Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

JustinDee wrote: »
    NZ were not the opening international in the Aviva Stadium though. South Africa were.

Apologies, you're right. That'll teach me to rely on my memory and not check stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If it came to a tight decision between Ireland and another country, it's hard to see what we could offer to sweeten the deal...

I would suspect the likes of Wales and Scotland would be looking for some home games in exchange for votes..

Winters wrote: »
    I would suspect the likes of Wales and Scotland would be looking for some home games in exchange for votes..

I really, really hope that doesn't happen.

France playing New Zealand in Cardiff in '07 was farcical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I really, really hope that doesn't happen.

France playing New Zealand in Cardiff in '07 was farcical.

I agree - it was a terrible performance by the ABs...sniff, sniff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Not really related to Ireland's bid but doesn't merit a thread of its own...
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Menaces-sur-le-mondial/356102

Apparently, England's world cup plans for 2015 have hit a couple of speed bumps:
    - Alex Ferguson doesn't want nasty rugby types ripping up the Old Trafford (capactity 74,000) pitch
    - Wembley (90,000) will be hosting NFL and the rugby league Challenge Cup final around the same time
    - The Olympic Stadium is being reduced in capacity

So they're basically left with Twickenham and Cardiff for the biggest matches and knock-out games; "crisis meetings" are to take place in Dublin on Thursday and Friday...

This might mean matches being moved to Murrayfield or Stade de France but it's difficult to see Dublin getting any action if the Aviva doesn't give much more of a capacity than the likes of St James' Park or Villa Park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The Challenge Cup final usually takes place around the 3rd or 4th week in August so is not an issue. The Super League final can take place in numerous venues and is not fixed to Wembley.
    NFL game depends on season schedule for that year. A Jacksonville game could take place beginning of September, and not necessarily during the RWC timeframe. There is also a second game to be hosted apparently involving Minnesota.
    Alex Ferguson's alleged concern doesn't take into account the fact that rugby league is already played at Old Trafford during the soccer season.

Wouldn't say its a crisis myself. They just need to take every contingency on board for the NFL clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Swiwi wrote: »
    I agree - it was a terrible performance by the ABs...sniff, sniff

I was there and it was a fantastic occassion - for a neutral or for the French anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Wouldn't say its a crisis myself. They just need to take every contingency on board for the NFL clash.

Im surprised the British press hasnt made a big deal of this if it actually is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Alex Ferguson's alleged concern doesn't take into account the fact that rugby league is already played at Old Trafford during the soccer season.

That is only one game a year though and the way scrums, which are different to league, are turning up the turf these days I'd be inclined to agree with SAF. United went through a lot of pitches before settling on the one they had. Games at winter just the ball bobbling everywhere. Although if United were playing Barcelona the next week with cut up turf I wouldnt mind ;)

Its not ultimately Ferguson's decision though is it?
    NFL game depends on season schedule for that year. A Jacksonville game could take place beginning of September, and not necessarily during the RWC timeframe. There is also a second game to be hosted apparently involving Minnesota.

The Minnesota game is this year, there has been no decision made on whether or not there will be two games in 2015. Jacksonville will definitely be playing one game though and the earliest it can take place is the third week in September as the NFL schedule London games such that the teams playing have a bye week before or afterwards and the first bye week is the last week of September. Even at that they are highly unlikely to want the game that early.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Menaces-sur-le-mondial/356102
    - Alex Ferguson doesn't want nasty rugby types ripping up the Old Trafford (capactity 74,000) pitch

Have we any english languages quotes for this??

The only thing I can find is quotes from 2011/2012 where he mentioned concerns but in the 2012 quotes it also mentions that he discussed the matter with the twickenham groundsman who used to be the Old Trafford groundsman and that he believes Old Trafford pitch won't be effected

The minutiae of various games and what Alex Ferguson thinks is not really the point though; Wembley and Old Trafford were supposed to host 8 games with a total capacity of 790,000 fans; if you've predicated the viability of your tournament on selling 3 million tickets, it blows a big hole in the plans if you're suddenly forced to smaller venues and that figure isn't attainable.

Well it's only an issue if they genuinely can't use the stadia. There is no definitive suggestion that is the case yet.

Its not ultimately Ferguson's decision though is it?
    Nope. Not his decision at all.

The Minnesota game is this year, there has been no decision made on whether or not there will be two games in 2015. Jacksonville will definitely be playing one game though and the earliest it can take place is the third week in September as the NFL schedule London games such that the teams playing have a bye week before or afterwards and the first bye week is the last week of September. Even at that they are highly unlikely to want the game that early.
    Possibly but when planning this, I would doubt very much that any clash with established events such as an NFL game would have gone unnoticed in planning stage. I'd say article is just bluster, given its baseless claim about rugby league games and irrelevant gossip about Alex Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How about this, the Irish Rugby team take on the best of the Irish GAA players at two games of rugby, then after that they both have to play each other in two games of Gaelic Football. If the rugby lads defeat the GAA lads at their own game, they get to host the RWC and from there on in own all the GAA stadia and the GAA has to be disbanded.. likewise if the GAA lads win, then Rugby as a sport has to be disbanded, they take over Aviva and RDS and the rugby lads wil be converted to hurlers or footballers. A winner takes all event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Maybe I'm naive but maybe Rugby in England should get priority over NFL

• Administrators Posts: 53,557 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

iDave wrote: »
    Maybe I'm naive but maybe Rugby in England should get priority over NFL
    Presumably the NFL already have booked Wembley, there's an NFL game there every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

awec wrote: »
    Presumably the NFL already have booked Wembley, there's an NFL game there every year.

AFAIK they're one year into a 3 year deal so that shouldn't impact on the RWC

Nope. Not his decision at all.

I know this is the rugby forum, but surely no-one in here is so clueless about soccer to believe that the commercial guys at Man Utd are going to go against the express wishes of Alex Ferguson on something like this? Not his decision, no, but if he comes out strongly against rugby, it ain't going to happen.
    Possibly but when planning this, I would doubt very much that any clash with established events such as an NFL game would have gone unnoticed in planning stage. I'd say article is just bluster, given its baseless claim about rugby league games and irrelevant gossip about Alex Ferguson.

Why do you think l'Equipe would feel the need to be blustering about this? What would they have to gain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The rugby world cup is a loss making event in terms of the direct cost of hosting the event versus the revenue generated inside the stadium (i.e. ticket sales, beverages etc.) Even then, this only comes to about 10 million loss.

But these bids are usually Government backed, as the real cost is a surplus in the region of hundreds of millions. You're basically selling out every hotel in the country for a month, packing every bar and restaurant for a month, booming the transport trade (car rental, bus, rail, air, taxi etc.), adding a massive increased volume to traditional tourist attractions (as many will go to see more than just the rugby) and endless other indirect benefits. There would barely be a service industry in the country that would not benefit, from corner shops to off licence, from sports shop to designers jeans, all sales increase.

Any global event is an economic gold mine. I'm sure the Government would be more than happy to subsidize any loss. We may be broke, but we still have a couple of billion to play with in national annual budgeting that could easily accomodate for this given the benefit it would pay back.

• Advertisement

I know this is the rugby forum, but surely no-one in here is so clueless about soccer to believe that the commercial guys at Man Utd are going to go against the express wishes of Alex Ferguson on something like this? Not his decision, no, but if he comes out strongly against rugby, it ain't going to happen.

The fact that Old Trafford is on the proposed list of venues is not news. If he has sufficient sway to stop games being played there then I fail to see how his input wouldn't have been sought long before now.

As for the NFL, its only one game. At worst it puts Wembley out of action of one weekend only.

The fact that Old Trafford is on the proposed list of venues is not news. If he has sufficient sway to stop games being played there then I fail to see how his input wouldn't have been sought long before now.

As for the NFL, its only one game. At worst it puts Wembley out of action of one weekend only.

Think the plan is for a minimum of two NFL games per season, but yeah, it's not insurmountable. Qualifying for UEFA 2016 will be in progress as well.

Listen, I'm just posting what was reported by a fairly reputable sports paper. Thought it might have been of interest, apparently not. Announcement of final venues is due on Thursday so we'll see then.

I know this is the rugby forum, but surely no-one in here is so clueless about soccer to believe that the commercial guys at Man Utd are going to go against the express wishes of Alex Ferguson on something like this? Not his decision, no, but if he comes out strongly against rugby, it ain't going to happen
    Thats your opinion of course. I just disagree. He doesn't run the commercial and marketing aspect of the club.
    Why do you think l'Equipe would feel the need to be blustering about this? What would they have to gain?
    Readership? Circulation? Web hit rates? Why does any outlet do it? Its a filler about the rugby union world cup in a media market crammed with a large number of pundits.

Think the plan is for a minimum of two NFL games per season, but yeah, it's not insurmountable. Qualifying for UEFA 2016 will be in progress as well.

Listen, I'm just posting what was reported by a fairly reputable sports paper. Thought it might have been of interest, apparently not. Announcement of final venues is due on Thursday so we'll see then.

Yeah, the plan is for two if this year works out, but they were contemplating sending one of the two to Germany or Ireland so might do that in 2015. I imagine two games in Wembley during the tournament would certainly be problematic.

I find it of interest, I just find it difficult to believe these problems would have arisen recently or out of the blue considering the time frame involved, that's all. If true its exceptionally confusing as to how it got this far in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Statium Layout id put

Grp A- Croke park could be used for the First game (Assuming Ireland are in that group), Aviva Stadium and RDS Dublin.

Grp B- Thomond Park Limerick, Pearse Statium Galway, Pairc Ui Chomamh Cork

Grp C- Ravenhill Belfast, Casement Park Belfast, Paric Esler Down

Grp D- Nowlan Park Kilkenny, Aviva Statium Dublin, O Moore Park Portloaise

Quater Finals- 2x Aviva Statium, 1x Ravenhill, 1x Thomond Park

Semi Finals and Bronze Final- Croke Park

Final- Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland would definitely be in the opening game.

Yeah, the plan is for two if this year works out, but they were contemplating sending one of the two to Germany or Ireland so might do that in 2015. I imagine two games in Wembley during the tournament would certainly be problematic.

I find it of interest, I just find it difficult to believe these problems would have arisen recently or out of the blue considering the time frame involved, that's all. If true its exceptionally confusing as to how it got this far in the first place.

The whole thing is very confused. The Olympic Stadium was on the list despite the fact that it might be dismantled. Bristol soccer stadium was on the list but was dumped for the much smaller Sandy Park. The decision to choose the Walker Stadium over Welford Road was a pr disaster that would embarrass the tea lady.

Nothing about the NFL or Alex Ferguson being a cranky b#llix is news, just the mention of a meeting at IRB offices in Dublin this week piqued my interest.

With any luck, the NFL will tell Wembley to eff off and move their base to Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Walker stadium over Welford Road is really odd.
    Something not right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thats your opinion of course. I just disagree. He doesn't run the commercial and marketing aspect of the club.

I think I'm right in saying that Pep Guardiola vetoed a rugby match planned for the Camp Nou. Ferguson could probably do the same.

Who in the commercial and marketing department would be brave enough to not let Ferguson have his way? :D

• Advertisement

I think I'm right in saying that Pep Guardiola vetoed a rugby match planned for the Camp Nou. Ferguson could probably do the same.

Except he was probably asked his opinion and said no. I don't doubt their input weighs heavily but if the owners of the stadium want the X millions from hosting RWC games and have already agreed to it then it's a different matter entirely.

Advertisement