Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai (and Shatter) failed to enforce the law at RIRA funeral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Don't think I have ever heard of 200 gards doing dawn raids on suspected drug dealers.

Now you have
    http://m.brne.ws/ireland/gardai-arrest-three-in-organised-crime-crackdown-500429.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ah, the personal insults begin - the white flag is waving. I accept that you have no coherent counterarguments.

It wasn't an insult, just a comment on the reality of what your glib comment actually meant.
    Partitionists will always revert to that exact comment when their argument runs out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It wasn't an insult, just a comment on the reality of what your glib comment actually meant.
    Partitionists will always revert to that exact comment when their argument runs out of steam.

Nah, people who use partitionist as an insult obviously think partition is a terrible thing and anybody who opposes partition should be supported.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Is someone that supports the GFA and doesn't support dissidents a partitionist? Wouldn't that make you a partitionist?

What aren't you telling us?

You have now repeatedly tried to draw similarities between the current anti-GFA dissidents (which you claim you dont support) and previous factions of the IRA (which you do/did support). It kind of waters down your claims that you don't support the current gangsters if you see them as the same as the Provos. They are not similar in size, strength, support, aims, methods or ideals. They are not a significant player to be negotiated with as a resolution has been reached for the overwhelming majority. They are outcasts and outlaws, common criminals who have no bargaining power and nothing to offer as part of a compromise.

Again, find me a post where I said, I supported the IRA or the RIRA. If you can't have a discussion about these issues without your shrill namecalling and branding, I feel really sorry for you.
    It doesn't matter who 'I' support or not, or who 'you' support, these issues affect us all, most notably 'you' who started the thread.

Find those posts and quote them, before you make your accusations again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dave! wrote: »
    Good to see that arrests have been made here. Weren't the RIRA lads hidden from sight after firing the shots, changed out of their uniforms, etc? I thought the people surrounded them with golf umbrellas? Would be hard to identify them so I would have thought.

Can people's presence at this funeral be used (presumably with other evidence and criminal records) to convict them of membership of an illegal organisation in the Special Criminal Court?
    all those guys in the masks were a range of shapes and sizes, i would imagine cops in the know could pick them out easy just by looking at them.

K-9 wrote: »
    Nah, people who use partitionist as an insult obviously think partition is a terrible thing and anybody who opposes partition should be supported.

Up until 1999, partition was constitutionally 'illegitimate'.

Again, find me a post where I said, I supported the IRA or the RIRA. If you can't have a discussion about these issues without your shrill namecalling and branding, I feel really sorry for you.
    It doesn't matter who 'I' support or not, or who 'you' support, these issues affect us all, most notably 'you' who started the thread.

Find those posts and quote them, before you make your accusations again.

You either support partition or don't. Are you saying you don't support this group who opposes partition?

If so, are you a partionist?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

You have no idea of my thoughts on partition. Ignorantly ascribing beliefs to others is quite insulting - but of course you know this.

Ignorantly ascribing beliefs to others is quite insulting - but of course you know this.

You reached for the stock answer of the partitionist, that is what I pointed out.
    Whether you are or not, I don't know or really care tbh.

• Advertisement

@Happyman42 for all your attempts to equate the current dissidents with past terror groups, trying to justify your position that they should be negotiated with you certainly criticised others for thinking they were the same

Yep, that age group might confuse RIRA with the IRA. More educated adult people wouldn't. :rolleyes:
    I really don't think you should be on a political forum if you don't know the difference between RIRA and the IRA.
    It may be confusing but it is essential to know.

So educate us all, what's the difference?

You reached for the stock answer of the partitionist, that is what I pointed out.

Are you a partionist now yourself Happyman?

Pointing out the rather obvious (that whatever was done to combat the PIRA, it worked) is the 'stock answer of the partitionist'?

Really? I wonder what the stock question is.

@Happyman42 for all your attempts to equate the current dissidents with past terror groups, trying to justify your position that they should be negotiated with you certainly criticised others for thinking they were the same

So educate us all, what's the difference?

You'll have to write that again, it makes no sense as a question to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Well, I'm not going to get involved in the silly shouty politicking here but I did want to praise the guards for their measured response.

They refused to get involved in a dog fight at the funeral, and instead are calmly dealing with the illegal activity when these guys think that they have got away with it. Well done on a calm and (imo) correct response.

I think it is a fair conclusion to think you support the removal of partition through whatever means.

Otherwise you wouldn't call posters partitionists.

What's the difference between RIRA and the IRA that is essential to know?

Why am I not surprised. It seems pretty straightforward to me.

Jogathon wrote: »
    Well, I'm not going to get involved in the silly shouty politicking here
    There's only one silly shouter. He gets that way when he loses an argument. And he repeats himself rather a lot.

Jogathon wrote: »
    Well, I'm not going to get involved in the silly shouty politicking here but I did want to praise the guards for their measured response.

They refused to get involved in a dog fight at the funeral, and instead are calmly dealing with the illegal activity when these guys think that they have got away with it. Well done on a calm and (imo) correct response.

I also commend them for their work and these latest arrests. But one does not necessitate the other, managing the funeral so that intervention would've been possible without it becoming a dogfight was my point. I was never suggesting that they try and breach a 500-1000 strong crowd. Also I'm not sure allowing a crime to happen to then catch the culprits for it later is a good approach, but it's worked. So I'm happy enough

• Advertisement

There's only one silly shouter. He gets that way when he loses an argument. And he repeats himself rather a lot.

Discrediting a terrorist sympathiser is not politicking so I'd ignore that 'silly' comment

Pointing out the rather obvious (that whatever was done to combat the PIRA, it worked) is the 'stock answer of the partitionist'?

Really? I wonder what the stock question is.

Here is your glib comment in response to my contention that 'coming for men in their beds' (internment) didn't work, which was further pointing out that the 'law' did not solve the conflict in the North as it won't solve the current rise of the dissidents.

Why, is there a united Ireland and I didn't notice it? :rolleyes:

The classic partitionist will make that type of comment because they need to see the IRA/Sinn Fein as being defeated. Everytime SF make gains electorally they come out of the woodwork spouting the same nonsense.

The classic partitionist will make that type of comment because they need to see the IRA/Sinn Fein as being defeated. Everytime SF make gains electorally they come out of the woodwork spouting the same nonsense.
    If I might call you on a glaring (and pretty ignorant) assumption here: you are speaking as if SF and the IRA 'own' the concept of a united Ireland. I'd be delighted to see it.

You are like an American who thinks that they invented and own democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

it won't solve the current rise of the dissidents.
    What rise? Where's the evidence of a rise?

Here is your glib comment in response to my contention that 'coming for men in their beds' (internment) didn't work, which was further pointing out that the 'law' did not solve the conflict in the North as it won't solve the current rise of the dissidents.

Again I'll ask. The conflict in the north and the current rise of the dissidents are equivalent? How?
    And the IRA and RIRA are different? How?

Again I'll ask. The conflict in the north and the current rise of the dissidents are equivalent? How?

They aren't different in Happymans eyes.

They support the removal of partition so its fair to assume he supports both.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

K-9 wrote: »
    They aren't different in Happymans eyes.

They support the removal of partition so its fair to assume he supports both.

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong.

But then he'd be a partitionist? He has criticised others on these boards for assuming the IRA and RIRA are the same. I'm well aware they are different, hence RIRA shouldn't necessarily be treated the same re negotiation and concession, as Happyman suggests they should.

But then he'd be a partitionist? He has criticised others on these boards for assuming the IRA and RIRA are the same. I'm well aware they are different, hence RIRA shouldn't necessarily be treated the same re negotiation and concession, as Happyman suggests they should.
    Its...almost...as if...his position makes no sense...I can't understand...

But how are they different as regards partition?

Happyman obviously thinks partition is very important, otherwise he wouldn't call people partitionists!

I'm sure it isn't a meaningless slur he hasn't thought through.

• Advertisement

Taking quotes out of context to create a new argument is commonly called deflection on these here Boards.
    Very good Laminations, couldn't find any 'quotes' to support your previous accusations?

Advertisement