Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai (and Shatter) failed to enforce the law at RIRA funeral

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

@Happyman42
    What is your opinion? Is the north under occupation? Should we accept the partition of Ireland until its resolved via the mechanisms in the GFA?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

So they are on a quest to rid the country of British 'occupation' but when a resolution emerges to do that peacefully, they don't sign up for it? And you think they will grow in strength after the overwhelming majority did accept this resolution? Bonkers
    If the "overwhelming majority" were allowed to democratically pursue their aims their would have been a peaceful resolution long ago. Looks like the RIRA are just taking one out of your British friends book and carrying out violence regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

But you have not offered any solution other than to concede to their demands - which is a united Ireland. This 'solution' is not on the table.

What do you propose the democrats talk about with them then?

I don't have the 'solution'. And I freely admit that I didn't have the 'solution' that the GFA provided either. But a solution was there, and I don't see any so called 'democrats' vested with power, looking for one now, which is their responsibility. What I see are 'misguided solutions' designed to further entrench and pointlessly suppress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I don't have the 'solution'. And I freely admit that I didn't have the 'solution' that the GFA provided either. But a solution was there, and I don't see any so called 'democrats' vested with power, looking for one now, which is their responsibility. What I see are 'misguided solutions' designed to further entrench and pointlessly suppress.
    A solution was there because the moderate republicans saw that compromise was necessary. Those that refused compromise formed the dissident groups.

How do you compromise with people who refuse to compromise?

your British friends
    I love the notion that this is meant as an insult. On another forum somewhere, someone like you is using 'your black friends' with the exact same intention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Irrelevant to the discussion, but for the record, I support and voted for the GFA.

I'm out folks, I made my point over and over again. I have been accused and deflected over and over again. Pity, because it could have been an interesting discussion if the Daily Mail type shrillness could have been kept out of it. Good luck.

Irrelevant to the discussion, but for the record, I support and voted for the GFA.

I'm out folks, I made my point over and over again. I have been accused and deflected over and over again. Pity, because it could have been an interesting discussion if the Daily Mail type shrillness could have been kept out of it. Good luck.
    It's a pity that our 'Daily Mail' style expectation that you would clarify apparent contradictions and gaps in your posts has scared you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

We are discussing the RIRA, who didn't sign up to the GFA. The GFA therefore is irrelevant in a discussion about how to deal with the RIRA.
    They only came into existence because of the GFA.

I love the notion that this is meant as an insult. On another forum somewhere, someone like you is using 'your black friends' with the exact same intention.
    Wow :eek:, we are sensitive aren't we :) But would you not agree that the RIRA are just taking one out of your British friends book and carrying out violence regardless ?

Wow :eek:, we are sensitive aren't we :) But would you not agree that the RIRA are just taking one out of your British friends book and carrying out violence regardless ?
    Not sensitive, just amused. But to answer your question, my British friends have never carried out any violence as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

We are discussing the RIRA, who didn't sign up to the GFA. The GFA therefore is irrelevant in a discussion about how to deal with the RIRA.
    When some anonymous internet moniker claims they were "left behind" following the Good Friday Agreement, it is not irrelevant at all. They weren't left out. They lost out in a democratic show of hands and should accept what the majority wants on this island.
    According to you, Fianna Fail, the left parties, the Shinners etc and supporters all got "left behind" following the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

would you not agree that the RIRA are just taking one out of your British friends book and carrying out violence regardless ?
    Sad times when self-professed Irish Republicans are citing the British as their example and moral compass.

I'd be more inclined to say they are following the example of the other criminal gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

*seems to remember a point when this thread was about a specific public order incident and not about the legitimacy of the dissident cause or partition or the Brits or whatever else you're having...*

Sad times when self-professed Irish Republicans are citing the British as their example and moral compass.

I'd be more inclined to say they are following the example of the other criminal gangs.
    Beats me how you can somehow deduce that I cited the Brits as my examples and my moral compass :). Just pointing out that the RIRA are just taking one out of the Brits book, ignoring the "overwhelming majority" and carrying out violence regardless. Ofcourse it's only wrong when the RIRA do it with some, while the elephant in the room is as always ignored.

Beats me how you can somehow deduce that I cited the Brits as my examples and my moral compass :). Just pointing out that the RIRA are just taking one out of the Brits book, ignoring the "overwhelming majority" and carrying out violence regardless. Ofcourse it's only wrong when the RIRA do it with some, while the elephant in the room is as always ignored.
    Just on a point of information: when did 'the Brits' ignore the overwhelming majority in NI?

Just on a point of information: when did 'the Brits' ignore the overwhelming majority in NI?
    The creation of the NI statelet is ignoring the overwhelming majority, anything else is only pedantic time wasting.

The creation of the NI statelet is ignoring the overwhelming majority, anything else is only pedantic time wasting.
    Um...no it isn't. The overwhelming majority there always wanted to remain part of the UK. Anything else is only delusional dreaming.

Um...no it isn't. The overwhelming contrived majority there always wanted to remain part of the UK. Anything else is only delusional dreaming.
    Fixed for ya :)

(BTW, Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan were also included in the Ulster Covenant, drop the delusional dreaming ;) )

Fixed for ya :)

(BTW, Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan were also included in the Ulster Covenant, drop the delusional dreaming ;) )
    So the overwhelming majority of the people in the NI statelet to which you specifically referred did not wish to remain part of the UK?

So the overwhelming majority of the people in the NI statelet to which you specifically referred did not wish to remain part of the UK?
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD WARNING:
    Please focus on making meaningful contributions to the discussion of the thread topic, and not each other. Further, there were several substandard posts, as well as off-topic. Please do not persist in these posting behaviours here, or anyplace else on this forum.

Beats me how you can somehow deduce that I cited the Brits as my examples and my moral compass :). Just pointing out that the RIRA are just taking one out of the Brits book, ignoring the "overwhelming majority" and carrying out violence regardless.

Eh, NI was created and maintained through the democratic will of the people, from the first Collins brokered Anglo-Irish treaty which was put to the people, through to the GFA which keeps the country partitioned until a majority in both north and south vote for reunification. Now the time before that definitely involved the Brits ignoring the majority in Ireland, so maybe thats what you're referring to if you're one of those types of republicans that bang that '800 years of opression' drum. Notwithstanding that I do not approve British actions during the 20th century in Ireland. They were oppressive, discriminatory, murderous and not very democratic for the minority Catholics.
    Ofcourse it's only wrong when the RIRA do it with some, while the elephant in the room is as always ignored.

No it's wrong when anyone does it. Usually when someone trots out that criticism it's them that holds the one-sided view and they are trying to strawman their opponents who've made it abundantly clear that they condemn violent abandonment of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Eh, NI was created and maintained through the democratic will of the people, from the first Collins brokered Anglo-Irish treaty

Not correct.

NI came into existence in May 1921, as a result of the Government of Ireland Act of 1920 coming into force, which was 7 months before Collins signed the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921, and even before a truce was called in July 1921 between the British and the IRA.

NI was a fait accompli before Collins actually got to London to negotiate on behalf of those who wished for independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

What has this got to do with The Gardaí failing to enforce the law at Alan Ryan's funeral??

Fair play to them for arresting 17 people but I reckon its just a PR stunt and they will be released......hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What has this got to do with The Gardaí failing to enforce the law at Alan Ryan's funeral??

Fair play to them for arresting 17 people but I reckon its just a PR stunt and they will be released......hope not.

Its gone way of topic now,as these sort of threads do.

I agree it was more a publicity stunt than anything else,there was even a Evening herald photographer there to take pictures of it happening :rolleyes:Saturdays Funeral was a huge publicity coup for the RIRA and showed a defiance to the state not seen in years.

Possibly. Have any charges been brought?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Black Swan has already asked for posters to stay OT, this is now the last warning. Any further OT sidetracking will result in Infractions.

If you feel a topic deserves discussion, then by all means start a new thread

Cheers

DrG

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

realies wrote: »
    Its gone way of topic now,as these sort of threads do.

I agree it was more a publicity stunt than anything else,there was even a Evening herald photographer there to take pictures of it happening :rolleyes:Saturdays Funeral was a huge publicity coup for the RIRA and showed a defiance to the state not seen in years.

I don't think that the Garda would be into publicity stunts. They made a decision not to intervene for the greater good i.e. to prevent injuries to mourners. I am sure they had cameras hidden in close proximity to these people and as a result were able to identify and arrest them later. Wise decision in my view.

I have often wondered how the Press were always around so soon after Border incidents in my area over the years of the troubles but after the scandals in England with the News of the World I am sure they use similar methods here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think that the Garda would be into publicity stunts. They made a decision not to intervene for the greater good i.e. to prevent injuries to mourners. I am sure they had cameras hidden in close proximity to these people and as a result were able to identify and arrest them later. Wise decision in my view.

I have often wondered how the Press were always around so soon after Border incidents in my area over the years of the troubles but after the scandals in England with the News of the World I am sure they use similar methods here.
    maybe it's easier to inform the media and have designated reporters trained in the art of "not getting in the way" then having hacks following them around messing things up...

or maybe it was just obvious the gardai were gonna strike at ryans house this week and the paps played a waiting game.

• Advertisement

2 released, no mention of charges. 14 men and 1 woman left.

Advertisement