats not good but glad it is back I did not know it was back.
    Sorry to hear. Hopefully something comes your way soon. If not, you can always apply for a job at Rap Genius.

Plus they have been hiring for ages now, doesn't look like they have gotten anybody (or anybody good enough yet)

Also looking forward for game of thrones which should be rolling around fairly soon I think.

This is what I'm most looking forward to. I've been reading the books and on the 3rd one at the moment. There is some good stuff going to happen next season.

That rap genius job would be awesome :D

http://rapgenius.com/James-somers-herokus-ugly-secret-lyrics

They are still actively looking for someone, it is at the end of that post.

Any Joe Budden fans round these parts?

Anyone know anywhere online that I can buy physical copies of albums?

I've been looking for Ghostface's new album. I know it's early days yet, but I don't even know where to look now that HMV are gone. Amazon and Play.com are the only two sites that I really know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Anyone know anywhere online that I can buy physical copies of albums?

I've been looking for Ghostface's new album. I know it's early days yet, but I don't even know where to look now that HMV are gone. Amazon and Play.com are the only two sites that I really know of.

You can get physicals of Ghostfaces new album here.

http://soultemplemusic.bandcamp.com/releases

• Advertisement

For bigger label releases I would use http://www.ie.wowhd.com/

But for independant releases I would buy directly from the artist/indie label.

cdwow has never given me any issues at all.

But in general, I would always much prefer the thrill of buying in a shop or at a gig from the artist themself.

TheBza wrote: »
    You can get physicals of Ghostfaces new album here.

http://soultemplemusic.bandcamp.com/releases

It's expensive enough when you factor in shipping.
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    For bigger label releases I would use http://www.ie.wowhd.com/

But for independant releases I would buy directly from the artist/indie label.

cdwow has never given me any issues at all.

But in general, I would always much prefer the thrill of buying in a shop or at a gig from the artist themself.

I'll have a look at that website later. Looks to be decent. Haven't used CDWow in years. May check that out as well.

It's expensive enough when you factor in shipping.

Sure would you know buy a few at a time anyway? Same with amazon, wait and buy a few things and the delivery is grand.

Sure would you know buy a few at a time anyway? Same with amazon, wait and buy a few things and the delivery is grand.

I think he's just talking about the ghostface album, when you go through bandcamp its the artist who set the delivery, so it wouldnt really work there as it would be separate delivery with each artist, but with others as you say, buy in bulk.

It's not through Amazon though, unfortunately.

Anyway, I usually try and find the items that have free delivery on Amazon. You can save a shed load from it.

Did an interview for a music production course in Dun Laoighaire last month, one of the directors of the course was saying they've had GI in with them working with some of the students, i'd be delighted to work with him I'm slowly but surely becoming a hardcore GI and Costello fan, going through all their stuff from mary jane backwards

Thats good to hear man, they're the best thing going in my opinion, make sure you check out Lethal Dialects LD50 part II if you havnt, as well as GI & Costellos other albums, produced by GI, features the lads as well.

Probably my favourite GI production, its a tough call, i dont think hes produced a bad song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mac Daddy from Kris Kross died today aged only 34... I use to listen to them when I was a kid.

Anybody here going to the electric picnic?? I'm looking to get a ticket I promised myself id see wu tang next time they were in ireland, my school is on a spree of expelling 6th years this month because we're so close to the end and everybody is just acting the bollocks, got 2 letters saying they're appealing to the board of management to get me thrown out, the mother is funding me to go to the picnic if I don't get expelled it's a pretty good incentive to behave myself in school if you ask me :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I've been considering EP. It's all about funds for me. Would love to see Wu-Tang, though one of my friends saw them in London a while back and said they weren't that great, so I dunno. A few friends are heading to Castlepalooza in August, which is the far more economical option, so we'll see I guess. Oxegen is looking like a pile of ****e.

Advertisement