Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland World Cup Bid for 2023 or 2027 - GAA coming on board...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Anyway, seeing as this us about Ireland, if they moved some games here and we put on a good show it would certainly help our bid. I imagine the RFU will do everything in their power to keep it in England though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Motion to allow Central Council to allow GAA stadia to be used as part of a bid for RWC 2023 or 2027 is passed by GAA congress with a 93 - 7 majority!

How times have changed, there doesn't even seem to have been a debate, just went straight to a vote.

Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Motion to allow Central Council to allow GAA stadia to be used as part of a bid for RWC 2023 or 2027 is passed by GAA congress with a 93 - 7 majority!

How times have changed, there doesn't even seem to have been a debate, just went straight to a vote.

Interesting times ahead.

They got buckets of free money from letting Croke Park be used, and money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Expected outcome, but great news nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

danthefan wrote: »
    They got buckets of free money from letting Croke Park be used, and money talks.

Give a bit of credit due,The GAA have backed the IRFU in the bid,Why the cynicism?

I personally think it would be a great boost for the economy and the country,It would be great to see the likes of the All Blacks based around Killarney for a few weeks etc..

One shame is though you could see nearly all the European teams fly in and out for matches and there supporters,So we would bot get a whole pile from them but that is an issue that can't be helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

How realistic is the bid for 2023, I assume Italy will be strong condenders as will Argentina but time zones might hurt them.South Africa are also rumoured to bid for it so where does that leave Ireland?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Give a bit of credit due,The GAA have backed the IRFU in the bid,Why the cynicism?

The cynicism prob comes from the original deal to open Croker to Rugby and Soccer when a two thirds majority was needed for it to be allowed and the final vote was 227 in favour and 97 against i.e. it only passed by 11 votes which isn't very much now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Out of curiosity do we have any idea who the 7 represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So what grounds are in the mix?

Lansdowne Road - ready
    Thomond Park - ready
    Ravenhill - redev complete 2015
    RDS - redev due 2015/16

Croke Park - ready
    Pairc Uí Chaoimh - redev planned
    Casement Park - redev designed
    Pearse Stadium - upgrading needed
    Semple Stadium - upgrading needed
    McHale Park - upgrading needed
    Fitzgerald Stadium - upg. needed
    Gaelic Grounds LK - upg. needed
    Nowlan Park - good standard for low capacity games.
    O'Moore Park - upg. needed

6 of the above 10 GAA grounds proposed depending on bid structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Larbre34 wrote: »
    So what grounds are in the mix?

Lansdowne Road - ready
    Thomond Park - ready
    Ravenhill - redev complete 2015
    RDS - redev due 2015/16

Croke Park - ready
    Pairc Uí Chaoimh - redev planned
    Casement Park - redev designed
    Pearse Stadium - upgrading needed
    Semple Stadium - upgrading needed
    McHale Park - upgrading needed
    Fitzgerald Stadium - upg. needed
    Gaelic Grounds LK - upg. needed
    Nowlan Park - good standard for low capacity games.
    O'Moore Park - upg. needed

6 of the above 10 GAA grounds proposed depending on bid structure
    How do Pearse Stadium and McHale Park need upgrading sure McHale only just completed a renovation and Pearse has hosted International rules before.Gaelic Grounds and and Fitzgerald are both in great nick aswell.Very few of these stadia need redevelopment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

It's not free money, it's rent. Rent which is reward for an incredible and unique achievement by an amateur sporting organisation in building such a stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dani Pacheco

Fantastic News today that the GAA are on board. An important thing this will do in the bid is delocalise the potential grounds away from Dublin to places like Galway, Limerick, Thurles etc.
    Delighted ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

funtime93 wrote: »
    How do Pearse Stadium and McHale Park need upgrading sure McHale only just completed a renovation and Pearse has hosted International rules before.Gaelic Grounds and and Fitzgerald are both in great nick aswell.Very few of these stadia need redevelopment.

Not to international standard they arent. They wont need to be rebuilt, but there will be additional covering and seating needed, accommodation needed on site for media and communications, corporate and hospitality, fanzones and entertainment, merchandising and sponsors setups. The regional grounds have very little of that in place

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Most of the drive to host 2023 came from watching how New Zealand coped in 2011. I was at the that world cup and my overiding thought was if they could host it we definately could host it. Infrastructurally we are miles ahead. The south island has literally no motorways except for small bit around christchurch and dunedin. Barely 30km in total.

The Ireland match versus Russia match in Rotorua was a sell out with around 25k in attendence. I was bang in the middle of the pitch beside the main camera tower. I wasn't seating, I wasn't even standing on a concrete terrace. It was a grass bank and it coped just fine.

The one thing we would need to make sure the tournament would be a success would be a decent attendence at low profile fixtures. Average New Zealander much more into rugby than average Irish counterpart. How man people would turn up to Romania V Nambia on a rainy day in Mchale park ?

You might be lucky to get 8-10k people. Large swaths of empty grey seating in 42k capacity stadium is not what you want.

Instead of picking the 8 stadiums with the biggest capacity we'd be far better off picking an optimal capacity so that stadiums would look full.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I personally think it would be a great boost for the economy and the country,It would be great to see the likes of the All Blacks based around Killarney for a few weeks etc..

One shame is though you could see nearly all the European teams fly in and out for matches and there supporters,So we would bot get a whole pile from them but that is an issue that can't be helped.

I'm just thinking back to the controversy caused when it was opened in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm just thinking back to the controversy caused when it was opened in the first place.

Well, it was a big deal then. Hardly surprising that they were concerned about the knock-on effects it would have to the GAA in competition for players. The GAA also used the money well to develop GAA (Dublin got 30 Development Officers for instance & most club houses/grounds in the country were improved). Thats why the motion went through so easily this time and fair kudos to the IRFU as well for handling the situation really well - I doubt if the GAA would be so supportive if the FAI were the partners involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great news and would be class if we get it, the country needs something like this!

Doubt the RDS would be involved, as having 3 stadiums in Dublin wouldnt make sense.

what is the rule towards terracing in Rugby, as alot of the stadiums dont have alot of seating?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

great news and would be class if we get it, the country needs something like this!

Doubt the RDS would be involved, as having 3 stadiums in Dublin wouldnt make sense.

what is the rule towards terracing in Rugby, as alot of the stadiums dont have alot of seating?
    It would make sense to have a group whose matches are entirely in dublin and it wouldn't make sense to have the match between the 4th and 5th seed in a group (eg Russia vs Usa) in the Aviva.

Terraces are allowed in Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Irish Independent lists the GAA grounds included as:

Croke Park, Dublin (82,500)
    Semple Stadium, Thurles (53,500)
    Gaelic Grounds, Limerick (50,000)
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork (43,500)
    McHale Park in Castlebar (38,000)
    Pearse Stadium in Galway (34,000)
    Casement Park in Belfast (32,500)

(but doesn't say that it is limited to these ones)

In terms of infrastructure all of those are in cities other than Semple Stadium and McHale Park. However McHale's proximity to Westport and other tourist centres in the west would probably mean that it would have the infrastructure in terms of hotel beds etc. to host matches. Thurles seems like it might struggle to cope in that regard, but it is at least close to the M8 in terms of transportation. Nonetheless it seems like Killarney, despite a smaller capacity, might be a more suitable venue than Thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

The one thing we would need to make sure the tournament would be a success would be a decent attendence at low profile fixtures. Average New Zealander much more into rugby than average Irish counterpart. How man people would turn up to Romania V Nambia on a rainy day in Mchale park ?

You might be lucky to get 8-10k people. Large swaths of empty grey seating in 42k capacity stadium is not what you want.

Instead of picking the 8 stadiums with the biggest capacity we'd be far better off picking an optimal capacity so that stadiums would look full.

Good point about optimisation coming into the ultimate choice of stadia. On the bolded part though, I think you'd get pretty fantastic numbers. I mean, if it's a meaningless match for Ireland supporters but tickets are cheap I can see attendances generally being pretty good.

I know my friends and I would definitely go to some of the less important matches just for the craic and out of sheer joy that the world cup is being held in Ireland. A constant stream of international rugby? Put it into my veins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,850 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The independent sometimes really is out of touch with reality, as if you look at the examiner today they have a more plausable list which tallies with where theres relatively plentiful accomodation in Ireland (and duely excludes Thurles)
    It is understood the IRFU have requested Croke Park, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Fitzgerald Stadium, the Gaelic Grounds, Pearse Stadium and Casement Park as possible venues, with GAA HQ earmarked as the potential World Cup final venue.

Semple Stadium had not been included due to lack of hotel facilities but the IRFU’s Richardson would not speculate on which stadiums were under consideration while the feasibility study commissioned by the IRFU was being examined by Minister Varadkar’s department.

The study also considers infrastructure, ticketing, travel and transport and projected visitor numbers, with a boost of at least €250 million to the Irish economy being estimated for a successful bid.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/gaa-stadium-vote-will-give-impetus-to-world-cup-bid-226443.html

The one thing I should point out is the negative effect that such an event has for the regular tourism trade as seen in London for the olympics where all the hysteria over the event puts off normal foreign guests from coming in the first place and anyone who does come focuses on the cities where the event is happening and arent interested in cultural attractions there or nearby.

The Irish Independent lists the GAA grounds included as:

Croke Park, Dublin (82,500)
    Semple Stadium, Thurles (53,500)
    Gaelic Grounds, Limerick (50,000)
    Pairc Ui Chaoimh in Cork (43,500)
    McHale Park in Castlebar (38,000)
    Pearse Stadium in Galway (34,000)
    Casement Park in Belfast (32,500)

(but doesn't say that it is limited to these ones)

Suppose it's worthwhile just to point out that the GAA decision is to give Central Council the powers to allow grounds to be used, but does not specify any particular stadia.

Croke Park, Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Pearse Stadium are the only definites at the moment I'd say; the really interesting part will be seeing how ambitious the organisers are in terms of ticket sales projections and required ground capacity, whether they'll be closer to England 2015 or New Zealand 2011. If the latter, then the need for large numbers of GAA stadia won't arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

How realistic is the bid for 2023, I assume Italy will be strong condenders as will Argentina but time zones might hurt them.South Africa are also rumoured to bid for it so where does that leave Ireland?

Think 2023 is to go NH isnt it? Normally the RWC alternates hemisphere each time. USA and Russia are the contenders for 2023 I hear.

Theta wrote: »
    Think 2023 is to go NH isnt it? Normally the RWC alternates hemisphere each time. USA and Russia are the contenders for 2023 I hear.

This was in the Indo (I think) a couple of weeks ago, stating that because Japan is getting it in 2019, it would be the northern hemisphere's turn in 2023...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Is japan not in the NH though? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

wprathead wrote: »

Technically it is but I suppose its a Tier 2 nation who's biggest rugby neighbour is SANZAR so it might as well be part of SH rugby.

1347951520286.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Rugby geography is generally a tricky thing, where you have
    Northern hemisphere which generally means Europe,
    Southern Hemisphere which means SANZAR + Argentina
    and Pacific Nations which usually means the three Pacific Island nations + japan (though that might now include USA and Canada with their inclusion into the PNC)

...it's all fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The independent sometimes really is out of touch with reality, as if you look at the examiner today they have a more plausable list which tallies with where theres relatively plentiful accomodation in Ireland (and duely excludes Thurles)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/gaa-stadium-vote-will-give-impetus-to-world-cup-bid-226443.html

The one thing I should point out is the negative effect that such an event has for the regular tourism trade as seen in London for the olympics where all the hysteria over the event puts off normal foreign guests from coming in the first place and anyone who does come focuses on the cities where the event is happening and arent interested in cultural attractions there or nearby.

The Olympics were in the summer. The Olympics is known all around the world. Tourism in Ireland peaks in June, July and August. The RWC has limited appeal and will be in Sept / Oct. No clash at all.

Advertisement