Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

would be great, although its depressing to think ill be in my mid thirties by the time it gets here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone know a. When the bid needs to be submitted by? and b. When the decision is made ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

would be great, although its depressing to think ill be in my mid thirties by the time it gets here

Lucky you.
    I will be entitled to a ticket at a reduced rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

The whole thing will be dead in the water if GAA Congress (March 22) doesn't allow the use of stadia for the bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The GAA got some serious cash for the use of Croke Park in 2007-2010, from a financial POV it makes sense. For an RWC, Croke Park's availability might be limited given the RWC would clash with the All Ireland semis and finals.

Pearse Stadium in particular is important, so that the games can be hosted in Connacht.

You just hope the GAA traditionalists that were against Croke Park opening it doors before won't derail this.
    The traditionalists knew this was coming and embrace it, there was a few unanswered questions at the time of the last rule change regarding crosmaglen rangers treatment by the RUC, and they made their point. Also some healthy opposition was required to ensure the best deal....which they got $$$!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The traditionalists knew this was coming and embrace it, there was a few unanswered questions at the time of the last rule change regarding crosmaglen rangers treatment by the RUC, and they made their point. Also some healthy opposition was required to ensure the best deal....which they got $$$!

Indeed, that ship has sailed, its all about the greenbacks now. The GAA will get 6 or 8 low cost stadium upgrades and a worldwide profile for their games and traditions on the back of the overseas coverage and interest, for the price of letting out grounds for use in October when they are usually dormant.

Varadkar is a bit preachy about things, but he's also tenacious, he seems to have a deep personal interest in getting this thing off the ground so I wish him and the associations luck. We could never afford the scale of a FIFA WC or Olympics, but this would be the perfect scale and fit for Ireland, and would mark a more hopeful and mature attitude in the country if we get beyond the current mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Latest news on this...initial phase of putting out the feelers are over, now IRFU are presenting a feasability study to the Government. Momentum is building, the bid at very least seems like it could definitely be a runner...whether we get it or not will depend largely on how much funding the Government could commit and how on board the GAA really will be, but mentioned in the article, they see this is a good opportunity to get funding for stadia upgrades, and fair play to them if they get that for lending a hand with the bid..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Irish Times

IRFU to meet Varadkar over plans

GAVIN CUMMISKEY

The IRFU are to meet with Leo Varadkar, the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, early next week to lay out plans for hosting the 2023 Rugby World Cup in Ireland.

The GAA have already lent their support to a bid, as the association’s stadiums would be essential for the tournament to be held on this island.

“The IRFU has done the feasibility study with some funding from my department and also the department in Northern Ireland,” said Varadkar yesterday. “They are due to brief me next week on the pros and cons of it.”

Varadkar is due to meet Arlene Foster, the Northern Ireland assembly Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Investment, next week to discuss a joint tourism event, and hosting the World Cup will also be discussed.

New Zealand, with a population of less than 4.5 million, successfully hosted the tournament in 2011, prompting the union to begin investigations into bringing the final to Dublin in 10 years’ time.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne has already stated that government support is essential to a successful bid, while the GAA have indicated any necessary refurbishment of their grounds must be assisted by government finances.

“I am very enthusiastic about it,” Varadkar continued. “I would really love to have it in Ireland.

“I think we can do it, because if New Zealand can do it, we can do it better. It may involve some sort of investment from the government and I would have to go to my colleagues about that but certainly if the IRFU want to make a bid they will have the support of the government.

“I just don’t know exactly what that is.”

The organisers of the New Zealand World Cup announced a loss of NZ$31.3 million (€19.8 million), which was NZ$8 million (€5 million) less than initially forecast.

The 2015 World Cup takes place in England with several matches in Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium. Japan will host the 2019 tournament, with some games in Hong Kong and Singapore.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0305/1224330788768.html

I'm all for Ireland putting in a bid, it's a friendly country, and I'm sure fans would feel welcome, and have a great time! Having lived in Ireland for a while now though, I would wonder on what basis Minister Varadkar can so confidently predict Ireland would "do it better"
    - ?the successful implementation of the National Children's Hospital
    - ?the skillful management of the economy by successive governments
    - ?the way the 2 Luas lines link up to allow ease of travel

The way Irish politics work, I would fully expect to see a new purpose built National Stadium in Co Mayo "Kenny Stadium" to host the final...

Joking aside, if Ireland do put in a bid, it should be a single bid, and therefore the use of GAA stadia would be essential I would think.

I would also be partial to an Argentinian bid (red wine, big steaks, great scenery), and of course SA would be expecting another tournament by then I would imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

An Argentinian RWC would actually be the death of me so probably for the best it doesn't go there. On the other hand, I'd die of a heart attack while having relations with a very nice Argentinian lady after far too much steak and red wine. There are worse ways to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

What would it cost to host? And what would it generate?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    An Argentinian RWC would actually be the death of me so probably for the best it doesn't go there. On the other hand, I'd die of a heart attack while having relations with a very nice Argentinian lady after far too much steak and red wine. There are worse ways to go.

Or ladies...you sly fox Podge...

• Advertisement

Swiwi wrote: »
    Or ladies...you sly fox Podge...

Actually, now you mention it, the Argentinian RWC idea is growing on me....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hopefully we get this to work, for the country as a whole it will be great.

Also good to see Leo throwing his weight behind it. He may strike some as being a bit of a youknowwhat but once he gets behind something he is a very useful person to have working for you.

What would it cost to host? And what would it generate?

It'll lose money most likely. The IRB require an upfront payment of something in the region of €150m.

The IRFU certainly could not afford it, they would require backing from the govt. However the benefit to the economy in terms of influx to the country is probably in the order of billions, so I would think that cost actually probably wouldn't be a problem. Being in Europe we would get fewer people over for the entire two months than NZ but much, much larger figures over for a few games. If the GAA get on board then there is a decent chance, not least because I think the idea of trips to Ireland is appealing. I would hope the IRFU apply for both 2023 and 2027 and see which is more likely.

It would easily be the largest event ever staged in Ireland and most likely the largest event we ever could stage seeing as the Olympics and football world cup will never come here. I have some reservations about our ability to host it (some of the GAA stadiums are of poor quality and in bad locations), but I would truly love for it to be brought to Ireland. It would be the most amazing two months ever.

P_1 wrote: »
    Hopefully we get this to work, for the country as a whole it will be great.

Also good to see Leo throwing his weight behind it. He may strike some as being a bit of a youknowwhat but once he gets behind something he is a very useful person to have working for you.

On that I agree. He does seem to get results.

It'll lose money most likely. The IRB require an upfront payment of something in the region of €150m.

The IRFU certainly could not afford it, they would require backing from the govt. However the benefit to the economy in terms of influx to the country is probably in the order of billions, so I would think that cost actually probably wouldn't be a problem. Being in Europe we would get fewer people over for the entire two months than NZ but much, much larger figures over for a few games. If the GAA get on board then there is a decent chance, not least because I think the idea of trips to Ireland is appealing. I would hope the IRFU apply for both 2023 and 2027 and see which is more likely.

Only way to get money is filling the grounds, and that is where the big GAA grounds in Thurles etc would be very handy.

Only way to get money is filling the grounds, and that is where the big GAA grounds in Thurles etc would be very handy.

For the IRFU yes. There are many other benefits too though, mainly caused by having a few hundred thousand tourists landing in the country and spending their lovely money

If it is backed by the govt (which is clearly is being) then they won't so much care about actually making money on ticket sales. The overall revenue coming into the country will be enormous. That said, I think Ireland has a better chance of breaking even on it than NZ did as the stadiums available are larger.

The problem with places like Semple Stadium is that travelling fans will expect to be staying in the town the stadium is in and Thurles simply is not equipped for that kind of thing. Semple is designed as a stadium from which everyone drives home to various parts of Munster afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

It's good that the likes of Galway, Limerick, Cork, Belfast and Dublin each have two or more stadiums that would be big enough, which would mean massive crowds.

I'd think Killarney would have to be included aswell, maybe Derry aswell..

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What are the stadium requirements for a RWC?

awec wrote: »
    What are the stadium requirements for a RWC?

Going from the last one, I'd say a bit of grass and two posts :P

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Going from the last one, I'd say a bit of grass and two posts :P
    Does it not have the criteria like the football world cup of x number of stadiums with x capacity, y number of stadiums with y capacity etc?

Does it not have the criteria like the football world cup of x number of stadiums with x capacity, y number of stadiums with y capacity etc?

I don't think so. Nonetheless, capacity isn't really a problem for Ireland. Its facilities at the stadia and their location.

I don't think so, possibly for the knockout stages and the final but for the pool stage there doesn't seem to be any minimum standards. I mean look at some of the places where we played in the pool stage last time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Haha imagine a pool match in Donnybrook... :/

Where would you play the final? Aviva or Croke?

Lansdowne, it is the home of Irish rugby and makes more offers a better view of the match for those lucky to get tickets

Croke, its really not up for debate. 50,000 simply is not enough for the final. Which is a concern, because its not a great stadium for watching rugby. It has decent corporate facilities and what not which is probably all that matters though.

If Ireland get the RWC it will be because of good politicking. Ultimately, you only really need to convince the 6N countries and you are almost there.

Croke, its really not up for debate. 50,000 simply is not enough for the final. Which is a concern, because its not a great stadium for watching rugby. It has decent corporate facilities and what not which is probably all that matters though.

If Ireland get the RWC it will be because of good politicking. Ultimately, you only really need to convince the 6N countries and you are almost there.
    I don't mind Croke Park, but the massive pitch means you're a bit far away from everything.

I don't mind Croke Park, but the massive pitch means you're a bit far away from everything.

Which is a problem with all the GAA pitches, and another issue I have with the bid. I find it hard to imagine that the IRB would be alright with going to a stadium with 30,000 fewer seats though.

I really, really want it to go to Ireland. But the difference between us and NZ is that they were using rugby stadia and we won't be.

• Advertisement

Which is a problem with all the GAA pitches, and another issue I have with the bid. I find it hard to imagine that the IRB would be alright with going to a stadium with 30,000 fewer seats though.

I really, really want it to go to Ireland. But the difference between us and NZ is that they were using rugby stadia and we won't be.

Neither were they to be fair, the majority of their stadia are also set up for cricket as well as rugby

Advertisement