Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Look folks I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it really is very simple.

No matter how much tax any of you are now paying it is not enough, ok got that, it's not enough.
    No amount of pleading, or tax everyone else except me, or we're a special case, or pay it will I fukc, or EK gets too much wages matters. We all have to pay more tax and those on SW will have to do with less, it is quite frankly as simple as that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

woodoo wrote: »
    If it does come in it should be more like the British council tax which includes renters and home owners.

Council tax has different bands too. The more expensive the property, the higher rate of tax you pay.

At least with the council tax you get the emergency services, water, bins, street lights, libraries, schools, parks, sports facilities, etc included in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why do **** do they keep going after people who can't afford it?

You are putting all property owners into the category of people who can't afford it. I accept that there are lots of people out there who own property, who are short on cash, but that is not everyone. There is an awful lot of people out there, owning one or more properties, who can easily afford that money.
    It doesn't make sense. Just bump up the poxy corporation tax for **** sake. Companies won't leave over a 1% rise. Will they?

I am not an economist, so i don't know. However, why would the following companies have their european head quarters here if it were not a good deal. Why would we annoy them by upping their tax? Companies with European headquarters in Ireland:

Google
    Microsoft
    Facebook
    Paypal
    Apple
    Pfizer
    Yahoo
    Amazon
    LinkedIn
    eBay

I work for Red Hat in the Czech Republic, but anything financial goes via Cork. Last month I got an email saying I needed to expense the 30 euro (Irish)government tax for my corporate credit card. Every employee with a credit card had that charge(not just the Irish ones!). I don't know what sort of money all that amounts to, but its a large amount and I would rather that amount was going via Dublin instead of Zurich or Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

They can fcuk off and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ahsured

No way I am not paying any household tax.
    In all fairness I have child maintenance,mortgage,car tax, car insurance,fuel to get from a to b.

Not once have fine gael given any one on low wages or welfare a break or some kind of uplift.

Its all downhill with this crowd.

They are selling us out,our fish are gone,our oil is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

unit 1 wrote: »
    Look folks I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it really is very simple.

No matter how much tax any of you are now paying it is not enough, ok got that, it's not enough.
    No amount of pleading, or tax everyone else except me, or we're a special case, or pay it will I fukc, or EK gets too much wages matters. We all have to pay more tax and those on SW will have to do with less, it is quite frankly as simple as that,

Enda Kenny is a bollix and Joan Burton is a bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

syklops wrote: »
    You are putting all property owners into the category of people who can't afford it. I accept that there are lots of people out there who own property, who are short on cash, but that is not everyone. There is an awful lot of people out there, owning one or more properties, who can easily afford that money.

I am not an economist, so i don't know. However, why would the following companies have their european head quarters here if it were not a good deal. Why would we annoy them by upping their tax? Companies with European headquarters in Ireland:

Google
    Microsoft
    Facebook
    Paypal
    Apple
    Pfizer
    Yahoo
    Amazon
    LinkedIn
    eBay

I work for Red Hat in the Czech Republic, but anything financial goes via Cork. Last month I got an email saying I needed to expense the 30 euro (Irish)government tax for my corporate credit card. Every employee with a credit card had that charge(not just the Irish ones!). I don't know what sort of money all that amounts to, but its a large amount and I would rather that amount was going via Dublin instead of Zurich or Berlin.
    But corporation is so low here we could afford to raise it a little and we'd still be the cheapest though, am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Don't get cranky because you can't see the flaw in saying "on average". 10 people go out for dinner, they decided to pay for themselves. 9 people spend €20 on their food, one person spends €100. The average cost of the meal is different to what their meal will actually cost them.

So by your definition, it could end up costing us a hundred euro because some generous guys will pay a few million? The term 'on average' has been used, and id guess pretty accurately.

Not tonight chucky, not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Avatarr

How many times is this government going to go back to the well, our leader in 1994 said - "it is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home". He was right, unfortunately, he presently has selective amnesia on such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ilovesleep wrote: »
    The more money they take out from our pockets, the less we have to spend = more job losses.

There will be tumbleweeds blowing down our streets just yet.

Transfer of wealth taken from the lower/middle class to the upper wealthy class, this will be.

That's how the rich get rich. Man has to close down his business because the public no longer have the dosh to buy his products. Rich man buys it for fcuk all and keeps empty property until things get on the mend. In a few years time when the recession is over and things are taking off again it's worth 3/4 times what he paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

How many times is this government going to go back to the well, our leader in 1994 said - "it is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home". He was right, unfortunately, he presently has selective amnesia on such matters.

He's humping a German hole, I'll have you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Don't get cranky because you can't see the flaw in saying "on average". 10 people go out for dinner, they decided to pay for themselves. 9 people spend €20 on their food, one person spends €100. The average cost of the meal is different to what their meal will actually cost them.

What?
    The average in that case is €28. So 9 pay less than the average but 1 pays a hell of a lot more.

Put it this way - if 9 out of any 10 people only pay €100 property tax on an average charge of €1000, then 1 person must pay €9,100 to balance the average.
    There simply won't be such a mass imbalance with property tax so unfortunately for most that €1,000 average is going to be fairly indicative of the real cost to them and for others it'll be higher again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ghandee wrote: »
    So by your definition, it could end up costing us a hundred euro because some generous guys will pay a few million? The term 'on average' has been used, and id guess pretty accurately.

Yes, if it's in the independent then it's definitely going to be pretty accurate. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Council tax has different bands too. The more expensive the property, the higher rate of tax you pay.

At least with the council tax you get the emergency services, water, bins, street lights, libraries, schools, parks, sports facilities, etc included in the price.

people could prob accept that if thats the way it would work. But in this country the tax will go to waste somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I won't finish off my house...therefore won't have a completion cert, therefore they can **** off.
    When the powers that be cop on and stop wasting money, i'll reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

According to the Times today 50% of the Tax increases and Spending Cuts have been taken by the top 20%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

eth0 wrote: »
    They can get ta fcuk

Shower of utter useless bastards FF+Greens+PD+Independents who ****in caused all of this mess

FYP :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

woodoo wrote: »
    people could prob accept that if thats the way it would work. But in this country the tax will go to waste somewhere.

Except we've had all that already for many years without having to pay the government for the privilege of being allowed to live in your own house.

If you are actually earning money i don't mind tax on that but its not fair to demand money from people just because they have a roof over their head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

But corporation is so low here we could afford to raise it a little and we'd still be the cheapest though, am I right?

When I was on orientation, the Director of Finance(himself a Cork man) said, if Ireland increased corporation tax, they would move operations to Zurich. Zurich is in Switzerland. Switzerland does not have the Euro and is one of the strongest currencies in the world.

Also:
    Minimum wage in Ireland = 8.65 euro
    Minimum wage in Switzerland = 0 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ahsured

My house wasnt finished properly because the builders havent finished off the snag list.

I wonder will I be exempt.

I dont think so but maybe its worth a try

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Except we've had all that already for many years without having to pay the government for the privilege of being allowed to live in your own house.

If you are actually earning money i don't mind tax on that but its not fair to demand money from people just because they have a roof over their head

Its standard in most countries. This will catch the self employed with "low income" and buy to letters etc. The increases in PAYE catch only those in the PAYE sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Vaseline comes free when you hand over the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yes, if it's in the independent then it's definitely going to be pretty accurate. :pac:

Here's a source maybe you can take seriously lol.

The following quotes have been taken from your beloved FG.

this was accurate when they wanted into power I suppose.

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/they-will-tax-the-roof-over-your-head-fine-gael-anti-property-tax-leaflet-1994/

Like I said chucky, not tonight lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

charlemont wrote: »
    The Vaseline comes free when you hand over the money.

No it doesn't, there's VAT on vasoline..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I agree with you. I am not comfortable with a tax on the family home. But if they do bring it in i would like it to be as fair as possible.

I would hate to have to pay the tax while the people in the council estate down the road from me who have as much if not more money than me get to pay nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

But it should be a tax on all working people who have a roof over their heads. Be they owners, private tenants or council tenants. Afterall, we all use the same services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kensington wrote: »
    What?
    The average in that case is €28. So 9 pay less than the average but 1 pays a hell of a lot more.

Put it this way - if 9 out of any 10 people only pay €100 property tax on an average charge of €1000, then 1 person must pay €9,100 to balance the average.
    There simply won't be such a mass imbalance with property tax so unfortunately for most that €1,000 average is going to be fairly indicative of the real cost to them and for others it'll be higher again.

It really won't. Also why wouldn't they leave someone with €9,100? There are lots of ways they can calculate it so until we know then it's impossible to know how big of an imbalance they could leave.

Here's a source maybe you can take seriously lol.

The following quotes have been taken from your beloved FG.

this was accurate when they wanted into power I suppose.

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/they-will-tax-the-roof-over-your-head-fine-gael-anti-property-tax-leaflet-1994/

Like I said chucky, not tonight lad.

Yea, definitely going to take some random blog seriosuly. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Its standard in most countries. This will catch the self employed with "low income" and buy to letters etc. The increases in PAYE catch those in the PAYE sector.

it is popular in this part of the world alright, i wish the govt wasnt so afraid to stand out from the crowd in Europe. I wonder how it got introduced in other countries and how the residents feel about it there. Did they start with a miserable sum and then increase it, what was the excuse for bringing it in and so on?

This tax will be a right bastard if you are self employed and going through a rough patch, or starting up a new company and making nothing, the govt will still be demanding 1000e from you for not joining the travelling community

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I for one am glad I never registered, and I hope all that did, and now see (what we all predicted) this being introduced are proud of themselves.

Wow what an amazing prediction! Well done?

Oh wait, the fact that this would develop into a property tax was noted in the EU/IMF agreement that has been on the Dept of Finance's website for years. The Government has never pretended that this wouldn't turn into a property tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

On average does not mean thats what the average guy will pay. Its the entire tax divided by all the taxed houses. Those in rich houses - the rich - pay more. these one way to get income tax avoiders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement