Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [US] ** Spoilers **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 3 and while the drug trip was funny, it also felt like pretty overt wheel spinning and padding. With only 13 episodes I'm not sure the season needs that kind of obvious stalling, or two episodes in a row where Fitz/Simmons just miss each other.

It's also fun in a separate way spotting the reused sets, and cheaply thrown together wooden stairwell :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, I thought episode 3 was daft, the start up thread of ep. 4 mayyyybe pitched the wrong side of lazy satire for me. The tones a bit all over the place. Good to see Deke back though.

And yikes, I forget how gross SHIELD can be; that "explosion" scene was quite gruesome for a mainstream TV show. Real body horror moment, amazed they got away with it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

F U basketball and ABC no ep this week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6.5: Excellent episode. Writing this season ain't bad. Writing for that episode was great.

Wiki says it was Written by George Kitson and Directed by Lou Diamond Phillips who have not done one of this season yet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agents_of_S.H.I.E.L.D._(season_6)#Episodes

Kitson has done a lot of crew work for AOS and other shows like 24 and Cold Case. He has mostly only written for AOS:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1957240/

Phillips has done a lot of acting for shows like Longmire and Stargate Universe. He has done one-off Directing for Longmire and shows like (90s) The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001617/

Episode moments
    May
    overall felt like we were getting more into how she's currently thinking
    Enoch
    .. ye the betrayal and wtf at the end stand out but his best-buddie descriptions of Fitz were funny
    Ye hardly think ..
    old Coulson was an imposter during or just after Captain Marvel do ye?

Next episode will probably
    have it's work cut out to sync up between Daisy and Mack

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The May bit, that was dark, I mean, really dark. Brilliant but dark. For the bit about the other horror stuff being lucky to get away with, that scene with the glass of wine, brilliant acting, brilliant writing, that scene may be one of the best in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was there a post episode scene in the latest ep? There wasnt on the link I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

gazzer wrote: »
    Was there a post episode scene in the latest ep? There wasnt on the link I watched.

I don't think there was. Checked the subreddit and plenty of people asking the same thing. It looks like the scene between
    Fitz and Enoch
    was the last of the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Doing a three month contract away from home so been watching a lot more television than I usually do. Which is almost never. Already finished Jessica Jones, which is depressing given it just came out. But the heat is oppressive over here so I hid with ice cream for most of the weekends and enjoyed the cooler evenings outside or on the town.

Anyway I stopped watching Agents at the end of Season 4 and never got back to it. As I have watched most other things I intended to catch up on, thinking of starting Season 5 here! It is 27euro on Amazon as HD. I assume this is the best place to buy it? Or are there better options anyone can hit me directly or in private with?

It is either that or the latest season of Walking Dead and I dunno..... Season 8 of that had enough closure for me that I do not feel like ever going back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The latest season of walking dead was widely seen as a return to form, as good as the first season and season 5 of agents of shield was exellent- id hate to have to choose between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

God that episode was amazing. De Caestecker and Henstridge acted their bloody socks off.

That scene near the end gave me the biggest laugh I've had all week too. :)

This season is fantastic.

• Advertisement

6.6: Fantastic!
    Mr E wrote: »
    God that episode was amazing. De Caestecker and Henstridge acted their bloody socks off.

That scene near the end gave me the biggest laugh I've had all week too. :)

This season is fantastic.

Agreed!

First when
    the two outside were listening to the argument and just gave each other the roll eyes look
    :D

Then
    when Fitz and Simmons got out!
    :D

What a funny and intense episode. Remindee me of some of the best buffy episodes. I dont think the series would have lasted as long without Fitzsimmons being in it. The writers write the best episodes for them.

I think the pacing is perfect too. Any other show would have spliced in some lighthouse/Coulson stuff, but that would have diluted the episode and reduced the impact. They gave it room to breathe, and it was all the better for it.

I think these "focus" episodes are as much a budgetary decision than narrative, effectively meaning you hire the actors for fewer episodes. Not complaining mind you - I know I continue to bang the money drum a lot here - as it forces writers to be creative and more focused on character than bigger ensemble stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Enjoyed the episode but feeling quite meh about the season so far. Around halfway through and I don’t feel any traction. Fitzsimmons story felt like just a repeat of what we’ve seen numerous times and the new Coulson etc narrative hasn’t interested me yet. Hopefully the pieces start coming together a bit more.

3.7: Felt a bit of a mixed bag. Some felt kinda like filler / explainer so they could set up some background for the season plot. Like:
    -
    here's where people are and powers they have
    -
    here's what powers and weaknesses the baddies have
    -
    here's a setup for the sides for a battle to come to get together into teams

hrmm.. maybe it's me.. episode has 9.3/10 from 685 reviews:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8416914/

One highlight was the
    Quinjet docking with the Zephyr
    . I'd just started thinking that the budget might have been low for the episode but maybe they spent it on that. Also they got
    a new jeep! Looks like Lexus is onboard for sponsopship!
    :)

Oh and the scene where the
    birds in containment turned to crystal! When they killed the redshirt Agent, it totally looked like how T-1000 in Terminator 2 does kills!
    That can't have been PG, was it?

yeah Agents of shield has always seemed to suffer from inconsistent within seasons - the first half has been pretty bad so I hope they get the whole gang back together for the next episodes and we see more personality on the bad guys side. I suspect that the woman introduced in the last episode will be part of the bad guys

Only on the FitzSimmons episode and while it is a bit of a retread of old stuff, these episodes are nearly always the strongest character work in the show. I never tire of watching them fight the universe to stay together and unlike other shows, the writers' sadism works to make you route for them both that bit more. It also helps that both actors have such easy chemistry together, and are fantastic actors.

They've come a long way from the one dimensional comedy boffin roles of season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

the first half has been pretty bad

Eh... are we watching the same show :confused:

I can see some of the complaints but they don't hold up. The Fitzsimmons episode was alot of what we have seen before, nice nods to different sci fi, fantasy, horror movies but as much as it was alot of what we have seen before, when it is done so well, who cares, it was up ther with the best in the series.

Still can't figure the cromicons, are they basically the transformers in that they are a planet of robots or were they human like sentient life and changed to super computers in a vein similar to the Asguardians and their genetic engineering in Stargate?

• Advertisement

Perhaps im being too harsh but with Sarge potentially becoming a good guy that means we still havent met the main bad guy until 8 episodes into the 13 episode run. If enochs people disappear from the storyline why did they waste 3 episodes on them?

Perhaps im being too harsh but with Sarge potentially becoming a good guy that means we still havent met the main bad guy until 8 episodes into the 13 episode run. If enochs people disappear from the storyline why did they waste 3 episodes on them?

His people are not gone, its like the marvel movies, the communicator is there to get Enochs people involved. The episodes were to set up the fact that Enochs crowd are not a bunch of non interfering docile computers and when they need to do sh1t, they can do sh1t and cross a few moral boundaries in that regard.

Perhaps im being too harsh but with Sarge potentially becoming a good guy that means we still havent met the main bad guy until 8 episodes into the 13 episode run.

Next week is the first of a two parter, so I expect we'll meet him/her then.

Remember there is another season after this, so they don't have to deal with the Shrike boss this season.

That was really good. The ending was a bit off though (especially after the great cliffhanger).

I didn't see that Izel revelation coming - maybe I'm just slow. :o

3.8: What was with that
    split away at the end..?!!?!

Agree though, good episode. I didn't see the
    Izel thing until this episode but I got the hint with the opening scenes showing her.

So.. looks like the
    Sarge arc will hit its collision point next week and then maybe the overall arc for the season is Chronicoms?

Almost.. almost feels like there'll be a so close yet so far moment for Fitz and Simmons getting back to Earth.

I liked the Earth and Moon shot. Is that new footage or reused from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I had to say I thought the Big Bad was obvious from last weeks episode.

An exciting half season (ish) finale, though the big bad is a little underwhelming at first blush. Unless they're saving some "true form" FX for the back half, Izel is just a woman in a bad wig and boilersuit. Especially after Lash and Hive demonstrated some quality TV level monsters on the show.

Oh and I don't know why, but I'm irrationally irritated by the cargo ship. The set is just one box room (the "bridge" a mere balcony area), yet the exterior shots clearly show a panoramic bridge area at the front, windows glowing orange. Unless it's the canteen :D Clearly the set design and FX departments didn't communicate with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Len_007

pixelburp wrote: »

Oh and I don't know why, but I'm irrationally irritated by the cargo ship. The set is just one box room (the "bridge" a mere balcony area), yet the exterior shots clearly show a panoramic bridge area at the front, windows glowing orange. Unless it's the canteen :D Clearly the set design and FX departments didn't communicate with each other.

I wondered was it a set redress of where they had those fights last season

• Registered Users Posts: 60,415 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:(
    Davis

And

WOW WOW What a great final scene.

• Advertisement

:eek: !!!

I was already putting together some thoughts on the episode as a whole until that final scene!

Like the top scene for me before that was
    Jaco and the "Don't worry, I'll be a butterfly"
    :( Someone in the series crew (writers I guess) really knows how to build up to this
    and wiggle investment out of me.
    :(
    Davis
    Yeah I was all thinking
    he must have been taken when himself and Jaco split up
    .. although I'm not sure it's not
    just a red herring and Davis is wrecked tired. To be honest when I saw Piper and Davis there on the couch at the end I was a bit relieved they'd lasted. I'd thought at the start of the season when they were up in the Zephyr that they were gonna be made into redshirts this season.

Other moments included: decent enough
    inspirational speech by Mac
    -
    Sarge and Snowflake vendetta

Weakish moment was when Quake used her power. I'm guessing they ran out of time and/or budget to put more into that.

Advertisement