Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options
  • 22-07-2012 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Just read this article online, and tbh its quite disturbing reading.

Daniel McConnell reports that on average, each Irish household will be forced to pay in the region of one thousand euro per house, which let's face it, unless your on seriously good money, to suddenly have one thousand euro suddenly taken from your disposable income will be pretty tough going.

I personally do not agree with this charge/tax for various reasons, main one being (obviously) having already suffered salary reductions, rising cost (don't even mention the USC charge), but also,

We're already indirectly paying for LA services via income tax, vat etc, and it would be suggested that this impending tax will bridge the gap where LA services are not covered by these taxes.

However, that's the reason we currently pay for various services like refuse collection, education fees (plus school lunches and transport) doctors fees health care fees, extortionate motor tax, crippling fuel tax (which has vat added to that) tolls on the roads also.

This incoming tax has been compared to the rates system in the north, or the council tax system in the UK, but this simply is not true. (all the things outlined above are included with rates/council tax at no extra cost)
    Can you afford to pay €1,000 a year in a property tax? Well, according to the man charged with designing such a tax, that is what we will, on average, all pay once it is introduced. Don Thornhill, a career civil servant who describes himself now as a consultant "who advises on strategy and policy to a number of leading Irish organisations" has recently presented his report to Minister Phil Hogan recommending how such a property tax should work. Politically toxic and highly unpopular, the lack of enthusiasm of either Fine Gael or Labour to discuss the matter is a clear sign of the trepidation that surrounds the idea of lumping the extra burden on the shoulders of the Irish taxpayer, but in particular the "squeezed middle classes". Phil Hogan's department is saying nothing other than they have received the report and will consider it. Even Thornhill himself declined to comment on the matter when asked. So what is going on? The Government, clearly spooked by the €100 Household Charge debacle earlier this year, is caught in a dilemma. Unwilling to increase income taxes, as promised in the Programme for Government, its options are limited and Thornhill has long argued that common sense dictates that Ireland should have a property tax

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/daniel-mcconnell-next-big-hot-potato-is-property-tax-of-up-to-1000-3175429.html

All this, while our leader's are along the highest paid in Europe, and Edna Kenny actually gets more than the leader of the UK (with roughly fifteen times the population) David Cameron (pretty good for the leader of a bankrupt country)

Simple poll has been added, so let's hear your views.

do you intend to pay the proposed property tax? 841 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    17% 146 votes
    NOT APPLICABLE TO ME
    56% 478 votes
    OTHER REASON, (PLEASE GIVE DETAILS ON THREAD)
    25% 217 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

They can get ta fcuk

Shower of utter useless bastards FG+Labour

What house?

<_<
    >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's good to own land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Why do **** do they keep going after people who can't afford it? It doesn't make sense. Just bump up the poxy corporation tax for **** sake. Companies won't leave over a 1% rise. Will they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Why do **** do they keep going after people who can't afford it? It doesn't make sense. Just bump up the poxy corporation tax for **** sake. Companies won't leave over a 1% rise. Will they?

Soft targets Teddy.

Those who can least afford to pay it, can least afford to fight back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

"You can't tax your way out of a recession" .... WTF is all this then

If only hypocrisy and lying to get into power were a crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Is this a different tax from the household tax/charge or the same?

Ghandee wrote: »
    Soft targets Teddy.

Or even just increase income tax. I wouldn't mind that. At least it's somewhat fair.

I think we're actually going to have to over throw the government at some stage. In 2 years time we won't have a pot to piss in.
    Who can you vote for either, the Sinners? FF?
    I'd nearly vote the Sinners in actually at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Soft targets Teddy.

Or even just increase income tax. I wouldn't mind that. At least it's somewhat fair.

I think we're actually going to have to over throw the government at some stage. In 2 years time we won't have a pot to piss in.

Oh god no. Not the sinners.. I'd take bertie back at this stage. At least things always seemed jolly when he was around..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Assuming you don't live in a caravan property tax is just a base rate of income tax that has to be paid even if you're making 0 a year. Putting up income tax won't kill the economy any more than property tax except you won't be taking money from people who are earning nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what's the point in having a poll if the results are hidden?

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Is this a different tax from the household tax/charge or the same?

The HHC never was a HHC.

it was simply a registration exercise so they'd know who to send the bills to with this upcoming tax (and to add insult, they charged you to later shaft you)

I for one am glad I never registered, and I hope all that did, and now see (what we all predicted) the €100 quickly turning into €1000 are proud of themselves.

This tax won't just 'go away' by whinging about it, BUT, by refusing to cooperate (i.e not paying it) it might just.

Your country needs you folks. (while ministers pick up a variety of pensions)

Forget banana republic, we're living in a potato one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

what's the point in having a poll if the results are hidden?
    It's the Irish version of transparency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It will be the IMF giving these orders on this issue in the not so distant future so you will be wasting your time bitching at the government.

Same goes for slashing the Dole and DA allowances.

The Gardai better be well equipped. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It doesn't matter if it's 1e or 1,000e i'm not paying a tax on my home. Same people being hit all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The HHC never was a HHC.

it was simply a registration exercise so they'd know who to send the bills to with this upcoming tax (and to add insult, they charged you to later shaft you)

I for one am glad I never registered, and I hope all that did, and now see (what we all predicted) this being introduced are proud of themselves.

Your country needs you folks. (while ministers pick up a variety of pensions)

Forget banana republic, we're living in a potato one :rolleyes:

So is it the same thing or different(I'm assuming a different charge/tax)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

On average can be very misleading.

eth0 wrote: »
    Assuming you don't live in a caravan property tax is just a base rate of income tax that has to be paid even if you're making 0 a year. Putting up income tax won't kill the economy any more than property tax except you won't be taking money from people who are earning nothing.
    Isn't that kind of a good thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Just read this article online, and tbh its quite disturbing reading.

Daniel McConnell reports that on average, each Irish household will be forced to pay in the region of one thousand euro per house, which let's face it, unless your on seriously good money, to suddenly have one thousand euro suddenly taken from your disposable income will be pretty tough going.

I personally do not agree with this charge/tax for various reasons, main one being (obviously) having already suffered salary reductions, rising cost (don't even mention the USC charge), but also,

We're already indirectly paying for LA services via income tax, vat etc, and it would be suggested that this impending tax will bridge the gap where LA services are not covered by these taxes.

However, that's the reason we currently pay for various services like refuse collection, education fees (plus school lunches and transport) doctors fees health care fees, extortionate motor tax, crippling fuel tax (which has vat added to that) tolls on the roads also.

This incoming tax has been compared to the rates system in the north, or the council tax system in the UK, but this simply is not true. (all the things outlined above are included with rates/council tax at no extra cost)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/daniel-mcconnell-next-big-hot-potato-is-property-tax-of-up-to-1000-3175429.html

All this, while our leader's are along the highest paid in Europe, and Edna Kenny actually gets more than Barack Obama, (pretty good for the leader of a bankrupt country)

Simple poll has been added, so let's hear your views.

The results are hidden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Is this tax for property owners only?

• Advertisement

On average can be very misleading.

Jesus H Christ. :rolleyes:

So even when its 'average Joe' that can be misleading, because then their will be a minority paying less, or the majority paying more?

Expected nothing less from you chucky tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The only reason I will not pay the HHC is because they will not say what we will be paying in the future but we all know it will be more than a €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It prob won't start at €1000 but thats where it will end up in a few short years.

I'd guess when it is introduced it will be an average of about €200 or €300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

On average 1000 per annum,
    Is 83.33 a month
    Is 20.83 a week.

We have the very bare minimum of bills here
    ESB
    Oil
    Gas
    TV license
    Bins (we use bin bags, and bonfires)

All these outgoings, although they come about every two months/three months/1 year for the tv license/Fortnight for bins are coming up to 60 a week.

I didn't add in the household tax.
    So property tax, an extra 21 euro a week.
    Water charges.

Middle income earners with familys IMO are hit the most and hardest. I can't imagine what bills are like for those with a car, insurance (car, house, medical), childcare, school, house improvements and repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Tax on everyone not just property bigger catchment smaller payment. Why should people living social housing not pay.

woodoo wrote: »
    It prob won't start at €1000 but thats where it will end up in a few short years.

I'd guess when it is introduced it will be an average of about €200 or €300

I think that will be the lowest but some people will pay double that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

If it does come in it should be more like the British council tax which includes renters and home owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jesus H Christ. :rolleyes:

So even when its 'average Joe' that can be misleading, because then their will be a minority paying less, or the majority paying more?

Expected nothing less from you chucky tbh.

Don't get cranky because you can't see the flaw in saying "on average". 10 people go out for dinner, they decided to pay for themselves. 9 people spend €20 on their food, one person spends €100. The average cost of the meal is different to what their meal will actually cost them.

This is the argument here it should be for everyone not just home owners. People renting should pay they are using the same services as the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The more money they take out from our pockets, the less we have to spend = more job losses.

There will be tumbleweeds blowing down our streets just yet.

Transfer of wealth taken from the lower/middle class to the upper wealthy class, this will be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement