Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

benji2006 wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a problem with the YouTube app? I noticed yesterday that I was having similar problems in the app, but when I viewed videos using the browser (Chrome), it worked fine...

I read somewhere that the android youtube app doesn't buffer anymore. There're mods floating around that have a fix for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

doctorg wrote: »
    Its password changes everyday so you need to go to their site and see whats the new password
    Sorry forgot to say that, no I have been changing the password to the current one whenever I try connect, just don't get why it doesn't work :/
    Could it be my router blocking it?

EDIT: Also, I wasn't dissing the VPN, I'm almost 100% certain the fault is on my end

Does anyone know how I can get the $20 credit for play store that I'm supposed to receive when i bought the Nexus 7, I read somewhere that it was supposed to be added to y account when I logged in but don't see it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

brenbrady wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can get the $20 credit for play store that I'm supposed to receive when i bought the Nexus 7, I read somewhere that it was supposed to be added to y account when I logged in but don't see it there?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

brenbrady wrote: »

2nd post of this thread. You need to use a US VPN and follow the instructions in the post. I used Cactus VPN for the 24h free VPN I needed to get my credit.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    2nd post of this thread. You need to use a US VPN and follow the instructions in the post. I used Cactus VPN for the 24h free VPN I needed to get my credit.

Previous post was about google music.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Hi all, I've unlocked the device but I'm having trouble rooting it, nothing seems to happen when I press Root and then OK. Can anyone advise what I should see, and how long it takes to root the device? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ULMarc

blastman wrote: »
    Hi all, I've unlocked the device but I'm having trouble rooting it, nothing seems to happen when I press Root and then OK. Can anyone advise what I should see, and how long it takes to root the device? Thanks.

What is your rooting method?

Are you accessing fastboot and sending the command "fastboot oem unlock"?
    What operating system are you using. Windows/Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

USB OTG without the need to root

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

One way media transfer though, as far as I can tell. Lovely app, just after fiddling with it, purchased it a few days back. Some very nice little UI touches. Simple multi select with finger friendly UI, then the transferred files can be accessed through the Downloads icon.

---

Just to point out, if you want cheap and cheerful, the following DX items are great value for USB OTG use on the Nexus 7. They're sold in pairs. (2x)

Price: US$ 2.19 (P&P Free to Ireland)

sku507742.jpg

http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-on-the-go-host-otg-adapter-pair-50774

I had these lying about the house for about a year and totally forgot about them, spent the last few hours mooching about, to dig them out and use, not willing to wait for the OTG cable that I'd ordered last week..

So far I've used a SanDisk Cruzer 1GB and a HP 16GB (v195b) stick made by PNY, no problems yet.

No problems with StickMount or Nexus Media Importer. I've also played media from the USB sticks.

Typically, if you're using StickMount, your USB hardware will be listed on the tablet @ mnt/sdcard/usbStorage

Most of the better known file explorers will enable you to drop a shortcut to the above, onto your Home screen(s).

Delighted, I didn't expect these to work. Just me chancing my arm..

Amalgam wrote: »

Nice find.

How long did delivery take from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

ULMarc wrote: »
    What is your rooting method?

Are you accessing fastboot and sending the command "fastboot oem unlock"?
    What operating system are you using. Windows/Mac.

I downloaded the Nexus Root Toolkit recommended early in the thread (version 1.5.2) but I've since realised that version 1.5.3 was available and the filesize was much bigger than the 1.5.2 I downloaded, so looks like I got a bogey version, somehow. I'm going to try again with the later version, should resolve it, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The latest version is 1.5.3
    The file size should be 228mb

Yep, got that one, Marc, thanks. Tablet is now rooted, next step is VPN and some free credit, hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Anyone got Netflix USA working on theirs? Normally use a DNS server change, works on PC and PS3, but the Nexus can't connect via the app or even load the site when I set it. Posting through it now, so its not like I've plugged the wrong digits in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Scratch that, looks like the server was acting up and is now back up, so everything's running nicely now.

Nothing to see here!

OK, I've tried a couple of times to do the free credit thing, and somehow it knows I'm not on a US IP address (Play store prices come up in Euro when I create the account). I'm using unblock-us, which I have set in my router and is working on the tablet. Do I still have to use a US VPN in the tablet as well (if so, why, when I'm connected through unblock-us anyway?)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

blastman wrote: »
    OK, I've tried a couple of times to do the free credit thing, and somehow it knows I'm not on a US IP address (Play store prices come up in Euro when I create the account). I'm using unblock-us, which I have set in my router and is working on the tablet. Do I still have to use a US VPN in the tablet as well (if so, why, when I'm connected through unblock-us anyway?)

Just use SuperFreeVPN that what I used twice and it worked like a charm,

Although its password changes everyday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

are they any docking stations for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Late September\October, Asus\Google seem to be aiming for that, with a view to an official dock, screen protector, Folio wallet etc..

googlenexus7dockleak.jpg

I'm interested in the official hard cover. I might get orange.. :D

nexus7premium325x235e13.jpg

I wouldn't mind an inductive charger, maybe a small frame that would wrap around the edge and use the 'charging dots\contacts', instead of the USB port.

Those charging dots.. interesting to see some neat hardware hacking revolving around them being so accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

Looks like our nexus 7 has an almighty 720p camera in it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1868962

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just after purchasing this and rooting it.

What rom's are people using?

tok9 wrote: »
    Just after purchasing this and rooting it.

What rom's are people using?

I was the Modaco JR rom before I had to return mine and just after rooting mine again so was wondering the same thing. May use the same rom again as I liked it alot (some nice features) and from a quick look I see it's been updated more since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

After using the VPN to get free credit, it required a screen lock by password. But the first three options (NONE,Slide and face unlock are disabled) does anyone know to enable these again.

Thanks in advance
    John

I should point out that I was testing setting up the VPN on my normal profile in switch me, so just deleting the profile i used to get the credit won't solve my problem.

corkie wrote: »
    After using the VPN to get free credit, it required a screen lock by password. But the first three options (NONE,Slide and face unlock are disabled) does anyone know to enable these again.

Thanks in advance
    John

I should point out that I was testing setting up the VPN on my normal profile in switch me, so just deleting the profile i used to get the credit won't solve my problem.

Just did a test there and all you need to do is delete your actual VPN profile from settings.

Long press on it and select "Delete Profile" and the options become available again.

corkie wrote: »

Thanks in advance
    John

Just did a test there and all you need to do is delete your actual VPN profile from settings.

Long press on it and select "Delete Profile" and the options become available again.

Thanks for that, I was flicking through the manual on play books and read them instructions. I was coming back in here to post the solution. But you got here first.

Nexus 7 16GB Owners Reporting Lag Issues with Less Than 3GB Free is a post by Adam Mills from Gotta Be Mobile. It seems owners of the Nexus 7 16GB are experiencing severe performance issues when the device’s free storage capacity dips below the 3GB mark. According to Android Police,...

Read more here

Anyone here have the same problems?

I have OTG on order so will be using external storage so hopefully will avoid this problem.

Now that I have my free credit, can anyone recommend some essential apps or good games to spend it on?

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Volunaryism101

Hey

I've noticed a couple of things a few days ago with my Nexus.

1. was while plugged into my laptop I noticed there was extra folders on the tablet. Originally there was about six or seven folders, now i had seen about twelve or fifteen. I worried if this was some sort of virus/spam/internet crap that had installed itself via my pc. (I'm new to Android but obviously used to PCs slowing down and gathering unwanted snooping programs over the years). I deleted some of these folders I knew to be empty and unnecessary.

2. My tablet became noticably slower, twitter, email etc was almost instant to open, now it takes five or so seconds to open. I've only about 1

I suppose my question is this: Does Android need antivirus software? Also I'm wondering if its possible to reset my device, to wipe it clean and start again? If I do this will I have to rebuy the apps I bought originally?

Any thoughts?

Update: Found online some info about doing a factory reset, curious if anyone has any experience with this. Any problems setting up again afterwards and if apps have to be paid for again.

Advertisement