Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 Belfast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Has anyone pre-ordered sim free from the Carphone Warehouse (UK) and going to collect it on Friday? Im thinking of it but worried that they won't have many in stock, even though when I asked they said that ETA was Friday. Has anyone any idea of how reliable they are Regarding preorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Has anyone pre-ordered sim free from the Carphone Warehouse (UK) and going to collect it on Friday? Im thinking of it but worried that they won't have many in stock, even though when I asked they said that ETA was Friday. Has anyone any idea of how reliable they are Regarding preorders?

You can't reserve it with CW I already checked. First come first served. You can order it for delivery to a UK address though, but you wont have it until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

What is to stop people getting a few micro sims from 3 and trying to make it a nano sim. If you get one to work then just ring customer care with the sim number and get them to activate the sim as your current number, just like you would if you cut a normal sim to a micro sim size changing from a 3GS to an iPhone 4. Better than trying it on your own sim and messing up.

Elessar wrote: »
    You can't reserve it with CW I already checked. First come first served. You can order it for delivery to a UK address though, but you wont have it until next week.

Are you sure? I seen on their twitter you can go in and preorder in store now, so does the preorder mean nobody can purchase it except those who preordered it, or can anyone just walk in early on Friday morning and hopefully get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Are you sure? I seen on their twitter you can go in and preorder in store now, so does the preorder mean nobody can purchase it except those who preordered it, or can anyone just walk in early on Friday morning and hopefully get one?

You can pre-order it but not reserve it. Pre orders can be deliverd to a UK address or to a UK store. In store might be different, but from the rep I spoke to and looking on their website, you can't reserve. Still deciding whether to go up on Friday or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

You can pre-order it but not reserve it. Pre orders can be deliverd to a UK address or to a UK store . In store might be different, but from the rep I spoke to and looking on their website, you can't reserve. Still deciding whether to go up on Friday or not.

Are you sure you can reserve one to collect in store??

You can pre-order it but not reserve it. Pre orders can be deliverd to a UK address or to a UK store. Still deciding whether to go up on Friday or not.

Ah I understand now... Still tempted on preordering, but what I hate to happen is that they take the full amount of the phone out now, then it turns out they only have a handful of phones and then they don't have stock for weeks to come.

Just don't fancy queuing in Belfast for hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I would have no hesistation in queing for a few hours, but I need to keep the package i am on with 3 and I'll get it free on an upgrade so its hard to justify forking out full whack in Belfast for the sake of another week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    What is to stop people getting a few micro sims from 3 and trying to make it a nano sim. If you get one to work then just ring customer care with the sim number and get them to activate the sim as your current number, just like you would if you cut a normal sim to a micro sim size changing from a 3GS to an iPhone 4. Better than trying it on your own sim and messing up.

this is what i'll be doing. i have 2 blank normal sims and 2 blank micro sims here ready to test with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alandoonan

kceire wrote: »
    this is what i'll be doing. i have 2 blank normal sims and 2 blank micro sims here ready to test with :D

How exactly do you cut a micro sim to a nano sim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

alandoonan wrote: »
    How exactly do you cut a micro sim to a nano sim?

I found this to be interesting

iphonezen.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey43IqOk7_k

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I haven't watched that video so I don't know if it's mentioned.

Nano sims are thinner.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I haven't watched that video so I don't know if it's mentioned.

Nano sims are thinner.

apparently using just a tiny bit of sand paper or a nail file brings the thinness down to the required level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alandoonan

adamtj09 wrote: »
    apparently using just a tiny bit of sand paper or a nail file brings the thinness down to the required level.

Can't check that video yet. So basically is the nano sim the same shape and size as the micro sim but just thinner?

Can't check that video yet. So basically is the nano sim the same shape and size as the micro sim but just thinner?

It's smaller too but it is cut able into size.

No. It's smaller in every dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

I'd say anyone planning on trying to convert an existing SIM into a nano SIM should read this - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/18/nano_sim/

The contacts on the card are re-arranged, so it doesn't seem to be a simple case of cutting the card down to size. At least try with an old card or throwaway prepay card if you want to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So what time will people start queuing up for this? Not looking forward to it, especially coming from limerick, but it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sean2010

miralize wrote: »
    So what time will people start queuing up for this? Not looking forward to it, especially coming from limerick, but it has to be done.

Between 5-6am that is plenty of time.

sean2010 wrote: »
    miralize wrote: »

Between 5-6am that is plenty of time.

Just make sure ya have sterling with you to pay for parking £2.70 an hour!!

• Advertisement

Here is a more detailed video on how to make your nano sim you will need to sand the back of it to get the thickness down
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wYuqgbShyo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

fox007 wrote: »

you can pay at the machine with your credit card too. makes it alot easier than having to worry about having cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sean2010

fox007 wrote: »

Another reason to not get there too early without needing too . The parking rates are huge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'll be getting the train up, so thats not an issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

im leaving at 5:30 in the morning dublin driving is that to late ? plus if i get the phone i cant use cause of sim ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 386dx_009

afatbollix wrote: »
    They work in good paying jobs so they can afford nice things.

I work in a 'good paying job' but will wait until Q1 2013 for a smartphone that will blitz the 4" screen of a £500+ 16gb iphone 5.

dont think the iphone 5 is even as good a htc one x.

386dx_009 wrote: »
    I work in a 'good paying job' but will wait until Q1 2013 for a smartphone that will blitz the 4" screen of a £500+ 16gb iphone 5.

Not this sh1t again, grow up for gods sake.

386dx_009 wrote: »

When did start equating big=advanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

kceire wrote: »
    Not this sh1t again, grow up for gods sake.

Pretty tiresome alright. It's the equivalent of kids knocking on your door and running away, only here it's done by grown ups.

• Advertisement

naasrd wrote: »
    Pretty tiresome alright. It's the equivalent of kids knocking on your door and running away, only here it's done by grown ups.

Net Nick Nacks :D

Advertisement