Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I think, and hope that the current govt wont get to christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I am so sorry for what you are going through.
    IMO carers, special needs CHILDREN and the disabled are the worst affected in this whole thing(despite what some people would have you believe).
    TBH I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on being granted CA, from what I hear(and cannot provide proof)the above allowances are simply not being approved.
    The case I wrote about to me is quite frankly criminal. The <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">stress</a> that this has put on this person(due for meeting next week) has been tremendous. They are terrified that they will be cut off DA.
    Keep your chin up and know that you have done right by your Mother(which is more than I can say for the country she lives in)

thank you, and hope your friend ends up ok, our great/grandparents would turn in their graves, after fighting for this country to be there for their children. As my grandfather was quote as say when trying to sort out tax returns in Dublin Castle ( he was Staff Sergent there) "I should have F***en blowen this place up when I had a chance" he was right.

Protect the vulnerable, our government don't even know who the vulnerable are, they seem to think that they are the ones to be protected. I need to leave this conversation Now, because I will say something I will regret, also my Mom thinks it 2 pm and is pain, so I'm going to check in on her.

Again thank you, and good luck :)

zenno wrote: »
    We should all just move to australia and build one of these... Ireland is finished.

[<a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">youtube</a>]LOFm9O_r7oM[/youtube]

My Brother and Sister did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Gonna be a lot of families on the street if folks are expected to pay 1000 tax for their house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

CiaranK wrote: »
    Gonna be a lot of families on the street if folks are expected to pay 1000 tax for their house

At this stage it's hard to know which thread to post in between this and the "IMF cut the dole one"!

I have an idea:D

Why don't we all stick together instead of turning against one another(chances are that with 450,000 on the dole we all know someone who has fallen on hard times) and tell the gubberment to go and stick their taxes and cuts.
    We don't really want to keep the well off in the manner to which they are accustomed anymore:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

At this stage it's hard to know which thread to post in between this and the "IMF cut the dole one"!

I have an idea:D

Why don't we all stick together instead of turning against one another(chances are that with 450,000 on the dole we all know someone who has fallen on hard times) and tell the gubberment to go and stick their taxes and cuts.
    We don't really want to keep the well off in the manner to which they are accustomed anymore:pac::pac:

If everyone in the country got together and told the bastards what to do with their taxes we'd get some where. But this is Ireland and there is not a chance in hell of that happening anytime soon which is a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tell them to stick their taxes and then be without Gardai, doctors, nurses etc. Sounds like a great plan there lads.

If everyone in the country got together and told the bastards what to do with their <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">taxes</a> we'd get some where. But this is Ireland and there is not a chance in hell of that happening anytime soon which is a shame really.

Definitely Shame on all of us, I thought my country was better than that, so Yep Shame on each and everyone of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

H
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Just read this article online, and tbh its quite disturbing reading.

Daniel McConnell reports that on average, each Irish household will be forced to pay in the region of one thousand euro per house, which let's face it, unless your on seriously good money, to suddenly have one thousand euro suddenly taken from your disposable income will be pretty tough going.

I personally do not agree with this charge/tax for various reasons, main one being (obviously) having already suffered salary reductions, rising cost (don't even mention the USC charge), but also,

We're already indirectly paying for LA services via income tax, vat etc, and it would be suggested that this impending tax will bridge the gap where LA services are not covered by these taxes.

However, that's the reason we currently pay for various services like refuse collection, education fees (plus school lunches and transport) doctors fees health care fees, extortionate motor tax, crippling fuel tax (which has vat added to that) tolls on the roads also.

This incoming tax has been compared to the rates system in the north, or the council tax system in the UK, but this simply is not true. (all the things outlined above are included with rates/council tax at no extra cost)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/daniel-mcconnell-next-big-hot-potato-is-property-tax-of-up-to-1000-3175429.html

All this, while our leader's are along the highest paid in Europe, and Edna Kenny actually gets more than Barrack Obama, (pretty good for the leader of a bankrupt country)

Simple poll has been added, so let's hear your views.

Haven't being online last two days-if the above article isn't bad enough-there was an article on front page of the sunday business post yesterday stating its expected to be annouced this week the revenue commisioners be charge of collecting the property tax-meaning if goes down this route they will prob deduct money at source-time for everyone here opposed to next years property tax-gather up all your workmates and see the union rep and tell your union rep your feelings on property taxes being deducted from your income-work stoppages industrail action if it needs be.

If everyone in the country got together and told the bastards what to do with their taxes we'd get some where. But this is Ireland and there is not a chance in hell of that happening anytime soon which is a shame really.

And I'll tell you why, good Sir:D

We became a bunch of "Me Feiner's" when we got the sniff of new money during the boom.
    An awful lot of people in the state still have a lot and are bricking it.
    The rest are still hanging on to the idea of being "nouveau riche" and "must get the new car, shoes, watch bag etc".

And fook everyone else

• Advertisement

Tell them to stick their taxes and then be without Gardai, doctors, nurses etc. Sounds like a great plan there lads.

I will go there this once with you:pac:

You do know that Garda stations were closed left, right and centre??

You do know that our healthcare system is diabolical???

This is before an extra tax take like the proposed new tax.

You are really going to put across that this new tax will be for those services???

I will go there this once with you:pac:

You do know that Garda stations were closed left, right and centre??

You do know that our healthcare system is diabolical???

This is before an extra tax take like the proposed new tax.

You are really going to put across that this new tax will be for those services???

You said everyone should tell the "gubberment" to stick their taxes and cuts, clearly you weren't referring to just this tax.

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Definitely Shame on all of us, I thought my country was better than that, so Yep Shame on each and everyone of us.

Shame on the people who keep moaning but won't get off their asses to try get organised to fight back-over the last week in Spain hundreds of thousands took to the streets in mass Anti Austerity protests-there was an Anti Austerity protest in dublin last week only a 1000 turned up-yes it might of being a mid week working day-but more people could of booked off work or swapped shifts like I did to attend -its no good just moaning on Internet forums about next years property tax people need to get off their asses off these Internet forums and start taking to the streets in mass numbers like the Spanish are currently doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it's about time a proper property tax came in in Ireland. I don't own property or live in Irl anymore but I'd have no problem paying this if I did.

You said everyone should tell the "gubberment" to stick their taxes and cuts, clearly you weren't referring to just this tax.

Mkaay
    Where did I say everyone???

It is always the same when you post Chucky!

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse???

You didn't(I notice) reply to the rest of my post re sh*tty healthcare etc?

it's about time a proper property tax came in in Ireland. I don't own property or live in Irl anymore but I'd have no problem paying this if I did.

Hence the reason you would have no problem paying it, hypothetically, of course:pac:

Am Chile wrote: »
    Shame on the people who keep moaning but won't get off their asses to try get organised to fight back-over the last week in Spain hundreds of thousands took to the streets in mass Anti Austerity protests-there was an Anti Austerity protest in dublin last week only a 1000 turned up-yes it might of being a mid week working day-but more people could of booked off work or swapped shifts like I did to attend -its no good just moaning on <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">Internet</a> forums about next years property tax people need to get off their asses off these Internet forums and start taking to the streets in mass numbers like the Spanish are currently doing.

youtube.com/watch?v=qhkAwpN2ap0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Completely agree with you, but please don't assume I'm one of those people who sits on my arse, waiting for something to happen.

Mkaay
    Where did I say everyone???

It is always the same when you post Chucky!

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse???

You didn't(I notice) reply to the rest of my post re sh*tty healthcare etc?

Here..
    Why don't we all stick together instead of turning against one another(chances are that with 450,000 on the dole we all know someone who has fallen on hard times) and tell the gubberment to go and stick their taxes and cuts.:

No much point replying to the rest of your post really. There is a difference between a poor service and no service. As I said if your happy have zero police stations and hospitals open then fair enough, personally I think it's a bad idea.

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Completely agree with you, but please don't assume I'm one of those people who sits on my arse, waiting for something to happen.

Im not assuming you-Im talking about people In general too many people moan about cutbacks and austerity but don't try to get organised in anti austerity groups to try to fight back-on the date the budget for next year is annouced there needs to be mass protests in dublin that very day and mass picket outside the dail itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

The fact remains that the government will deduct it from everyone's wages/pensions and this they will do, so I honestly can't see a way out of this. The government knew straight away when they decided to bring this property tax in that there would be an overwhelming majority of people that won't pay it so they already made sure people knew that they were going to take it out directly from wages/pensions. Is there a way out of this ? let me know.

• Advertisement

zenno wrote: »
    The fact remains that the government will deduct it from everyone's wages/pensions and this they will do, so I honestly can't see a way out of this. The government knew straight away when they decided to bring this property tax in that there would be an overwhelming majority of people that won't pay it so they already made sure people knew that they were going to take it out directly from wages/pensions. Is there a way out of this ? let me know.

If the goverment go down the route of deducting it from source-its up to everyone here that's opposed to property taxes to gather up all their workmates go to the local union rep let the union rep know property taxes being deducted at source is not tolerable-from there Industrial action/work stoppages need to be organised-more people need to get Involved with anti austerity groups in their areas-mass pickets outside fg/lab tds clinics on a weekly basis-on the day the budget is annouced there needs to be mass protests in dublin-the time for moaning on Internet forums is over people need to start taking to the streets in mass numbers like the Spanish are currently doing-the suggestion by the IMF last week about medical cards was met by threats of protests from age action-if the Eldery hadn't of protested about the medical cards a few years ago there wouldn't of being a u turn done at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Am Chile wrote: »
    If the goverment go down the route of deducting it from source-its up to everyone here that's opposed to property taxes to gather up all their workmates go to the local union rep let the union rep know property taxes being deducted at source is not tolerable-from there Industrial action/work stoppages need to be organised-more people need to get Involved with anti austerity groups in their areas-mass pickets outside fg/lab tds clinics on a weekly basis-on the day the budget is annouced there needs to be mass protests in dublin-the time for moaning on Internet forums is over people need to start taking to the streets in mass numbers like the Spanish are currently doing-the suggestion by the IMF last week about medical cards was met by threats of protests from age action-if the Eldery hadn't of protested about the medical cards a few years ago there wouldn't of being a u turn done at that time.

people action if it is peacefull....is only a good way to go, if there is an alternative to the policy they are protesting about.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Read again. I wrote €3200 not £3200.

Your augment has been reduced to what currency symbol goes in front of an exaggerated.figure?

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Oh dear, not another tax grab by the elected members.

If the money was being ringfenced it would be magnificent. The local council here has been spending money on projects that nobody wants simply because they have the money. When they're self-financed and don't have to send the money back they won't do such things. I'm sure it'll happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Lol I'll say this one more time.

People in the six counties are used to actually gettting services provided for the rates paid.
    (but you know this as I've discussed it with you numerous times)

We on the other hand get nothing we're not already paying separately for anyway.

And £3200? My parents and other family members pay 300-600 dx. You're careless with the truth.

Not to mention, down south here your money will fund wastage in the CCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Read again. I wrote €3200 not £3200.

Your augment has been reduced to what currency symbol goes in front of an exaggerated.figure?

Ouch.
    For god sake, your posts are bizarre. First of all, currency isn't a symbol. If one person is talking about €3200 and another is talking about £3200 then they're talking about different amounts.

Second of all, the poster said "as high as €3200", so just because you can name a few people who do not pay the highest amount, does not mean that the highest amount of €3200 is incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How many times is this government going to go back to the well, our leader in 1994 said - "it is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home". He was right, unfortunately, he presently has selective amnesia on such matters.
    ilovesleep wrote: »
    He's humping a German hole, I'll have you know.
    Reverse that around and it will make sense ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mark200 wrote: »
    For god sake, your posts are bizarre. First of all, currency isn't a symbol. If one person is talking about €3200 and another is talking about £3200 then they're talking about different amounts.

Second of all, the poster said "as high as €3200", so just because you can name a few people who do not pay the highest amount, does not mean that the highest amount of €3200 is incorrect

First off, you know dam well that I was referring to a symbol representing the currency being discussed, you, me and everyone else know that you cannot spend a 'symbol' (try spending one in your local euro spar) I put a € where I should of put a £. I stand corrected .

Second of all, I didn't say the poster in question want accurate with his 'as high as' figure of 3200, but that figure would represent a home owner such as a judge who lives on the Malone road in Belfast, or a millionaire who lives in a seven bedroom mansion in the Ards peninsula. It does not represent the vast majority of households in the north though, it would apply only to the elite, people that would have to pay such high rates would obviously be in an extremely well of position. (which is very much in stark contrast to the average household here being expected to pay €1000)

I find your constant need to nit pick at viable arguments pathetic Mark tbh. You, just like DX will pick up on the mundane parts of a post, yet ignore the obvious truth (no mention as to what the rates paid gets an array of services, vs this tax which gets us nothing)

If you find a hole or any intentional lie in any of the examples or links given, please by all means point them out.

But for now, the petty flaws you continue to point out just make you look quite silly tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mark200 wrote: »

Thank you. And I also said that the average would be around €1000. I will now switch to a different currency symbol. If you live in the Newry area and your house is valued at £150000 you would pay £1056 in property tax. It can be calculated easily for any area in Northern Ireland using the tables here:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/property-and-housing/rates/your-rate-bill/domestic-rate-poundages-2012-to-2013.htm

Properties worth well less than half a million (Pounds) would easily pay £2500 or more in property tax in Northern Ireland. And for those people contemplating moving abroad to escape property taxes here you will have to look pretty hard to find a country with no property taxes. As I said it is something we will get used to like the rest of the world and people running up arrears by not paying are just making life more difficult for themselves in the long run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement