Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai (and Shatter) failed to enforce the law at RIRA funeral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

K-9 wrote: »
    But how are they different as regards partition?

Happyman obviously thinks partition is very important, otherwise he wouldn't call people partitionists!

I'm sure it isn't a meaningless slur he hasn't thought through.

To allow peace, the IRA has accepted partition in the interim and recognise the GFA as a roadmap towards a democratic reunification. RIRA do not accept the GFA and will not accept partition in the interim or in the ever. They want 'Brits out' and will use violence to try and hasten that aim...but their actual actions - attacks on drug dealers, robbery, extortion, murder of rival gang members, bombing shopping streets - tells me that RIRA have no particularly republican aim and use the 'Brits out' as a convenient sop to the anger of many working class people and other common criminals who are highly uneducated or misinformed about the circumstances that led to their predicament.

Now that majority agreement has been reached on a resolution (in the GFA), RIRA cannot and should not be negotiated with or legitimised in any way. They are an affront to democracy and hold the people of this island in contempt.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Taking quotes out of context to create a new argument is commonly called deflection on these here Boards.
    Very good Laminations, couldn't find any 'quotes' to support your previous accusations?

The conflict in the north and the current rise of the dissidents are equivalent? You suggested that many times on this thread. How?

And the IRA and RIRA are different? Or do you want to say they are similar now? Either way, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

14 people arrested in connection with what happened at the funeral

1 person arrested in connection with the murder of Alan Ryan in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

HoggyRS wrote: »

1 person arrested in connection with the murder of Alan Ryan in broad daylight.

Sounds about right. Ryan was shot by only one shooter after all.

You do know that what happened at the funeral was connected to the dissident terrorists and criminals RIRA, which is connected to murders of many others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Taking quotes out of context to create a new argument is commonly called deflection on these here Boards.
    Very good Laminations, couldn't find any 'quotes' to support your previous accusations?
    Coming from the guy who has dodged about a dozen questions in the last 3 pages, accusations of 'deflection' are a tad rich.

You do know that what happened at the funeral was connected to the dissident terrorists and criminals RIRA, which is connected to murders of many others?

It was the Reals showing respect to a member of their group. Its common place up north at funerals. I don't subscribe to the Reals way of thinking but I have always thought the volley of shots over a casket was a great send off to people who have died from the republican tradition I support.

Just heard that Armed special branch members raided Alan Ryans mothers house today.

Sounds about right. Ryan was shot by only one shooter after all.

Most murders involve only one person pulling the trigger, stabbing with the knife etc. That doesn't stop accomplices being arrested etc.

You'll get a few likes for that though so fair play, mission accomplished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Its...almost...as if...his position makes no sense...I can't understand...

In an effort to avoid further deflection, here is my position again;
    RIRA will grow into a threat to the stability of this state and the GFA. To brand them as 'common criminals' is dangerous and irresponsible and is making a huge and lethal mistake.
    The GFA left people behind. People, I believe to be committed to a republican ideal (doesn't matter what you or I think about that ideal or whether they match previous groups or not).
    Now, I have said I believe that the 'law' will not be able to deal with that, as it wasn't able to deal with it for 40 years.
    Eventually, after thousands of deaths, maiming, destroyed lives, people with the will to search for a negotiated settlement HAD to sit down and do just that.
    My contention is that certain dogma's and policies (proven to be ineffectual by history) are being reverted to again, and I am calling that irresponsible and stupid and lethally dangerous for our future.
    The OP wanted force to be used at a funeral, and has contended that suppression is the only way to deal with this. I say, it won't work and has never worked on this island. The existence of the GFA, once thought impossible, proves my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

In an effort to avoid further deflection, here is my position again;
    RIRA will grow into a threat to the stability of this state and the GFA. To brand them as 'common criminals' is dangerous and irresponsible and is making a huge and lethal mistake
    It is what they are. No two ways about it. Racketeering, extortion, kidnapping, armed robbery and murder would testify as qualificable traits.
    The GFA left people behind . . .
    No it didn't. The majority spoke. That is what democracy entails, a majority voice.

• Advertisement

Eventually, after thousands of deaths, maiming, destroyed lives, people with the will to search for a negotiated settlement HAD to sit down and do just that.
    My contention is that certain dogma's and policies (proven to be ineffectual by history) are being reverted to again, and I am calling that irresponsible and stupid and lethally dangerous for our future.
    If history is repeated, I don't think it is the fault of the forces of democracy - it will be the fault of those 'left behind' (i.e. the hardliners who refuse to compromise or respect the democratic wishes of the majority). It's entirely possible that they will continue to murder people (and of course make a handy living from licensing drug sales) for decades only to come to the same conclusion that SF/PIRA did - you can't murder your way to UI.

It was the Reals showing respect to a member of their group. Its common place up north at funerals. I don't subscribe to the Reals way of thinking but I have always thought the volley of shots over a casket was a great send off to people who have died from the republican tradition I support.
    It was an illegal discharge of firearms in a public area. The gardaí were dead right hauling suspects in about the matter. The fact that those waving guns around wrap their activities in a flag is irrelevant.

RIRA will grow into a threat to the stability of this state and the GFA.
    What are you basing this statement on?

It's entirely possible that they will continue to murder people (and of course make a handy living from licensing drug sales) for decades only to come to the same conclusion that SF/PIRA did - you can't murder your way to UI.

We heard all that before they sat down and done a deal. (including those making that claim)
    There are checks and balances and clauses in the GFA to deal with anybody breaking it's terms, as you well know.

What are you basing this statement on?

On 'my' opinion that the quest to rid this island of British occupation is cyclical.

We heard all that before they (including those making that claim) sat down and done a deal.
    There are checks and balances and clauses in the GFA to deal with anybody breaking it's terms, as you well know.
    I'm not sure what point you are addressing. We did indeed hear that stuff about not being able to murder your way to a UI before and after the GFA. It's fact.

But what is your reference to checks and balances about? I never said anything about the signatories to the deal breaking its terms.

On 'my' opinion that the quest to rid this island of British occupation is cyclical.
    The North is not subject to 'occupation', unless you mean in the sense that well over a million people who consider themselves British live there, as have their ancestors for hundreds of years.

The North is not subject to 'occupation', unless you mean in the sense that well over a million people who consider themselves British live there, as have their ancestors for hundreds of years.

That is your opinion, unfortunately it isn't the opinion of RIRA.

It's not really a matter of opinion, is it? Unless you think that NZ and other countries are also under occupation? Under what objective definition can it be claimed to be 'occupied'?

It's not really a matter of opinion, is it? Unless you think that NZ and other countries are also under occupation?

It doesn't matter what you or I think. That is not what we are examining.
    RIRA have the stated aim of removing the British 'occupation' of this island by whatever means neccessary.

• Advertisement

I have always thought the volley of shots over a casket was a great send off to people who have died from the republican tradition I support.

Alan Ryan was not from or did not die from any republican tradition. He was involved in gang warfare, extortion, drug money and common criminality.

It doesn't matter what you or I think. That is not what we are examining.
    RIRA have the stated aim of removing the British 'occupation' of this island by whatever means neccessary.
    Yes, and as the PIRA learned, you can't murder your way to a UI. The RIRA need only open a book to learn this fact, but seem determined to carry on with murder and criminality. So in what sense is it the fault of the democrats if the hardliners keep on killing?

The quest has now got a mechanism within the GFA, it no longer needs violence,. You continue to fail to realise the difference between the IRA and RIRA is that the former operated in a vaccuum of political will, where there was the problem of partition and no resolution, where there was British thuggery and discrimination and a great sectarian tension. They also operated in a manner that was very different to what RIRA is now involved in. RIRA operate in a time where these is a resolution, there are political channels ans progress and the north has a fairer police force and the demographics have changed. There is no appetite for 'struggle' not that I see any of their gangland criminality as representing any kind of struggle against British forces.

You have no basis to claim that RIRA will grow in strength unless you think they are equivalent in some way to the IRA and as appealing in a time of peace.

What is your opinion? Is the north under occupation? Should we accept the partition of Ireland until its resolved via the mechanisms in the GFA?

Yes, and as the PIRA learned, you can't murder your way to a UI.
    Again, that's your opinion and is unimportant and off topic here.
    So in what sense is it the fault of the democrats if the hardliners keep on killing?

To paraphrase an old saying, when democrats do nothing, chaos will thrive.
    History teaches us that suppression does and achieves nothing. If it did, would SF be knocking on the doors of our government and be sharing power in Northern Ireland?

Again, that's your opinion and is unimportant and off topic here.
    In what sense is it off topic? :confused:

And it is not just my opinion - I can point to failed terrorist campaigns by the PIRA, INLA and IPLO as evidence. What evidence do you have that it can be done? Who has the stronger claim?
    To paraphrase an old saying, when democrats do nothing, chaos will thrive.
    History teaches us that suppression does and achieves nothing. If it did, would SF be knocking on the doors of our government and be sharing power in Northern Ireland?
    The democrats are not doing nothing - they are governing in partnership. What exactly did you expect from the GFA?

The quest has now got a mechanism within the GFA, it no longer needs violence,. You continue to fail to realise the difference between the IRA and RIRA is that the former operated in a vaccuum of political will, where there was the problem of partition and no resolution, where there was British thuggery and discrimination and a great sectarian tension. They also operated in a manner that was very different to what RIRA is now involved in. RIRA operate in a time where these is a resolution, there are political channels ans progress and the north has a fairer police force and the demographics have changed. There is no appetite for 'struggle' not that I see any of their gangland criminality as representing any kind of struggle against British forces.

You have no basis to claim that RIRA will grow in strength unless you think they are equivalent in some way to the IRA and as appealing in a time of peace.

Whch is all hunky dory if you signed up to and agree with the GFA. :rolleyes:

In what sense is it off topic? :confused:

And it is not just my opinion - I can point to failed terrorist campaigns by the PIRA, INLA and IPLO as evidence. What evidence do you have that it can be done? Who has the stronger claim?

The democrats are not doing nothing - they are governing in partnership. What exactly did you expect from the GFA?

We are discussing the RIRA, who didn't sign up to the GFA. The GFA therefore is irrelevant in a discussion about how to deal with the RIRA.

We are discussing the RIRA, who didn't sign up to the GFA. The GFA therefore is irrelevant in a discussion about how to deal with the RIRA.
    But you have not offered any solution other than to concede to their demands - which is a united Ireland. This 'solution' is not on the table.

What do you propose the democrats talk about with them then?

• Advertisement

Whch is all hunky dory if you signed up to and agree with the GFA. :rolleyes:

So they are on a quest to rid the country of British 'occupation' but when a resolution emerges to do that peacefully, they don't sign up for it? And you think they will grow in strength after the overwhelming majority did accept this resolution? Bonkers

Advertisement