Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 7 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

There's going to be a beta of XBMC soon enough and I'd say an apk of it would easy enough to source soon after, but MX Player would def be top of my list of video players (dice also decent) and it hasn't let me down for any source I've thrown at it. Hasn't really been a definitive list of must have apps for this yet only one I know of is a camera launcher (which i didn't even really use!)

I only want the XBMC player because the lads are constantly talking about it on teamspeak at night using it on their Apple TV and PC's and going on about how great it is .

I d/l'ed the camera Launcher , turned it on , saw myself and turned it off fast .........

Yeah the next relevant thread up will probably be " Must Have Apps for Nexus 7 " and we will probably start referring to it as the N7 aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭doctorg

Hi guys

I have gotten the credit but cannot download the movie, it says not available in my country. Magazine and books work fine without VPN but movie won,t load. Also I tried flash player and its very choppy and has graphical errors when I tried Dino run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hey I can't seem to get the credit because when I log onto the google play store, it seems to recognise my google play/gmail account is in Ireland and directs me straight to the Irish store even when I used the USA vpn thing... You guys know how I may get the credit to work??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Anyone have an idea how to download the transformers movie, or too un freeze the google movie app, wont let me play or download it cause its saying i need to update the app....

I did start with a fresh install, i also did a factory reset and tried again... Everytime I signed in with my gmail google account, it just directed me to the irish store...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

if you have an existing google play/gmail account can it be used or do you have to create a new one it does not recognise ?

• Advertisement

Say if you bought two nexus's can the $25 be applied to the same account twice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Ah its not that bad using two accounts as its more or less a 2 tap move but it obviously would be easier on the one account.
    To make things easier for myself though I just got the $25 on both accounts - all content available on either account :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Can't connect to the VPN, keeps saying unsuccesful... any thoughts?

metalfest wrote: »
    Can't connect to the VPN, keeps saying unsuccesful... any thoughts?

What VPN are you trying to use? And what method are you trying to do to get this working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Hi all

Is there any way to force the Nexus 7 to only use metric? The maps force imperial mesaurments and it is really starting to piss me off. If I plan a route in, say, France it uses Km, but in the UK (where I'm living) it forces miles. Alas I have no understanding of feet and yards, nor do I have any particular interest in learning.

Also, I downloaded a weather app and it forces farenheit as the temp :(

So, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

harney wrote: »
    Hi all

Is there any way to force the Nexus 7 to only use metric? The maps force imperial mesaurments and it is really starting to piss me off. If I plan a route in, say, France it uses Km, but in the UK (where I'm living) it forces miles. Alas I have no understanding of feet and yards, nor do I have any particular interest in learning.

So, any ideas?
    What maps are you using and what weather app did you download?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    What maps are you using and what weather app did you download?

Just the build-in google maps. It seems to pick the units based on the country you are planning a route in. No idea which weather app, I deleted it. I'd settle for metric only on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

anyone reccommend a good photo slideshow app for the n7? one that plays music in the backround would be good.

The WiFi seems to be painfully slow on my tab. Especially when it comes to watching YouTube videos. They take forever to load and stop every 5secs to keep buffering. Now I don't have a slow connection. My broadband speed is around 20mbps and I have a pretty good router. I keep getting only 2-3 bars of WiFi on the tab while on my iPhone I get full wifi network. And the videos load super fast on my laptop but YouTube is pretty much unwatchable on my nexus 7.

Anyone else having this same problem or is it only me? Does me device have faulty WiFi? I did the whole turning off WiFi and turning it back on, clearing YouTube cache, even did a factory reset and its still not loading YouTube videos fast enough to watch it without the video freezing every 5secs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭droidman123

The WiFi seems to be painfully slow on my tab. Especially when it comes to watching YouTube videos. They take forever to load and stop every 5secs to keep buffering. Now I don't have a slow connection. My broadband speed is around 20mbps and I have a pretty good router. I keep getting only 2-3 bars of WiFi on the tab while on my iPhone I get full wifi network. And the videos load super fast on my laptop but YouTube is pretty much unwatchable on my nexus 7.

Anyone else having this same problem or is it only me? Does me device have faulty WiFi? I did the whole turning off WiFi and turning it back on, clearing YouTube cache, even did a factory reset and its still not loading YouTube videos fast enough to watch it without the video freezing every 5secs...

My WiFi on n7 is fast enough, may by a problem with the actual tablet. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in solving or problem.

• Advertisement

I'm getting pretty tired off this tablet now. The first one had serious screen separation issues and then suddenly the screen became completely unresponsive so I returned it for this one which doesn't seem to have as serious screen separation issue (although its still kinda there and getting wee bit worse everyday) but the WiFi seems to be super weak and you can'T properly watch even non-hd videos on it... Google or Asus really seemed to screwd this up with crap build quality which is probably why most people buy Apple because you don't get issues like this with their products!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

Same as Droidman , my post isn't going to be that helpful other than to say my wifi is working perfectly , strong signal all over the house and no problems with Youtube .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

harney wrote: »
    Hi all

So, any ideas?

for the sake of estimating, a yard is a meter. but fixing the software.. dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone got a recommendation for a good cover with a stand for watching movies in bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

I wonder if there is a problem with the YouTube app? I noticed yesterday that I was having similar problems in the app, but when I viewed videos using the browser (Chrome), it worked fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone got a recommendation for a good cover with a stand for watching movies in bed?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80018006&postcount=22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

What VPN are you trying to use? And what method are you trying to do to get this working?
    SuperFreeVPN
    just using the Add VPN profile thing in settings

metalfest wrote: »
    SuperFreeVPN
    just using the Add VPN profile thing in settings

Its password changes everyday so you need to go to their site and see whats the new password

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭irishgeo

doctorg wrote: »
    Its password changes everyday so you need to go to their site and see whats the new password

thats quite annoying to be honest.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    thats quite annoying to be honest.

Sorry the list view but it just made it easier to read like that!
    1. Its a free service!!
    2. There are many alternatives, a few free though most you need to pay. You can get a nice quick, reliable VPN for a few euro for the month.
    3. Its not something you actually will need to use that often as you can download the applications for offline viewing.

Advertisement