Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The one thing they haven't made clear is what services will be provided for the money.

If refuse collection is one, great! I have standard refuse (€10) and recycling €8) that get taken on alternate weeks. That's €18 every 2 weeks or €468 a year.

€1000 property tax less €468 I already pay for bins = €532 extra to pay in year.

I would like to know what the other services are though.

A few times a year I fill the skoda with any rubbish that isn't useful for starting the fire and bring to the recycling centre (3e x 4 a year = 12e) then the odd few plastic bags to the rubbish dump = maybe 40 a year.

So an extra 948 a year. Only other service they can reasonably charge us for is mains water and they're going to do that separately to this property tax bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Mark200 wrote: »
    They don't get jobseekers benefit because they don't pay the appropriate PRSI.

They still qualify for jobseekers allowance as long as they pass a means test.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

Was Phil Hogan means tested when he refused a salary cut?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fine-gael-deputy-on-e110000-cant-take-wage-cut-1646893.html

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Ghandee wrote: »
    and Edna Kenny actually gets more than Barrack Obama, (pretty good for the leader of a bankrupt country)

No he "actually" doesn't.

Seriously where do people get this absolute horse**** from?

Enda Kenny's salary is €200,000

Sources:
    http://www.thepublicsector.org/?p=363
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2011/top-story/2nnn06cabinetvcrpg30/
    http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/the-taoiseach%E2%80%99s-new-salary-and-how-it-compares-with-overseas-counterparts/

Barack Obama's salary is $400,000 (which is €328,974 - not even close to €200,000) + that's not including the $50,000 extra he receives untaxable income for allowances.

Sources:
    http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2010-04-07/news/28389033_1_salary-second-term-legislation
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_will_president_-elect_Barack_Obama_yearly_salary_will_be
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/18/barack-obama-tax-returns-books

I dunno how people can propogate this myth. As far as I know it has never been true since Obama's election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

eth0 wrote: »
    A few times a year I fill the skoda with any rubbish that isn't useful for starting the fire and bring to the recycling centre (3e x 4 a year = 12e) then the odd few plastic bags to the rubbish dump = maybe 40 a year.

So an extra 948 a year. Only other service they can reasonably charge us for is mains water and they're going to do that separately to this property tax bullsh1t.

Where do you store the rotting food for 3 months? :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

all in this together?
    the lying bastards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Soft targets Teddy.

Those who can least afford to pay it, can least afford to fight back.

100% agreement

I know of a person who is not too far off from retirement age(a couple of years).

They had a stoke a few years ago and have been in receipt of DA.

They have been called up for "review" of their payment.

I find that shocking, this is an elderly person who has a serious disabillity and are being put through this??
    Do they think that strokes and all the disability that come with it just magically disappear because "ve nid tu cut ze dolle"?

Where do you store the rotting food for 3 months? :eek::D

Compost.

and it takes a full year, then on a good day I bring out the tiller and mix it through the soil in the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Compost.

I'd say you have to battle the flies at this time of year

woodoo wrote: »
    I'd say you have to battle the flies at this time of year

No, tis a good bit away from the house. Doesn't cause any bother at all. Even if you don't have the space you could use a large covered container to keep them out

Compost.

and it takes a full year, then on a good day I bring out the tiller and mix it through the soil in the garden

I have to read up on composting.

So you can put the mouldy bit of cheese or the stinking chicken fillet you forgot about on the compost heap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

and Edna Kenny actually gets more than Barrack Obama, (pretty good for the leader of a bankrupt country)

No he "actually" doesn't.

Seriously where do people get this absolute horse**** from?

Enda Kenny's salary is €200,000
    Hmm so you mean if I see something on the interwebz it may not be true? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Well given that, as a first time buyer in 2004, I paid approx 16,000 in stamp duty, our fair and equitable leaders might look kindly at homeowners such as myself!

I have to read up on composting.

So you can put the mouldy bit of cheese or the stinking chicken fillet you forgot about on the compost heap?

Yep, and in a year you'll be able to eat it again, in the form of a new head of lettuce.

Yep, and in a year you'll be able to eat it again, in the form of a new head of lettuce.

sssshhhhhhh don't tell the vegetarians!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

It is a flat tax and as such is an unbelievably stupid idea in the first place. Means tested taxes should be raised, this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

We moaned when we got tax reductions.

Tax rises is unpopular shocker.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Same as eth0, we're lucky to have the room here so we have a compost heap. It's really handy and I was reluctant at the start, worried about rodents but haven't had any trouble. I think they're mainly attracted to stuff you don't put in a compost heap but you still think you'll see them hanging around anyway but thankfully not :)

sssshhhhhhh don't tell the vegetarians!

They're probably too busy eating dead mice that were picked up by the combine harvester and made their way into their bread. Or the two legally allowed maggots that are allowed to be in a tin of tomato puree

• Registered Users Posts: 20,825 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The property tax in Northern Ireland (Domestic Rates) can be as high as €3200 depending on these criteria and others:

The factors that are taken into consideration when valuing your property include:
    •size and type of property, such as detached, semi, terrace or flat
    •location of the property
    •whether or not the property has a garage or other domestic outbuildings
    •whether or not the property has central heating

The average varies from area to area because some of the rate is calculated by local Councils but it would be in the region of €1000. Nobody would think of putting up a poll like this on a Northern Ireland forum. This is what can happen if you don't pay your property tax in Northen Ireland:

What if I don't pay?

If you do not pay your rates, you owe rates arrears. You can be fined or imprisoned if you don't pay your rates. You could also face bankruptcy proceedings, and possibly lose your home over this debt.

However, Land & Property Services will usually get a court order forcing you to pay the arrears. If you don't pay the arrears, Land & Property Services can deduct money directly from your wages or benefits to pay the arrears.

If you're unable to pay your rates, contact Housing Rights Service on 028 9024 5640 to discuss your options with an adviser.

People in Northern Ireland and most other countries are used to paying property tax and it is something we will get used to in time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

The property tax in Northern Ireland (Domestic Rates) can be as high as €3200 depending on these criteria and others:

The factors that are taken into consideration when valuing your property include:

The average varies from area to area because some of the rate is calculated by local Councils but it would be in the region of €1000. Nobody would think of putting up a poll like this on a Northern Ireland forum. This is what can happen if you don't pay your property tax in Northen Ireland:

What if I don't pay?

If you do not pay your rates, you owe rates arrears. You can be fined or imprisoned if you don't pay your rates. You could also face bankruptcy proceedings, and possibly lose your home over this debt.

However, Land & Property Services will usually get a court order forcing you to pay the arrears. If you don't pay the arrears, Land & Property Services can deduct money directly from your wages or benefits to pay the arrears.

If you're unable to pay your rates, contact Housing Rights Service on 028 9024 5640 to discuss your options with an adviser.

People in Northern Ireland and most other countries are used to paying property tax and it is something we will get used to in time as well.

what services do they get for such payments.........???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

They're probably too busy eating dead mice that were picked up by the combine harvester and made their way into their bread. Or the two legally allowed maggots that are allowed to be in a tin of tomato puree

Ah, going for the "nobody can really be vegetarian so it's pointless" angle.. very nice.

I often find the people who consistently attack those with vegetarian/vegan diets are usually the most insecure regarding their own animal-consuming habits, otherwise what's the point bringing up vegetarians at all - it's not like they are harming or affecting your life in any possible way.

What if I don't pay?

Lol I'll say this one more time.

People in the six counties are used to actually gettting services provided for the rates paid.
    (but you know this as I've discussed it with you numerous times)

We on the other hand get nothing we're not already paying separately for anyway.

And £3200? My parents and other family members pay 300-600 dx. You're careless with the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

mishkalucy wrote: »
    100% agreement

I know of a person who is not too far off from <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">retirement</a> age(a couple of years).

They had a stoke a few years ago and have been in receipt of DA.

They have been called up for "review" of their payment.

I find that shocking, this is an elderly person who has a serious disabillity and are being put through this??
    Do they think that strokes and all the disability that come with it just magically disappear because "ve nid tu cut ze dolle"?

In the same boat mate, my Mom has server dementia, and has cancer, I just heard I was refused the Care's Allowance, I have being taking care of her full time for the last 3 years. I'm obviously appealing it, when I talked to her GP, he ask "what the hell do they want, someone to have 1 foot in the grave", our Social service Officer, just shock her head in shame as she looked up to heaven, when I told her.

Do they not realise by doing this shyte, they are making people suffer, well as far as I'm concerned they are waiting for my Mother to die, so that they can save my €200 aweek (€0.91 an hour) and her pension. Now they want to put a surcharge on the fact she owns a house. Well done govnerment you are worse than someone who murders someone, at least that person has the courage to put the knive in themselves.

what services do they get for such payments.........???

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79701084&postcount=4398

Lol I'll say this one more time.

People in the six counties are used to actually gettting services provided for the rates paid.
    (but you know this as I've discussed it with you numerous times)

We on the other hand get nothing we're not already paying separately for anyway.

And £3200? My parents and other family members pay 300-600 dx. You're careless with the truth.

Read again. I wrote €3200 not £3200.

Ah, going for the "nobody can really be vegetarian so it's pointless" angle.. very nice.

I often find the people who consistently attack those with vegetarian/vegan diets are usually the most insecure regarding their own animal-consuming habits, otherwise what's the point bringing up vegetarians at all - it's not like they are harming or affecting your life in any possible way.

It doesnt bother me but i'd say they eat a lot more meat than they like to let on. Unless they grow 100% of their own food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

With the current mess we are in as a country...

Why has there not been a coup against this or the last shower of over-paid gangsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    In the same boat mate, my Mom has server dementia, and has cancer, I just heard I was refused the Care's Allowance, I have being taking care of her full time for the last 3 years. I'm obviously appealing it, when I talked to her GP, he ask "what the hell do they want, someone to have 1 foot in the grave", our Social service Officer, just shock her head in shame as she looked up to heaven, when I told her.

Do they not realise by doing this shyte, they are making people suffer, well as far as I'm concerned they are waiting for my Mother to die, so that they can save my €200 aweek (€0.91 an hour) and her pension. How they want to put a surcharge on the fact she owns a house. Well done govnerment you are worse than someone who murders someone, at least that person has the courage to put the knive in themselves.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.
    IMO carers, special needs CHILDREN and the disabled are the worst affected in this whole thing(despite what some people would have you believe).
    TBH I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope on being granted CA, from what I hear(and cannot provide proof)the above allowances are simply not being approved.
    The case I wrote about to me is quite frankly criminal. The stress that this has put on this person(due for meeting next week) has been tremendous. They are terrified that they will be cut off DA.
    Keep your chin up and know that you have done right by your Mother(which is more than I can say for the country she lives in)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

We should all just move to australia and build one of these... Ireland is finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement