Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 Belfast

Options
  • 17-09-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

Anybody have any experience with going to Belfast on launch day to get the iPhone 5? If so what time would be good to start queueing and do they have much stock on launch day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

i went on launch day for the 4 and 4s

The 4 we arrived at 7:30am and we didnt get the phone until 12:30pm at the earliest

When we went for the 4s we arrived at 6:45am and we had the phone and all by 10:15am

The organisation for the 4s helped speed things up in the queue, they went down the queue and allocated you with a ticket to match your desired phone
    , but the demand wasnt as big for the 4s, im not gonna bother going up this year i'd say it will be mental

just hope you can preorder on the irish site from this friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alandoonan

Cheers for the reply. So if you were going up for the 5 this year what time would you recommend getting there for? Would you say there was more demand for the 4 or 5?

i went on launch day for the 4 and 4s

The 4 we arrived at 7:30am and we didnt get the phone until 12:30pm at the earliest

When we went for the 4s we arrived at 6:45am and we had the phone and all by 10:15am

The organisation for the 4s helped speed things up in the queue, they went down the queue and allocated you with a ticket to match your desired phone
    , but the demand wasnt as big for the 4s, im not gonna bother going up this year i'd say it will be mental

just hope you can preorder on the irish site from this friday

Cheers for the reply. So if you were going up for the 5 this year what time would you recommend getting there for? Would you say there was more demand for the 4 or 5?

The earlier the better, store normally opens at 8am for the launches

If I was doing it again I'd try and get there before 5am your going to be there for a few hours whatever way you do it, the earlier you het there the earlier your home

I'd say the demand will be bigger than the 4 or 4s

Good luck with heading up

The earlier the better, store normally opens at 8am for the launches

If I was doing it again I'd try and get there before 5am your going to be there for a few hours whatever way you do it, the earlier you het there the earlier your home

I'd say the demand will be bigger than the 4 or 4s

Good luck with heading up

Cheers. Yeah ill try get there for around then hopefully. Won't be happy if Im queueing from 5am and they haven't got enuf in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

I'm thinking about driving up on Friday where would be the best place to park?I don't think the shopping centre car park will be open at 4-5am

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

You could always save yourself the hassle and buy a Samsung S3 no queuing and by far a better phone :D

0_o how do you people afford apple products

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They work in good paying jobs so they can afford nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

The car park is 24hr so it's fine to use that.

What are people doing for nano sims if you buy from Belfast as they won't be out till the 28th here? Cutting the sim is harder this time as it has to be slimmer too. I'd be afraid that it would get stuck in the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Dave6195 wrote: »

What are people doing for nano sims if you buy from Belfast as they won't be out till the 28th here? Cutting the sim is harder this time as it has to be slimmer too. I'd be afraid that it would get stuck in the phone.

If it has to be slimmer just a couple of rubs with a nail file or fine sand paper would probably do the trick :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dave6195 wrote: »

+1

The Q-Park under the shopping centre is 24hr and its approx £2.70 per hour to park.
    The guy in the Apple store told me they will be doing the ticket system again and once you get a ticket, the phone is assigned to you and you will deffo get it.

He said the first person to que last year was at 1am but he said they will have enough stock to cater for people arriving throughout the day.

I got my 4 up there but on a different system, did anybody at the lauch of the 4S buy 2?
    Im looking for 2 and just want to make sure i will be able to buy 2 if anybody can remember?
    0_o how do you people afford apple products

Same can be said about people buying Samsung products, they are in and around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

kceire wrote: »
    +1

The Q-Park under the shopping centre is 24hr and its approx £2.70 per hour to park.
    The guy in the Apple store told me they will be doing the ticket system again and once you get a ticket, the phone is assigned to you and you will deffo get it.

He said the first person to que last year was at 1am but he said they will have enough stock to cater for people arriving throughout the day.

I got my 4 up there but on a different system, did anybody at the lauch of the 4S buy 2?
    Im looking for 2 and just want to make sure i will be able to buy 2 if anybody can remember?

Same can be said about people buying Samsung products, they are in and around the same price.

I doubt that VERY much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

Elessar wrote: »
    +1

I doubt that VERY much.
    What's there to doubt. For the 4 launch I left work and start queuing at 6 am at an O2 in newbridge and there was already 4 in front of me. There was only 16 iPhones available there that day

I doubt that VERY much.

what do you doubt?

what do you doubt?

The bolded bit. I can't count how many times I've heard from store employees that they've got enough stock of a sought after item, only for them to be "overwhelmed" and sold out within hours. Particularly with an iPhone.

I'm willing to bet that the 5 will be sold out in belfast (well) before 12pm. I also wouldn't rely on the employees word and stroll in at 1 o'clock only to be disappointed. Why do you think people queue so early?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I went asking about Nano sim cards today and was told that they won't be available on any network until "at least" the 28th of September.

The process of manufacturing your own doesn't look too appealing either. I'd recommend anybody looking for one to wait for the Irish launch on the 28th as your going to be waiting for a Nano sim anyway if your not excellent with your hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sean2010

I have been to the last three events at the Apple store in Belfast. Getting there for 5-6am is plenty of time. Any earlier is just a waste of time. You will get your iPhone even if you are there 7am. The time passes quickly and you normally meet some interesting people who you can chat to which makes the wait even less boring.

sean2010 wrote: »
    I have been to the last three events at the Apple store in Belfast. Getting there for 5-6am is plenty of time. Any earlier is just a waste of time. You will get your iPhone even if you are there 7am. The time passes quickly and you normally meet some interesting people who you can chat to which makes the wait even less boring.

Sean, can you remember if you can buy 2 phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

If anyone want's to car pool from the north side of Dublin pm me, share the cost of Diesel tolls parking etc.....

• Advertisement

Yes it's only 2 phones per person, I needed 3 and got someone that was only getting 1 to get an extra ticket so I could get the 3rd

I had to go to the back of the queue and wait again to buy the 3rd but I got it in the end
    fox007 wrote: »
    If anyone want's to car pool from the north side of Dublin pm me, share the cost of Diesel tolls parking etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

I went last year for the 4s, and yes me and my mate were 3rd in the queue! and started queueing at about 1.30, honestly bring your laptop / iPad with you, put something to watch/ or read a book and time flies by. Apple have free wifi and also you normally get talking to the person next to you! They give out starbucks coffee aswell!

I'm going up this year again for the 5, I'm a Northerner who lives down in Dublin so I have lots of family to stay with after, it works out well.

adamtj09 wrote: »
    I'm going up this year again for the 5, I'm a Northerner who lives down in Dublin so I have lots of family to stay with after, it works out well.

What time you recommend going up at?

What time you recommend going up at?

Honestly 1am is a bit unnecessary , but the earlier you go the faster you are in and out and have your phone, id say 4am is a good time, 3 hours of waiting isn't long and that should have you well up the queue.

Honestly 1am is a bit unnecessary , but the earlier you go the faster you are in and out and have your phone, id say 4am is a good time, 3 hours of waiting isn't long and that should have you well up the queue.

what time would they normally start handing out the tickets at?
    parking is the next thing, i suppose budget 20e fo the q park downstairs.

what time would they normally start handing out the tickets at?
    parking is the next thing, i suppose budget 20e fo the q park downstairs.

Last year was about an hour before the store opened. Not sure about parking as I get the train up and stay with family.

Last year was about an hour before the store opened. Not sure about parking as I get the train up and stay with family.

cheers, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sean2010

Sean, can you remember if you can buy 2 phones?

Yes two per customer. Also will be the same this year. As I said 5am is plenty . No point getting there too early for no reason . One thing I will say is wrap up warm . It gets chilly there even if it is inside the open ended style of the Mall at either end lets the draught in :D

How are you all getting nano sims? Making your own or waiting?

• Advertisement

How are you all getting nano sims? Making your own or waiting?

Gonna try making my own, itc can be done with patience, if not ill just wait, it's just easier for me to get the phone this week anyway , sim or no sim. What's the worst that could happen? I wreck my sim and have to get one next week!

Advertisement