Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I was the Modaco JR rom before I had to return mine and just after rooting mine again so was wondering the same thing. May use the same rom again as I liked it alot (some nice features) and from a quick look I see it's been updated more since.

I'm using the Paranoidandroid rom. Seems to be working very well with it so far. Nice and smooth. Haven't really noticed much with Battery life since I don't carry the tablet around with me like my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Bloody stupid you have to log in via an American VPN to claim it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Update: Found online some info about doing a factory reset, curious if anyone has any experience with this. Any problems setting up again afterwards and if apps have to be paid for again.

Doing a factory reset is very straight forward and any apps you have already bought are automatically linked to your google a/c so you won't have to pay for them again .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Anyone have any recommendations for a USB OTG cable? Any chance I would be able to find one in a brick and mortar shop in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Anyone have any recommendations for a USB OTG cable? Any chance I would be able to find one in a brick and mortar shop in Dublin?

The small shops that are internet cafe plus gadget plus phone accessories shops that I presume are in every large town/city have them ....they can be called a usb otg cable for a gallaxy s2/3 in some shops . There is a shop like that in Thomas Street in Limerick ..BUT ... they want €10 for it and I bought mine online , delivered for around €2 .

I will have a look for one of my previous posts linking to it online and edit this one .

It was this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I picked mine up on Amazon and it works great Nexus Media Importer I was ordering other items (including this case which is better than I expected) so got the free shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Volunaryism101

Free credit.

While deciding to reset the tab i thought i may as well have a go to claim my free credit.

I've followed the directions at the beginning of this thread, but, I know i turn off location services etc. I assume i then sign in with my own gmail account rather than starting a new gmail account (i've tried both, unsuccessfully).

So when i log in with my own gmail account and then register a credit card, i have used the zip and phone number previously suggested, but then i get a message that this credit card is not usable with this account. Obviously i had registered this credit card previously when i started the tablet, so do i have to use a different credit card now?

Any thoughts?

Update: The actual message is 'The credit card you have entered does not qualify for the Google Play credit offer'

I can only assume they know somehow that the card is Irish.

Free credit.

While deciding to reset the tab i thought i may as well have a go to claim my free credit.

I've followed the directions at the beginning of this thread, but, I know i turn off location services etc. I assume i then sign in with my own gmail account rather than starting a new gmail account (i've tried both, unsuccessfully).

So when i log in with my own gmail account and then register a credit card, i have used the zip and phone number previously suggested, but then i get a message that this credit card is not usable with this account. Obviously i had registered this credit card previously when i started the tablet, so do i have to use a different credit card now?

Any thoughts?

Update: The actual message is 'The credit card you have entered does not qualify for the Google Play credit offer'

I can only assume they know somehow that the card is Irish.

Are you using a vpn?

I used my irish card so that's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭corkie

Don't change your credit card details back to your correct address until you have spent your free credit. I went into google wallet on my laptop and corrected my address, now it won't let me purchase anything with the free credit.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Liking my N7 so far. Form factor is perfect for me, I like my HP touchpad but it is too big to be carried around.

Only 2 things I'm having a problem with, first the speaker is terrible. It crackles once you go above 50% and the sound is too low below 50%. Anyone else having this problem?

Other is that the wifi seems to keep disconnecting/reconnecting on my home network. It doesn't do it on the work network or if I tether it from my HTC One X.
    I tried a good few things from rebooting router/tablet, changing to static address, etc. none of it has worked. I see there's a topic open on it on the official google developers pages. No fix or reply from devs yet. Trying to decide whether I want to return for a replacement or not. Only thing stopping me is the amount of people with other issues from dead pixels to screen lifting to overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

lafors wrote: »
    Only 2 things I'm having a problem with, first the speaker is terrible. It crackles once you go above 50% and the sound is too low below 50%. Anyone else having this problem?
    Yup having the exact same problem.Hoping to send mine back to be replaced as I'm fairly sure it shouldn't be like that.Even the notifications sound awful at any volume over 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

You could try the Equalizer app; set it to Maximum to get a slight volume boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Trying to decide whether I want to return for a replacement or not. Only thing stopping me is the amount of people with other issues from dead pixels to screen lifting to overheating.

You should def return it. As I mentioned before I returned mine due to other issues and my replacement has been perfect... so it may well be a new batch or I may have just got lucky.

Tested my speakers there and like Captain Morgan, I'm not having those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭G1032

Guys
    My wife bought one of these a couple of days ago.
    When she logs onto facebook and tries to write a message the keyboard hides the text field and she cannot she what she is typing.
    I've tried myself scorlling the web page in order to show the textfield at the bottom but the textfield won't scroll up above the keyboard.
    Any way to fix this so she can see what she is tying?
    Tried in both l;andscape and portrait mode and the webpage will not scroll up above the keyboard.

I've searched this thread with words 'keyboard' and 'textfield' and 'keyboard hide' but can't find any info

Thanks

Are you using a vpn?

I used my irish card so that's not an issue.

Yes, I used a vpn. Tried it a few times and always said that card cannot be used. I can only guess that by using the email address for my google play account they know that that card is already registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭iwantthat

Install a vast free anti virus from market.
    It is one of the best and still FREE.

Hey

I've noticed a couple of things a few days ago with my Nexus.

1. was while plugged into my laptop I noticed there was extra folders on the tablet. Originally there was about six or seven folders, now i had seen about twelve or fifteen. I worried if this was some sort of virus/spam/internet crap that had installed itself via my pc. (I'm new to Android but obviously used to PCs slowing down and gathering unwanted snooping programs over the years). I deleted some of these folders I knew to be empty and unnecessary.

2. My tablet became noticably slower, twitter, email etc was almost instant to open, now it takes five or so seconds to open. I've only about 1

I suppose my question is this: Does Android need antivirus software? Also I'm wondering if its possible to reset my device, to wipe it clean and start again? If I do this will I have to rebuy the apps I bought originally?

Any thoughts?

Update: Found online some info about doing a factory reset, curious if anyone has any experience with this. Any problems setting up again afterwards and if apps have to be paid for again.

I suppose my question is this: Does Android need antivirus software?

The android system has a strong chance of getting a virus or malware due to open nature of the OS and also I'm not too sure of the security measures of the Play Store as anything seems to make it into it. Also a greater chance if you have the install from unknown sources checked i.e. installing APK from net.

That being said I have never had issues with a virus/malware on my phone or tablet but I still have an anti-virus running to be safe.

I use Lookout Security & Antivirus and would have to recommend it. It comes in Free and Premium versions though I'm only using the Free.

It scans every application you install and also performs a weekly scan and emails you a weekly report. Can also be used to Backup and Restore and even has a Find My Phone feature. Doesn't slow my device and don't even notice that its performing a scan.
    Yes, I used a vpn. Tried it a few times and always said that card cannot be used. I can only guess that by using the email address for my google play account they know that that card is already registered.

Are you sure the VPN was working?
    When I originally set mine up I created a new email account which worked but I also used a second online card I had with my original email address (which had another card associated with it).

If everything i.e. VPN is working ok then it might be best bet to log into your Wallet from a PC and delete any cards associated with your account. Then after you claimed/spent your $25, you can easily re-add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ULMarc

You don't need an anti-virus if your using trusted applications and visiting trusted sites. This is just another bit of bloatware that will slow your device further.

Have you tried powering off your device and powering on again?

the only final thing that might slow it down is if its internal storage is near capacity. Check that.

• Advertisement

ULMarc wrote: »
    You don't need an anti-virus if your using trusted applications and visiting trusted sites. This is just another bit of bloatware that will slow your device further.

Have you tried powering off your device and powering on again?

the only final thing that might slow it down is if its internal storage is near capacity. Check that.

I have reset the device and it is back to its original speed, resetting for anyone interested was simple and reasonably quick, the slow part was just reinstalling and configuring my apps.

I never managed to claim the free credit, I had used Cabbage as a free vpn.

I've probably had the device over one month now and the only potential problem I have found is a slight screen issue about one third down from the top, about once every two or three days I've noticed a glitch, only a horizontal line, like an electrical or screen technical issue. Its rare enough and only happens for a split second so I'm watching to see if this worsens.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Has anyone tried any remote keyboard and mouse apps that they can recommend? Tried https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hungrybolo.remotemouseandroid&hl=en but it gives me a strange green error screen on my nexus.

Anybody using one they recommend?

I never managed to claim the free credit, I had used Cabbage as a free vpn.

You have only 9 days left now to claim the credit.

I think its your VPN that's the issue. Try using SuperfreeVPN or something along those lines as that has worked for others.
    pedatron wrote: »
    Has anyone tried any remote keyboard and mouse apps that they can recommend? Anybody using one they recommend?

What are you trying to use it with? A mouse for your PC?

Can I connect this to the tv? Just saw somewhere that hdmi isn't supported

tok9 wrote: »
    Can I connect this to the tv? Just saw somewhere that hdmi isn't supported

There is no HDMI port on these

jonski wrote: »
    There is no HDMI port on these

Yes but you can connect a MHL adaptor which does. I think i read that MHL isn't supported so I was just wondering if anyone does connect it to a tv

What are you trying to use it with? A mouse for your PC?

Mouse and keyboard for a laptop I have hooked up to my tv!

You have only 9 days left now to claim the credit.

I think its your VPN that's the issue. Try using SuperfreeVPN or something along those lines as that has worked for others

When I first got my Nexus I managed to get the $25 using my Irish Credit Card.

Just did another test there and got more free money using same card :D
    • Used switchme to create a new temp profile and skipped past login pages.
    • Connected to SuperFreeVPN using the android details: here
    • Opened Google Play store and went to buy something (magazines, movies etc were showing so knew I was in American store). On the checkout screen was given option to enter CC details and get $25 free credit.
    • Earlier I had created a virtual credit card (from my true Irish credit card) through EntroPay so just entered these details into the Play Store, plus same details from before (zip and phone)
    • Got confirmation message and then usual email a few seconds later.
    • Switched back to my main account and deleted the temp profile in SwitchMe.
    • Added the second email address to main account.
    • Now have $50 to spend in the Play Store :D
    pedatron wrote: »
    Mouse and keyboard for a laptop I have hooked up to my tv!

Ah yeah I used to do that with my phone (i.e. use it as mouse)
    Found software on the logitech website and they used to have an app for the phone that communicated with the software.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Ah yeah I used to do that with my phone (i.e. use it as mouse)
    Found software on the logitech website and they used to have an app for the phone that communicated with the software.

I'll see if I can find the link.

That would be great if you could. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Can flash be supported on chrome browser? just read from the link on first page that its only supported by dolphin.

Advertisement