Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

pedatron wrote: »
    That would be great if you could. Thanks!

Sorry it may have been iOS only though thankfully someone has created an mouse app that supports android and the logitech server.

Airborne Mouse Free was created to work with the logitech driver. Just need to have Logitech's Touch Mouse Server installed on the Laptop.

There is a Pro version ($1.99) as well that includes ctrl-alt-delete commands as well as no ads.

Afaik you can also use it as keyboard... so win win!

Use the free credit to buy it, if the free version works for ya ;)

Can flash be supported on chrome browser? just read from the link on first page that its only supported by dolphin.

Unfortunately no... chrome cannot/will not support it.

Plenty of alternatives though Firefox Beta, Dolphin, Boat Browser, ICS Browser plus more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭allybhoy

pedatron wrote: »
    Has anyone tried any remote keyboard and mouse apps that they can recommend? Tried https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hungrybolo.remotemouseandroid&hl=en but it gives me a strange green error screen on my nexus.

Anybody using one they recommend?

I used to use one on ios called Airmouse, worked really well. I used to stream sports from my laptop to the telly and just use my phone to switch between windows etc.

I searched for it on play but couldnt find it, but i came across this..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.androidTools.Air_HID_Demo_1m&hl=en

and this....

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arcoid.advancedtouchpadfree&feature=also_installed#?t=W10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Hey lads

Got the nexus 7 yesterday in australia used the trick to get the 25 dollars in my google wallet but for some reason i cant use it to buy anything at all anyone have any ideas why that is ? is it because im currently in oz or have i done something wrong

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Tried to root using the Wugflash method, but during the root part, it just stays on the bootloader screen and doesn't come out until I press power button to "start" it up.

But I don't have any SuperUser files or anything else installed which obviously means it was unsuccessful :(

Tried then to "flash stock+Unroot" but still the same problem of not coming out of bootloader.

What are my options?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

What are my options?

You have to unlock the bootloader first before you can root,etc

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    What are my options?

You have to unlock the bootloader first before you can root,etc

Yeah I've all that completed. It's just the root stage that won't complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

You sure your bootloader is unlocked?
    Should be a open lock symbol at bottom of screen when you reboot the device.

ongarite wrote: »
    You sure your bootloader is unlocked?
    Should be a open lock symbol at bottom of screen when you reboot the device.

Yes I'm sure it's unlocked. There's a white lock symbol on bootup.

I'm not sure how I can get this back to stock? I just want to start over again, but it just keeps stalling on the bootloader screen when I try and "flash stock+unroot"

So annoying. Any help to get this fixed would be great lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I think since you're not rooted and are probably still on stock rom you don't need to "flash stock+unroot" you just need to lock the bootloader and you'll be back to stock,I could be wrong though.Have you tried using ADB to unlock and root your Nexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

bizmark wrote: »
    Hey lads

Got the nexus 7 yesterday in australia used the trick to get the 25 dollars in my google wallet but for some reason i cant use it to buy anything at all anyone have any ideas why that is ? is it because im currently in oz or have i done something wrong

ta

Just to state the obvious. Have you tried selecting another payment option, by pressing (Pay with:) the currently registered card, when going to pay for an app.

googleplaybalance.gif

(I've edited out personal details, but you get the idea..)

On the payment menu, it should be there, as Google Play balance. Just select it as a payment option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Amalgam wrote: »
    Just to state the obvious. Have you tried selecting another payment option, by pressing (Pay with:) the currently registered card, when going to pay for an app.

googleplaybalance.gif

On the payment menu, it should be there, as Google Play balance. Just select it as a payment option.

Yes it specificly states that the payment option isnt available for use on this purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Amalgam wrote: »

googleplaybalance.gif

Yes it specificly states that the payment option isnt available for use on this purchase

I got the same message as you when I tried it first but if you do it through the same VPN set up as you used to claim your credit it should work...at least it did for me five minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Q&A wrote: »
    I got the same message as you when I tried it first but if you do it through the same VPN set up as you used to claim your credit it should work...at least it did for me five minutes ago

One word of caution, if buying apps through a VPN, with your free credit and prices in dollars, avoid EA games like Dead Space, you will not be able to download the additional data required to finish the installation.

Some EA titles seem to be quite twitchy about region/location..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'm coming to the end of a RTW trip and I've a bit more money than I thought I would. I'm thinking of picking up a tablet here in the states and I'm possibly looking at a Nexus 7. I've never owned an Android device before. When everyone says its a really open platform, what do they mean? As I'm not a developer, what type of customisation can I do? Does anyone have any examples of what they've done? Anything cool?

Also, is the N7 the latest & greatest or should I be setting my sights elsewhere ie Samsung etc? Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I'm coming to the end of a RTW trip and I've a bit more money than I thought I would. I'm thinking of picking up a tablet here in the states and I'm possibly looking at a Nexus 7. I've never owned an Android device before. When everyone says its a really open platform, what do they mean? As I'm not a developer, what type of customisation can I do? Does anyone have any examples of what they've done? Anything cool?

Also, is the N7 the latest & greatest or should I be setting my sights elsewhere ie Samsung etc? Cheers in advance.

For starters you can customize your tablet to look and feel however you want.
    The link is to a thread that shows what people in the android forum have done in the past.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977229

The N7 is arguably the best value new tablets on the market today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

god's toy wrote: »
    For starters you can customize your tablet to look and feel however you want.
    The link is to a thread that shows what people in the android forum have done in the past.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977229

The N7 is arguably the best value new tablets on the market today.

Cheers for that. Is the N7 the most powerful too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Is the N7 the most powerful too?

For it's price yes... faster then most of the top end tablets of the market.

Maybe iPad 3 or one of the Asus Transformer can match it but cost alot more and also 10" screen.

Edit: Actually Nexus 7 kicks most things ass :D

Sample Benchmarks

AndroidDevices.png

iOSdevicestest.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

just realised you can swap between tabs in chrome by sliding over the sides bezels

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WiDGe->

I'm getting the same message. Using a working US VPN and I am in the american store for definite. Cant use my 25$ credit to buy anything!

I have tried it on both my profiles on SwitchMe (1 my regular account and 1 my account i used to get the credit) both with the USA VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I used a vpn to get the $25 then deleted the vpn and my credit card details from the account,I can purchase things no problem.Have you tried buying through the web store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

Looking for a music player that will play a playlist from files stored on a usb stick attached via an otg cable. I can play individual files but not create a playlist. Tried the following apps Rocket Player and winamp! Any tips welcomed

John

Posted on the xda forums and someone recommended poweramp which is exactly the ap i needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Picked up one of these bad boys. Haven't opened yet. Anyone installed any custom rom's yet? Any recommendations? Modaco? Glazed?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

Picked up one of these bad boys. Haven't opened yet. Anyone installed any custom rom's yet? Any recommendations? Modaco? Glazed?

You would want to open it soon as possible otherwise you won't be able to get the $25 credit from Google as the promotion ends today.

So HURRY!

Will do it today.

Also any one notice its really picky what micro usb chargers it likes?

Won't charge from My Nexus One Micro USB charger, but will take its own Asus one.

Didn't know where was a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think the Asus one is double the voltage (or whatever) compared to a phone charger. Same way that the iPad charger is stronger than the iPhone one.

Trying to get my credit:

If you bought Nexus 7 and didn't get 25$ credit (and missing Google Books, Google Magazines, Google Movies) this method may work for you.

1.Make factory reset.
    2.When you get to the screen to enter Google account skip it.
    3.Uncheck all the check-boxes in next screens.
    4.Now when you got to the home screen, go to settings.Under Wireless and Networks click more.
    5.Click on VPN, Add VPN. Now the Nexus 7 will ask you to define security (Pattern,Password,PIN), Define whatever you want.
    6.Click again Add VPN, and enter this definitions:
    Name: SuperFreeVPN
    Server address: superfreevpn.com
    and click save.
    7.Now click on SuperFreeVPN,for username enter:free, and for password go to website superfreevpn.com and look for VPN Password.
    8.Click Connect. If connected successfully you will see key icon in notifications.
    9.Go to Settings, under Accounts click Add Account and choose Google. Enter your username and password, if everything is OK you will get to screen that will ask you to enter credit card to Google wallet to receive 25$ credit.

At this stage, google wallet doesn't open

10.While you using VPN you can download Google Books, Google Magazines, Google Movies.

If I attempt to buy an app, it just commits to buying it. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Anybody using the Dolphin HD browser and finding it to be a total power hog that turns your nexus 7 into a hand warmer?

I've gone back to using chrome for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dloob wrote: »
    Anybody using the Dolphin HD browser and finding it to be a total power hog that turns your nexus 7 into a hand warmer?

I've gone back to using chrome for now.
    Had no issues with DHD myself. My browser of choice on android devs.

I just rooted and installed CWM this morning.

Is there any worthwhile advantages to any of the custom roms for the n7? I'm happy out with it as is (rooted for adblock and also just to have it rooted!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Finally treated myself to one of these today. Rooted, cwm and MCR on already but I expect that will be updated shortly

Seems nice, screen is definitely better than my old galaxy tab 7 but I think I was expecting more - maybe the S3 screen has me joined!

Advertisement