Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From Sean Moran article in today's Irish Times

Ground capacities

Aside from the 82,300-capacity CrokePark, the grounds involved and discussed by Central Council are: Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney (capacity 43,000), Páirc Uí­ Chaoimh in Cork (43,000), Limerick’s Gaelic Grounds (50,000), Pearse Stadium in Galway (30,000) and Casement Park in Belfast (32,000).

In the coming years however both Páirc Uí­ Chaoimh and Casement Park are due to be redeveloped with the Cork venue’s capacity planned to rise to 50,000 and the Belfast venue due to increase its limit to 40,000

Interesting that neither Semple Stadium nor McHale Park are on the agenda. Although I can understand Thurles is a poor option for accomodation and local infrastructure and I thought Enda would surely get Castlebar on the list

Other than that however, the provinces are well covered which gives us (with redevelopments)

Croke Park 82,300
    Lansdowne Road 52,000
    The Gaelic Grounds 50,000
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh 50,000
    Fitzgerald Stadium 43,000
    Casement Park 40,000
    Pearse Stadium 30,000
    Thomond Park 26,500
    RDS Arena 23,000
    Ravenhill 18,000

Certainly a superior roster of venues than New Zealand 2011......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Croke Park 82,300
    Lansdowne Road 52,000
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh 50,000
    Casement Park 40,000
    Pearse Stadium 30,000
    Thomond Park 26,500
    RDS Arena 23,000
    Ravenhill 18,000

Decent enough list, the new Casement is very pretty on the eye but Windsor Park could be thrown in too, the football dimensions might suit better too.
    Gaelic Grounds, Pearse and Fitzgerald may have decent capacities but I would of thought they are still well off any international standard. One covered stand and mostly uncovered terracing on the other sides (ok GG has uncovered seating too). Better than NZs grass banks but poor compared to Englands offering of Olympic Park, Old Trafford, St James etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

NZ were only using that grass banks stadium cause of the earthquake in CC I think. That said I would have struggled to concentrate on the game in that stadium as the view was so stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

JustinDee wrote: »

Why do you think l'Equipe would feel the need to be blustering about this? What would they have to gain?

Readership? Circulation? Web hit rates? Why does any outlet do it? Its a filler about the rugby union world cup in a media market crammed with a large number of pundits.

Ahem.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/apr/02/manchester-united-snub-rugby-world-cup

Are you man enough to admit you were wrong?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

With them looking at replacing Old Trafford with Etihad it is a major geographical adjustment. No stadiums in the north west now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

With them looking at replacing Old Trafford with Etihad it is a major geographical adjustment. No stadiums in the north west now

The Etihad is in Manchester isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Yep, the blue side

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

oops mixed up my ethihad and my emirates never mind no geographical issues

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

TBH I think that Etihad will be better for rugby than OT. Any time I've seen Union / League at OT the pitch looks very cramped, with a very shallow in-goal area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Larbre34 wrote: »
    From Sean Moran article in today's Irish Times

Ground capacities

Aside from the 82,300-capacity CrokePark, the grounds involved and discussed by Central Council are: Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney (capacity 43,000), Páirc Uí­ Chaoimh in Cork (43,000), Limerick’s Gaelic Grounds (50,000), Pearse Stadium in Galway (30,000) and Casement Park in Belfast (32,000).

In the coming years however both Páirc Uí­ Chaoimh and Casement Park are due to be redeveloped with the Cork venue’s capacity planned to rise to 50,000 and the Belfast venue due to increase its limit to 40,000

Interesting that neither Semple Stadium nor McHale Park are on the agenda. Although I can understand Thurles is a poor option for accomodation and local infrastructure and I thought Enda would surely get Castlebar on the list

Other than that however, the provinces are well covered which gives us (with redevelopments)

Croke Park 82,300
    Lansdowne Road 52,000
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh 50,000
    Casement Park 40,000
    Pearse Stadium 30,000
    Thomond Park 26,500
    RDS Arena 23,000
    Ravenhill 18,000

It's more what the crowd does, then the venues themselves. The way the small towns chose a side like Georgia or Namibia etc and supported them to the hilt helped to make the 2011 tournament a success. I wasn't in NZ so I can't really comment further, but I reckon if Irish towns or schools did a similar "adopt a country" approach it would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I realise everything in this thread is a cold and practical discussion right now, but I can I add that I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. My ****ing god would it be cool. I just think it would be the best thing ever.

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Swiwi wrote: »
    It's more what the crowd does, then the venues themselves. The way the small towns chose a side like Georgia or Namibia etc and supported them to the hilt helped to make the 2011 tournament a success. I wasn't in NZ so I can't really comment further, but I reckon if Irish towns or schools did a similar "adopt a country" approach it would be good.
    So the Kiwis copied the Tasmanians from 2003?

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So the Kiwis copied the Tasmanians from 2003?

I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :p

or the Special Olympics in Ireland that year ...

177 host towns - 7,000 athletes from 150 countries - 30,000 volunteers.

The rugby world cup would be a piece of cake after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Quick question : I know GAA stadiums ( the Limerick one anyway ) have a lot of Standing capacity however I don't know if this comply with IRB standards.

For a big tournament would these conditions comply with security requirements ? What would happen if this is a seat only policy ?

Terraces are allowed though I imagine some will have to be brought up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

crc wrote: »
    TBH I think that Etihad will be better for rugby than OT. Any time I've seen Union / League at OT the pitch looks very cramped, with a very shallow in-goal area.

Telegraph saying that the Etihad is only willing to take 1 game so Manchester (and the idea of having games in the Northwest for spread reasons) is looking a mess.
    I assume OT was pencilled in for 2/3 of the bigger group games and a quarter final.
    BoarHunter wrote: »
    Quick question : I know GAA stadiums ( the Limerick one anyway ) have a lot of Standing capacity however I don't know if this comply with IRB standards.

For a big tournament would these conditions comply with security requirements ? What would happen if this is a seat only policy ?

No all seater policy at the moment. Thats likely to change someday, maybe next year, maybe in 50 years. Obviously our bid would need to be readdressed.

I don't see why it's likely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I don't see why it's likely to change.

Just gut instinct.
    If 2015 and 2019 are a success then this model of larger modern all-seater stadiums may be something the IRB wish to continue, rather than the spit and sawdust of the smaller grounds of NZ 2011 and earlier World Cups.

In general these type of world events tend to never go backwards facility wise.

So South Africa are definitely throwing their hat in the ring for 2023, which means it's very unlikely Ireland will be successful. We'll have to hope for the best for 2027 so.

Ireland are going to face competition no matter which they focus their efforts on. I don't see why SA would necessarily have a massive advantage over an irish bid. Though 2027 could be more realistic just because it will have been in europe so recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

It's truly upsetting to know these things are being organised so far ahead...something is being organised which will see me aged 35 and 39....wow...and i imagine im on the young side!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ireland are going to face competition no matter which they focus their efforts on. I don't see why SA would necessarily have a massive advantage over an irish bid. Though 2027 could be more realistic just because it will have been in europe so recently.

That's exactly the problem, also that if Ireland (or anyone in Europe) got it in 2023, you'd be looking at a minimum 32-year gap between world cups in Africa.

The politics of it will outweigh any considerations of stadia, infrastructure etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

El Spearo wrote: »
    It's truly upsetting to know these things are being organised so far ahead...something is being organised which will see me aged 35 and 39....wow...and i imagine im on the young side!

Wow indeed, although unfortunately I'll be those ages in 2015 and 2019 so stop yer moanin'! It's not that bad!

That's exactly the problem, also that if Ireland (or anyone in Europe) got it in 2023, you'd be looking at a minimum 32-year gap between world cups in Africa.

The politics of it will outweigh any considerations of stadia, infrastructure etc.

I'm not sure a 32 year gap between RWCs in Africa is that big a deal considering that's essentially the same as saying a 32 year gap between RWCs in South Africa, and I don't think its unreasonable a country goes that long without hosting it. I'd take a first time host (which Ireland essentially is in my mind) over a repeat one.

I do think a potential 16 year gap between RWCs in the SH might be what kills Ireland's chances in 2023 though.

Advertisement