Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Q - I have stock rom on my n7, rooted it a few days ago.

My issue now is that when using Dolphin browser, the touch tones are audible even tho I have the option unchecked in Settings/Sound.

plz note I have done very little troubleshooting - I'll try un/re-installing the app later but said I'd ask here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

hmmm.. on Parandroid and the nexus seems to be doing an awful lot of screen flashes.

Might be time to change rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

I recommend AOKP, I've been on it for awhile now on both my nexus 7 and my S2. It is very customizable and also features a full tablet mode like Parandroid

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got the 4.1.2 OTA update this morning. Had a problem with twrp not wanting to install it after it rebooted. Something to do with a checksum it tried to run before installing. Just followed a guide from xda and installed the ota file that was in my /cache/ directory.
    Only playing with it now so no noticeable difference yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

lafors wrote: »
    Only playing with it now so no noticeable difference yet.

When on the homescreen turn the tablet sideways :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've bought one of these for my mam, mainly to play Bridge on, and for facebook etc. I'm pre-loading apps for her.

I would like to prepare a kind of powerpoint presentation to help show her how it works - so that she can dip into when she can't remember how to do something. I've never prepared a powerpoint presentation, and I'm not very computer savvy :o.

Would I be best preparing something and loading it on, or does anyone know are there any apps that I could download on to it, to get me started?

Thanks.....oh and it's pretty cool, I must say. I watched a movie on it (to test it out for her like) and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

juke wrote: »
    I've bought one of these for my mam, mainly to play Bridge on, and for facebook etc. I'm pre-loading apps for her.

I would like to prepare a kind of powerpoint presentation to help show her how it works - so that she can dip into when she can't remember how to do something. I've never prepared a powerpoint presentation, and I'm not very computer savvy :o.

Would I be best preparing something and loading it on, or does anyone know are there any apps that I could download on to it, to get me started?

Thanks.....oh and it's pretty cool, I must say. I watched a movie on it (to test it out for her like) and it was great.

Maybe bookmark the below?

http://cellphone88.com/how-to-use-android-tutorial-for-dummies

Otacon wrote: »

Thanks -I think she would find a block of text like that daunting, she's 73. I had in mind something with more pictures, less words. She has a Nokia lumia, so it's not going to be completely alien (I hope)

It's a great pointer for me to know what sort of questions she's likely to have :) I might just borrow the questions, and take screen shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭leche solara

juke wrote: »
    Thanks -I think she would find a block of text like that daunting, she's 73. I had in mind something with more pictures, less words. She has a Nokia lumia, so it's not going to be completely alien (I hope)

It's a great pointer for me to know what sort of questions she's likely to have :) I might just borrow the questions, and take screen shots.

There's a lot of stuff here including Youtube videos that might help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,963 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is there a way to watch tv series on the nexus? Going to my usual site on my pc but they won't work on the nexus because of ads i can't play them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Headshot wrote: »
    Is there a way to watch tv series on the nexus? Going to my usual site on my pc but they won't work on the nexus because of ads i can't play them

Get Firefox from Mozilla Site

You can't get Firefox from the Play Store yet as it's not supported officially yet.
    Get Flash from FROM HERE taken from a thread over at XDA

Install both and use Firefox to watch TV shows.

Should work - I haven't actually tried it myself so sorry if it doesn't work.

When on the homescreen turn the tablet sideways :p

Had that before the update with the rotate app so no difference.
    I still haven't noticed any. They haven't fixed the Wi-Fi disconnect problem on certain routers, very annoying for me as my home router is one that has the problem.

Here do this

You can't use flash in chrome so this will show you how to install the regular android browser which does flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 QuincyQuinn

I use firefox with adblocker add-on and the latest flash on xda works fine for me on project free tv and icefilms....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Some of you adventurous owners might want to have a go at this.

it allows you mirror whats on your nexus to a hd tv screen using a raspberry Pi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Is it just me, or is Kindle pure gick on the nexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

morana wrote: »

it allows you mirror whats on your nexus to a hd tv screen using a raspberry Pi.

So that on it's own gives me a perfectly valid excuse to go out and buy a Rasperberry Pi :D and should hopefully get over the problem of the Nexus not having a HDMI out port.
    Looks like it could be fun to set up anyways :)

At first I was thinking, wow that's great but now I'm after realising why would you stream something from your nexus to your Raspberry Pi when you could just do it from your Raspberry Pi?

Now I want it though. Anyone know where I can get it quickly?

tok9 wrote: »
    At first I was thinking, wow that's great but now I'm after realising why would you stream something from your nexus to your Raspberry Pi when you could just do it from your Raspberry Pi?

Now I want it though. Anyone know where I can get it quickly?

HD movies from the Nexus wirelessly??? Presentations, gaming on a larger screen just a few spurious ideas I am going to use to validate buying a nexus

HD movies from the Nexus wirelessly??? Presentations, gaming on a larger screen just a few spurious ideas I am going to use to validate buying a nexus

I already have a nexus.

My point is, whatever I can do on the nexus, I should be able to do on my Raspberry PI no?

Meaning it's only advantage really is being able to stream saved files?

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I already have a nexus.

My point is, whatever I can do on the nexus, I should be able to do on my Raspberry PI no?

Meaning it's only advantage really is being able to stream saved files?

can you play your favourite android game on the Pi?

its not mandatory that you do this btw ;)

can you play your favourite android game on the Pi?

its not mandatory that you do this btw ;)

I've no idea, that's why I was wondering really if there was any other advantages to it.

Ya I know but I'm tempted just to buy it now for streaming things straight off it :)

Google Now is getting a bit clever!
    I booked a ticket to Vue in liffey valley the other day, confirmation mail went to gmail, then was searching google for liffey valley restaurants to get something to eat before it. Then an hour before I left a notification popped up on the top for google now new card. Opened it and it told me it was currently a 22min drive from home to Liffey Valley!!!
    Now that is cool :)
    I'm wondering did they get that info from my gmail or from my liffey valley google searches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

lafors wrote: »
    Google Now is getting a bit clever!
    I booked a ticket to Vue in liffey valley the other day, confirmation mail went to gmail, then was searching google for liffey valley restaurants to get something to eat before it. Then an hour before I left a notification popped up on the top for google now new card. Opened it and it told me it was currently a 22min drive from home to Liffey Valley!!!
    Now that is cool :)
    I'm wondering did they get that info from my gmail or from my liffey valley google searches?
    Both I'd presume.
    The new update to Google now allows it to take data from Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Strange one this, have my nexus since they went on sale have had no screen issues etc but it has recently developed a wierd problem. I power it off when im finished using it at night, but lately im having trouble powering it back on. Previously holding the power button in for 2-3 seconds would power it back up, but now i have to keep pressing and pressing and holding it in for 30 seconds or more until it eventually decides to turn on. The button itself is working perfectly, locks the screen everytime etc once its on, so that doesnt seem to be the issue, but i dont know what is.

Wondering is anyone else experiencing this? Oh, also tts rooted but on stock .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

So I got the screen cracked and now it's on its way back to aues in the Netherlands, anyone every try and get the glass repaired before under the the warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

allybhoy wrote: »
    Strange one this, have my nexus since they went on sale have had no screen issues etc but it has recently developed a wierd problem. I power it off when im finished using it at night, but lately im having trouble powering it back on. Previously holding the power button in for 2-3 seconds would power it back up, but now i have to keep pressing and pressing and holding it in for 30 seconds or more until it eventually decides to turn on. The button itself is working perfectly, locks the screen everytime etc once its on, so that doesnt seem to be the issue, but i dont know what is.

Wondering is anyone else experiencing this? Oh, also tts rooted but on stock .

Yeah, I have had this a couple of times. I rarely turn it off but the battery has powered out on me once or twice now and I have struggled to turn it back on when I had connected it to the charger. I thought maybe it would need a few minutes for some kind of minimum charge to occur before the unit would respond but it went on way longer than that. Eventually it turned on when I leaned on it for 10 or 15 seconds. Doubt it's supposed to do that. So the moral of the story is to keep it switched on.

There's a lot of stuff here including Youtube videos that might help

Thanks - serious amount of reading there.

Nexus was handed over today - 14 year old nephew was chief instructor, and my 73 your old mam did very well, by all accounts. Am prepared for the barrage of questions, but mastering her nokia lumia was obviously a huge bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but when reading up on covers etc, I discovered that there is a magnet built in to some cases that will auto start your device.

It's not commonly published, but there is a magnet on the side that allows for the device to be turned on when the cover is opened and turned off when closed.

More here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/google-nexus-7-magnetic-screen-sleep-sensor/

I think due to the patent issues with Apple, they haven't actually openly advertised this feature.

Maybe of help to people who recently just bought their N7's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Got the 32gb in pc world other day and loving it! :D does any one know where i can pick up a case in the city centre for less than a fiver till this one arrives http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nillkin-Black-Smart-Wake-Up-Folio-Leather-Case-Cover-Google-Nexus-7-16GB-8G-ASU-/290776477799?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item43b3a0f067, Also have a look at that case seems good.

Edit: Installed juice defender this morning am seeing good improvements on the battery life so far.

Advertisement